Gold seller spam

Gold seller spam

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cheeky.1830

Cheeky.1830

Who else is sick of a gazillion gold seller spam whispers? I report at least 10 a day.
What is anet doing about this?

So Cheeky- 80 Mes
Commander- (Hero)

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They deactivate the accounts. If you ever have checked your block list, gold selling accounts go inactive in less than 24 hours.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

They block them as soon as they are reported. What more can they do? It is not their fault that accounts got compromised.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

They block them as soon as they are reported. What more can they do? It is not their fault that accounts got compromised.

I haven’t seen a “compromised account” selling gold in a long time. This most recent deluge has all been random letters for the account name.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Gold seller spam

Astral Projections.7320

I haven’t seen a “compromised account” selling gold in a long time. This most recent deluge has all been random letters for the account name.

They might be using accounts bought the last time they went on sale. It’s possible they buy a number of these to use when they don’t have stolen accounts. As long as they get enough buyers to cover costs and make a profit, then they’re ahead. Even if the account is deactivated before it makes a sale, the advertisement brings customers into their site.

Gold seller spam

Neural.1824

They might be using accounts bought the last time they went on sale. It’s possible they buy a number of these to use when they don’t have stolen accounts. As long as they get enough buyers to cover costs and make a profit, then they’re ahead. Even if the account is deactivated before it makes a sale, the advertisement brings customers into their site.

I get it. Just pointing out that it’s not just players with poor passwords or security that are the issue.

Personally, if these people are going to keep buying accounts just to get them banned, it’s more money for Anet. Would rather that Anet cut the ban time down to an hour, but by all means, let these fools buy more accounts.

If Anet is fast enough with the bans, the bad guys will eventually go out of business.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

I only get them when i afk in places like Divinities reach while doing some food or something.

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Zanderoth.8632

Zanderoth.8632

No they don’t and that is the problem. Three times in the last week when I was in DR doing some banking and selling stuff I was being spammed by the same gold seller once a minute. I would report him each time, but nothing stopped. This went on for 1/2 hour with a total of 30 reports every day it happened. If the same spammer can show up and harass me for three days in a row then from my perspective they are doing nothing to stop it.

Gold seller spam

Neural.1824

I only get them when i afk in places like Divinities reach while doing some food or something.

I’ve run into them in other places. A guildmate got whispered in a dungeon the other night. The bad guys collect names in cities, etc.

I will say this: Step 1: Report. Step 2: block.

works every time.

Gold seller spam

Astral Projections.7320

No they don’t and that is the problem. Three times in the last week when I was in DR doing some banking and selling stuff I was being spammed by the same gold seller once a minute. I would report him each time, but nothing stopped. This went on for 1/2 hour with a total of 30 reports every day it happened. If the same spammer can show up and harass me for three days in a row then from my perspective they are doing nothing to stop it.

They block them within 24 hours of bring reported. Obviously it’s not going to be immediately. Each report has to go to someone, it goes to the bottom of their work list, and it needs to be checked out. It’s pointless to report the same one more than once as it adds to their work load without accomplishing anything.

And I’ve never gotten the same message twice from a gold seller because I block them. If you aren’t blocking then don’t complain about spam.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

I report but don’t block, just to see how long it takes them to get taken down. I never get more than two messages in a row. Never see them again.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

So going off internet speak, 3 times means within the same 1/2 hour. Report then block. You never hear from them again. Just because you report an action is not immediate. Try to step up and take action rather than putting blame where it does not belong.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Block and Report is all you can do. A while ago the gold whispers and hacking were pretty bad, and suddenly seemed to stop. I noticed the whispers back in full force over the last few weeks. Let’s hope the hacking doesn’t come back in full force too~

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

One curious thing I noticed about all of these gold spammer accounts. They ALL have precisely 10 AP (or thereabouts). Why is that?

Gold seller spam

Astral Projections.7320

One curious thing I noticed about all of these gold spammer accounts. They ALL have precisely 10 AP (or thereabouts). Why is that?

Account restrictions maybe on new accounts? Maybe they have to have a few AP before they can whisper someone not on a friends list or party member, or something else they want is behind an AP restriction.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Zanderoth.8632

Zanderoth.8632

So going off internet speak, 3 times means within the same 1/2 hour. Report then block. You never hear from them again. Just because you report an action is not immediate. Try to step up and take action rather than putting blame where it does not belong.

Sorry, I typed the wrong word, I meant three days not times. Each day I was spammed around 30 times. It was the same account all three days that was harassing me. I was curious as to how long it would take them to do something about a spam report so that’s why I didn’t block the account On the fourth day I didn’t get any spam, so I assumed the account was shut down, but today I got spammed by the same account again so I blocked it and skipped the report.

Like I said before, when an account is allowed to continue spamming over multiple days, from my perspective they are doing nothing about it

Gold seller spam

Posted by: vpchelko.4261

vpchelko.4261

Sorry, I typed the wrong word, I meant three days not times. Each day I was spammed around 30 times. It was the same account all three days that was harassing me. I was curious as to how long it would take them to do something about a spam report so that’s why I didn’t block the account On the fourth day I didn’t get any spam, so I assumed the account was shut down, but today I got spammed by the same account again so I blocked it and skipped the report.

Like I said before, when an account is allowed to continue spamming over multiple days, from my perspective they are doing nothing about it

THIS!

BUMP!

SUPPORT PLEASE WAKE UP

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

Are you absolutely certain it was the same account? Most gold-seller accounts and characters are random strings of letters, which means it’s very difficult to tell them apart by memory alone. I very much doubt it was the same account on all four days.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Remember…if you block the account, you can monitor it much easier than by memory alone. It is unlikely it was the same account for 3 or 4 days. Those accounts usually have very similar names, as they seem to create many at the same time.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Just look at all the posts here of people who still don’t get it with the actual scam mail,
even if there stand “This is from another player and not from ANet” at the bottom.

I really can’t get whats so hard to understand there .. but thats one of the reason
why its so easy for the goldspammers to have new accounts .

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

If Anet is fast enough with the bans, the bad guys will eventually go out of business.

How would you propose they go about that? On one side you have gold sellers using bots to spam indiscriminately and on the other side you have people checking every report (not just gold selling reports) against the logs to make sure it’s not a false/accidental report. They can only work so fast.

I suppose someone could write a script to automate the process, but you really don’t want bans to be issued automatically.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

What I would like to know is how they get our account names. After i blacklist them i go and check where in the game they r and most of them seem to still be in the 1st instance after creating a character.

Gold seller spam

Beldin.5498

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Gold seller spam

Astral Projections.7320

What I would like to know is how they get our account names. After i blacklist them i go and check where in the game they r and most of them seem to still be in the 1st instance after creating a character.

https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na/achievements

All the Display names (account names are the email you use to login) and the approximately last time played so they can weed out active players from non players.
They might have some sort of macro based off the Leaderboards telling them when people log on.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The leaderboards are public, these forums are public, and compromised accounts are filled with account names display names of friends/followers/guildies. No mystery.

_edit: I’ve replaced “account name” with “display name,” as technically ANet uses “account name” to mean your email address (which no one can see) and “display name” to be the userID.#### name which is publicly available to anyone willing to invest a few minutes.

A number of accounts get bought with stolen credit cards, i.e. they don’t have to compromise a GW2 player to setup a spam-generating account. In fact, it’s probably safer to use compromised GW2 accounts to do the actual trading and use the bought-with-stolen-funds accounts as throwaways — those will be disabled anyhow, as soon as the credit card company becomes aware of the theft.

Finally, to address the OP’s original question: what is ANet doing about this? Besides banning specific accounts, ANet established the gem conversion system, which reduces a lot of the profit from gold selling: the higher the gold:gem ratio is, the more gold the sellers have to farm to be able to compete.

Unfortunately, there are still enough players around who are willing to buy from gold traders to get a few more gems for their dollar, pound, or euro. As long as those players exist, the gold sellers will find a way to profit.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Gold seller spam

Astral Projections.7320

Huh. I never thought about stolen credit cards. They can buy, use and lose multiples of accounts without excessive cost to themselves as long as there isn’t a way for the card use to be tracked to the main business. That should be easy enough with a few precautions.

Gold seller spam

Beldin.5498

Huh. I never thought about stolen credit cards. They can buy, use and lose multiples of accounts without excessive cost to themselves as long as there isn’t a way for the card use to be tracked to the main business. That should be easy enough with a few precautions.

Not to forget that game developers earn no money on those and have a lot of
work and cost to ban the accounts and pay back the money to the legal owner
of the credit cards.

All the Display names (account names are the email you use to login) and the approximately last time played so they can weed out active players from non players.
They might have some sort of macro based off the Leaderboards telling them when people log on.

I don’t see any email addresses there. The account names are NOT used to login.

However i also don’t like that we have our emails as login names, and would
prefer to use anything we want for that.

Gold seller spam

Astral Projections.7320

Not to forget that game developers earn no money on those and have a lot of
work and cost to ban the accounts and pay back the money to the legal owner
of the credit cards.

I don’t see any email addresses there. The account names are NOT used to login.

However i also don’t like that we have our emails as login names, and would
prefer to use anything we want for that.

You misread me. I said the Display names (in your case, Beldin.5498) is on the leaderboards. I was explaining to the person I quoted, who was using Account name instead of the term Display name, the difference between the two.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/27697643-Trouble-Logging-In
“Your Account Name is the e-mail address you used to register your account.”

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/938738-guild-wars-2/62500796
“Your display name is a unique account identifier that consists of a name and a randomly generated four-digit code. You’ll use it on the Forums, and in Guild Wars 2 after launch.”

And yes, you do use your Account Name (email) to log in.

Gold seller spam

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Right, I used “account name” incorrectly. I’ll fix it above (which will cause some responses to seem off-topic). (The jargon is unfortunate, since “account name” is a reasonable term for multiple uses, but that’s completely off topic.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gold seller spam

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

I dont care for gold sellers anymore.Report and keep playing.Or make fun to them and wisper back “do you sell anything blue” or “get a real job” etc.