Good color combinations for Sylvari?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I am thinking about creating a Sylvari Ranger, but I continue to struggle to find a color combination I like. I have tried green skin since the Ranger class makes me think of nature, but I end up getting bored with my toon staring at them for too long. I have a Sylvari Mesmer who is blue and purple, which seems to fit that class nicely, so I don’t want to do the same thing with my Ranger.

What are good color combinations for Sylvari that you guys have found?

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Yellow/orange and lighter greens generally work well together. Something like white and another light color like a pale purple works well too. Different combinations of browns can be pretty interesting as well.
Hope I helped

That one person.

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

I have a Sylvari Ranger and recently gave her a total makeover because after 5 years I was bored with her green skin and dull brown-green hair. I thought a lot of the armor looked leafy and good in green, so it didn’t show up well on her. Now she has light purple skin and I think green, white, black, and/or peach shades look good on her, plus brown leather colors also work. I used “Titian” for a hair color on her new style and love it, much less “dead” looking.

Moyayuki.3619

One thing about Sylvari that makes it hard for me to decide skin/hair/glow colors is how, with a Ranger, Medium Armor looks absolutely dreadful on Sylvari. Light Armor at least has a more aesthetically-pleasing look with Sylvari’s leafy look, but Medium Armor never looks good on them except for a few styles.

Why this affects my color selection is that if I give my Sylvari bright colors, any colors I use on the armor looks horrible. Which is why I have to resort to using an Outfit, though I hate having to spend money to buy them.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I remember telling my friend to use this to find matching colors for his sylvari https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

Maybe it can help you too.
Try the different color rules and when you find one you like, try to replicate it in game.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I like darker colors on my Sylvari. Nightshade and Amber are my favorite skin colors. Any darker hair color goes well with them. I suck at working with light colors… My skin pattern and glow color are always turned off. My Ranger has Amber skin and Patina hair.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

My Sylvari Dragonslayer is black with silver white secondary in Blue armor
My Sylvari Mesmer is Green with Orange Red secondary in plant armor of the same coloration
My Sylvari Warrior is colored like tree bark with yellowish secondary in dark green, brown and chrome
My Sylvari Reaper is colored white with sickly green secondary in black

It’s whatever you want it to be. When making the character make sure to swap between armor on and off and also between night and day to get a sense of the bioluminescence.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Jaquelidor.2618

Jaquelidor.2618

I’ve been using the Gaelic names of flowers for my Sylvari and then using the same colour scheme as the flower they’re name for as their colors. Pink, light green, fushia. Orange-yellow, dark green, mahogany. The fun part about Sylvari in my mind is the absolute variety.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I love making sylvari, partially because they have the widest variety of skin and hair colours and I like experimenting with them. Here’s some examples of ones I’ve made.

The first one is loosely inspired by the Maguuma Jungle from GW1 (particularly Silverwood and Tangle Root). It took me ages to find the right dyes, especially for the skirt. I think I’ve bought more dyes for this character than any other, but that’s ok because she’s one of my main characters.

The rest are just based around a colour scheme. The black and white one in the 2nd photo has a pale green glow and the gold & red one in the 5th photo has a bright yellow/green glow. I don’t remember for the others because they were temporary characters (the bottom photo is a set of examples I made for someone else of matching sylvari armour to their skin and hair).

I recently noticed that I always make their eye colour match their glow, I don’t know why, it just seems right to me.

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

I like Violet Night/Midnight Sky (default colors) with red eyes, but for this particular face only. With some red or dark orange night glow.
You can’t resist those eyes.

Attachments:

(edited by Halan.7931)

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I just love how the Nightmare Court uses their unique skincolour, armorcolours and their overall look!
So I’ve copied most of the Courties aswell such as Wardens too.
I like it look ’’natural’’ / as the real life in Tyria would’ve look like.... not dyes like Permafrost or other superneon candy dyes that is hurting your eyes, lol.

Here’s a few examples:

Attachments:

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: bearawr.9847

bearawr.9847

this is my sylvari ranger, light green with oranges and browns.

Attachments:

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Purple.

That is all.

:D

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Meurto.8520

Meurto.8520

Balsamic Vinaigrette is a favorite of mine.

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Bright reds and oranges in the style of Autumn.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

Danikat.8537

Purple.

That is all.

As soon as I saw there was a mod reply to this topic I knew it would be you and you’d be recommending purple.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Purple.

That is all.

As soon as I saw there was a mod reply to this topic I knew it would be you and you’d be recommending purple.

Oh rats. I hate being predictable.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I have a male Ranger on an alt account, and now really hate the way he turned out. Dark green with the “sticks” hair. Being a little used toon on an alt account, I didn’t want to spend any resources on him. So he wears the free royal guard outfit, helm and all. Problem solved!

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

I like dark blue and white (or light blue) details with orange glow.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I vote for the color of ice. It’s achieved with a combination of infusions granted. I basically wanted a fire and ice theme, since Revenant applies Burn and Chill quite frequently. I quite enjoy how he turned out, but it’s a bummer it won’t show up in Structured and anywhere else in PvE where your infusion effects are turned off for whatever reason. I like the “Groot” face for this theme, as it almost makes it feel as if I am playing a new race.

