Grinding please please please

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

To the dude above me. You need to go back and play those games. I currently raid and play with friends in all of them, and in comparison to gw2 how it is now, vs last Oct the ‘grind’ you are talking about is 150% easier in wow etc, in fact its so easy that i geared up a brand new toon in full purple gear in heroic raiding in under one month and that was not playing more than twice a week. I haven’t been able to touch that here. So your comparison is bad since you obviously don’t play those games, you like to use as a comparison for what grind even means, and sit here and defend guild wars.
This game has way more of a grind than anyone wants to admit. You should just own up to it.

Yeah I read his long winded post. The Sixtheenth has some fairly significant miss conceptions about how math works and the current state in other games. In 2 months of casual play in WoW PvP. I can have All BiS for non rated players. If I get go for rating that season and get it the moment I get 2200 then I go get the rated weapon. It’s always entertaining to pick out the people that just babble about other games that really don’t have a clue about them.

I, too, usually find that it takes about 2 months in WoW for me to have a PvE and PvP set at the level I’m comfortable with. I don’t do heroic raids so gear out of LFR/normal raids and heroic dungeons is fine. And, for the most part, I’m fine with honor PvP gear just to have a set as I no longer do arenas.

And, I find that the short/steep power curve in WoW is actually easier than GW2’s long/low power curve. As mentioned, when a new tier drops in WoW I grind for a couple months and I’m done. The rest of the tier I can relax and play what I enjoy. With the long/slow grind of GW2 the grind is never over. That sword is always over your head—especially if you are an altoholic. One thing GW2 has taught me is that a short/steep power curve can actually be easier on you in terms of grindiness.

In WoW, if I took an extended break, the chances of me being able to do the current content was slim to none. Why? Because the current content needed Tier Z to play though, but I missed the Tier Y and Tier X raids, so I have to start at Tier X raid to get the content, but since it is old content it was very very difficult to find people go through months of raiding that so I can get my gear to go to the next raid that gave me Tier Y gear which took months of raiding, which is needed to be able to play the Tier Z raid, which took months of raiding so I can actually play through the next raid.

In WoW, if you didn’t keep up with raiding, and left for extended periods of time, you were literally locked out of the content. In Guild Wars 2, this is not the case, you leave the extended amount of time, don’t have ascended gear, you were not literally locked out of content.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

To the dude above me. You need to go back and play those games. I currently raid and play with friends in all of them, and in comparison to gw2 how it is now, vs last Oct the ‘grind’ you are talking about is 150% easier in wow etc, in fact its so easy that i geared up a brand new toon in full purple gear in heroic raiding in under one month and that was not playing more than twice a week. I haven’t been able to touch that here. So your comparison is bad since you obviously don’t play those games, you like to use as a comparison for what grind even means, and sit here and defend guild wars.
This game has way more of a grind than anyone wants to admit. You should just own up to it.

Yeah I read his long winded post. The Sixtheenth has some fairly significant miss conceptions about how math works and the current state in other games. In 2 months of casual play in WoW PvP. I can have All BiS for non rated players. If I get go for rating that season and get it the moment I get 2200 then I go get the rated weapon. It’s always entertaining to pick out the people that just babble about other games that really don’t have a clue about them.

I, too, usually find that it takes about 2 months in WoW for me to have a PvE and PvP set at the level I’m comfortable with. I don’t do heroic raids so gear out of LFR/normal raids and heroic dungeons is fine. And, for the most part, I’m fine with honor PvP gear just to have a set as I no longer do arenas.

And, I find that the short/steep power curve in WoW is actually easier than GW2’s long/low power curve. As mentioned, when a new tier drops in WoW I grind for a couple months and I’m done. The rest of the tier I can relax and play what I enjoy. With the long/slow grind of GW2 the grind is never over. That sword is always over your head—especially if you are an altoholic. One thing GW2 has taught me is that a short/steep power curve can actually be easier on you in terms of grindiness.

In WoW, if I took an extended break, the chances of me being able to do the current content was slim to none. Why? Because the current content needed Tier Z to play though, but I missed the Tier Y and Tier X raids, so I have to start at Tier X raid to get the content, but since it is old content it was very very difficult to find people go through months of raiding that so I can get my gear to go to the next raid that gave me Tier Y gear which took months of raiding, which is needed to be able to play the Tier Z raid, which took months of raiding so I can actually play through the next raid.

