Gripe with "Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

So the “Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock” seems to give a chance for many of my most precious unlocks such as Mini Karka, Scythe Staff, Ghastly Grinning Shield and more. And overall I am ok with it since the chance to get them is relatively low (and expensive) unless you are a veteran with all the cheap stuff unlocked already.
But now my real gripe is that it does not contain a lot of the items I am still missing such as Decorative Molten Jetpack, Zephyr Rucksack Skin, Scarlet’s Rainbow, Scarlet’s Kiss, Monocle plus more I cannot think of right now. I think items like the invisible boots should also be added to it.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Scarlet skins and the Monacle are exotics. Exotics aren’t included in the wardrobe unlock. Same with the invisible boots.

The back items included in the unlock kit seem to be exclusively gem store skins.

Malediktus.3740

Mini Karka (and some other possible unlocks) prove you wrong. It is an exotic worth 3k gold

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

If the account/wardrobe progression was guaranteed, then I would feel better about acquiring keys. Isn’t it just more RNG to get it to come up?

Malediktus.3740

If the account/wardrobe progression was guaranteed, then I would feel better about acquiring keys. Isn’t it just more RNG to get it to come up?

If it would be guaranteed (either getting one each key or being allowed to pick) it would be way too good considering the value of the contents.

Posted by: Gop.8713

Gop.8713

The mini karka is a mini. Only gear is limited to rare or less . . .

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Mini Karka (and some other possible unlocks) prove you wrong. It is an exotic worth 3k gold

They did say exotic skins would be excluded. Minis are not skins so exotic minis are able to drop from the chests.

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

he has a good point, a really good point (topic creator)

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Yeah, as it is, keys still aren’t worth buying, because it’s RNG just to get the “guaranteed” RNG item. Is meh. Nothing for the special snowflakes to qq over.

Wait, does that mean my Dragon Bash backpack skins could be in there too? q.q

Waitwait, I’m secure enough to realize that’s a cool thing for someone else. Shine on, Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock. I hope I get you soon™.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Malediktus.3740

The following items should not be unlockable from it:

Royal Guard Outfit (Loyality reward for buying the game before HoT got released)
Mini First Mate Horrik (achievement reward)
Scarlet’s Veil Skin (achievement reward)
Mini Queen Jennah (1st birthday present)
Mini Candy Corn Ghoulemental (achievement reward)
Mini Clockheart (achievement reward)

Things that should be unlockable by it:
Decorative molten jetpack
Monocle
Zephyr Rucksack Skin
Scarlet’s Rainbow
Scarlet’s Kiss
Invisible Boots
post if you find more possible oversights

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

According to your own rules of achievements being worthy or not, you did not have the luck, dedication or persistence to get the scarlet items when they were available.
Or maybe you did not play GW2 by then(I know you did, you just had bad luck with RNG probably), but the answer stays the same:
Tough luck. ^^

Malediktus.3740

According to your own rules of achievements being worthy or not, you did not have the luck, dedication or persistence to get the scarlet items when they were available.
Or maybe you did not play GW2 by then(I know you did, you just had bad luck with RNG probably), but the answer stays the same:
Tough luck. ^^

The thing is all the stuff I listed is still available on the trading post. Anet just discriminated randomly between what gets in and what not and it feels like it is stacked against what I already have unlocked.
Instead of posting random nonsense comments maybe start thinking before posting in future.

Torolan.5816

So Anet should have looked specifically into your wardrobe to see what you have already unlocked?

Lol.

Malediktus.3740

So Anet should have looked specifically into your wardrobe to see what you have already unlocked?

Lol.

