Golds Deflation

Golds Deflation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

It hurts the poor more than the rich….

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Could you explain why you see things that way?

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Can’t say as I’m feeling a gold deflation. I’m making as much gold as I ever did, or more. But then I was never a dungeon runner getting 30 gold a day.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Serpiente.4510

Serpiente.4510

Wait! Aren’t the 10 gold that you hopefully have in your wallet worth more because of this?

Golds Deflation

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Wait! Aren’t the 10 gold that you hopefully have in your wallet worth more because of this?

Indeed. I’m questioning whether the OP knows the difference between Deflation and Inflation.

Hate is Fuel.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

Inflation hurts the rich more than the poor (% wise). So deflation is probably the opposite of that?

It is probably true. Depends on how the deflation is occurring. How much has income been impacted? Lowered incomes makes the value gap between players wider.

(edited by PseudoNewb.5468)

Golds Deflation

The Greyhawk.9107

Inflation hurts the rich and helps the poor. So deflation is probably the opposite of that?

How do you figure? I’ve never seen inflation as any benefit to those with lower income.

Hate is Fuel.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

Inflation hurts the rich and helps the poor. So deflation is probably the opposite of that?

How do you figure? I’ve never seen inflation as any benefit to those with lower income.

Well the assumption, in my statement, is that inflation is caused by increased money in general including wages across the board. Say someone has $500 saved vs $10 saved and average income was $1. Say suddenly inflation x 100 occurs. then, Still they have $500 saved vs $10 saved and now income is $100. The gap between people seems much smaller now. In general inflation moves to flatten savings amounts.

Of course inflation, and massive inflation usually occurs with other server problems in economies, which could be much worse for people with low income. Such problems as unemployment. etc… But if inflation existed by itself, its direct affects would only be on people with large currency savings.

In an MMO someone can survive with 0 income of in game currency, so there is not much to talk about in socioeconomic issues etc… so I am just coming from a numbers based perspective.

Of course most people invest instead of having cash on hand (leveraging items in the trading post)… so that is something else too that I should probably considered before I opened my mouth.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Actually I liked the inflation because it made things like cultural armor, mining picks, axes, salvaged kits etc. more affordable.

Golds Deflation

SkyShroud.2865

becoz the gold value and item price don’t change immediately……

right now gold value is increasing fast but the item price isnt dropping fast, rather, some items price is increasing as well

u hav decreased amount of golds in the market while having item prices increasing…

not exactly the kind of deflation you are looking for
the rich will continue to be rich becoz they already have the stockpile to play with, especially with the item price increasing. they can simply flip more and profit more than ever before.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Gambino.2109

Gambino.2109

The value of things go up and up.. and our incoming.. if we still have any (not playing the market) is almost none existent.

And no, we’re not selling items we get.. that we actually need for obvious reasons.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

If gems:gold is anything to go by, current gold price is inflated compared to a year ago but deflated compared to a month ago.

Golds Deflation

The Greyhawk.9107

Well the assumption, in my statement, is that inflation is caused by increased money in general including wages across the board. Say someone has $500 saved vs $10 saved and average income was $1. Say suddenly inflation x 100 occurs. then, Still they have $500 saved vs $10 saved and now income is $100. The gap between people seems much smaller now. In general inflation moves to flatten savings amounts.

Of course inflation, and massive inflation usually occurs with other server problems in economies, which could be much worse for people with low income. Such problems as unemployment. etc… But if inflation existed by itself, its direct affects would only be on people with large currency savings.

In an MMO someone can survive with 0 income of in game currency, so there is not much to talk about in socioeconomic issues etc… so I am just coming from a numbers based perspective.

Of course most people invest instead of having cash on hand (leveraging items in the trading post)… so that is something else too that I should probably considered before I opened my mouth.

Fair enough.

Hate is Fuel.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

In a real world economy, increases in inflation tend to hurt the wealthy more (as they tend to be net creditors) and helps the working classes (who tend to be net debtors) by adjusting the real value of those debts. The inverse is also true – deflation, in the real world, tends to crush workers while enriching the wealthy. Hence the constant political drumbeat for lower inflation in virtually every (if not every) western industrial economy.

In game? There’s no leverage – no debt, no credit. Consequently, the impact of inflation should be pretty uniform across wealth and income levels – unless there is some systematic difference in the percentage of wealth held as cash, which I don’t have a priori reason to believe.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

It hurts the poor more than the rich….

Good thing then that there is no deflation in this game.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Baamoink.4281

Baamoink.4281

Materials are worth more now than they have in a long time, and I’ve been making a lot more money as a result of selling my materials.

Guild: Mantle Assasins [MA] – Guild Leader
Server: Far Shiverpeaks EU

Golds Deflation

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

I’m sure not feeling a gold deflation. I’m making as much gold as I ever did, or more. since hot came out . and iam having fun doing what it is i do in the game too despite the bug,s .

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Could you explain why you see things that way?

The rich already have a mountain of money, so deflation causes the buying power of that existing gold to rise. The poor, meanwhile, still can’t buy anything while it simultaneously becomes more difficult for them to make money.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

Materials are worth more now than they have in a long time, and I’ve been making a lot more money as a result of selling my materials.

Which is great if you already have your crafting professions maxed or if you just don’t ever craft anything, but it’s terrible if you’re trying to level crafting or you want to gear up for raids.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Golds Deflation

SkyShroud.2865

Right now, we have mat sinks, not gold sinks, I never know why people call it gold sinks when we are not losing golds in the market. Mats demand increased and so is the price, that’s how most of you here are making your money, by putting them on TP.