In WoW, if you didn’t keep up with raiding, and left for extended periods of time, you were literally locked out of the content. In Guild Wars 2, this is not the case, you leave the extended amount of time, don’t have ascended gear, you were not literally locked out of content.

If I recall correctly the last time I played WoW it took me about a week to speed up on gear so I could get into the latest raids/dungeons. And that was during the first year of Cataclysm. There was no LFR, only a dungeon finder. The looking for raid option was added later on so your argument is invalid.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

eisberg.2379

If I recall correctly the last time I played WoW it took me about a week to speed up on gear so I could get into the latest raids/dungeons. And that was during the first year of Cataclysm. There was no LFR, only a dungeon finder. The looking for raid option was added later on so your argument is invalid.

Are you saying that WoW raids bosses now guarantee you the exact drop you need aftering beating him one time, and for everyone in the raid? it is no longer a few pieces of random gear that someone in the raid may or may not need?

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

Aye, i did it last week while I was stuck in a hotel in San Francisco and away from my gaming pc (back in England)

Over 8 nights I dungeoned and raided my warrior from 85 to 90 and geared up pretty quick

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

Are you saying that WoW raids bosses now guarantee you the exact drop you need aftering beating him one time, and for everyone in the raid? it is no longer a few pieces of random gear that someone in the raid may or may not need?

What I’m trying to tell you is that the odds of getting what you want are far better than here in GW2. You even have loot tables and you know what you are after; eventually getting it at some point. I myself never missed the targets I was after. Ofc there is a grind in WoW as well; let’s say farming a reputation to buy a mounts, different items and whatnot. But after all you can see the light in the end of the tunnel. You set a goal and you know for certain you’ll achieve it. Maybe you have bad luck on loots idk.
And here what.. you mindlessly grind zerg events trying to get a precursor from a chest, griiind 982347934 materials to craft the latest items or buy stuff from npcs, farming gold to buy stuff, play the wall street with manipulative people, play the lottery with RNG chests, RNG drop rates and nothing is certain. I can go on and on and on…
Don’t let me start on DR. This method implemented in GW2 has to go! I love this game so much but uncertainty is killing me.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

This is the content left that gw2 has to offer.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Just to put my two cents in. I think that Ascended would have been an issue if they were in the game from the start, but it would have been handled by changing player behavior. Fewer alts, fewer builds, etc…

Also, I think that people generally don’t want things given to them for free but enjoy a certain amount of work to get something. You feel like you are accomplishing something. The trick is that the reward has to be proportional to the effort.

Exotics are pretty good in this respect (or were b4 karma nerf). You could get an exotic weapon for about 4g or through crafting or dungeon runs. Generally, it would take 2-5 days to get one. When you got one, you felt closer to your goal.

However, for me the grind for ascended gear is disproportionate to the reward I get. When I make one I feel hollow, not happy. I wonder why I spent all that time / money / energy creating one. This indicates that, for me, ascended gear is too grindy.

I don’t think it would have been anywhere near as much of an issue, if it had come with launch, and was available via more ways than just crafting.

Of course, if we continue to ask loud enough, we may yet get other ways of obtaining ascended. They have never said that crafting it would be the only way, only that it was how they were implementing it to begin with. However, I do not have a crystal ball. I am not clairvoyant by any means, so I honestly don’t know what will ‘definitively’ happen in the future. No one really can, not even Anet (cause you know what they say about the best laid plans…)

Maybe.. <tin foil hat> I think crafting serves the purpose of forcing people into different zones, if only to harvest the wood / ore / cloth. ANet has been trying for a year to get people into under populated zones. The combination of maguma killer + need for soft wood may move people out of metrica province and into other areas. If this has worked then I don’t see them opening up ascended to other means </tin foil hat>

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

While this is true, the problem with the short/steep power curve is that if you put down the game for any extent of time… the chances of you catching up to the current tier of content is pretty small. You simply don’t have the gear to complete the current level of content, and by the time you are, the bar has been raised (if not abandoned entirely by a new expansion).

You wouldn’t be able to step in a Tier 13 raid (or whatever the max level is), without at least getting a good helping from 12… which requires a heady amount from 11… and so on and so on.

And even IF Ascended is completely out of your reach, it’s not such a huge increase that even IF new content was scaled to it that it would be impossible to complete with a full set of Exotics (if not rares).

Not trying to say that EITHER method of vertical progression is inherently better; but that both have their problems. I personally would rather have the problem of never quite having “BiS” rather than having entire swaths of content beyond my reach.