No, they should have spent more effort on choosing and not randomly skip things for no good reason. If you go on account with nothing unlocked you can see what a mess of choices it currently is.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The following items should not be unlockable from it:

Royal Guard Outfit (Loyality reward for buying the game before HoT got released)
Mini First Mate Horrik (achievement reward)
Scarlet’s Veil Skin (achievement reward)
Mini Queen Jennah (1st birthday present)
Mini Candy Corn Ghoulemental (achievement reward)
Mini Clockheart (achievement reward)

Things that should be unlockable by it:
Decorative molten jetpack
Monocle
Zephyr Rucksack Skin
Scarlet’s Rainbow
Scarlet’s Kiss
Invisible Boots
post if you find more possible oversights

A random wardrobe unlock item has been added to the chest. This will unlock a weapon, armor piece, backpack, outfit, dye, glider, miniature, or finisher at random, guaranteed to be something you do not yet have. This does not include rewards exotic or better but does include all Black Lion – style items prior to September.

So checking wiki for which were both rewards and exotic or better (from before you edited your post)

Royal Guard outfit: rare quality, so can be a guaranteed wardrobe unlock
Mini First Mate Horrik: rare quality
Scarlet’s veil skin: rare quality
Mini Queen Jennah: rare quality
Mini Clockheart: rare quality

Mini Candy Corn Ghoulemental: now this one is both an exotic and a reward and seems to be the only one on your first list that is an oversight.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Torolan.5816

You should know by now that Anet does not really value it´s veterans and design for actual gamers. Most actual players probably have never seen any of the skins and miniatures you listed so they probably selected a few items, threw them in and were good with it.

It is also a very good idea of Anet to make some of the old rarer items loose worth on the TP by including them in the BL chests. I think it takes two to buy a skin for hundreds or thousands of gold. But my compassion for the crowd that buys, sells and rebuys again like wall street banker has some severe limits.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Just because one does not like or understand their decision, it doesn’t mean that decision was made randomly.

~EW

Malediktus.3740

Their description is nonsense. First of a lot of rare or less skins are missing from the unlocker. And on the other hand there are exotic items in there such as Mini Karka.
Achievement or loyality rewards should never be in there. Especially if the achievement is not historical yet such as the Mini Clockheart one.
The item color is not even a good criteria, there are green items worth thousands of gold and exotic items worth 2g. It means nothing.

Note: I am not suggesting to remove the thousand+ gold items, they serve as a fair jackpot.

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

I got my hopes up when I saw these announced, but it looks like every skin I’m struggling with has been excluded. I just want some way to fight the RNGods.

CMM.6712

Just because one does not like or understand their decision, it doesn’t mean that decision was made randomly.

~EW

Nor does it mean it was a good one.

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

Honestly I just want a long time player who is insanely rich to get one of these and unlock as much of it as possible with gold/tp/achieves, and show me just how short that list can get.

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Malediktus.3740

Honestly I just want a long time player who is insanely rich to get one of these and unlock as much of it as possible with gold/tp/achieves, and show me just how short that list can get.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5arji0/guaranteed_wardrobe_unlock_disabled_once/
Enko already unlocked everything, but then again he spent a 5 figure amount of money on the game

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

~EW

Nor does it mean it was a good one.

You’re right. But that was neither the OP’s assertion, nor mine.

~EW

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Can’t you just buy the Mini Candy Corn Ghoulemental with Cobs? It’s not like it’s exclusive or anything.

Same with other rewards that were moved to the Laurel Vendor, or other Vendors.

All fair game, and not a bug, imo. The only ‘bug’ might be the unlocks for P4F that can’t be used. And that’s not really a bug, but more of an oversight, perhaps.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Their description is nonsense. First of a lot of rare or less skins are missing from the unlocker. And on the other hand there are exotic items in there such as Mini Karka.
Achievement or loyality rewards should never be in there. Especially if the achievement is not historical yet such as the Mini Clockheart one.
The item color is not even a good criteria, there are green items worth thousands of gold and exotic items worth 2g. It means nothing.

Note: I am not suggesting to remove the thousand+ gold items, they serve as a fair jackpot.

Whether or not you consider the description “nonsense” is not the point. The point is that they said that if it’s rare then it’s not exempt and 5 of the first 6 items you listed are rare quality and therefore not exempt. Price is not listed as a qualifying or disqualifying feature and the time restriction given is for Black Lion skins only so neither is a relevant argument. (From the post: but does include all Black Lion – style items prior to September.)