The main source of raw golds were from dungeons and then followed by gem conversion (I believe). Now, the dungeons are nerfed and thus the amount of golds flowing into the market have greatly reduced.

Yes, you may still be earning money via trading but that is nothing more than golds exchanging hands. The amount of golds weren’t increasing that much while the mats cost is increasing a lot more. Furthermore, not everyone is spending golds, there are always golds hoarder and also market investor (flipping tp).

In a way, I feel anet is intentionally making people to choose between farming mats to trade and trading gems for golds. However, with this much mats sink, it is more of the latter.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Golds Deflation

Posted by: GordonOrange.1852

GordonOrange.1852

HoT created demand for all kinds of things. Deflation happens when demand for products dries up. We are not experiencing deflation. The prices of the most widely available and widely demanded materials have increased by and large.

Golds Deflation

Just a flesh wound.3589

Right now, we have mat sinks, not gold sinks, I never know why people call it gold sinks when we are not losing golds in the market. Mats demand increased and so is the price, that’s how most of you here are making your money, by putting them on TP.

The main source of raw golds were from dungeons and then followed by gem conversion (I believe). Now, the dungeons are nerfed and thus the amount of golds flowing into the market have greatly reduced.

Yes, you may still be earning money via trading but that is nothing more than golds exchanging hands. The amount of golds weren’t increasing that much while the mats cost is increasing a lot more. Furthermore, not everyone is spending golds, there are always golds hoarder and also market investor (flipping tp).

In a way, I feel anet is intentionally making people to choose between farming mats to trade and trading gems for golds. However, with this much mats sink, it is more of the latter.

I’m not so sure that the amount of gold has greatly decreased. There’s one thing they added to the game, Shiny Bauble, worth 30 silver at a NPC vendor. Now that’s not a lot, but it’s game wide to all the players doing events in the right areas. That gold faucet that was only for dungeon runners seems, with this item, to have been redistributed to all players as a steady drip, drip of gold incoming rather than a chunk only to dungeoners.

Edit: wiki only shows it as a map reward in the old areas, but it’s a map reward for at least one HoT map also.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Can’t say as I’m feeling a gold deflation. I’m making as much gold as I ever did, or more. But then I was never a dungeon runner getting 30 gold a day.

I feel the same .. I’ve been spending a lot more than I used(guild hall, precursor crafting) to yet the total amount of gold is still increasing. I’ve been selling less since the precursor crafting exhausted some materials. The only thing that has really changed for me is that I do fractals almost daily now. Oh right … also wasted some gold on the ascended salvage tools.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

I’m not so sure that the amount of gold has greatly decreased. There’s one thing they added to the game, Shiny Bauble, worth 30 silver at a NPC vendor. Now that’s not a lot, but it’s game wide to all the players doing events in the right areas. That gold faucet that was only for dungeon runners seems, with this item, to have been redistributed to all players as a steady drip, drip of gold incoming rather than a chunk only to dungeoners.

Edit: wiki only shows it as a map reward in the old areas, but it’s a map reward for at least one HoT map also.

There is also the 2% account-wide gold increase with every monthly chest. I’m sure that across all the players, that one is adding up.

(edited by NonToxic.9185)

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There is also the 2% account-wide gold increase with every monthly chest. I’m sure that across all the players, that one is adding up.

Actually getting more than a silver from kills is nice. Especially when doing stuff like the Ulgoth pre-event or Melandru’s temple

Golds Deflation

Just a flesh wound.3589

I forgot about that. You’re right, it’s another source of gold spread across the player base. Its practically invisible since the coin doesn’t show up in your inventory and 2% isn’t an obvious increase in one month, but it’s an increase each month across all the players that’s a source of new gold into the economy.

ANet may give it to you.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

1) I don’t think there is any deflation in the TP, just a shift of interest from old legendary materials to new legendary materials (esp. ascended materials) and guild-upgrade items.

2) I don’t believe the the total gold production now is lower, it’s just that some former high-income professions like dungeon selling got cut down, instead normal activities got a boost (with all the 10-50s scrap items you get to sell them to NPC). So current gold-production is better distributed to many players, which is a good thing (exept for the few high-income professionals that got cut ).

3) I was never as easy as today to collect a decent amount of money, just pick your pick and axe and collect wood and ore. If you need lower clothers/leather go to low-level dungeons (AC, TG, …) and scrap all items.

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

(edited by Dayra.7405)

Golds Deflation

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

Some things on the TP are going for 2 to 3 times more than they did. Some are going for less. Some are the same. Things just shifted. I feel like I’m having an easier time making money since HoT and I don’t do HoT content.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

MMOs cant have deflation because a MMO has an infinite money supply.
Resources never run out, and NPCs will always buy your resources for the same price, no matter how much you have to sell.
Where do the NPCs get the money from to buy your items?
Its effectively the game printing its own money, and this is going on continuously.
They do have inflation which can go up and down , but it always goes up more than down.
Expansions always cause a cyclic blip in the economy, but within 6 months or so, the economy will be back to where it was prior to HOT.

Golds Deflation

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

if you are having any kind of so called gold deflation. then your doing it all wrong me on the other hand iam having major gold elation even more so since hot came out . and i even get more silver in reg maps too.