Greatsword favoritism

Greatsword favoritism

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

Seriously why do greatswords have such a large selection of nice skins while maces, axes, daggers, scepters, pistols, etc generally look like total crap.

Hell, more effort was put into the level 21 Jotun Greatsword that you can get for 400 karma than any mace or dagger skin in the game.

What’s the deal?

Also, why are there 3 legendary greatswords? Did you forget that there are 4 other classes in the game that can’t use greatswords?

Ranger//Necro

(edited by infantrydiv.1620)

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Sorry for my english.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

Greatsword is the father to swords and grandfather to dagger. He has had a longer life and has amassed more wealth in that time than his sons, and so he has the funds to buy more expensive and nice skins for himself.

Axe and Mace spent their college years playing videogames and only had a C average and so they can’t afford the things Greatsword can, Though occasionally he kicks them down some cash for old times sake. He doesn’t call himself great, he is too humble for that. Just sword is good enough for him, but the rest of us recognize his greatness and the title was made apart of his name.

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

I tend to agree. Only hope I’ve seen recently was the new Genesis/Entropy hammers. Of course they also made Crystal Guardian which looks awesome.

Then look at the other weapons compared to those 3…no awesome effects or new designs really. The staff is literally a scepter skin which they took and stretched out lol. The bows are a big Meh. Komalie’s Sacrificial Blade is decent but again you can tell they are focused on making cool greatsword skins.

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Zedd.8239

Zedd.8239

I’d love to see more great mace skins. As a mace guardian, I find most of the mace skins to be rather disappointing. Even the legendary mace is a huge joke item. There was a great opportunity with the Zodiac mace and…it’s a freaking wild boar head on a stick. Sure, it’s a great looking wild boar on a stick. But it doesn’t match anything I have and I’d never be able to take my character seriously while wielding that thing.

At the moment, the only mace skin I actually like is the Fractal Mace. Since I’ve only been able to get one of those in the 9 months I’ve been doing fractals, I’m really glad I was able to get it early on or I’d be one really frustrated mace user.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

This is my exact complain, most staves are a long ugly old stick with something semi interesting. Greatswords? They have beautiful hilts, blades, effects, trails.

Thats why Im trying so hard to get Greatsword on Elementalists, the Sunrise is the most beautifully aesthetic weapon in any game I have ever play, yet it is only available to classes I dont like, only one I could g for it gameplay wise is mesmer and you dont get to show it off (effects wise) much.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Seriously why do greatswords have such a large selection of nice skins while maces, axes, swords, daggers, etc generally look like total crap.

Hell, more effort was put into the level 21 Jotun Greatsword that you can get for 400 karma than any mace or dagger skin in the game.

What’s the deal?

Also, why are there 3 legendary greatswords? Did you forget that there are 4 other classes in the game that can’t use greatswords?

this kind of things happens when they let someone in the team put too much of his own personal taste into the game which IMO shows a lack of control and objectivity pre-implementation and poor testing post-implementation.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

Seriously why do greatswords have such a large selection of nice skins while maces, axes, swords, daggers, etc generally look like total crap.

What’s the deal?

this kind of things happens when they let someone in the team put too much of his own personal taste into the game which IMO shows a lack of control and objectivity pre-implementation and poor testing post-implementation.

I agree.

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

On a second note, I find every greatsword but the Fellblade ugly. Especially the legendaries. I’m still waiting for something that doesn’t look like a bunch of rocks on a stick, or something with a bit of personality. The Zodiac hammer, for instance, is probably my new favorite weapon because of the love that went into it.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Lucretia.8507

Lucretia.8507

imo they should have a design a weapon contest for the other weapons like they did in GW1 and implement them into the game since they obviously are not going to do it themselves…

Turnip ~ altaholic
[PVP] Fort Aspenwood

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

@Viking… Of course, some people will have different opinions. But the general impression I get from others is also that they like the greatsword skins a lot more. There are nice skins for other weapons in the game… but I’m not seeing the same amount of creativity or asthetic design I see in greatswords.

@Lucretia… That would be cool!

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

Except for The Crossing, I have not seen a staff I like yet. This sucks as I have almost 2k hours on a staff elementalist, and that staff is clearly meant for necros.

