Gold sellers now including 1 copper in their mail so you can't delete it...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

What should one do when he gets such a mail? Accepting the copper to get rid of the mail involves the risk of getting your account flagged for gold buying…

I used “return to sender” – did I do the proper thing?

Thanks!

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

ANet’s said to just take the copper and report the message. You won’t get banned. Thread was here a few hours ago but it got locked, I think there’s an announcement about this.

Now, if they start attaching gold to their messages this could become an issue, but that would probably hurt their bottom line just a bit =p

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Ah ok missed that, thanks Revenant.
Well, for your info, using “return to sender” works too, and you don’t even accept 1 copper from a <censored> spammer.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Yea man, accept the free money, report em, move on. I’m hoping for 15 spam messages if they include money.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

it would kill the economy if they started sending higher amounts than 1c

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Posted by: linatribal.5246

linatribal.5246

I haven’t received any spam mail with copper included YET, but glad I noticed this thread. I have just been reporting the messages — but glad to know if we take the copper we won’t get banned. I’m also glad they finally add a “Selling gold” reason when reporting — it’s getting a little crazy.

Now, off to check the announcements to see what else I have missed. Thanks for the info, Revenant.

“I love the Power Glove. It’s so bad.”
GM of Silent Striders (Borlis Pass).
AKA: Rayva Galeshot or Rayva Grimclaw

Posted by: Swagman.9013

Swagman.9013

They would never send more than 1c anyway bot farmers need to max their profits so that won’t ever happen.

Anyway no big deal to me, they give me a copper to press 1 extra button, more effort on their end anyway.

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everybody.

As I said, the team is fully aware of this issue and already working on it. For the moment you can keep those coppers or return the email (ok, a copper is a copper! ), but please, keep on reporting those fellows. We will forward this to the team to see if we can get an official statement today.

Thanks for your concerns!

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

i agree with the idea of only allowing selective mail.
i am tired of reporting this, also ensure reporting blocks the senders account please.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

I just want to chime in in case there will be the option to block mail.

First blocking non-friends/guildies/rewards should be the default so that new players who are less inclined to read forums and such don’t get stuck with being flagged as accepting money from gold sellers.

Second, be sure accepting rewards from heart quests can’t be blocked at all, or someone is gonna complain about unintentionally blocking reward mail.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Bsquared.3421

Bsquared.3421

Thanks for the clarification CC Eva. I’ll gladly take the free 1c, and I’ll even more gladly continue to report these scumbags.

Although I feel a little bad when I have to report someone with a regular sounding name and not “wdgsafs” cause I figure it’s someone’s hacked account.

Oh well, reporting it in any event helps you guys identify the hacked account, so it’s a win-win, I just feel bad for the guy/gal who got their account hacked…

Nerfedname – Elementalist
Legion of Anvil Rock [XXIV] – Anvil Rock

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Yeah they are clutching at straws to get our attention. I just report every single gold spammer for spamming.

It is sad that they are hacked accounts, but the sooner they are reported the better it is. I’ve had the experience of having my account hacked in GW1 and lost all my obsidian armour sets. It killed the game for me after years of play. Just couldn’t get back in and farm all that back together. No help from Anet by the way on retrieval so I hoped they learned from that and they can do more for us know. It really sucks as an experience.

So yeh, SWTOR was apparently airtight cause in 8 months I got 2 spam messages in total, but hopefully Anet can work it out their own way

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

If they want to send me money in return for me reporting them then so be it.

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

I remember EVE had a feature where you could make it so people who weren’t on your friends list would have to pay a fee to send you mail and you could set it as high as you wanted. I had mine at something like a million. Never got any spam.

Posted by: akuzum.5263

akuzum.5263

I now some MMORPGs that takes fee from mailing like GW2 takes posting fee from Trade Post, they can take mail fees. It is something

Posted by: Darkorical.9213

Darkorical.9213

I ask this not because it has happened to my knowledge but because I sent someone 1 gold instead of 1 silver a while back tho they were nice enough to send it back, I realize mistakes happen.

