Gold to Gem conversion

Gold to Gem conversion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Craven.9462

Craven.9462

Sometimes I like to cash in my gold for a few gems each day to work towards nice things in the shop. Today I noticed something odd between buying different numbers of gems.

I have just looked at a conversion of gold to gems and the differences between each gem cost vary a lot. Shouldn’t 2 gems cost twice as much as 1 gem? Why is there a 34 silver 63 copper difference between buying 4 and 5 gems and only a 17 silver 91 copper difference between buying 2 and 3 gems?

1 – 54s – 83c (54.83 difference)
2 – 72s – 71c (17.88 difference)
3 – 90s – 62c (17.91 difference)
4 – 1g – 8s – 18c (15.56 difference)
5 – 1g – 42s – 81c (34.63 difference)
6 – 1g – 61s – 84c (19.03 difference)

I wrote down all these prices within 30 seconds of each other and a few minutes later they are still around 1-2 copper difference.

Feel free to flame me if i have missed something.

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: John Smith.4610

John Smith.4610

Because of minimum fees, and the inability to divide some values lower than standard whole numbers.

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Theege.9783

Theege.9783

Gonna piggyback this thread and say I’d just like to be able to actually gold-to-gems in quantities less than 400 again.

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Gonna piggyback this thread and say I’d just like to be able to actually gold-to-gems in quantities less than 400 again.

You can. Click on Custom Exchange

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I routinely buy less than 200 gems a week through the Custom Exchange. They added that within a couple of days of the new TP rollout last year.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Theege.9783

Theege.9783

Doesn’t work. When I try it takes me to buy more for cash.
Like, I go to custom exchange, try to enter a custom amount, and it takes me to the cash option.

(edited by Theege.9783)

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Doesn’t work. When I try it takes me to buy more for cash.

You might try clearing your cache. Instructions can be found in the Knowledge Base (Search for TP cache) accessed via the ‘Support’ link above/below.

Good luck.

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Angus.5961

Angus.5961

I just tried it and kept getting the “buy gems” screen until I clicked on the 400 and got the text cursor to change the qty. Its not very intuitive.

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

Wait, you were caught on the fact it never occurred to you to click on the default 400 gems and change it? How is that not intuitive? It’s just like every other input field on the TP. I will admit that sometimes I click on the Buy More Gems under the field than the buy button to the right of the coin amount.

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Wait, you were caught on the fact it never occurred to you to click on the default 400 gems and change it? How is that not intuitive? It’s just like every other input field on the TP. I will admit that sometimes I click on the Buy More Gems under the field than the buy button to the right of the coin amount.

There is a known bug where players who do not have enough gold to convert into 400 gems (the default value) will be sent to the purchase gems with a credit card screen when attempting to alter the field which contains ‘400’.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Purchase-funds-covers-gem-custom-exchange/first#post5424300

The only way around this is to have over 90g on you when you go to convert gold into gems… otherwise it will not work…. period.

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I heard the other week its broken and you have to have enough gold to buy 400 gems to be able to buy less than 400, some guildies were lending each other money briefly just so someone could have enough to make the purchase before sending it back.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is a known bug where players who do not have enough gold to convert into 400 gems (the default value) will be sent to the purchase gems with a credit card screen when attempting to alter the field which contains ‘400’.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Purchase-funds-covers-gem-custom-exchange/first#post5424300

The only way around this is to have over 90g on you when you go to convert gold into gems… otherwise it will not work…. period.

Some players, I guess. I don’t have that issue. No matter the amount of Gold on my account, I can exchange Gold for Gems.

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

I wouldn’t consider that a known bug but a design decision. Player wants to buy X number of gems but doesn’t have the gold for it so you forward them to the buy with cash screen.

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

TheBlackLeech.9360

I wouldn’t consider that a known bug but a design decision. Player wants to buy X number of gems but doesn’t have the gold for it so you forward them to the buy with cash screen.

It is indeed a bug, and you are completely misunderstanding.

Players are/were unable to input a custom number of gems unless they have/had enough gold to convert into 400 gems.

Meaning if you only have/had enough gold to convert into 1-399 gems, (less than 90g) they will be completely unable to use the interface.

Instead of being able to alter the number in the custom conversion, you are taken to the gem purchase with credit card info page.

Here is a scenario.

I have 200 gold, and I convert most of that to get 999 gems…. no issue whatsoever.

Then, I want to get one more gem to get 1000 gems to make a purchase…. but I have less than 90 gold remaining in my wallet (I just spent most of it on gems).

I am unable to select and alter the 400 gems in the custom pane, since the additional coding was added where clicking on the field (which is default 400) without enough gems takes you to the credit card purchase page.

It should allow players to alter the number in the box, before attempting to tell players they can’t afford the transaction…. since that is not even the transaction they are attempting to perform.

I am unable to purchase one gem unless I have enough gold to pass the check of “does the player have enough gold for 400 gems?” in order to alter the 400 gems.

I’ve explained it 4-5 times now…. please tell me you understand.

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

Ah, that bug. But that was squashed the same day it was first reported since the change could be done at the web server side without the need to push a patch.

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Angus.5961

Because if you dont click on the exact tiny spot, it goes to the buy gems screen. Nowhere does it indicate that you can type in the number field.
Despite your condescending claim, it looks nothing like any of the other number input fields in the game that I have seen where you can change the values.

(edited by Angus.5961)

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

I can click anywhere in the red box in the image and get a cursor to appear. If that’s too small of an area for you, I don’t know what to say.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I can click anywhere in the red box in the image and get a cursor to appear. If that’s too small of an area for you, I don’t know what to say.

That’s assuming a patch didn’t break that function for at least some configurations.

Gold to Gem conversion

Angus.5961

So where are the up/down arrows and everything else that make it look just like every other number input box as you claim?

Why are you even arguing about this? Does it really hurt your white knight sensitivities that much?

(edited by Angus.5961)

Gold to Gem conversion

TheBlackLeech.9360

1) This has already been patched
2) You STILL don’t understand how the bug occurred, since you need(ed) to have less than the amount of gold required to purchase 400 gems.
(In your screen, you have enough gold to buy 400 gems)

We might as well be carrying on a conversation with a cardboard box.

Attachments:

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

No what bothered me was your insistence that it’s currently broken. Since it was something that I used daily for a while and still use it weekly I know it’s not broken.

I’m seeing someone willing to inject themselves into any complaint thread to voice their own dissatisfaction over whatever perceived slight from ANet.

As for my white knighting when they first launched the redesign of the TP including the exchange I was one complaining about it as well but for the most part it’s been fixed and what they are willing to change has been (still miffed at truncating to gold on sold gems while we still pay exact change when buying gems). And currently I’m joining in complaining about TP performance issues over the last few months.

But when someone complains about how unintuitive it is or how the UI doesn’t allow them to select a field when in fact it’s working fine, I’m going to call them on it.

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

2) You STILL don’t understand how the bug occurred, since you need(ed) to have less than the amount of gold required to purchase 400 gems.

And the bug was fixed already or so it was reported the same day this bug was first reported in the forum and that was a while ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Unable-to-custom-exchange-gems

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/custom-exchange-gem-broken

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Sometimes I like to cash in my gold for a few gems each day to work towards nice things in the shop. Today I noticed something odd between buying different numbers of gems.

I have just looked at a conversion of gold to gems and the differences between each gem cost vary a lot. Shouldn’t 2 gems cost twice as much as 1 gem? Why is there a 34 silver 63 copper difference between buying 4 and 5 gems and only a 17 silver 91 copper difference between buying 2 and 3 gems?

1 – 54s – 83c (54.83 difference)
2 – 72s – 71c (17.88 difference)
3 – 90s – 62c (17.91 difference)
4 – 1g – 8s – 18c (15.56 difference)
5 – 1g – 42s – 81c (34.63 difference)
6 – 1g – 61s – 84c (19.03 difference)

I wrote down all these prices within 30 seconds of each other and a few minutes later they are still around 1-2 copper difference.

Feel free to flame me if i have missed something.

Sometimes, you also pay more listing fees and sales tax, when selling something on the tp, than the 15%.

When you sell an item for an amount less than 10c because sales tax (10%) and listing fee (5%) always has to be at least 1c.

So if sell an item for 5c, you pay 40%, if you sell for 2c (the smallest amount you can list an item for), you actually payy 100%, 1c listing fee and 1c sales tax, leaving you with 0 profit.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Gold to Gem conversion

Seera.5916

And the bug was fixed already or so it was reported the same day this bug was first reported in the forum and that was a while ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Unable-to-custom-exchange-gems

And maybe the patch yesterday broke it again. Maybe the fix fixed it for most players but some still have an issue.

I’ve got just over 99 g. I’ll attempt to change the gems I get when I get home. Then I’ll buy some stuff and go under 99 g and try again.

Gold to Gem conversion

Behellagh.1468

And maybe the patch yesterday broke it again. Maybe the fix fixed it for most players but some still have an issue.

I’ve got just over 99 g. I’ll attempt to change the gems I get when I get home. Then I’ll buy some stuff and go under 99 g and try again.

But then he said he could change the amount but the area you needed to click on was extremely small. Face it, he wanted to complain and when pressed, kept changing his story as players tried to help him. He had an ax to grind about the exchange and popped in to complain but instead was met by help.

RIP City of Heroes

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So now you want to use the forums to complain about the possibility that a patch might have broken something? I think the appropriate response to reporting a hypothetical bug is to imagine that ANet will fix it in the next imaginary patch.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Gold to Gem conversion

Seera.5916

So now you want to use the forums to complain about the possibility that a patch might have broken something? I think the appropriate response to reporting a hypothetical bug is to imagine that ANet will fix it in the next imaginary patch.

No, I was saying to not shoot down the possibility that it got broken again just because it was earlier fixed. Or that the fix fixed it for everyone. Which was what Behellagh was seeming to say.

That being said, I had no issues either at over or below the required amount of gold to buy 400 gems when I tried when I got on tonight. So chances are it’s not broken at all at the moment.

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: AzureSky.3175

AzureSky.3175

When you sell an item for an amount less than 10c because sales tax (10%) and listing fee (5%) always has to be at least 1c.

So if sell an item for 5c, you pay 40%, if you sell for 2c (the smallest amount you can list an item for), you actually payy 100%, 1c listing fee and 1c sales tax, leaving you with 0 profit.

This is actually not true.
If you sell an item for 5c, you’ll get 4c profit and only pay 1c of fees (20%).
If you sell an item for 2c, you’ll get 1c profit and only pay 1c of fees (50%).
One of the two fees gets neglected if you sell for really low prices.
The ‘estimated profit’ that GW2 displays before selling does not match the actual profit.
Try it for yourself.

(edited by AzureSky.3175)

Gold to Gem conversion

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Bigger concern, why can’t gem → gold conversions (actual, paying customers) get the full value their gems are worth?
Why can’t they sell by the gems instead of targeting a gold amount?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632