Please Anet, release a nice staff for once.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It follows the same design as the rest of the game… if a warrior can’t use it and it doesn’t involve a warrior then just ignore it for the most part.

Want to know why we got some really awesome hammers all of a sudden… check out the new PvP meta… hammer warriors everywhere. Every game I go into has 3-4 hammer warriors. Then all of a sudden BAM hammers of awesomeness are in the game.

Most popular PvE class/weapon combo… GS… best weapons… GS….

Why do you think warriors have the highest base HP, highest base Armor and highest base dmg in the game? Why can they do 20k dmg in a single attack while condition specs can’t do 20k dmg in 20 seconds?

Everything warrior related gets the attention in this game. If you aren’t playing a warrior then you are doing it wrong.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

It follows the same design as the rest of the game… if a warrior can’t use it and it doesn’t involve a warrior then just ignore it for the most part.

Oh the perks of being a lead designer…

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

1H Swords are mostly okay. Esp now that they’re finally commemorating Bonetti.
(which true to its origins/homage, looks a lot like Inigo Montoya’s rapier)

Maces and Daggers …. ugh … Time for them to do a “Design a weapon” Contest again.
They also need to give Maces to Engineers and add a bunch of Tool skins (It doesn’t have to all be Wrenches), & a nice 1H Warhammer would get a lot of takers as well.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: DOW Mageski.2097

DOW Mageski.2097

Yea GS is OP in this game. I would like to see more balance when it comes to other weapons such as Axe and Sword for classes in this game. A example might be Axe for Ranger and Sword for Guardian, both are out classed by the GS in these classes.

#OccupySAB2014 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Forgotten Vanguard [TFV], a 18+ great guild. On the Gandara server.
Join. http://forgottenvanguard.enjin.com/

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Probably because greatswords are big enough to be seen, so effort put into them isn’t wasted.

Which is why I wish we could make one hand weapons bigger….

Greatsword favoritism

Fortus.6175

Yea GS is OP in this game. I would like to see more balance when it comes to other weapons such as Axe and Sword for classes in this game. A example might be Axe for Ranger and Sword for Guardian, both are out classed by the GS in these classes.

actually I disagree with guardians in this aspect, Swrod guardian in PvE is the highest damage of all weapons, specially with something like x/30/x/x/x, crit in almsot every hit, 5 attacks in 3 steps and each hit around 3-4k so thats a LOT of DPS, PvP it kinda sucks unless you have a focus for the burst.

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I have yet to see a pretty/beautiful great sword but maybe my tastes are to high, I don’t feel there are feminine enough GS skins, only one I know of looks like an elaborate cheese butter knife called the Beaded Claymore, But I would like more/better skins for the other weapons especially scepters & stakitten

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

This is pretty much useless feedback as there is a large variety of skins for all other weapons as well. Instead of blatantly stating that every dagger/mace/sword etc skin is – I quote – “crap” maybe suggest skins/styles you would like to see or feel are important for the particular kind of weapon.

As far as the legendary versions I sort of agree, then on the other hand it would have been a shame to dismiss the concept in favour of “fairness”.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

To staves they could do a “4 elemental” effects to fit as ele and a “genesis” staff to fit as guard.

Sorry for my english.

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

This is pretty much useless feedback as there is a large variety of skins for all other weapons as well. Instead of blatantly stating that every dagger/mace/sword etc skin is – I quote – “crap” maybe suggest skins/styles you would like to see or feel are important for the particular kind of weapon.

As far as the legendary versions I sort of agree, then on the other hand it would have been a shame to dismiss the concept in favour of “fairness”.

“Generally” does not equal “every”. If you want to point out generalizations, please don’t make them yourself. Thinking about it again, I think sword skins are in a fairly good place compared to scepter and pistol

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Fortus.6175

“Generally” does not equal “every”. If you want to point out generalizations, please don’t make them yourself. Thinking about it again, I think sword skins are in a fairly good place compared to scepter and pistol

Infinite Light comes to mind, also the new purple one, Bolt is amazing on its own. Yes, Swords have good skins,.

