Goofy Character Names...

Goofy Character Names...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: slayer.1083

slayer.1083

are you against people that give their characters goofy, corny, ridiculous names in Guild Wars 2?

Michael J Sharp

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Chrisplosion.3756

Chrisplosion.3756

X Swag Knight X

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

No.

/15 characters

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No why should I be?

The Burninator

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

No, not generally. I think most that get turned off by that are the RP elitists.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Coinspinner.5691

Coinspinner.5691

Stifflers Mom is a name that made me giggle a bit.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: slayer.1083

slayer.1083

What ever happened to people giving their characters Roleplaying / Lore friendly names in fantasy/medieval type MMOs???, names such as Agnarr, Hakon, Korr, Thorgrim, Conleth, Stenvar, and etc. people of the world.

Michael J Sharp

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

I find lore friendly names to be boring and forgettable unless it’s for an RP character. Funny names are what I tend to remember and I always enjoying seeing what people come up with.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

No…..why should I be against what someone names their character?
Really though, I find it cool to see how creative some people can be with their names, be it humorous, lore based or whatever. Some people have great imaginations

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

are you against people that give their characters goofy, corny, ridiculous names in Guild Wars 2?

I personally try to never use goofy names. I try to come up with a lore and backstory for each of my characters and give them a name I think fits their story. That’s just me.

I have absolutely NO problem with whatever choices, methods, or voodoo rituals other people use to come up with their character’s names, Hello!?!? It’s their character!

The goofiest name I ever used was for my GW1 Ele, I named him Slytheren N Fyre (slither in and fire).

The name I got most recognition (bad) for was a female warrior in GW1, her lore was that she had Canthan blood and her great grandmother married a merchant who would travel to a poor coastal village on the Jade sea. Her and her brother were separated at birth because an old dispute with a Luxon tribe threatened their lives. Long story short (too late) I named her Jada Alia Fyre. I constantly got pm’s asking if I named her after the adult movie star… Doh!!!

(edited by BilboBaggins.5620)

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

My toon name is glorious “Adventurous Steve”

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: mage.3570

mage.3570

I use “Herpwell kitten -i-n-t-o-n” on my storage alt, because all he does is stand in front of the TP.

Been there, done that. What’s next?

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What ever happened to people giving their characters Roleplaying / Lore friendly names in fantasy/medieval type MMOs???, names such as Agnarr, Hakon, Korr, Thorgrim, Conleth, Stenvar, and etc. people of the world.

Those names could be rendered goofy with minimal effort.

Agnarr Detrole
Hakon Hakoff
Korr Porr Eale
Thorgrim Havasnikkers
Conleth Ghodanthing
Stenvar Ikan Siu

I rather enjoy a good goofy name.

The table is a fable.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Hakon Hakoff

Thanks, I lost my drink when I lol’d at that xD

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I’m more partial to Korr Porr Eale

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I always give my characters lore-appropriate names (unless they’re PvP or mule characters, then all bets are off!), but I’m not too bothered by people running around with stupid names. It’s their character, they can name them whatever they want. I actually find it amusing sometimes what people come up with, like the Mesmer named “Ronald McDonald” who runs around giving Cheeseburgers and Fries to people.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Unless its something super immature or an offensive name then no have at it .

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Those names could be rendered goofy with minimal effort.

Agnarr Detrole
Hakon Hakoff
Korr Porr Eale
Thorgrim Havasnikkers
Conleth Ghodanthing
Stenvar Ikan Siu

I rather enjoy a good goofy name.

+1 very creative and amusing!
Thorgrim Havasnikkers was great!

I have a mix of names. It depends on the game most of the time. In EQ I always had more traditional names, but they had RP servers where I would actually RP.

GW2 is a more goofy lighthearted game. My characters are as follows here.

Millie Anne Watts – elementalist
Murder of Crows – Necro
Shield Maiden Brynh – Guardian who never uses a shield oddly enough
Pocket Mouse – another guardian – guess which race!
Mourn the light – My Sylvari Thief who is completely black and hides in shadows blah blah.