Now the other items you listed you may have a point so maybe you should concentrate on those type of possible oversights or have the thread about either having or disqualifying certain rewards (and why). However you can’t report as a bug or as an oversight the skins that are rightfully included according to the stated rules.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Malediktus.3740

Can’t you just buy the Mini Candy Corn Ghoulemental with Cobs? It’s not like it’s exclusive or anything.

Same with other rewards that were moved to the Laurel Vendor, or other Vendors.

All fair game, and not a bug, imo. The only ‘bug’ might be the unlocks for P4F that can’t be used. And that’s not really a bug, but more of an oversight, perhaps.

The ghoulelemental is from a cheap collection.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tricks_and_Treats

Inculpatus cedo.9234

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5arji0/guaranteed_wardrobe_unlock_disabled_once/
Enko already unlocked everything, but then again he spent a 5 figure amount of money on the game

Really? I must have missed that in the thread. What I did see was that he had lots of spreadsheets and much Gold to spend.

Still, maybe the Navy pays really well. /shrug

Malediktus.3740

He did not specify it in that thread, but it is common knowledge that Enko is a big spender

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

My gripe is it seems odd to have dyes included in the list. ;s

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

If we’re going to use the logic of “some expensive items are in the list so should the ones I want” then soon all the skins are in the guaranteed unlock.

But yeah, the early “rare” legacy items weren’t always exotic. Later on this was changed and thus you have a small difference in unlocks now.

If anything they should revert the unlocks of those rare items you said, and make them exotic for consistency. That would ‘ve been a better point to make than to argue to include the items you specifically want, that’s just pleading for your own case. Not that I’m surprised I suppose.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, my bad. Confused with the other Candy Corn Elemental. So, from a ‘cheap’ collection, then not exclusive. Regardless, players have long asked for ways to acquire past rewards, and now some can be obtained.

It’s only pixels in a game…let’s share the acquisition methods! =)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, I suppose I’m not privy to ‘common knowledge’ then.

Oh, well; thanks, then, to those that support the creators of a game I enjoy. =)

Posted by: flarezi.9381

flarezi.9381

Royal Guard Outfit is the best example of few items that should not be possible to get anymore.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i have to agree with malediktus here

The way Anet did this here seems really unfair or at least makes no sense

1) They offer Achievement related stuff like the things Malediktus listed which definitly seems wrong

2) Then again they dont offer some of the expensive skins like Rocket backpiece which was never related to any achievement so that is no reason to not include it
And the high price of it can’t be the reason either since they also include stuff like the Mini Karka
Anets behavior here in this case is just full of inconsistencies and that is what bothers me!
simple example:
Why do people who bought a Mini Karka and want a Rocket Backpack dont deserve the reward as a possible unlock while people who bought a Rocket Backpack and want the Mini Karka have a chance to get it ?!

side point:
(i also wonder if stuff like Canach Backpack is even intended to be obtainable by this method since it was never obtainable any other way even though it is added to the game since long time)

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

(edited by Orangensaft.7139)

CMM.6712

i have to agree with malediktus here

The way Anet did this here seems really unfair or at least makes no sense

1) They offer Achievement related stuff like the things Malediktus listed which definitly seems wrong

2) Then again they dont offer some of the expensive skins like Rocket backpiece which was never related to any achievement so that is no reason to not include it
And the high price of it can’t be the reason either since they also include stuff like the Mini Karka
Anets behavior here in this case is just full of inconsistencies and that is what bothers me!
simple example:
Why do people who bought a Mini Karka and want a Rocket Backpack dont deserve the reward as a possible unlock while people who bought a Rocket Backpack and want the Mini Karka have a chance to get it ?!

side point:
(i also wonder if stuff like Canach Backpack is even intended to be obtainable by this method since it was never obtainable any other way even though it is added to the game since long time)

100% Agree

Then, you add in the seasonal item taking up a slot, and the availability of the Royal Guard outfit as a drop. It’s a kick in the .. like I been saying.

