Gold seller spam at new heights

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fikfain.5849

Fikfain.5849

Please, ANet.

I can’t play a 10 min PVP match without receiving at least 5 different gold spam whispers. They’re not creative names. They’re not creative messages.

How can you not figure out someone’s going to be a gold spammer at account creation? Or just do better checks against their whispers to see that they’re just altering the last like 4 letters randomly to bypass your weak spam detection?

Or anything better than the current method you’re using. Because it’s not working. They’re winning. I submit and block every single one and I just get more. There’s a guy in my guild who thinks every game maker colludes with the sellers because at least the spammer keeps making accounts. If you told me that by reporting them I was somehow signalling that at least I’m seeing their messages so they should send more…I wouldn’t be surprised at this point.

Please. Do something. Something more, anyways.

Fikbomber — Big Red and White Charr Engineer
Fikfain — Little Purple Sylvari Mesmer
Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Considering that the gold sellers use credit card and bank fraud to get accounts, there’s no profit for ANet to sell them accounts. Each account they get through fraud ends up with charges reversed and probably credit card fees for ANet to pay.

As to the names, how is a computer supposed to know which name is gibberish and which name has meaning to know to ban one and not the other? For example, Fikfain looks like gibberish to me.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not to mention I’ve seen some actual players with names like Fssdfgdf; I guess they think it’s amusing. Or the compromised accounts with ‘regular’ names.

As always, block and report. Rest assured, it’s not just one person creating accounts.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

They’re working on it. The gold seller issue is complicated, because with every invention Anet makes to stop them there’s a real life human being who programs around it on the other end.

It comes in waves, and nobody likes them, so take solace in the fact that Anet is working on it.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Be patient,report and let Anet work it out… outside of the annoyance factor, it doesn’t effect you if you ignore them. The flip side is Anet going super-aggro on the gold seller and a bunch of innocents (potentially including yourself) get pinged with false positive bans.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve sometimes wondered why they seem to mostly target PvP and WvW players. Are those players more likely to buy gold?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

It may seem like they aren’t doing anything for a while but then you hear of the massive ban hammer taking place and people start complaining that they were banned for no reason and then we find out then yes they had bought gold or whatever and there was a real reason to ban them.

ANet has said in the past that the reason it takes a little while to ban is because they collect data and try to figure the code behind the scammers and ban off of that and catch quite a few all at one time. Banning one account at a time is not as cost efficient I guess.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

If I were Anet, your name would be flagged as a gold seller account. That being said, how do you want Anet to stop it?

They can put up a roadblock like you suggested, but do you really think gold sellers will just “Oh, they took away random names, guess we’re done”? No, they will come up with another method.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Well at one time I use to report → pm them a buncha nasty stuff → block. I kinda miss Dhuum using some sucker for practicing his golf swing in Kamadan.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

I dont really get gold seller spam in wvw or pvp….

However, I noticed I do get those whispers when I log into my mules I have in the DR, non terrace bank.

Teh Ouchies

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

ANet has said in the past that the reason it takes a little while to ban is because they collect data and try to figure the code behind the scammers and ban off of that and catch quite a few all at one time. Banning one account at a time is not as cost efficient I guess.

I think this is a fairytale. My block list is sooo long with the same account names since ever.

Nowadays I only block or ignore, usually in the PvP lobby.

outside of the annoyance factor, it doesn’t effect you if you ignore them.

yeah, ignore mode ON

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I dont really get gold seller spam in wvw or pvp….

However, I noticed I do get those whispers when I log into my mules I have in the DR, non terrace bank.

Seconded – I’ve noticed my spam comes when I’m in a city hub – be it LA, The Grove, wherever. It’s quite rare for it to come about when I’m in open world.

I do recall having a message or two when in the PvP lobby, but I’m not there enough to note if it’s a thing or not.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”