Guesting / Overflows & Desolation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

I have been checking past few weeks to see if any other EU servers are bothering to do world boss events or just all jumping / guesting over to desolation to do them and it seems the majority are all jumping over to desolation just to do world boss events.

What does this mean? Well it means actual players on the desolation server are being given a backseat in overflows with sometimes priority going to guesters instead of actual deso server players.

Lately it’s getting more and more common to be stuck on overflows on most of the world boss events including teq, shatter, jormag, golem mk 2 and even the lower level one’s and the temples….

It’s getting kind of silly, when is Anet going to address this issue that causes content to be completely unplayable to players WHO ACTUALLY ARE ON THIS SERVER because of the silly guesting and overflow systems not giving priority to the players who actually live on that server…

It’s been an issue for a long time now since launch but it’s becoming increasingly annoying and blocking a lot of people from playing the actual game content. Even joining someones party to play with friends does not work.

TLDR: Guesting forcing players on desolation into overflows blocking them from doing content on their own server because it gives priority to guesters or whoever gets in first instead of giving it to players who actually live on the server…

It also means other servers dont work together to do these events, they all just jump to desolation so they can afk spam 1 to do them.

(edited by TRON.1085)

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

psa: players guesting do not have priority in joining a zone, everyone has the same chance to get in.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Home server players are prioritized over guests already. Your server is just full, it’s generating it’s own overflows.

TRON.1085

psa: players guesting do not have priority in joining a zone, everyone has the same chance to get in.

Your stating the obvious and already known. Well done.

TRON.1085

Home server players are prioritized over guests already. Your server is just full, it’s generating it’s own overflows.

No they are not…its whoever gets in first.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

…didn’t we just have a thread about this ?

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

…didn’t we just have a thread about this ?

Yep, but Desolation thinks it’s only a full pop server because foreigners are taking their jobs.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Sad but true, I even heard about people selling places on main server party for Teq during weekends, holidays in prime time for real momey. No wonder, over 1 hour average queue and up to 2h on holidays, who has time to do that

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Panda Shepard.1248

Sad but true, I even heard about people selling places on main server party for Teq during weekends, holidays in prime time for real momey. No wonder, over 1 hour average queue and up to 2h on holidays, who has time to do that

I actually heard that in reality, there are no real players on Desolation. There’s just 3 guys selling spots from different accounts.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I actually heard that in reality, there are no real players on Desolation. There’s just 3 guys selling spots from different accounts.

Actually I heard that it’s just 3 guys running over 60 accounts on MultiWars, running in synchronized botting fashion!

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

I’m not really too bothered tbh, but trying to grab Teq can be annoying, as often even if you get there an hour or more early you still get shunted to overflow.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Your stating the obvious and already known. Well done.

If it’s obvious and well known, why did you state the opposite in your own OP?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

I love this forum’s moderation ^^

Related to topic, please stop writing same irrelevant, not even a solution sentence “Take your spot x hours before.” There is something broken in here and you are just dodging the real problem.

As i said in my previous, deleted 2 topics:

“Guesting should be available to low/medium populated servers. Maybe also to high. Don’t let guesting to very high populated servers; because they have already enough people to fill a map.”

(edited by Phoenixlin.8624)

TRON.1085

It’s something that I would not expect to have such poor game design in a AAA MMO…

I really hope they deal with these issues especially with the game being over a year old now.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

One reason to guest is to play with friends. Another is to check out a server before spending cash to move to it. It seems rude to say “we’re so great everyone wants to be here, that means they don’t get to play with us unless they spend money.”

TRON.1085

So yeah made this topic before even knew about the update, now I see these issues are even worse with the new content…

Posted by: Goorman.7916

Goorman.7916

I think that the problem lies in the fact, that players do not have any control over what overflow they go to. The solution might be the list of existing copies of the map, for example
Bloodtide Coast 1 – 240/250
Bloodtide Coast 2 – 150/250
Bloodtide Coast 3 – 50/250
Bloodtide Coast 4 – 50/250
And then the player chooses for himself, what copy does he want to go to.
Then the notion of overflow server is removed(every server is in a sense overflow), and the problem exists no more.

Ash Goorman, 80 level ranger
Lavern Goorman, 80 level thief
Spvp rank 41

Posted by: DownPour.5903

DownPour.5903

I swear I got into main server once on Deso, and I’ve been here since the start

Desolation

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

If fights scaled down to numbers that were reasonable on all servers, people from lower population servers wouldnt need to guest to higher population servers. With fights requiring 80-100 players, it makes sense that people want to be where the larger numbers are.

Bottom line, everyone playing the game is entitled to the same gaming experience. If ArenaNet scales fights based on the population of servers like Desolation (or Blackgate in NA) and doesn’t consider how it will look on lower population servers, then it is no surprise that people will be guesting to those larger servers (and have every right to do so).

Posted by: eraser.8031

eraser.8031

Speaking as a player from Desolation it is annoying that you always get the overflow on your home world on events like Teq, the new worm and the marinate constantly. I agree that everyone has the right to experience the same level of game play as they may be on a low pop server.