Now, staves….. except crossing (for necros) or Bifrost (not really my thing, rainbows are pretty but…) we dont have many good stuff, just the bad ol’ fugly stick with something on top with some barely-noticeable effect

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

To staves they could do a “4 elemental” effects to fit as ele and a “genesis” staff to fit as guard.

Yes, I have no idea why we don’t have staves with nice elemental effects yet.

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

Pop quiz:

Is this a warhorn, or a pistol?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/archive/3/3e/20121015061623%21Pearl_Handcannon.jpg

Adding to the community weapon design contest: I’d love to have it be a weekly or biweekly project with the new skins being made available through karma vendors around the world. It would excite both old and new players to actually have cool weapon skins buyable with karma.

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Fair enough, I’m looking forward to more constructive criticism.

I am certainly curious about the next batch of legendaries.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Condas.7056

Condas.7056

I don’t know… Infinite Light is pretty kitten impressive, and probably the only skin I have yet to see on a player. Well exluding underwater legendaries.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I think the problem is that they insist on making smaller weapons really, really small. I mean sure it is a dagger, but I’d rather it be visible and cool looking then realistically small.

Right now daggers and pistols and to some extent scepters are just too small to have a lot of detail. Also for some reason they are mostly lacking particle effects, or they are too small to notice.

I don’t know what the problem with stakitten is… They can do pretty much anything with them but they are almost all just sticks with a tiny topper.

I think fan contests with voting would be the best possible thing they could do.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

In a game where their profit is made off cosmetic items, I’d say this is a very important bit of feedback for the Design team.

Greatsword favoritism

Fortus.6175

I would not be surprised if a “lightsaber” kind of skin (not the SAB one) is introduced soon with the new SAB release or later on, and of course, GS get to pick it. I will go further, you will be able to dye the color of said light blade and GS will be the first to be allowed this. Staves will be last, IF, they get it

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

What’s painful is that there are quite some nice Trident skins out there, which are hardly ever used because underwater combat is so uncommon, such as here, here and this one too. Each of them being a lot better than any of the staves out there.

(edited by Late For Tea.1846)

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

What’s painful is that there are quite some nice Trident skins out there, which are hardly ever used because underwater combat is so uncommon, such as here, here and [url=http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/b8/Norn_Trident.jpg]this one[url] too. Each of them being a lot better than any of the staves out there.

Yeah, I’ve found that some trident skins are quite a bit better than many staff skins.

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Late For Tea.1846

If only we could have that Norn Trident as a staff skin. Its simple yet gorgeous.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

Just look at that monsoon staff. It’s a stick, basically, with a blue top.

Greatsword favoritism

Late For Tea.1846

Just look at that monsoon staff. It’s a stick, basically, with a blue top.

But.. isn’t it the nicest blue top you’ve ever seen?

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

The bifrost looks like a plastic stick with some colors around it, we don’t have any unique awesome daggers, like volcanus, or infinite light, jormag’s tear is just a piece of glass that costs 70g…

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

The art team for Guild Wars 2 is incredibly focused on what they put most effort in. Everyone in GW2 is meant to be unique by wearing long coats and wielding greatswords. What’s your story?

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Maybe they thought that since many of the attack animations with GS are so poor, the legendaries had to look good to compensate.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Maybe they thought that since many of the attack animations with GS are so poor, the legendaries had to look good to compensate.

guardian and mesmer animations aren’t that bad, and mace/axe have worse animation than the GS, invalid arguement

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

guardian and mesmer animations aren’t that bad, and mace/axe have worse animation than the GS, invalid arguement

Spinning animations in GS. Sorry, argument reinstated.

Greatsword favoritism

infantrydiv.1620

The bifrost looks like a plastic stick with some colors around it, we don’t have any unique awesome daggers, like volcanus, or infinite light, jormag’s tear is just a piece of glass that costs 70g…

I agree. A lot of daggers are either too small, too wide, or look like something you could buy in a candy store.

Ranger//Necro

Greatsword favoritism

Fortus.6175

The art team for Guild Wars 2 is incredibly focused on what they put most effort in. Everyone in GW2 is meant to be unique by wearing long coats and wielding greatswords. What’s your story?

