Guess what A-net is doing the last month

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

This is one of the biggest breaks they ever tooked! And mid-season no less!
What do you think is happening behind the scenes, that requires such a long break?

1. They didn’t manage to have the rest of Season two complete in time for release (due to ether awesome content or crushing bugs), and they are playing catch up.
  2. Something tragic happened in the office, the “future-content-servers”, or one of their staff members, and they told us nothing about it.
  3. They are overhauling the whole game, with something as significant as a new engine, new graphics, new combat, new personal story or new payment methods.
  4. They are restructuring their teams. (again)
  5. They are about to announce an expansion pack.
  6. They ether forgot to have something ready for this year’s Halloween event and they took time off put something together in the last hour, or they want to make it good enough to reach the news papers.
  7. They simply needed a gap month for vacation.
  8. Other…

Choose your answer.
…and don’t be toxic.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

In my opinion they are working for a mega end of the Living Story and working on the new one too.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

How about “The China release is stretching their staff thin?”

I prefer considering things based in fact over speculation with a “but don’t be toxic” tag.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

I prefer considering things based in fact over speculation with a “but don’t be toxic” tag.

Oh! I’m thinking of putting that on every thread in this forum from now on regardless of the content. Some times gamers forget how to be be polite.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

1. Hopefully they saw what happened with the open world parts and how much of a monumentally bad idea that was and are fixing what they had to stay instanced based.

2. I doubt something happened that tragically, but they don’t have to tell us.

3. We could all wish especially if they could separate the graphics from the CPU so our GPUs could handle the graphics and our FPS would go up.

4. Very possible, I know a lot of the devs on my friend list are no longer working for ANet and are mere mortals like us.

5. I know I would love this because I’m tired of having LS spoon fed to me like I’m a child. I’m sure most players have the LS chapters done in in a few hours on at least one character.

6. Maybe, maybe not. I would chalk up any breaks during Oct. and Dec. as making room for Mad King Thorn and Winter’s Day.

7. Really? That is a lot of breaks in the year with how many breaks they take.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

track records seem to show that anet works on things “at the last possible second”.

the April and September Feature patches both required long breaks from LS development for the teams to poop out little bits of stuff for us (mind you Septembers patch was finished before April for China.) to eat.

LS seems to have consumed Anet and its teams to a point that it literally hurts all other aspects of the game.

It has done this since season 1 and the 2 week plague began

Scarlet Briars true legacy is the slow necrotic creep of death to untouched PvE/sPvP/WvW and all the bugs and half finished systems/mechanics.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Haven’t a clue or a guess truthfully. It’s puzzling.

I remember them saying something to the effect that they learned S1 was too disjointed with holidays coming in between episodes but that doesn’t explain the long pause between the last story and the next one on Nov 4th. Especially when they made a point of saying there was a 2 week turnaround.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

JOSH IS DESIGNING A LOT OF STUFF FOR SAB, OH MY GOSH CAN’T WAIT! <3 you Josh!

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

I would say:

1. They allowed for no distractions for the playerbase to allow for WvW tournament (four weeks)
2. They also watched the results for the new players coming in under the Free Trial time period (9/25-10/5)
3. Evaluated the results from the Free Trial to see how players responded to the NPE.
4. Planning for improvements/changes to NPE based on results.
5. Someone is supposed to be working on fixing issues with the Personal Story.

As far as what else, pfft, nothing but pure conjecture.

Posted by: Swag.5364

Swag.5364

JOSH IS DESIGNING A LOT OF STUFF FOR SAB, OH MY GOSH CAN’T WAIT! <3 you Josh!

You wish.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

My bet is that they are having meetings talking about Guild Wars 3.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Well the good news is that ANet said they are communicating better with us. That’s means they will be on this thread to explain this long pause before I can count to 3.

(Hmmm. Not here yet. Maybe I should do another countdown)

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Well the good news is that ANet said they are communicating better with us. That’s means they will be on this thread to explain this long pause before I can count to 3.

You meant 3 decades I assume?

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

tl;dr – the enumerated list above shows ANet’s thoughts on the topic.
:)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

You meant 3 decades I assume?

They may be waiting for someone to get the Yakslapper achievement title…

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Are you guys serious?

It takes longer than two weeks to develop the patches that come out every two weeks. The team began working on the LW patches in March/April, iirc. They started releasing in July. They probably wrapped up those patches a couple weeks before the last release in August.

That means they built four patches in the months of March, April, May, June, and July. 4-5 months for 4 patches.

So how long for the last 4 patches? 4-5 months. July, August, September, October, and November.

This is a very simple concept, you just need to understand there are multiple teams working on long workstreams. No release DOES NOT EQUAL no work being done. Biweekly releases DOES NOT MEAN those releases only took two weeks.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

maybe they are going to release a large map with the next update instead of pieces of one. They could also be working on the next scavenger hunt item (or legendary Mawdrey)

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

#4’s kind of a cheat. As I understand it, they have a few small teams and a lot of “floaters” at ANet. When a team needs outside skills, they turn to the pool of floaters and grab ones that can do what needs done and add them to the project for a while.

The problem is that they all wind up needing the same people.

As for what they’ve been doing? I think it involves boxes of tissues, and hand lotion. The sanitizing kind, with alcohol. When you have people bouncing from team meeting to team meeting in small rooms, then dealing with the stress of a ton of work with conflicting deadlines being dumped on them, you’re going to pass around a bunch of germs and viruses. It’s the body’s natural defense to force you to take time off before you go on a crazed shooting spree.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Since this is all speculation there is no basis for a constructive discussion here, therefore this thread is now closed.