Malediktus.3740

side point:

Too bad it is too late to remove those unreleased items now. Some people got it now and it would be unfair to patch it out now for the people who got unlucky getting it already. So I would vote against removing unreleased items from it.
Myself I got a Mini Mushroom Stomper. It was not ingame so far, it is not even in the API.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

It would be great for me if the T3 karma weapons and Guild Weapons (rares and exotics) weren’t included.

I want better odds on getting gemstore stuff!

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I agree on a few points, and disagree on others. The idea that exotic quality skins are excluded makes sense to me because regardless of cost, they want all players to go through (for example) the TP or the Mystic Forge to get things like Infinite Light. They clearly didn’t apply this logic to the minipets, though, but I’m generally OK with that because those items have limited supply and are otherwise no longer available.

That all said, I am in favor of items that are current achievement awards not being included in the list… The Clockheart shouldn’t be available, but I’m OK with Scarlet’s helmet being available. I also think the Molten Jetpack should be added and things like the Bazaar Catchers / Zephyr Rucksack / Desert Rose / etc.

It’s hard to put into words any real specific ruleset as to what I think belongs and what I think doesn’t belong. I imagine ANet struggled with this too.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are a couple of different issues raised in the thread:

• Should the skins include easy or cheap unlocks? (e.g. lots of the minis can be obtained for under a gold).
  • Should it include previously gated skins? (e.g. Mini Helmed Moa Racer which obtaining no-longer available “tokens”; Mini Clockheart which requires completing a skill-available achievement
  • Should it include all possible ‘rare’ skins, including things like the no-longer available Scarlet’s Kiss or Monocles.
  • Should it use ‘rare’ or ‘exotic’ quality as a cutoff, given that those designations are already arbitrary, have been changed more than a few times, and are often inconsistent in terms of drop rates (e.g. ascended mats drop more often from ToTs than rare mats).
  • Should the list be as consistent as humanly possible? Or should it be a curated list, i.e. one that doesn’t follow every rule 100%?

There two things that bug me from the list above:

• Why are there so many ‘cheap’ minis on the list? I’d prefer if there was a subdrop, for a guaranteed mini skin, so that the chance of a mini was proportionally very low.
  • Why are any achievement unlocks available on the list? The mini Clockheart stands out as something that ought to require skill, endurance, or at least a willingness to pay other people who have skill and/or endurance to carry you.

I’m okay with the current list otherwise, even though, like the OP, I wish it included things like Scarlet’s Kiss, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

As someone that worked a long while to gather the gold needed to buy the two very expensive Karka minis and never got lucky enough to get the molten bp to drop, I have to agree here. Fortunately, I never committed them to the wardrobe so I could actually get dupes essentially for free.

By the way, are minis unlocked this way tradable or account bound by default?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There are a couple of different issues raised in the thread:

• Should the skins include easy or cheap unlocks? (e.g. lots of the minis can be obtained for under a gold).
  • Should it include previously gated skins? (e.g. Mini Helmed Moa Racer which obtaining no-longer available “tokens”; Mini Clockheart which requires completing a skill-available achievement
  • Should it include all possible ‘rare’ skins, including things like the no-longer available Scarlet’s Kiss or Monocles.
  • Should it use ‘rare’ or ‘exotic’ quality as a cutoff, given that those designations are already arbitrary, have been changed more than a few times, and are often inconsistent in terms of drop rates (e.g. ascended mats drop more often from ToTs than rare mats).
  • Should the list be as consistent as humanly possible? Or should it be a curated list, i.e. one that doesn’t follow every rule 100%?

There two things that bug me from the list above:

• Why are there so many ‘cheap’ minis on the list? I’d prefer if there was a subdrop, for a guaranteed mini skin, so that the chance of a mini was proportionally very low.
  • Why are any achievement unlocks available on the list? The mini Clockheart stands out as something that ought to require skill, endurance, or at least a willingness to pay other people who have skill and/or endurance to carry you.

I’m okay with the current list otherwise, even though, like the OP, I wish it included things like Scarlet’s Kiss, too.

I don’t really have a stake in this, but….
If one could pay other players to carry one to obtain a Mini Clockheart, then why can’t one ‘pay’ (via keys) ArenaNet to obtain a Mini Clockheart. It seems about the same to me. /shrug

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If one could pay other players to carry one to obtain a Mini Clockheart, then why can’t one ‘pay’ (via keys) ArenaNet to obtain a Mini Clockheart. It seems about the same to me. /shrug

It feels different to me to participate (even if in a small way) in reaching the achievement via playing the game versus just getting it via RNG. For me, it defeats the value of having ‘unique’ rewards tied to achievements. With something like the Clockheart, most people are going to have done most of the achievements. They usually only ask (or pay) to leech for the one or two steps that give them conniptions.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe. Or maybe the ones most apt to pay are the ones that don’t care for dungeons, anyway. Who knows? For those, it’s probably just as ‘rewarding’ to hit the jackpot by acquiring keys.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I have a different observation about the guaranteed wardrobe unlock. It in no way is going to make me want to get keys. Since I have a preference for knowing what I’m buying, the idea of using a key to maybe get an unlock item, from which I’d maybe get something I want has zero appeal. Honestly, I think the unlock is primarily aimed at collection completionists. No matter what, you unlock something you don’t have.

As to the OP’s issue, while I don’t share it, I can understand it. If, as it seems, there must be RNG, at least have a more complete list of possibilities.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have a different observation about the guaranteed wardrobe unlock. It in no way is going to make me want to get keys. Since I have a preference for knowing what I’m buying, the idea of using a key to maybe get an unlock item, from which I’d maybe get something I want has zero appeal. Honestly, I think the unlock is primarily aimed at collection completionists. No matter what, you unlock something you don’t have.

As to the OP’s issue, while I don’t share it, I can understand it. If, as it seems, there must be RNG, at least have a more complete list of possibilities.

I’m the opposite. Having filled in just about every single thing I can easily fill in from playing, high end stuff is pretty much all I have left. I’d be more likely to buy keys knowing there’s a chance I fill in stuff I don’t have, because it mostly all costs more now than any amount I’d spend on keys.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s the layers of RNG that kill it for me.

1. I might get an item that unlocks something.
  2. That unlock might give me something that I want.

Change the first “might” into a “will,” and I’d probably buy keys just to see what unlocks.

I’ve got most of my “really want” stuff anyway, so any unlocks after that fall under the “oh neat” column of stuff. Enough surprise to spur some curiosity without the utter disappointment and emotional deadpan of “oh look, another tome and instant merchant, let me add them to the pile.”

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

As someone that worked a long while to gather the gold needed to buy the two very expensive Karka minis and never got lucky enough to get the molten bp to drop, I have to agree here. Fortunately, I never committed them to the wardrobe so I could actually get dupes essentially for free.

I can’t say for absolute certain, but since they’re specifically called wardrobe unlocks, I assume you don’t even get a physical item out of them. It just unlocks something in your wardrobe and you get the little “Skin Unlocked” prompt on the side of the screen. You can’t sell things from your wardrobe.

Posted by: decoy.9037

decoy.9037

I don’t think I’ll ever understand the mindset where people are deciding something should never be attainable again. Anything that limits/removes content of the game to people is bad as far as I’m concerned and I will never gripe when someone else gets something I already have. If this change is adding items that were previously unattainable before: keep up the good work, Anet! ^^

Malediktus.3740

I can’t say for absolute certain, but since they’re specifically called wardrobe unlocks, I assume you don’t even get a physical item out of them. It just unlocks something in your wardrobe and you get the little “Skin Unlocked” prompt on the side of the screen. You can’t sell things from your wardrobe.

Correctly, it goes automatically to your wardrobe.