Whatr if I tell you that most people dont care about what others are wearing and want themselves to look good, just for themselves and not to be unique to the rest

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

Whatr if I tell you that most people dont care about what others are wearing and want themselves to look good, just for themselves and not to be unique to the rest

I agree. I don’t care whether my chars look similar to others or if they’re completely unique, as long as I like the looks. And I find very few weapon skins that I actually like (most Zenith are cool, and a few others), and not a single set of medium armor I like (I dislike trenchcoats/longcoats as a whole).

So yeah, if I want my character decked out in things I like to see, I’m running naked with a Greatsword. Whee.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

Really what we need is weapons to be dyeable and it’s been requested many times. It would make weapons look more unique to the owners. It would allow for better matching with armours.

I don’t know how much work would need to go into implemented this as a feature, perhaps you can unlock new weapon dyes or something? A bit like our armour dye panel.. Just a basic set at first to test the water and make sure it works ok, then implement other panels for more exotic dyes.

It would please a lot of players!

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I think it’s a limitation of the game engine. It’s probably easier to add detail and design larger weapons like GS and hammers than smaller ones like daggers. The staff is basically a long stick, and there’s really only so much variation you can do with it. The hammer, you’re designing the head, with the handle being the same. The GS is a wide and large weapon where you can customize nearly everything from the blade to the hilt.

What I’d like to see is more variations of the smaller weapons, like a flail for the mace or a katar for daggers, though I’m not sure if it would be any easier to implement.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I think it’s a limitation of the game engine. It’s probably easier to add detail and design larger weapons like GS and hammers than smaller ones like daggers. The staff is basically a long stick, and there’s really only so much variation you can do with it. The hammer, you’re designing the head, with the handle being the same. The GS is a wide and large weapon where you can customize nearly everything from the blade to the hilt.

What I’d like to see is more variations of the smaller weapons, like a flail for the mace or a katar for daggers, though I’m not sure if it would be any easier to implement.

Then again there’s thing’s like The Crossing, and even “kites” with little string dynamics, I think Anet is just being lazy.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Well, Greatsword is the biggest weapon in the game by a pretty decent factor.

Thus, greatswords have a much higher inherent visibility than any other weapon type. This automatically results in the players using more Greatsword than any other weapon. This is especially true if Greatsword happens to be among the best weapons for your profession, such as with Warriors.

And even from a designing point of view, if I was tasked with designing weapons and given the choice between an tiny off-hand weapon like Focus or Warhorn and a massive two-hander like Greatsword, I would sure pick the latter. Unless I had a desire to design for the former for some reason.

But honestly, we as players do not know how they choose the skins. We know very little about the designing process itself. Do the artists submit the skins and some get accepted while others don’t, like when submitting an article for a news paper? Or do they commission a certain quantity of skins for any given release? It’s clear that in some cases, they are doing entire sets with a specific theme.

I consider myself lucky beyond even the luckiest Mystic Forge addict for even finding skins in the game that I really like. And for the fact that those skins are useable on the profession that I like. And that there are some pretty skins for the weapons I prefer using.

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

They fav GS’s, have not flying &$#* ideas how a mace look, create ugly stakitten on purpose and create pistols smaller than a microbe.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

I have a lot of rare or expensive weapon skins on my main. I crafted them not because they’re expensive, but because they’re going well together.

I think the wrong premise here is that you take the weapons individually and don’t look at the greater picture. Just don’t focus on one weapon, go outside of LA and play with your weapons and try to weapons that make your animations look pleasant!

Everybody thinks that the Weapons of the Mist go only together (“hey pink, man, you don’t want that on each character”). Oh man, that is sooo boring visually; try to mix-and-match those skins for a bit.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Greatsword favoritism

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Well, Greatsword is the biggest weapon in the game by a pretty decent factor.

Yes, exactly. GS-es are biggest and coolest looking weapon in the game. Hammers are for some unfathomable reason usually smaller, and a decent hammer skin is much harder to come by. Why is that?
And at least hammers got Genesis and Entropy lately. Some of the other weapon types can’t even say anything like that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November