Gone are the days of the GW2 Dream

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Uriel.6310

Uriel.6310

We the gamers have been disappointed every single time a patch has come out. Who exactly is this game for?? Arenanet or their gaming community? If we throw out suggestions of what “We” would prefer to see and do, but instead they continue to go against the grain, then what is the point in continuing to play? Where is the great Guild Wars 2 that was envisioned before this atrocity of living world crap appeared?

Guild wars 2 is so mediocre now, and honestly its clear they do not even care about the competition that they have from other games who will successfully steal from their disappointed player base. Take a look at the recent numbers, which don’t lie, and we can see that from their recent revenue they have made less this year than they did last and with upcoming new games GW2 is going to suffer even more as they continue to give us scraps as they try to cling on to the rest of this community until the next feature patch.

With that being said, I give up on this team. Thank you for providing fun for what it was but after this patch it is proven there isnt anything else to look forward to until maybe another 6 months of minor changes.

Thank you Arenanet for such wonderful yet shallow content.

GW2 was never made to be more innovative than other MMOs, it was made to be different than GW1.

Posted by: Player.2475

Player.2475

RIP Guild Wars 2, 2012-2014

This is a T-rated MMO, not a point-and-click adventure for 5-year-olds.
That’s how GW2 ends; not with a bang, but a whimper.

Posted by: Tharomir.6985

Tharomir.6985

What I don’t understand is why they refuse to listen to their customers. It is like they have decided that they know best and we have no idea what we’re talking about.

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

i am a gamer and you do not speak for me

Tharomir.6985

Settle down. If you browse the forums you can obviously see that the majority of us agree with OP. Obviously some people will have different opinions.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

Haven’t some of the vets told Anet what they wanted: like a better filter for the TP. Granted they delivered it…. like 2 years later. But still, better late than never. So to say they don’t listen isn’t accurate.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

Okay but why do people hate the living story and why did GW2 dissapoint?

Posted by: Templar.4512

Templar.4512

I agree, this game is pretty shallow.

What does it have comparing to other MMOs?

The DEs are nothing more than thinly veiled grind quests (kill x of that, defend for y waves, fetch z of that). So are the hearts.
It has casting while moving. That’s ok I guess. You can dodge a few spells that way.
It has dodging. You can dodge two times in ten seconds. Whoa… so much action compared to other MMOs.
It has a bunch of currencies. Lots of them, actually.
It has no specific class roles.
It has a couple of buffs and debuffs, or, as they call them, “boons and conditions” which are always the same and don’t really work intuitively. There’s might, there’s chill, there’s swiftness. Same values, different durations OR same durations but different values OR prolonged (stacking duration?!)…meh, whatever. Hard to explain.
It has a couple of skills and…honestly, most of them don’t SYNERGIZE. Come on now…
It has some “class mechanics”… which are really things seen in every other MMO and can be boiled down to simple explanations.
It has lots of skins. And those help you with…uh…dressing up? I think that helps with roleplaying but this really isn’t a roleplaying-friendly game.
And it has a couple of bosses, but they behave like they’re braindead and, apart from a couple of dodges (remember, two over ten seconds), they require little to no input from the player.
It has a sort of capture-the-flag PvP. Most other MMOs have MANY different PvP modes.
Another form of PvP is WvWvW. But the framerates drop so low, and there’s so little you can do to change the course of an encounter that it’s sad. You just follow a zerg from point to point and capture, sometimes meeting another zerg and winning or losing depending on how many there are on either side.
We also have a personal story that’s horribly written and voiced. Sorry, I really don’t know who enjoys this part of the game. Also, it’s far from what I’d call ‘branching’.
It has underwater combat but it’s so clunky and confusing that it’s even been removed from PvP.
It also has many abandoned features, such as player housing, minigames, personality stuff.

As you can see, GW2 has lots of things. However, many of them are bad.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

GW2 won’t die “they” will just move to China.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Tharomir.6985

More importantly, what mmorpg should I play instead now that I have lost my faith in GW2?

adormtil.1605

SWTOR has great story and a house you can have well sorta(Do not get me wrong this is everything good it has).

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

ded gaem

china wars 2 gogo

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

What I don’t understand is why they refuse to listen to their customers. It is like they have decided that they know best and we have no idea what we’re talking about.

Presumably they rely on Metrics, Surveys and Testers.

I really think something is awry with this approach, one thing to remember is the old adage of “garbage in garbage out”…if your diagnostics are wrong, you can’t possibly work out a solution.

I’d humbly suggest an old fashioned approach:

DEVS, PLAY THE KITTENING GAME

…and then ask: “Am I having fun?”

This isn’t science, it is not formula, it’s an art form.

And by play, I mean as a player would, from level one, no DEV shortcuts.

If no Devs on the dev team has no time to do this, well there’s a BIG PROBLEM right there.

You may as well be a Chef who doesn’t taste his own cooking and solely relies on food critic reviews

Now, if this approach doesn’t work to sort out problems, then I suggest the person doing the actual playing isn’t the best person for the job. Maybe they are in the wrong profession because they aren’t gamers.

