Good looking leather armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kehlian.4380

Kehlian.4380

Will we finally see good looking medium armor with the coming of PoF ?

When I see artworks like this one :

https://wiki.guildwars.com/images/thumb/8/8d/%22Corsair%22_concept_art.jpg/311px-%22Corsair%22_concept_art.jpg

I know they CAN design good looking medium armor. What I don’t understand, is why they don’t do it for actual armor in game, instead of those thousands of trenchcoats…

Posted by: Kodiak.4213

Kodiak.4213

Butt-capes….butt-capes everywhere! Anet can’t get enough of them butt-capes,. If you want skimpy, roll a light toon. Want long-coats and pants? roll medium. If you want to hide every inch of skin on your body, roll heavy. You get a few nice ones for medium, I.e. Strider’s, assassin’s, or sneakthief. I used to take issue with this, but how else are you supposed to visually represent “medium” armor?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

^ with an outfit that completely hides your armour, of course. ;D

Posted by: Aleksander Suburb.4287

Aleksander Suburb.4287

For my taste there were more cool looking armors in gw1 for rangers, than mediums in gw2. Their are plenty medium armors, but really cool are 1 maybe 2 sets. Most have spikes/daggers all around, are piratelike or have coats.

I wish a comeback for drake scale armor (male version)

Guild Wars balancing concept: Never change a ruined system!

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

Looking on Dulfy at upcoming medium armor, it doesn’t look too promising. Buttcapes and buttgowns!

I really don’t understand it. Still some of my favorite armor comes from the starter areas of the game, then it all goes wrong so quickly with long flowing trench coats and such.

(edited by Hawken.7932)

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

At this point even I, someone who loves trench coat and duster style armors, am getting really tired of the lack of variation in armors. And I absolutely think that more Gw1 based armors absolutely SHOULD be introduced to the game…obviously not all of them were winners but in the years since the last armor was released somethings changed at Anet, and not really for the better.
Come to think of it, most of the better armors for Gw2 (at least in my opinion) came out during release…could it have been Kekai Kotaki’s influence? He left just a couple months before launch so much was what was in game at that time could/would have had his influence.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

The Greyhawk.9107

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

It’s all about taste. Every person likes design in their own way. I personally like most designs created so far. I also have a few dislikes, but it’s all subjective to each person. I am very sure that Guild Wars 2 designers like every single outfit and every single piece of armor or weapon.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m confused, the concept art the OP posted is a trenchcoat.

It’s done up at the front rather than hanging open like some, but you can very clearly see the bottom of the jacket between the characters right hand and knees.

Admittedly we don’t have that exact style in game (to me it looks like a cross between ascended armor and either the assassin or Order of Whispers coat), but it’s not fundamentally different to the ones we do have. It’s still a knee/calf length jacket (with a shirt underneath) over trousers and boots. Which is basically the template for all medium armour.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

The Greyhawk.9107

It’s all about taste. Every person likes design in their own way. I personally like most designs created so far. I also have a few dislikes, but it’s all subjective to each person. I am very sure that Guild Wars 2 designers like every single outfit and every single piece of armor or weapon.

Well of course who ever designed them probably liked them, how do you design something you hate?….waitaminute…maybe…nah.

At this point in time there isn’t much reason to keep bringing up the fact that taste is subjective, we all know this even if we don’t act like it. The problem is, frankly, that there are a decent amount of people that are tired of how the armors have been looking the past few years, and Anet needs to take their criticisms into consideration.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Kehlian.4380

Kehlian.4380

^this, Yeah it is perfectly subjective and we all know that. But a few people have voiced the fact that they are dissatisfied with the armor style.

I’m confused, the concept art the OP posted is a trenchcoat.

Yeah it is, but without the arm part (forgot the word in english), it’s like something under it.
And this one looks more like a reinforced one. You can actually feel the thickness of the breast part. Overall, it looks way better designed that what we get in game, (in my opinion)

The thing is, some heavy and light armor looks way more medium armor than actual medium armors.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

My characters pretty much all wear cultural or gem store armour. Which tells you a lot about how I feel about the armours added to the game. PoF isn’t likely to change that but I’m starting to warm to the warbeast armour.

I’d like a few short leather jackets, waist length or no further than the butt but ArenaNet’s designers seem unwilling to actually produce anything like that. They’re still fixated on the trenchcoat and butt cape with the occasional lopsided coat that only has a trenchcoat or butt cape on one side.

If I only had a good pair of scissors…

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

Count me in as well. I know taste is subjective, and I even like trench coats and dusters to a point. But now I would really like to see more form-fitting armor. Enough with all the butt capes and other stuff that sticks out a mile. My Thief would really like to sneak around without all that (in my mind) rustling fabric.

Posted by: ilmi.5369

ilmi.5369

+1
Especially on male toons the medium armor looks like crap (although I found the pirate stuff quite cool at the beginning and I also liked the leather coats).

But now, I’d like to have some medium armor that justifies to be called ARMOR. some leather breastplate, some cool leather leg and arm protection, some metal reinforcement woven in here and there. And especially for my huge Norn ranger who just looks stupid and fat with most of the existing armor skins.

EDIT: I forgot to complain about the ridiculous head armor. Why does medium head armor has to look like kind of S/M toys? Vote for more cool hoodies or helmets.

(edited by ilmi.5369)

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

+1
Especially on male toons the medium armor looks like crap (although I found the pirate stuff quite cool at the beginning and I also liked the leather coats).

But now, I’d like to have some medium armor that justifies to be called ARMOR. some leather breastplate, some cool leather leg and arm protection, some metal reinforcement woven in here and there. And especially for my huge Norn ranger who just looks stupid and fat with most of the existing armor skins.

EDIT: I forgot to complain about the ridiculous head armor. Why does medium head armor has to look like kind of S/M toys? Vote for more cool hoodies or helmets.

I think that the only armour like that in the game at the moment is on the gemstore or in the sPvP or WvW set.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krytan_armor (female only, male is a trenchcoat)
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strider%27s_armor (there’s a butt flap in the male version for some reason)
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glorious_armor
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_armor

I sometimes think it’d be better if they just… stopped earlier when designing armour. A lot of it is so overwrought.

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

I’m sure they could design some better armors, but they are busy making ‘’guild chat’’ videos where they talk about how awesome they are and what a great game they are making.

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?