Great job on the Collections -

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

A lot of people fall for Anet’s illusion of content patches. That’s why they keep doing it.

It’s because Arenanet is a secret group of mesmers. In the first Guild Wars, we had Illusion Of Pain. In this game, we have illusion of content. Very soon, we will see the unleashing of the Mesmer MASTER RACE since the Inquest failed to conquer Tyria with their superior Mark II golems.

The Mantra Of Pain buff is only the beginning. Very soon, you will see the true power of the SCEPTER.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Saying those collection are long term golas is like saying that legendaries can be easily crafted without TP or Mystic forge. (i guess really few players drop a precursor or all T6).

Is total Bull.. nonsense

The usual bad attempt at rethoric to defend something extremely badly planned.

Not to mention it would take something like an year of farming (something far Beyond the most grindy mmorpg ever existed) RNG, for a reward you can get in 30 min without rng (timegated maybe but for a week or so).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Sokia.3710

(something far Beyond the most grindy mmorpg ever existed)

I’m sure there’s some Korean MMO’s with more grind.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i like them and i havent really seen any valid reasons to support collections being bad as long term goals in this topic.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I dunno, given how many grinding wheels I own in FF14 . . .

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Sokia.3710

I’ve never played FF14. But, with the way you describe it, it sounds like that game has a lot of grind.

As far as Guild Wars 2, we already knew that it had a huge Gear Grind. I saw someone doing it when they added How To Dance Volume 1 to the game.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’ve never played FF14. But, with the way you describe it, it sounds like that game has a lot of grind.

Actually I was being literal – See?

But on a serious note – it’s got as much grind as your average Final Fantasy title does, and marry that to an MMO structure. The result is both fascinating and not very pretty to consider at times.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Saying those collection are long term golas is like saying that legendaries can be easily crafted without TP or Mystic forge. (i guess really few players drop a precursor or all T6).

Is total Bull.. nonsense

Not to mention it would take something like an year of farming (something far Beyond the most grindy mmorpg ever existed) RNG, for a reward you can get in 30 min without rng (timegated maybe but for a week or so).

To be honest.. your just one of the reasons F2P / B2P games exist… ANET know not everyone likes to look at the game further down the road than after they finish their dinner, so they place carrots in front of us all that give us a choice.. work for it over time or buy it.
No one is forcing you to do the collections, nothing within the collections or their subsequent rewards are required for you to continue playing the game and the option is there to buy whatever you need should you so desire.. forgive me if I am wrong but I don’t see any gun being pointed at your head to warrant being so put out by this non-issue.

For all we know this may be a tester into something more substantial.. like our long overdue pre-cursor scavenger hunt, but if you think that will ever be just a simple WP to map collect a shiny part.. ding! you now own a pre-cursor, then you need to prepare yourself for bad news early… ANET need to make money, it has to, so these things are likely there to see how/where it can be utilised to do so. If that hurts your feelings then don’t play F2P MMO’s cos its how their business models have to work in order to keep it going. Perhaps a monthly sub MMO better serves your gaming habits .. but even they are beginning to implement cash shops as well now.

Put yourself in ANET’s shoes for a second.. now would you like to see a million players logging in on a concurrent basis regularly for a year because certain things in game have given them a portion of interest/goals etc whilst also playing the game .. or would you like to see a million players logging in for a week grabbing everything they need then disappearing until the next patch to rinse repeat.. then come back in a years time and take a look at your books publish your findings, I would hazard a guess ANET would prefer as many players to stay in game for as long a period as they can.. hence the carrots that are frequently put in front of us and the fluff in the TP alongside of those carrots.

As I have said previously though.. the only thing I can see warranting a little bit of narkiness is they actually spent quality time re-skinning the trash items for all this when perhaps it could of been better spent on other more necessary things.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Annette.6278

Annette.6278

I hadn’t even a thought that we must fill these new collections immediately by buying items or just complete it right now. xX This point of view has surprised me. It doesn’t matter for me whether or not these collections exist. It’s nice to play and receive some achievements for this but why should achievements be a goal and not just gaming and spending time with friends? oO

GW2 is almost a perfect MMORPG. Please, DON"T make it in such way like we are stupid.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I hadn’t even a thought that we must fill these new collections immediately by buying items or just complete it right now. xX This point of view has surprised me. It doesn’t matter for me whether or not these collections exist. It’s nice to play and receive some achievements for this but why should achievements be a goal and not just gaming and spending time with friends? oO

Welcome to the post-XBox age, when achievement collecting became important parts of games. Even if the “achievements” are little more than “turn on the game” “finish chapter 1” “your first fight”.