A college degree in game programming/development does not a gamer make. (Thank Goodness!)

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

China’s only got ~1 – 1.5+ million activated accounts. Why would they move there?

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

More importantly, what mmorpg should I play instead now that I have lost my faith in GW2?

Archeage
Star Citizen
EQN
Destiny

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

China’s only got ~1 – 1.5+ million activated accounts. Why would they move there?

Because it won’t be profitable for NCSoft to keep the NA/EU servers open with only a few hundred people playing on them.

adormtil.1605

^Why is GW2 forum so low in population?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Archeage
Star Citizen
EQN
Destiny

Notice how no one is listing ESO or Wildstar, which people said would drive Guild Wars 2 out of business. I doubt very much it’s going to happen. Certainly not with Arch Age. Completely different audience. No PvE servers. Yeah, good call that.

Free unless you want to open bags. lol

Tharomir.6985

Archeage
Star Citizen
EQN
Destiny

Destiny is mediocre apparently, and Star Citizen and EQN won’t be coming out anytime soon, but I’m going to play the crap out of them when they do.

Never heard of Archeage though, I’ll check it out.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Could be that a lot of people are out enjoying the game instead of coming here. There is enough negativity here (and I fully admit to being part of it all too often) that those who are fans of the game and disinclined to get into heated arguments about it just stay away.

Could be that, in my experience, customers in general are more likely to complain when they dislike an aspect of a product than they are to praise an aspect they like.

Could be that even many of those who have concerns or complaints do not see enough official response on these forums to feel that it is worth their time to post.

Could be that some people are more inclined to use outside avenues (such as Reddit, Facebook, etc) for their feedback/discussion. Afterall Anet makes a point of using these outside avenues. This pretty much guarantees some degree of splintering the discussion population.

Could be that forums seem to always be a very tiny percentage of active players. Can you imagine if there had been over four hundred thousand posters during the period when the concurrent user numbers were supposedly that high ? Would the forums really have been useful at all if topics and pages were blurring by ?

Personally I do not consider the GW2 official forum population to be low.

Posted by: Uriel.6310

Uriel.6310

And kitten long there are players like you whom are content with mediocrity, this game will continue to go in the direction that it has been in the last 2 years.

GW2 was never made to be more innovative than other MMOs, it was made to be different than GW1.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I know they’re employees since there’s no other way players with a real life would take their time to defend a game so much without being paid.

This is news to me, so all I have to do to get a paycheck is defend the game like Vayne does?

. . . why haven’t I been getting paid?!

You didn’t understand. They’re defending it because they’re getting a paycheck, not the other way around. I’m afraid you’re just a fan.

I’m afraid you are the one who didn’t understand, neighbor. Back to Remedial Sarcasm 101 for you.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Settle down. If you browse the forums you can obviously see that the majority of us agree with OP. Obviously some people will have different opinions.

forum warriors are not the majority of players. The OP is wrong. Stop saying ‘We’. Take some kitten responsibilty and say I. Stop hiding.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And kitten long there are players like you whom are content with mediocrity, this game will continue to go in the direction that it has been in the last 2 years.

Of course I’m content with mediocrity. It keeps me entertained. I’d feel better if they could do something amazing . . . but those who aim for the stars and miss tend to hit the ground very hard.

And so I continue to play, fairly casually now and then when time allows. If something better comes along then I’ll go there for a time.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Serophous.9085

and as long as there are players like you who set the bar so high that anet has to reach YOUR standards and YOUR appeasement, they will always fail, causing people like you to come and complain on the forums because YOU didn’t get what YOU wanted.

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

why are people even arguing about this. its clearly still boring.

nothing has changed

the only major change they have done has actually made it worse to play. the unlocking skills and new leveling.

GG, well done.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Templar.4512

Templar.4512

Of COURSE the bar has to be set high. That’s what makes progress.

Posted by: LtTiger.4568

LtTiger.4568

Might be because those who isn’s sattisfied with the game come here to complain, while the rest is having fun in the game.. :P

Tharomir.6985

and as long as there are players like you who set the bar so high that anet has to reach YOUR standards and YOUR appeasement, they will always fail, causing people like you to come and complain on the forums because YOU didn’t get what YOU wanted.

This is what we expected. Anet is the one who set the bar high. And complaining about the fact people want to spend their money on a quality product is the strangest thing I have read today.

Posted by: Zardul.3952

Zardul.3952

on an up note. i will not be paying for gems ever again
i dont support people who give 2 years of disapointment updates

ill be putting that money into other games that are not NCsoft or Anet.

lost my trust.

Main: lvl 80 Ranger ,
Alt: lvl 80 Mesmer

Serophous.9085

This is what we expected. Anet is the one who set the bar high. And complaining about the fact people want to spend their money on a quality product is the strangest thing I have read today.

oh god, not the manifesto crap again. Yes yes, broken promises, blah blah blah. Spin me a new story. Beat a new dead horse for crying out loud.

Ive come to except that they weren’t able to live up to it. You should too. No game is ever going to be perfect from what they say when its in developement. If you haven’t learned this by now, you will always be dissapointed in mmos

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

I hope this game sinks.

Leman