But it should be pay to move server if they are not happy like I did from Blacktide or world players given priority.

Fenrir.3609

It is getting to be an issue now on Deso. Having to get there well over an hour beforehand and still be shunted to overflow is taking the p%$^.

Either up the amount of people able to do the events (and up the server/tech capability to allow for that), or limit/stop people from guesting on high pop servers.

Posted by: Manuhell.2759

Manuhell.2759

Or just make them scale low enough to be feasible without having an army stationed there…that is the reason why people guest in Desolation.
If you need a lot of people to do a content, you will go where you know there will be a lot of people. Not in deserted maps…like the ones they have in their own servers.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

If fights scaled down to numbers that were reasonable on all servers, people from lower population servers wouldnt need to guest to higher population servers. With fights requiring 80-100 players, it makes sense that people want to be where the larger numbers are.

Bottom line, everyone playing the game is entitled to the same gaming experience. If ArenaNet scales fights based on the population of servers like Desolation (or Blackgate in NA) and doesn’t consider how it will look on lower population servers, then it is no surprise that people will be guesting to those larger servers (and have every right to do so).

It’s a bit ridiculous that it isn’t scaled.

They could have a minimum scale(so that it doens’t scale to one person, if they want to push it as a group event) .. Maybe scale down to it just needing 10 or 20 people.

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

This is such a selfish view to take. You lucked out and ended up on a high population server. I guarantee the vast majority of players on Desolation didn’t plan it that way, it just happened. If you think waiting is so tough, why don’t YOU guest to a low pop server? Oh wait, because low pop servers are already disadvantaged.

TRON.1085

This is such a selfish view to take. You lucked out and ended up on a high population server. I guarantee the vast majority of players on Desolation didn’t plan it that way, it just happened. If you think waiting is so tough, why don’t YOU guest to a low pop server? Oh wait, because low pop servers are already disadvantaged.

It’s not selfish at all. Also it is not just on desolation, black gate and other servers have the same problem. Being blocked from doing content on your own server is a complete and utter joke.

What is selfish is how other servers can’t be bothered to work together on their own server to complete the content and instead decide to server hop and exploit the guesting system to leech off other servers that try to work together but can’t because they are stuck in overflows on their home servers 24/7 being blocked from doing any of the content.

As usual Anet did not think this through, less open world content and more instanced content please and fix the overflow and guesting so they can’t be mass abused like this.

This was not the intended use of the guesting system.

(edited by TRON.1085)

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

As a player from deslation i can confirm this. As i posted in another thread it’s getting really annoying to be blocked from doing most WB’s in prime time if you don’t zone in long before event starts.

Please limit guesting to heavily populated servers.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Desolation? Lol, try getting onto Baruch’s or Visunah ( servers with bigger pop and more guesters than any other server in EU )…

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Phoenixlin.8624

Desolation has the biggest pve population in EU more or less.

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

Deso is mega busy at boss events think the only one you never get overflowed on is mega destroyer and ulgoth.
Guildie waited 6 hours in overflow on Lornars Pass and still didnt get into deso main.
I’m going to queue there at weekend until i get in and i suspect many are doing the same.

Deso does do all world bosses and temples and are successful at it and that is a big attraction to guest here

Posted by: Bigoak.3270

Bigoak.3270

To be honest, I needed to guest on Desolation just to finish the Teq meta, because my home server doesn’t do it. I’ll probably have to do the same with the new wurm too. :-(

Phoenixlin.8624

We don’t feel any kind of sympathy for you and other guests, still.

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Desolation has the biggest pve population in EU more or less.

Baruch’s was the first EU server to reach the “very high” population. There’s no other data whatsoever that would state that this has been changed now in favour of Deso, tbh. But if you find it, let me know!

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Phoenixlin.8624

I don’t care which server was the first reach a certain point. I am saying that Desolation has the biggest PvE population now.

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

It’s not selfish at all. Also it is not just on desolation, black gate and other servers have the same problem. Being blocked from doing content on your own server is a complete and utter joke.

What is selfish is how other servers can’t be bothered to work together on their own server to complete the content and instead decide to server hop and exploit the guesting system to leech off other servers that try to work together but can’t because they are stuck in overflows on their home servers 24/7 being blocked from doing any of the content.

As usual Anet did not think this through, less open world content and more instanced content please and fix the overflow and guesting so they can’t be mass abused like this.

Your server doesn’t “try to work together” any more so than any other server. The difference is that your server just has more people. If you think otherwise, I’d like to see you try to organize a tequatl run every day for a week on a low population server, and see if you can get it to happen even once. There’s just not enough people on those servers to do it.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Someone wants to play on a very highly populated server, then complains about the issues that brings along with it.

To be honest, guesting alleviates a lot of the issues associated with the lower populated servers and allows every player to enjoy the game and it’s content. Players on higher populated servers can still enjoy and play the content.

Guesting is solving more problems than it is creating.

And players are really underestimating their own server population’s ability to create overflows. It is very easy to do.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I just don’t understand this. I don’t understand what makes someone so entitled that just because they are apart of some specific server that means they don’t have to wait as long as everyone else does. That they should just be able to map in, right toward the start of the fight, and kick someone out that they don’t think deserves to play the event that they waited patiently for.