Though, snark aside. Different people get different . . . motivations to play a game. For some it’s about being the top dog, the mightiest character to exist. For others it’s about how to break the game, chain it up in the basement and make it beg for the end. For some it’s about having titles and stuff to show off to others and go “yeah I did that” and have proof rather than skepticism. For others it’s just hanging around doing goofy things like roleplaying you are the seventh son of a less-than-wealthy noble and adventuring is how you make a living.

(No, that’s my character concept and you can’t have it.)

There’s nothing really wrong about any of these motivations . . . I mean, there’s obviously “bad” motivations, such as playing the game solely to annoy or torment someone else either specifically or randomly chosen. Or playing to try to break the game in ways which make it virtually unplayable for others. (“Bot lane or feed”.)

Achievements are for, honestly, the collectors who love to have a list of things to do and then get them done so they can chat about it. They’re not for the people who can, really, make their own fun out of things . . . again, roleplayers take what there is and just run with it to have a blast. (Not just in this game but across other games – I witnessed a game of MTG once where it was roleplayed out as a duel between two nemeses who were striving to prove the other was the weaker . . . and yes, they played ante but I learned that was part of the “game outside the game”. And I’ve even watched . . . yes, really now, Catan being roleplayed.)

I say this with little snark, and a lot of passion:

The game is what you make of it, and the limits of how to entertain yourself are a box also to be thought outside of.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

You seem to be pretty vague about which collections you are referring to.

As this is a passive aggressive complaint thread of course it’s vague. I imagine OP immediately jumped onto the forum and went about detailing his grievances while still in a fairly unpleasant mood and as such things such as proper communication wasn’t a priory when compared to his personal need to inform us all of his feelings.

The idea behind the collections is awesome but it’s a feature where I hoped that they would put more effort in it, or released it at a later state. Because right now the rewards we got for really high end stuff set the tone for upcoming collection achievements. A complete set of corrupted weapons? Here you get a generic exotic, that’s lame. Why not a cool corrupted themed backpack or a piece of armor?

I also think that there should be a collector achievement for every set in the game, like kitten cultural weapons, etc. These collections are easier to get and may encourage newtimers to collect them aswell.

True enough, some of the rewards could be better. However I like to think that at least the current system is fairly scale-able. Hopefully ANet will actually go about adding more collection as time goes on. For now I think most of their effort probably went into the crafting backpack.

Now explain me something : how can you get, for exemple, all black lion collections without farming like a pure no life (and don’t do anything else) or using real money ?

I think you’re thinking incorrectly. You’re assuming the completionist mindset i.e. if it’s there I have to do it, I should be able to do it and I must do it. Not all content has to be accessible to all players and not all content has to be accessible immediately or achievable through grind.

Seriously people, the game is meant to be played, not bought. You’re complaining because you cant cheaply BUY your way to content that you can also PLAY to get?

Pardon me while I wipe this tear away….

Fairness is an odd concept, some people think it’s unfair that they can’t do everything easily.

Thank Kormir you don’t need to complete the collections

Unless you’re one of those completionist types… they don’t seem to be able to understand that need and want aren’t the same thing.

You know what’s funny? I’ve had over half those exotic items at one point or another, sold most of them. Or salvaged them if they werent selling for more. Imagine how I feel now lol

Oh I know the feeling :P
But meh it’s a game, I’m playing it to have fun so I try not to stress the little things.

A lot of people fall for Anet’s illusion of content patches. That’s why they keep doing it.

Exactly! And how dare they call these content-less patches feature patches!

Western Society has become surprisingly instant-gratification oriented so it’s not that surprising. What surprises me is that no one seems to have any idea that this is the case.

Welcome to the post-XBox age, when achievement collecting became important parts of games. Even if the “achievements” are little more than “turn on the game” “finish chapter 1” “your first fight”.

Actually I blame McDonnalds… but yeah I guess xbox achievements didn’t help.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Is total Bull.. nonsense

To be honest.. your just one of the reasons F2P / B2P games exist… .

You are wrong…
I play mostly Fractals and WWW….
Simply i hate when they use those sort of lazy design to hide a total lack of content.

Not even a skin…nothing just a 2D icon and a couple points in stat moves that won t change anything (and to be fair, the commendation/laurels trinkets are even better).

B2P has sense on the other side.
It have worked for years until few companies learnt how to get more money with less efforts.
(also served based games…but i liked Gw2 because of what i knew about Gw1….and what i play could be mostly changed to host based).

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

You seem to be pretty vague about which collections you are referring to.

As this is a passive aggressive complaint thread of course it’s vague. I imagine OP immediately jumped onto the forum and went about detailing his grievances while still in a fairly unpleasant mood and as such things such as proper communication wasn’t a priory when compared to his personal need to inform us all of his feelings.

My neighbor, you can’t say things like that. You can’t disagree with the OP in his thread or it’s derailing the thread.

Posted by: Annette.6278

Annette.6278

Though, snark aside. Different people get different . . . motivations to play a game.

Thanks, but I know about different motivations and all that you explained to me. Yes, i like to see some achivements are done and receive a chest for it and it’s collector’s feeling but these collections aren’t like a part of Living Story in the past when if you don’t do it in time you don’t complete it ever.

GW2 is almost a perfect MMORPG. Please, DON"T make it in such way like we are stupid.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I don’t know, maybe they were meant to be long term goals and the purpose of them isn’t just to buy everything off the trading post. That would be my guess.

I don’t really agree. The way this was designed is actually possible to have completed many of these achievements, especially under the new skin system.
Not only that, but due to the notorious RNG we have many achievements just.. don’t really feel practical.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Charleston Chew.1209

Charleston Chew.1209

I’m sorry to hear ArenaNet holds you at gunpoint forcing you to fill all collections. I wish there was something I could do to help you, hold your hand or something. #staystrong

Kill me again or take me as I am,
for I shall not change.

Sokia.3710

I’m sorry to hear ArenaNet holds you at gunpoint forcing you to fill all collections. I wish there was something I could do to help you, hold your hand or something. #staystrong

Let’s all hold hands and repeat:

There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home. There’s no place like home.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

My only real problem with the collection system is that it just isn’t very rewarding if you’re not into collecting just for the sake of collecting or a compulsive completer.

I got 4 collections instantly upon logging on and I imagine I’ll get the honorary skritt one someday because it’s a funny title, but the rest I consider nothing more than GUI pollution.

Sokia.3710

I got 4 collections instantly upon logging on and I imagine I’ll get the honorary skritt one someday because it’s a funny title

Honorary Skritt is totally the best title in the game.

Posted by: Shadowsrb.6241

Shadowsrb.6241

unless u r some noob i dont see why do you even care about new collections,they just made table in menu for all pointless items in game and call it collection.Are you going to get 15 skins u dont need to get one reward skin u could use?Point is to spend money/gold so u must play more and collect more money/gold.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

unless u r some noob i dont see why do you even care about new collections,they just made table in menu for all pointless items in game and call it collection.Are you going to get 15 skins u dont need to get one reward skin u could use?Point is to spend money/gold so u must play more and collect more money/gold.

Strangely enough some people actually enjoy collecting things, even in real life. A bottle cap is worth nothing, but I know someone that collected them. Collectors don’t do it for some kind of reward. The collecting itself is fun for a collector.

I’ve collected all sorts of stuff in my life, so this is a great update for me. Naturally if you don’t like collecting, the rewards aren’t so great that you need to feel like you have to be a collector.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

For the time being morfedel we will just agree to disagree. Fair enough?
EZD . I’m glad you get what I was driving at .

Fair enough

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Does everyone here understand that the idea behind collections is to go out into the world of Tyria and collect things? and not, you know, simply buy them off the TP and cry about how everything is overpriced? If it’s overpriced, then go collect it like it’s meant to.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I got 4 collections instantly upon logging on and I imagine I’ll get the honorary skritt one someday because it’s a funny title

Are we allowed to agree on something?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m scanning the TOS to see if we can.

Make that 3. I love that title.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Does everyone here understand that the idea behind collections is to go out into the world of Tyria and collect things? and not, you know, simply buy them off the TP and cry about how everything is overpriced? If it’s overpriced, then go collect it like it’s meant to.

I presume the OP mean exotic hunter achievement.

In my 5000 hours played I probably found around 4-5 of the 34 exotic. Maybe if I played 100,000 hours more, I’ll get it the normal way.

Ok I’m exaggerating, if I spend 5000 hours “just farming champ bag” I probably get most of it by now. But that is just not realistic. You are better of farming gold and buy them.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m scanning the TOS to see if we can.

Make that 3. I love that title.

Less I think it’s the coolest title . . . but think it’s a cool one to throw out there for a collection which is about the right amount of patience and work to finish.

Now if only the rest of the collections were for new items which were Account-Bound so it would be less about just buying the right ones . . .

laokoko.7403

Right, anyway, I just checked spidy, and I think price for exotic hunter actually spiked after september 9th.

So I don’t think the spike is because of insider information.

And even if there are no inside information, someone will most likely found out before you and stock pile on the items.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Obtaining 100% in all collections is quite an undertaking….you should expect it to be expensive.

I do not believe that it is realistic to assume that obtaining 1 of everything that has ever existed in any video game should be an easy feat.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

laokoko.7403

Obtaining 100% in all collections is quite an undertaking….you should expect it to be expensive.

I do not believe that it is realistic to assume that obtaining 1 of everything that has ever existed in any video game should be an easy feat.

quite honestly, I dont’ care about 100% collections, but some collections rewards are acutally quite good. I really just want the karmic converter, that’s why I’m interest in that specific collection.

I presume the 1000 gold the OP talked about is actually about that too. And actually the price have dropped some what so I dont’ think it cost that much now.

I think the OP are more concerned about the price spike. someone was complaining about it earlier on the BLTC. What used to cost 300 gold now become 1000 gold. That being said, I think those people are exaggerating, I dont’ think it cost that much.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Bloodstealer.5978

Is total Bull.. nonsense

To be honest.. your just one of the reasons F2P / B2P games exist… .

You are wrong…
I play mostly Fractals and WWW….
Simply i hate when they use those sort of lazy design to hide a total lack of content.

Not even a skin…nothing just a 2D icon and a couple points in stat moves that won t change anything (and to be fair, the commendation/laurels trinkets are even better).

B2P has sense on the other side.
It have worked for years until few companies learnt how to get more money with less efforts.
(also served based games…but i liked Gw2 because of what i knew about Gw1….and what i play could be mostly changed to host based).

Hmmm not sure whether to laugh or cry.. so I am wrong because you are a Fracs and WvW player, but still feel the need to come to thread to whine on about an achievement that has no bearing on your gameplay, makes no difference to you unless of course you actually are so put out about it but don’t like the thought of buying the items from the TP or work for the items/achievements over time.. both of these options are traditional B2P/F2P concepts.. difference is in GW2 you are not forced to do it and it does not limit your game in any which way.
No I don’t think I was wrong.. .. but apparently because your choice is to play only a certain facet of the game you feel it justifies your original response in some way.. confused, much!

Bloodstealer.5978

quite honestly, I dont’ care about 100% collections, but some collections rewards are acutally quite good. I really just want the karmic converter, that’s why I’m interest in that specific collection.

I presume the 1000 gold the OP talked about is actually about that too. And actually the price have dropped some what so I dont’ think it cost that much now.

I think the OP are more concerned about the price spike. someone was complaining about it earlier on the BLTC. What used to cost 300 gold now become 1000 gold. That being said, I think those people are exaggerating, I dont’ think it cost that much.

To be honest.. it would not matter what items had a facelift in game and became a little more important.. it could be literally anything, and someone who likes to play the TP as part of their fun will take a stab at hoarding things in readiness for the update.. .. minis, dyes, etc etc.. all have seen price spiking of late not just the new craze for some exotic names things.. to not expect price spikes around updates etc is a little naïve though.. and of course it goes back to the OP not having to spend anything on them if he/she didn’t want to cos there isn’t any rush to be that special snowflake.
In a short space of time the prices will likely normalise again.. Mini’s are a decent example of that, cos prior to the update they began to spike by around 50%+.. now they are already dropping back to what they were weeks before and so will other items as more and more players obtain them.

Posted by: Ethan Mccloud.3218

Ethan Mccloud.3218

mmmmm As the OP as I am commonly refer to , I think its time to put a few items to rest.

1. I’m an achievement kitten . I love doing them an I’d prefer they be obtainable thur quests an or karma events. Even scavenger hunts are great an I will gladly kill any boss in PVE to get that achievement done.

2. I have the money/gold to buy most of the achievements but I neither desire or have the will to burn thur it to do said achievements. to buy an achievement is cheap (my opinion an only my opinion.) that said I didn’t buy your game so I have no right to suggest or muse or even politely point out a way u can play your game.

3. In all fairness , I did start this thread in frustration . That’s my issue an I will deal with it but I had to get it off my chest. I know some people had inside knowledge of the happenings of the patch and it’s evitable spike of the prices . I also know that quite a few capitalize on said knowledge . To believe otherwise is insane but hey its a game.
In RL though in the stock market I do believe that would of been a crime. but as I will state . SEE —-——→ (my issue ).