I have others but I don’t like them and will rename them at some point.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

They usually lead to a good chuckle for me every once in a while.

Personally I have to name my characters something serious. But I have a lot of friends who come up with silly names all the time.

I think it sometimes shows the persons personality a bit and that they may not be as serious about the game sometimes. Not thakittens a bad thing.

Then there is the other half that are troll alts that stand around in LA. :P

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Hey, I saw Pocket Mouse just yesterday!

I always try to do a name that fits the world. I never know when the character will become involved in RP, after all, plus I do think one should try to fit in and use a name someone would actually have, though nicknames can get odd. I do have a warrior named Mirth the Mouse, said moniker having stuck to her in her street gang days. Her real name is Eilen Drury, which has come out ICly exactly once before she stomped on any suggestion it might be used anywhere she could hear it.

That being said, I’m fine with creative tweakings of funny phrases such as Tachenon came up with. Intelligence and wit never go awry!

I think my only two really tweaked names used in RP have been:
Sosumi Idongishi (a DnD ninja when I was in high school) and
Altdragg Splitstack (my norn Engineer, used as a reminder of how to divide stacks of items).

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Goofy as in funny and clever, no

Goofy as in stupid (X Swag Knight X), yes

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

Saw an Engineer called W D Forty. Wish I’d thought of that.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Overpowered Ears = My big eared Asura Engineer.

I ? Karkas.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

How can u be against silly names, when the legendary short bow shoots my little ponies. The legendary mace is a disco ball. Fuzzy animal backpacks. The game has “silly” built in.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I myself like giving my characters at least mostly serious names… A norn named ‘Elltenia DelGanus’ (which is one of my alts names, btw) might not be rightly lore-friendly for a norn, but it’s a name I made up long before I started playing this game, so… yeah I kept it.

As for others? Eh, what they name their characters is completely up to them. So long as it’s not offensive (and there are some that can get pretty creative with that sort of thing…) then let them have at it.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

How can u be against silly names, when the legendary short bow shoots my little ponies. The legendary mace is a disco ball. Fuzzy animal backpacks. The game has “silly” built in.

You’d be surprised. I think.. A couple of weeks after release, I was in Fireheart Rise and I was having trouble with an SP. I asked in map chat if someone could help me, and somone literally told me because I didn’t have an RP Orientated name, they were unwanting to even help me, and they actually mocked me about it.

Of course, someone else basically told him to eff off for that, and he started saying, “Lol you’re kitten because I’m not going to help you so you called your friends” and yeah.. It was pretty.. I wouldn’t call it anything like traumatising, but it was just pathetic behaviour.

I ? Karkas.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

I have a small Asura Engineer named Stevie Hawkings, it seems to make people laugh when I post in team chat.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

You’d be surprised. I think.. A couple of weeks after release, I was in Fireheart Rise and I was having trouble with an SP. I asked in map chat if someone could help me, and somone literally told me because I didn’t have an RP Orientated name, they were unwanting to even help me, and they actually mocked me about it.

Of course, someone else basically told him to eff off for that, and he started saying, “Lol you’re kitten because I’m not going to help you so you called your friends” and yeah.. It was pretty.. I wouldn’t call it anything like traumatising, but it was just pathetic behaviour.

I know. I hate running into people like that. Funny thing is, I pity them, and wonder what made them like that. Though I think most of it is just “Internet anonymity”. If they acted that way in public, theres a good chance they’d get their kitten’s whipped.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

X Soccer Mom X

…..

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I know. I hate running into people like that. Funny thing is, I pity them, and wonder what made them like that. Though I think most of it is just “Internet anonymity”. If they acted that way in public, theres a good chance they’d get their kitten’s whipped.