Everyone is saying stuff like “low pop servers should be doing it themselves” and blah blah blah. You do realize that the people guesting on your server are from 10+ other servers, and probably, on that map, equal no more than 20-40 (at most) bodies? Let’s do math and say that 2-4 people can go back to their own server and try to beat boss x on their own. That seems fair, right?

Come on. That’s just …. Ugh.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Phoenixlin.8624

Guesting to highly populated servers is a problem.
Low populated servers without a guesting function is a problem. So read below carefully:

“Guesting should be available to low/medium populated servers in another. Maybe also to high. Don’t let guesting to very high populated servers; because they have already enough people to fill a map.”

So, you can find a lot of people that wanna do xyz bosses in another low/medium populated server. Highly populated servers can create overflows with their OWN population. And the problem is solved.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Funny…I am on a Tier 9 server..or whatever the lowest Tier is, and I am in overflows every single time. I don’t think overflows are just a ‘high-population’ problem when it comes to popular content.

But, if so…then why not get there early before all those that did do just that? Someone obviously thought it was important enough to do so….

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Overflows happen especially on weekends at Jormag Claw and Shadow Behemoth also on other Servers where a champ train is running.

Else for things like Tequatl, its maybe also the fault of players from Desolation that constantly brag that these encounters are totally fine and Desolation does them all the time, and players from lower pop servers just should go to higher pop servers.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

On Gunnar’s Hold, we have world tours with often overflow happening. We thought that other servers were coming over, but after careful examination of all people present at the event, we dared to say 5 to 10 people were guesting to us and we had 20-30 GH people in overflow. You probably have the same on Desolation, but more important given your high pve reputation.

People are guesting yes, but a server can send itself to overflow as well.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Overflow is not a problem. If there are enough people in the overflow, then any event performed just as well as on the main map.

But you just want to get to the main main main main map

For “normal” Worldevents like Claw or Behemoth it is a problem, since they are not on the same timer on overflows.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

TRON.1085

Your server doesn’t “try to work together” any more so than any other server. The difference is that your server just has more people. If you think otherwise, I’d like to see you try to organize a tequatl run every day for a week on a low population server, and see if you can get it to happen even once. There’s just not enough people on those servers to do it.

We use a server community teamspeak, we use multiple commanders and organize pretty well between guilds and non guild members of the server through voice communication and forums plus in game chat.

People can pretend all they like this is not an issue but it is.

Why don’t lower population and medium population servers transfer then instead of abusing the guesting system everytime for a world event? Why don’t they organize there own community teamspeak and advertise it? Why don’t they get organized and work together to do the events weekly or daily at a specific time?

They don’t do it but it takes effort, time and why would they bother like WE DO, when they can just jump through guesting to a server that has everything done for them?

The whole overflow / guesting system is flawed and does not encourage the servers need to learn how to organize and work together, it just encourages them to jump to more active and organized servers and just tag events to get rewards quickly and easily without transferring or participating with the growth of the server or the community.

(edited by TRON.1085)

Fenrir.3609

Funny…I am on a Tier 9 server..or whatever the lowest Tier is, and I am in overflows every single time. I don’t think overflows are just a ‘high-population’ problem when it comes to popular content.

But, if so…then why not get there early before all those that did do just that? Someone obviously thought it was important enough to do so….

Get there early? On Deso I can get there over an hour before the Teq event and still be dumped onto OF.

Suggesting to people to turn up 2 hours before an event is indicative of the fact that something is wrong, something which the devs need to address.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Honestly, I’d just merge less populated servers.
Or finally create underflows

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Panda Shepard.1248

Honestly, I’d just merge less populated servers.
Or finally create underflows

I agree.
Personally though, I’d rather they get rid of servers for these areas all together. PvE doesn’t need the servers. Servers are just a hindrance. They can just have channels and you can choose which one to join.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If a majority of the people are guesting, then the home server is the equivalent of an overflow. The only problem with overflows is the attitude of people in them. Some people see an overflow and immediately expect it to fail, so they don’t bother. Additionally, people who show up hours in advance to avoid an overflow are more than likely going to try harder since they wouldn’t want to be wasting all that time.

If regular, always done, world events are always in overflow, it’s not because of guesting. People guesting are probably going to choose a server that isn’t always in an overflow because they wouldn’t want to risk showing up to nothing. If the server has a low risk of an overflow, it’s much easier to abuse the system and collect rewards for doing nothing.

Posted by: SirBigmark.7981

SirBigmark.7981

so I started playin gw2 again since one week now and I’ve tried a lot of the new world events.
I moved my account to Underworld like one years ago because my previous server was empty and I don’t want to bother with guesting every time. So i paid like 20e.
Now Underworld is empty in any world event. I searched, and seems that since Desolation performs well in WvW may people moved there. Then many other started to guest there.
So now Desolation is always full and an undefined numer of overflow spams in every event zone (since even one hour prior) while many other Server with high pop are empty.
have devs realized that this is an issue? Or i should just accept the guesting->welcome to overflow pattern as a good gaming experience?