Attachments:

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

“Good” is a matter of taste, really. Some people go for more muted colors, some for complimentary colors, some for opposing colors, ect. There’s a lot you can do with Sylvari thanks to their great variety of colors. You can really get some crazy combinations going, or you can do something more monotone.

Personally, I tend to gravitate more towards bright colors and high contrast. I have 3 Sylvari and their colors are as follows…

My Mesmer has deep green skin, red hair, blue glow, and wears armor that’s royal purple, bright green, and magenta. Armor is meant to be bright and showy for maximum Mesmer-y distraction.

My Guardian has yellow-orange skin, blue hair, white glow, and wears armor that’s primarily orange and green with purple highlights. Originally my armor was brown and green instead of orange and green and was meant to be more nature inspired, but I eventually decided that was too bland and switched over to orange since her skin has shades of orange in it and it looks nice together without looking too similar. Plus orange + green has always been one of my favorite color combinations, and I didn’t have a character using it. Certain armor sets I still use some brown if I have 4 colors available, though.

My Thief has light blue skin, orange hair, light pink glow, and wears armor that’s lavender, purple, and cyan. Armor colors were chosen to look like Starlight Glimmer, because I was already leaning towards something in light purple since its a color none of my other characters wear and her color scheme came to mind when I thought of lavender, so I went with it.

None of my Sylvari really had a “theme” in mind for their skin / hair color, I just kind of played around until I found something I liked. Although I always knew I was going for colors that no other race could have for skin tone, so I specifically avoided anything similar to human flesh or even Charr fur colors. They haven’t always been the same either, my Mesmer had magenta hair at one point (now its bright red) and my Guardian had white hair when I first made her.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Here are some of my female sylvari characters.

Despite some of them not being rangers and are light/heavy armor professions, and that several do not have their glow visible due to my recording these during daytime in-game, you may still be able to use some of their colors and dyes for some ideas.

Any more details wanted for sliders or armors/dyes, just message me here (or in-game to see them in person).

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Danikat.8537

Despite some of them not being rangers and are light/heavy armor professions, and that several do not have their glow visible due to my recording these during daytime in-game, you may still be able to use some of their colors and dyes for some ideas.

Any more details wanted for sliders or armors/dyes, just message me here (or in-game to see them in person).

Are you able to post screenshots of the ones you’ve got as gifs? The thumbnails look great but (at least on my PC) those gifs are barely bigger than the thumbnail so it’s impossible to see any detail, and even harder when won’t stop moving.

Here’s my latest sylvari, for the beta test. Gaile’s post may have had some slight influence (although blue and purple are also my favourite colours, I usually have to make a concious effort to pick anything else).

Attachments:

Posted by: ABalloon.6924

ABalloon.6924

These are my two sylvari with one at night time ^^

Attachments:

Moyayuki.3619

I see that you love the black “skin” with bright colored “hair”! I was thinking about doing black and blue (or purple), but seeing my Sylvari with black skin just made her seem “emo” or “Necromancerish”, even if black can make dying armor so much easier (no clashing of crazy colors).

Posted by: Romio.8516

Romio.8516

I like my Sylvari bright, vibrant and fiery.

Attachments:

StinVec.3621

Are you able to post screenshots of the ones you’ve got as gifs? The thumbnails look great but (at least on my PC) those gifs are barely bigger than the thumbnail so it’s impossible to see any detail, and even harder when won’t stop moving.

Here’s my latest sylvari, for the beta test. Gaile’s post may have had some slight influence (although blue and purple are also my favourite colours, I usually have to make a concious effort to pick anything else).

Hey, Danikat!

Some of the images are pretty out of date (years old) and others are of characters I’ve long since abandoned, so I apologize if I do not have the exact appearances immediately at hand to recapture, but I hope this combo pic of some of their current appearances will offer closer details you are wanting.

The lower bar is of alt armors for one character (really love the blue on her) and then an orange character I’ve not done much with as I am still looking to acquire destroyer orange and better orange colors.

(not very happy with the selection of orange dyes available in-game as well as those that are available not dyeing medium armor materials too well)

Attachments:

(edited by StinVec.3621)

StinVec.3621

I see that you love the black “skin” with bright colored “hair”! I was thinking about doing black and blue (or purple), but seeing my Sylvari with black skin just made her seem “emo” or “Necromancerish”, even if black can make dying armor so much easier (no clashing of crazy colors).

I primarily use the blackened skin as a base and then use a brighter color on the pattern to add highlighting tones that would then blend with the armor dyes. Sort of an alternating dark>color>light>color>dark configuration with the skin, hair and armor dyes.

I have tried many times to use a lighter base, sort of an inversion of the above, but it seems to turn the pattern color to more of a pastel/faded color instead of the vibrant contrast against the dark skin. I have also tried to use the color for the base and then use the pattern color to darken the transition from skin to hair/armor, but I feel it is too much color as a base and the pattern color being dark doesn’t really appear against the bright base as I’d like it to.

This is mainly why I’ve done them all with the darker base, as well as the ‘black goes with anything’ aspect of fashion that you noted.

However, as I like necro/dark/gloss black stuff, that “Necromancerish” vibe it adds to them works to my taste.