4. I see that most of the people here who were commenting on what they thought I was suggesting , saying , whining, complaining , etc etc . (I love assumptions by the way ) were pretty far off track . Good efforts all a round but just no. ( and again , its my thread so I’m responsible for not being more specific) . The 1000 gold comment was mainly aimed at the blacklion ticket/scrap weapons. Unless u farm or grind the gold to buy the weapons off the bltp or pull out the credit card for a little swipey swipey to get the gems For keys for chests .You will never get that one done. Then that achievement pretty much stays empty. (Que the responses that are popular thus far.. { don’t like it , don’t play it problem solve } { you don’t need to complete it so fast , its ment to be a fun progression an you’ll get them later } {Op just wants to buy his way to done, so sad for him . } yeah an a few more that really just boggles the mind. For those who haven’t figured it out yet . I have a compulsive problem when it comes to collecting , it a slot goes empty for to long that holds an items , it severely bothers me . And before anyone say the rather irritating response . YES IT IS MY PROBLEM!. who the hell else’s problem would it be. My post is a frustration towards it , albeit poorly produced but when alcohol is involved …. need I say more . For those to young to drink , don’t start you see where this post derailed . Don’t let it happen to u.

5. Now for the last an final bit cause I know many are tired of this thread . I feel the need to show an example of my compulsiveness ( thank god it has nothing to do with grammar although I’m sure someone could correctively ripped this post apart with all the errors but then you would be showing your compulsive side) just so we are clear an on the same page (see first line of section 1.) In Gw1 just to have something to do for the latter end of the game , I farmed green weapons . I literally ran to a boss an killed it over an over again until it gave me what I wanted . After about 2 months , I had and still have every possible green u can get from a drop. Then I had to get the endgame greens (beat the game -get a token – trade for endgame green – wash rinse repeat , after using all my toons (45 I believe I had ) I had to farm the remaining gold to to buy the tokens from other players to finish the PERSONAL quest .(yes I have issues ) but yes I got all those greens as well . by the time I was done , I had pretty much farmed well over 900 greens -closer to 970/980ish but i’m too lazy to pull the spreadsheet atm . See section 1 , first line again .

Now that I think I have properly explained my position on the matter , I’m happy to put the matter to rest. If u feel though that I have missed something , then please feel free to shoot me a message an I will gladly converse with u in game. More then happy to hear your rebuttal.

Thanks again

Gwen
Tarnish Coast Defender
Proud Member OF “TSF” The Shining Force.

laokoko.7403

To be honest.. it would not matter what items had a facelift in game and became a little more important.. it could be literally anything, and someone who likes to play the TP as part of their fun will take a stab at hoarding things in readiness for the update.. .. minis, dyes, etc etc.. all have seen price spiking of late not just the new craze for some exotic names things.. to not expect price spikes around updates etc is a little naïve though.. and of course it goes back to the OP not having to spend anything on them if he/she didn’t want to cos there isn’t any rush to be that special snowflake.
In a short space of time the prices will likely normalise again.. Mini’s are a decent example of that, cos prior to the update they began to spike by around 50%+.. now they are already dropping back to what they were weeks before and so will other items as more and more players obtain them.

I dont’ know, there is a bunch of games that dont’ have item change price as volatile as GW2 have. Actually I can’t think of any MMORPG does that except GW2. I think you are just talking about this game in general. Obviously other game have it too, but GW2 take it to the extreme.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I like how people and John Smith like to pretend that releasing information to Dulfy is the same thing as making info public. As if that information didn’t reach certain circles before it reached others in a public fourm. By the time it was uploaded on dulfy that night it was already to late to act on that information.

The only true way to make sure information is publicly released is to release it in the game first via the update before anywhere else. Not every player uses or much less knows about dulfy.

As for the black lion collections and the new mini collection achievements… It was a real cash grab move to include things that are primarily gemstore and then change the rules on people on the mini-collections so they have to do it again. Things that are advertised in the gemstore have no business being in game goals.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I might be mistaken, but I don’t think Dulfy was in the loop for the feature pack.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I might be mistaken, but I don’t think Dulfy was in the loop for the feature pack.

Dulfy had the lists of collections the night before the patch released. I know because I was reading them before it went live.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Right, anyway, I just checked spidy, and I think price for exotic hunter actually spiked after september 9th.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Collections-Non-RNG-precursors/first

English is not my native language, sorry :<