Wrong. There are several catch up mechanics currently in WoW which will help get you geared for the current tier of content. And the current tier has four difficulty levels, so even if you can only get into the easiest level, you still get to experience the content.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Maybe.. <tin foil hat> I think crafting serves the purpose of forcing people into different zones, if only to harvest the wood / ore / cloth. ANet has been trying for a year to get people into under populated zones. The combination of maguma killer + need for soft wood may move people out of metrica province and into other areas. If this has worked then I don’t see them opening up ascended to other means </tin foil hat>

Maybe, but I distinctly recall people asking for:

1) things to make crafting more lucrative – which the time gated high level mats can be. Time gating also keeps the market from being too saturated with any given one, which keeps their price relatively stable, unlike what we see with normal materials

2) things to make crafting matter – this is probably the strongest reason we might not see ascended available via other means. however, after precursor crafting and such is released, they might open up the options. we’ll keep our fingers crossed.

3) additional uses for the lower level mats, which tells me people are gathering that stuff anyway, therefore out in those zones.

yes, anet wants to get out back out in the world, and they’ve started doing revamping to help that. they are also moving the LS all over the place, so I don’t necessarily agree with your assessment.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I guess you missed the part where this is 2013 and Blizz has had gear vendors you can buy with gold to run current content forever now.

Even before that you just do some dungeons for a couple weeks and you’re there… laziness doesn’t = locked out of content.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

eisberg.2379

I guess you missed the part where this is 2013 and Blizz has had gear vendors you can buy with gold to run current content forever now.

Even before that you just do some dungeons for a couple weeks and you’re there… laziness doesn’t = locked out of content.

Then they must have taken some queues from Anet by making sure people are not locked out of content because they didn’t have the right gear. But when I played WoW, the only way to get the gear for the next raid was to raid the previous raid, and it would take several months to the gear you needed, and that is if the gear dropped that you needed.

Posted by: generalraccoon.3857

generalraccoon.3857

In regards to grind and comparison of exotics then and ascendeds now… Personally, I didn’t mind exotics because firstly, there were so many ways to get them and secondly the requirements was not as horrifically tedious current ascended weapon crafting. For some stats, i could have multiple sources for them. Zerker stats for example, i can craft some with what few t6 blood i have, probably get another piece from Arah and a few more from CoF, and yet the ration of which source to get them is entirely up to me and what i enjoy. and failing even that, i could just do ANYTHING that gives money and buy some off the TP. I get them as I please and not funneled mandatorily into specific activities I dont want to.

Would ascended be as bad if it were available in all the same ways as exotics, just more expensive?

Would ascended have been viewed as poorly if the game had launched with it in place, including all its time gating and limitations?

The list of what ifs is a long one, I’ve only listed a couple. The fact still remains that exotics are VP. For those that don’t like dungeons, it was grindy to them. For those that never had the temples open, they had to go out of their way to find a place where they were. While you had no issue with the grind for exotics, others have no issues with the grind for ascended. VP existed before ascended, but the gripe was far less, people simply accepted it as part of the game.

Been busy, didnt know this would grow so fast :p

My personal take:

1. Would ascended be as bad if it were available in all the same ways as exotics, just more expensive? – It will be better, on my opinion. Bored of method 1? try method 2! I always liked that approach.

2. Would ascended have been viewed as poorly if the game had launched with it in place, including all its time gating and limitations? – I’d still say the requirements are annoying, but having seen that from my earlier days, id be more likely to shrug it off and begin acquisition of those annoying mats from the start. character level 20? well while we are here in a lvl 15-25 map might as well gather all those silly soft woods while we’re here! Hence when im a bad kitten lvl 80, i can spend less time doing this mundane task and do more kitten stuff. ALSO, having seen what a grind it is for BiS id limit myself from making alts and would therefore feel less annoyed

Please note my views are my own TY!

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Then they must have taken some queues from Anet by making sure people are not locked out of content because they didn’t have the right gear. But when I played WoW, the only way to get the gear for the next raid was to raid the previous raid, and it would take several months to the gear you needed, and that is if the gear dropped that you needed.

Of course they took queues from ANet. Since the vendors on WoW were added late 2011/mid 2012. And GW2 was out then, right?

Not every MMO took something from GW2. In fact, GW2 took things from other MMOs. It’s basically a cherry picked game where all the best things from other MMOs was taken and put into one and tried to improve on. How well that was done can be judged individually.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides