Greatsaws & Ghastly shields Galore

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

So, has anyone noticed the large amount of greatsaws and ghastly grinning shields popping up? Kinda absurd how quickly they are coming and selling even to bids as low as 500g at one point. Curious.

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

People coming back to the game, and noticing the skins they had in their inventory are worth a lot is part of it, but not too big a part.

I think the main reason is that people need cash…. due to costs of guild halls, ascended crafting, etc. So a lot of people are dipping into their investments to get some quick cash, only issue here, people undercut, and no one wants to remove an item for sale due to posting costs, this coupled with other people who normally would buy the skins, also running low on liquid gold due to the same reasons…

So fewer people with the funds buying aesthetic items, more people trying to sell their stockpiles, and just less liquid gold in the market in general I think.

(Greatsaws and Shields aren’t the only things hurting in price)

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Pixel factory started its furnaces to melt player’s gold.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

People coming back to the game, and noticing the skins they had in their inventory are worth a lot is part of it, but not too big a part.

I think the main reason is that people need cash…. due to costs of guild halls, ascended crafting, etc. So a lot of people are dipping into their investments to get some quick cash, only issue here, people undercut, and no one wants to remove an item for sale due to posting costs, this coupled with other people who normally would buy the skins, also running low on liquid gold due to the same reasons…

So fewer people with the funds buying aesthetic items, more people trying to sell their stockpiles, and just less liquid gold in the market in general I think.

(Greatsaws and Shields aren’t the only things hurting in price)

Tell me about it.

My little side, gold making ‘key running to get skins to sell’ crashed and is merrily burning, what with the general decreases in prices for multiple reasons and various nerfs.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ven Zehn.6573

Yea, though luckily if you bought skins n such at their lowest prices, you can still profit now, just not nearly as much as before.

PlagueParade.7942

Idk. The amount that is being put out in such a short time span I mean that shield jumped from about 10-20 to 90+ (peak was at 100+ earlier today) in a couple days? That seems more than just a few people offloading for gold. And it’s not just putting them up for sale at 1k gold they’ve been sold to for 500g+. And now I am seeing the Scythe going in the same direction. You don’t think Anet may have decided to resupply them since they didn’t have them out this past Halloween perhaps?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Might be the expansion. Some people come back and realize they became warren buffet

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Idk. The amount that is being put out in such a short time span I mean that shield jumped from about 10-20 to 90+ (peak was at 100+ earlier today) in a couple days? That seems more than just a few people offloading for gold. And it’s not just putting them up for sale at 1k gold they’ve been sold to for 500g+. And now I am seeing the Scythe going in the same direction. You don’t think Anet may have decided to resupply them since they didn’t have them out this past Halloween perhaps?

Re-supply who? Or from where?

laokoko.7403

Re-supply who? Or from where?

He think Anet are Santa’s. And start selling things cheeply.

Ven Zehn.6573

Anet has no reason to touch things like skins.

Everyone selling things by undercutting, especially by a lot, hope for a quick sale, but if doesn’t sell quickly, more people will undercut in time.

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

Sure thing. All costumes from gem store are imported from China. And precursors from Dwarven blacksmiths.

(edited by Manu.6078)

laokoko.7403

Sure thing. All costumes from gem store are imported from China. And precursors from Dwarven blacksmiths.

Make sense. All iPhone are made in China.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

It’s all a side effect of the recession the economy is in.

Raw gold is simple worth more than any single item any speculator was holding onto.

laokoko.7403

I wonder how many ghastly sheild OP have. Or maybe he’s trying to buy them all.

PlagueParade.7942

Me? I got 1 for 500g and yea i’ll hold on to it. And yeah i’ll hold onto it to sell months and months down the line. But it is weird for so many to be for sale at once, considering how few there were before hand. People keep saying that it’s just players coming back for HoT release but this many in the span of under a week? And HoT has been out since mid Oct. why the delay if they wanted/needed gold? It just doesn’t make sense to me. All I can think is that yeah Anet decided to distribute them since they didn’t in halloween and it took this long to finally give the green light.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Me? I got 1 for 500g and yea i’ll hold on to it. And yeah i’ll hold onto it to sell months and months down the line. But it is weird for so many to be for sale at once, considering how few there were before hand. People keep saying that it’s just players coming back for HoT release but this many in the span of under a week? And HoT has been out since mid Oct. why the delay if they wanted/needed gold? It just doesn’t make sense to me. All I can think is that yeah Anet decided to distribute them since they didn’t in halloween and it took this long to finally give the green light.