So what happens if a gold seller messes up and sends 1 gold instead of 1 copper can we keep that too?

Posted by: Vithaar.8637

Vithaar.8637

I got about 10 mail a day, kitten I’ll re rich !!1 no need to buy gold

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

Considering how many of these I get, I will soon be rich! Rich I tell you!

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

I ask this not because it has happened to my knowledge but because I sent someone 1 gold instead of 1 silver a while back tho they were nice enough to send it back, I realize mistakes happen.

So what happens if a gold seller messes up and sends 1 gold instead of 1 copper can we keep that too?

Free gold. :P

Posted by: dragonfire.4638

dragonfire.4638

i most be very unlucky. I get a bunch of spam but no copper. I can use that one copper lol.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Because if they truly cared about their “24/7 support” and customer satisfaction, they would totally make mail you cannot delete!

In all seriousness, I don’t get the logic. They think if someone can’t figure out how to delete their mail that they would visit their website? And this doesn’t make them look worse than they are?

Even if there wasn’t something wrong with gold selling, what they’re doing is HORRIBLE advertising!

Stop harassing people and get a real job!

Posted by: SparkStormrider.4512

SparkStormrider.4512

I like the system that Eve has for this. People outside your friends list would be charged a fee for sending a message to you. You had the option of turning this on or off, and how much it would charge.

I say let us charge 1 gold per message and it will stop the gold farmers from spamming.

In war the worst thing you could do is die for your country, make the other jerk die for his!

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

It seems a server-side spam filter is needed to

1. Block any chain e-mail that’s not sent between guild mates (sometimes officers want to send out form e-mails). This action would stop 99% of it

2. Filter all e-mail pre-delivery for keywords (considering how obvious some of the content has been it’s obvious this is not happening

3. Prevent URL posting to map chat. Add gold selling keyboard filter to map chat.

Posted by: cilice.1948

cilice.1948

I like the system that Eve has for this. People outside your friends list would be charged a fee for sending a message to you. You had the option of turning this on or off, and how much it would charge.

I say let us charge 1 gold per message and it will stop the gold farmers from spamming.

Ha! If this game had that system I wouldn’t charge a gold, I’d charge as much as I think they might actually pay. Just charge 50 copper for every spam message. Farm the farmers =P

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

I will happily accept any gold seller copper and then report them, as advised. I’ll be considering it a fee from them for wasting my time.

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

If that’s the price for your time, you’re pretty cheap ChairGraveyard :P

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

Posted by: ChairGraveyard.2967

ChairGraveyard.2967

Hey, better to be paid 1 copper to delete and report the email than 0!

Posted by: JazzyJay.1367

JazzyJay.1367

I like the idea of the postage fee. How about 10 copper? Another way to really get them is to increase the cost per message over a given amount of time… allow the first 5 messages in an hour to go for 10c each. After that add a cumulative 10c for messages over 5. The 6th message in an hour would cost 20c, the 7th would cots 30c, the 8th would cost 40c, etc.,

Maybe with the extra $$$ sink in the mail system, we can get lower waypoint costs.

(edited by JazzyJay.1367)

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

Thanks for addressing this so quickly, Anet…but I’m gonna return it, copper and all. I don’t want so much as a centaur’s dirty hoof from those…kittens.

:)

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

That they’re adding a copper to their mails means that they’re angling for greater exposure. I take it as an encouraging sign.

Please give us the ability to filter our mail. That’ll stop them dead in their tracks, force them out in the open to advertise, limit their reach, and make them easier to spot.

Make full remote access to the BLTP easier for players to get, and yank out most of the BLTP merchants in the game. The RMTers will then congregate around the remaining merchants, which will make them even easier to pick off.

Significantly limit the broadcast range of local chat. Make map chat only accessible by characters lvl 15+. Add a ‘help’ channel, accessible to all. This will help funnel their advertisements into one channel.

Posted by: Omega.4950

Omega.4950

They’re desperate! Keep up the reports.

Order Of The Mists [OOM]
http://mists.cadimus.net

Posted by: Passive Aggressive.3154

Passive Aggressive.3154

I noticed that “gold selling” is now an option when reporting people in chat. Is there also a way to report mail? I didn’t see an option for it last time I tried. I have just been deleting them (but haven’t received any with the copper attached yet).

“Do what you want to do and don’t tell other people how to behave.” ~ Ruth Stout

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

Theyre not desperate at all. It’s an easy way to inconvenience you and stop you deleting the mail. That way, you need to open it and read it, to see its contents

Posted by: Omega.4950

Omega.4950

There’s an icon at the bottom of the mail window with an exclamation point. You can use that to report gold selling mail.

Order Of The Mists [OOM]
http://mists.cadimus.net

Posted by: koll.6372

koll.6372

Just wanted to chime in and thank Eva for responding. Kudos to anet and all the people working to keep this game great and the community as clean as it can.

Thank you……oh and i also report all gold sellers and spammers.

Posted by: Ashmedai.8736

Ashmedai.8736

If I was running the show there I would track where the gold is coming from and just randomly take it out of their banks and spread it all over to the people that got spammed… but Anet is not that evil..

Posted by: cosmatman.9306

cosmatman.9306

What should one do when he gets such a mail? Accepting the copper to get rid of the mail involves the risk of getting your account flagged for gold buying…

I used “return to sender” – did I do the proper thing?

Thanks!

I just treat them the same as quest reward mail. I hit take attachment > delete > take attachment delete and so on. I usually do quest rewards mail in groups, i dont really read them anymore.

Also where does it say that accepting the copper flags you for gold buying? did you pay for that 1 copper with IRL money? did you offer anything in exchange for it? i’m guessing no and no.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Thanks for the update. I didn’t want their filthy 1c but I also didn’t want to give it back to them because I dislike them. So I took it and reported.

Posted by: Shayne.2504

Shayne.2504

These are hacked accounts, reporting them does nothing. Here is what they do, they hack an account, liquidate everything, then move the gold off the account, after a few transactions the account is moved to a spamming account since it is considered high risk account. By the time you get the mail or see the spam in chat the damage to the economy has been done. (Wife stopped playing wow, so I was surprised one day to see her logged in when I knew her account was dead, the had done the above to her account).

My suggestion is not to only go after the Gold Merchants but also go after the low life players that are buying from them. It is supply and demand, if there is a demand someone will supply it, if you come down harsh on the buyers maybe they will learn their lesson and stop the demand. I would also suggest banning all accounts logging on from IP addresses that send spam.

I will never forget the time an customer support guy made a movie reference to a support ticket, “Sir you may need to call the police, the gold farmer is inside your house!”

Posted by: Darkorical.9213

Darkorical.9213

I honestly think that the additional copper being added is not a ploy to get you to read it its an attempt at a preemptive maneuver to keep their mail from being automatically filtered by A-net. When I think of how to build a filter I would probably ignore mails with attachments or gold because those would be less likely to (until now) to be spam

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

as yet, ANet has been conspicuously mute about any punitive action against gold-buyers

Kinda like how Blizzard promised they’d never ban a gold-buyer, and sure enough, plenty of unabashed gold buyers keep playing the game.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

The way I look at this is that the gold farmers are so stupid they’re paying me 1cp to report and delete their email.

There is no reason anybody in the game should be emailing me unless they’re a guildie, on friends list, or are ANet (npcs, official stuff). No random people mail me stuff unless they are mismailing, like random people sending me crafting mats, and I return that stuff since it’s obviously not supposed to be mine (and ANet is liberal with the ban hammer).

You could just make an option to only allow incoming email from guildies, and/or friends, and it would end this. Now.

Posted by: Player.9621

Player.9621

if you accept the 1c you cannot report them

Posted by: Moonthrower.1406

Moonthrower.1406

if you accept the 1c you cannot report them

This is 100% untrue.

You still have the option to report the e-mail.

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

Somebody sends me money in the mail I’m keepin it. I’d also like to take this time to announce that I am currently accepting donations from any and all sources so feel free to mail as much money as you want.