Gold seller are so much worst than you think

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Akeif.7491

Akeif.7491

If you’re like me, you hate all that gold selling spam. Good thing is that we can now report them and they are becoming less common.
But they’re still there meaning there must be coins to make.

We all know they are bad guys who hack, steal and loot all the booty but it’s way much worse.
There’s actualy black market for stolen accounts and credential for almost everything on the internet and theses guys are part of it.
Just an exemple is chineese prisoners forced to farm WoW gold :
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam

People selling GW2 gold may work for criminals organisations, themselves, hackers or even for some foreing gov.

So please if you want to buy gold buy gems from ANet so they can use the money to make a better game and pay civilised peoples instead of criminals.

Posted by: DJPenguin.6945

DJPenguin.6945

not buying gold, accounts, power leveling services, whatever else they’re offering won’t stop them from making a profit. as long as people infect their PC’s with keyloggers (which is as easy as opening an e-mail)there’s always credit card information and more to be scavenged. given their country’s laws, it’s quite impossible to stop them really.

(edited by DJPenguin.6945)

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Doesn’t mean it’s all right not to try. And there’s a difference between not stopping them and aiding and abetting them, which is what the slimeballs who buy illegal gold are doing. Just saying “Oh, we can’t stop them, their country makes them do it,” does not in any way excuse the practice. It’s honestly kinda offensive to even suggest such.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

That gold sellers even exist means that there is thriving market segment of people willing to pay them no matter the risks.

I have never seen the point of buying gold to level a cartoon when playing it will accomplish it just as well.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

I actually met a bot spammer/gold seller 2 weeks ago. I met him through a friend of a friend of a friend at a bar-b-que. He was this twenty-something dumpy, lazy dude who used bots to make a crapload of money on another game before being banned.

He could care less about it being wrong or even illegal. He laughed about it while stuffing his face with chicken and drinkin’ Natty Lite. I was very amused at how he fit the nerdy, white-boy, gamehacker stereotype to a T.

I wanted to backhand him. ;]

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: vitigis.4160

vitigis.4160

Hello Friend! How are your opinion of destiny of golds?

Q-everyone has it better than me-Q

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The biggest problem is the growth of the market. It’s a natural process, as gamers move on to other interests and responsibilities, new players pick up the games for the first time. Companies that want to make a profit need to draw in new customers both to replace those who drift away and to increase revenue to expand the games. These new players are the most vulnerable, I suspect most of the gold sellers’ customers are people who are new to the game and don’t realize that it is both dangerous and against the rules of the games to deal with them.

Unfortunately, the ones who are most at risk don’t read these forums, so while discussions and warnings about it are admirable, the vast majority of people who see your posts already know this. Those who say otherwise, who claim to have bought gold or disagree and say it’s not a problem, are most likely trolling in order to get you angry. They know it’s a bad idea and probably never would do it, because they know the risks already, but they think it’s funny to taunt people about it.

So, basically, good effort but you’re preaching to the choir here. It’s a lot harder to reach the ones who are in danger because their ignorance of the game is their greatest weakness, and few of them read announcements on the website or in the forums.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

I recall my earliest days with MMOs getting a whisper about buying gold. At the time I had no idea it was wrong. Maybe this is normal and legit? I nearly did it too but the delivery was the give-away for me (in-game meetup to trade gold). My point? There are probably tons of people playing who have no idea gold selling is wrong and not part of the game. To stop the practice would include an in-your-face message at game startup time; so in your face that you cannot not know it is wrong.

Posted by: Xolosheep.1649

Xolosheep.1649

I kinda don’t like the way how they titled that article “China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work”. Just because a few corrupted prison wardens forced the prisoners into gold farming doesn’t mean it is an official policy in China to use prisoners to score a few extra points in their GDP. The news certainly won’t label “UK used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work” if that happened in UK. Sorry I just have to call it out :P

Gold farming / selling is extremely destructive to any mmo. I’ve seen it first hand in FFXI. I joined that game when it was 3 years old. By that time a lot of people already hit level cap. That game does not have DR or any anti-bots measure in place. Hyperinflation kicked in, prices on trading post is so ridiculous that new players cannot afford anything, not even food item that gives boost to stats. Whenever you ask for help such as a resurrection or a quest, people are expecting you to pay them, because they thought everyone is loaded anyway. It became extremely difficult to make progress at one point because I’m not rich enough to “hire” a party to help me get past a level cap quest I just quit the game all together.

I definitely don’t want to quit GW2 due to hyperinflation. That’s why I’m reporting every bots / gold seller that I see in the game now.

Posted by: Akeif.7491

Akeif.7491

I agree with everyone. Especialy tolunart.2095
Still I just felt to talk about it to feel a bit better
Thanks for all the interesting replys and opinions.

Posted by: Caelib.2497

Caelib.2497

I agree, but until they stop bots and stolen accounts … gem-purchased gold will never be cheaper than stolen gold, which means there will always be a market for it.

Posted by: Pictish.3410

Pictish.3410

I kinda don’t like the way how they titled that article “China used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work”. Just because a few corrupted prison wardens forced the prisoners into gold farming doesn’t mean it is an official policy in China to use prisoners to score a few extra points in their GDP. The news certainly won’t label “UK used prisoners in lucrative internet gaming work” if that happened in UK. Sorry I just have to call it out :P

Gold farming / selling is extremely destructive to any mmo. I’ve seen it first hand in FFXI. I joined that game when it was 3 years old. By that time a lot of people already hit level cap. That game does not have DR or any anti-bots measure in place. Hyperinflation kicked in, prices on trading post is so ridiculous that new players cannot afford anything, not even food item that gives boost to stats. Whenever you ask for help such as a resurrection or a quest, people are expecting you to pay them, because they thought everyone is loaded anyway. It became extremely difficult to make progress at one point because I’m not rich enough to “hire” a party to help me get past a level cap quest I just quit the game all together.

I definitely don’t want to quit GW2 due to hyperinflation. That’s why I’m reporting every bots / gold seller that I see in the game now.

Rofl , china is in the headline because it happened in china and the newspaper is based in the UK, the headline in the UK would be Prisoners used in lucrative gaming network, or if they were talking about other countries the china would be replaced with that country. It would take a little more than a few corrupt guards to install or smuggle in a heap of computers and connect them up to the internet. It is not like they fit in the usual places people smuggle things into jail.

Posted by: andreguio.3745

andreguio.3745

Just one single question, why the Report → Gold Seller doesnt block it also ?
One candy for the answer