That ‘Internet anonymity’ thing seriously brings out the very worst in a lot of people. Seriously, listen in on the mental 12 year olds that play Call of Duty or League of Legends (or any other PvP-centric game for that matter…)
Pity there is so little that can apparently be done about it though…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

I dislike people with goofy/stupid names but I’m not against them.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Thorgrim Havasnikkers

Nice.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I dislike people with goofy/stupid names but I’m not against them.

lolwut

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

I have a sylvari named Sir Salad Spritzer. He’s a ranger. Put 2 and 2 together now…

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: tanto.4217

tanto.4217

most of them yes, but some are too good to be mad at :P

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

My brother named his Charr

Butfart Burnfur =D

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

My brother named his Charr

Butfart Burnfur =D

I think I saw that name once

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In some MMOs silly character names might annoy me. In a game that doesn’t seem to aim for immersion, such as GW2, it doesnt bother me.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Iplaytokill.1674

Iplaytokill.1674

Named my Mesmer Illusionary Mesmer.

Get constant abuse in TPVP for ‘exploit’.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Saw a ranger named Pet Human Ranger or something like that, it was pretty funny.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: DayLight.9603

DayLight.9603

I met Chuck Nornris the other day! He had red hair, went about bare chested and ripped things apart with his hands. That was pretty awesome.

Sylvari for life. <3

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

My engi is called Spojbob Engipants.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

I hate it when there is no thought that has gone into a name… like when you see a character named Johnnnnn (just an example). There are so many ways to alter an already taken name just by looking at the lore behind your character, using different letters, spelling variations etc.

If it is silly but I can see some sort of effort then kudos (e.g. Butfart Burnfur – kinda fits the lore!). If it is just, “I’ll add letters until I can get it”, it frustrates me but each to their own.

I normally keep my char names fairly sensible (in case the novelty of an amusing name wears off)… although I do have a Charr warrior called Khom A Tme…

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Have No Faith In Me.1840

Have No Faith In Me.1840

I have Leafal Weapon (Sylvari warrior)

And a few weeks ago I was going to rename my charr guardian to Charrnese Farmlegion

But due to no more mf gear his role as main farmer has been downgraded to scarlet invasions only (staff 1 just can’t be matched), so I won’t be using the $10 to rename him :p

I do have some traditional names like Shea Shadowmeld (Human thief), Mjoll the Wolfheart (Norn necro), etc, but I don’t mind goofy names if it is creative.

My rangers river drake is called… Nathan Drake.

I saw Fabulous Charr (if I recall) he was a tier 1 heavy wearing charr, with every dye slot a different contrasting colour… he truly was quite fabulous.

Goofy names like (one I saw today) Yolo The Swag King make me cringe.

Lame teeny bopper ones like ‘iluvyoubebiei’ invoke a rage I only wish I could express without being infracted / temp banned in game.

(edited by Have No Faith In Me.1840)

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Crescendoll.7612

Crescendoll.7612

Quite early after launch I saw a fellow, dressed in medium armor in pink and yellow colors, named Lord Yolo Swagster. Made me both facepalm and giggle a bit.

Space reserved for future witty pop-culture references.

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I love silly names. I have seen some that made me spit my drink all over my keyboard. The ones I don’t like are the truly offensive stupidity that comes out of some 12 year old’s fantasies.

Some good ones I’ve seen:

Manly Butterflies (male human mesmer in Beta…my favorite)
Hice Ensalada (Spanish for “I made salad”)

My necro is Ella Cynder… and I used to have a female Charr engineer named Umblethina.

Level 80 Elementalist

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s their character, as long as it’s not against the EULA they can name them whatever they want.

Mine vary hugely depending on my plans for the character and my mood at the time. I haven’t yet ressurected Mys Terii from GW1 but I do have a reoccurring temp mesmer with a huge purple afro called Magenta King. I very briefly had one called Ruined Immersion who jumped all the time. At the other extreme my charr thief, Wraith Darkblade was purposefully made lore-appropriate.

I do it with my pets too. Most of them have sensible names but then I have drakes called Dragon or my raven called Quoth. (Bonus cookie points if you can get both references for the raven.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Pack Hunter.6103

Pack Hunter.6103

Unless its something super immature or an offensive name then no have at it .

This. Un-creative names annoy me but I usually spent 30 min on a name for mine so…

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Evermore…….

Goofy Character Names...

Posted by: Aeneasx.1589

Aeneasx.1589

My roommate and I have thief duo.
I Steal Cable TV
I Steal Vcrs