I admit I’m not following you.

Are you saying that ANet, without comment, mailed out hundreds of these skins (and it would have to be that many at minimum to cover the time span, the number of people who would keep the skin and the number of people who got one but haven’t logged on) to various accounts (chosen how?) and no one commented on it on the forums or in chat? They all just silently took these skins mailed to them and put them up for sale?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

PlagueParade.7942

No, not mailed them to ppl just put them on the tp for sale. I mean when they were going for over 1k I put an offer on for sale for 500g and got it. They have said they’re keeping a close eye on the TP and talked about keeping it in line. Skins in general have been dropping in price as well. A lot that we’ve seen for 200g have dropped to 150 or less aether skins have dropped considerably since they were put in Fractals. I am just saying it’s a bit much for so many of these Halloween skins to be coming out in the span of a few weeks. The greatsaw GS has been dropping in price since 2-3 weeks ago and has gotten to the point it is now where before it was selling for over 2k gold. Then the ghastly grinning shield is now dropping in price and even the Scythe has dropped from its 4k gold to 1k now. Those 3 skins are really the only ones I have seen that have gotten such a dramatic price drop considering they are not dropping in game somewhere.

And no, other people above have just assumed that returning players that have held onto these skins that they had in their banks for awhile have started selling them to get a quick profit due to the inflation of said skin.

(edited by PlagueParade.7942)

Posted by: Alone.1784

Alone.1784

I’m assuming it’s more insider knowledge of something upcoming. Maybe a re-release of the skins through SAB?

Posted by: FearSeven.6357

FearSeven.6357

If the returning players theory is true, then why didn’t the Chain Sword Skin drop in price?

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Well chain sword did drop, but not much. But I fully agree with you that returning players is for sure not the answer. Not only is the amount of available ghastly skins on the tp still raising, there are even more sold to buy orders directly. Just last saturday and sunday there have been sold ~50 shields (and by far not all to flippers, because I know at least ten people, myself included, that bought one and bound it to their accounts).

Over the last two weeks I asked every trader I know and checked every source I found, but sadly still noone has an idea from where now this extremly uncommon and high supply comes. (Remember even Halloween 2014 gave only 100 of these skins and most went acc-bound in the last 3.5 Yeats)

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

(edited by Bomber.3872)

laokoko.7403

I don’t know the answer.

But people also need to understand there are hoarders out there. This hoarders hoard things, they never spend any money, they just hoard things.

I don’t even think it is a big deal just 1 person can hoard 50 shields. I think people are making too much a deal out of it.

I’m a person with 20k gold and 1 legendary. Perfect example. Some other guy I know bought 100 shadow great sword. There are people like that out there.

Or there is some mysterious force that start generating this shield some where. It is a good thing anyway. People can get it cheaper now. Most investor who got it early made money already anyway. So the only person got hurt out of this is the people who invested late. Or bought it too expensive for themselves before.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

@Iakoko: What you say is right for 99.99% of all skins. It is not right for the halloween skins like ghastly grinning shield. Halloween skins have only be available during halloween 2012 (so 2 month after release) and already in 2012 they needed an insane amount of rng luck to get one (They have been very expensive during the event, at that time most traders and extremly rich people didn’t have enough gold to even buy one!)

That was 3 years ago! 2014 anet added 100 more which didn’t decrease the price very much and most of these skins went acc-bound. So yes this is a big deal because it can’t be explained by usual hoarders or veterans or any normal player/trader.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

(edited by Bomber.3872)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I was one of the lucky guys who got one in 2012 and I sold it for 60g lol. I almost shot punched myself after a couple of months.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong