Guesting and Overflow [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

Make it account wide 1 chest event per day problem solved. And yes there is a loophole to getting multiple chest per character per day its been reported but still has not yet been hotfixed.

That would only cause even bigger problems. Like making alts useless with that. Need a much better solution than ruining alts.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Make it account wide 1 chest event per day problem solved. And yes there is a loophole to getting multiple chest per character per day its been reported but still has not yet been hotfixed.

“Screw over people with alts because I am too lazy and didn’t level my own alt”

How is this even considered an option for people? What a lazy, self centered, egotistical society we live in.

This is not even an option to be considered. People with multiple characters need multiple sets of gear which means they need to be able to get rewards with those multiple characters. Killing off alts would be a death blow to this game because it is what keeps starter areas alive for new players.

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

If I understand correctly, this actually isn’t an issue at all. Three events allowed you to guest for a second chest after patch, but it was fixed, and now it’s one chest per day per event per character regardless of server.

Right? Can somebody help me out?

(edited by Hawkian.6580)

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Wait for the newness to wear off…also, guesting is not an exploit – you can’t get multiple chests a day from the same event on the same character.

I find it amusing that some people were farming dragons all last month by guesting, yet only now the people who didn’t touch events complain because the loot is actually worth the time and “guests are screwing up their server.”

Posted by: Sitael.4680

Sitael.4680

The problem is large numbers of people at events causing lag. That’s the problem that needs to be addressed. It doesn’t matter if they are from your own server or guesting, the lag will occur.

Not only.
Is is somehow “remakable” it you see french or spanish guild-names on a german server at world-boss events but nowhere else. english names are more difficult to say, but even so, i know from some guilds that they are not domiciled on my server.
It is a problem if you have 100 players from your own server at an event, but it is a bigger problem if you have 50 more players from other servers too.

One possible solution: you can loot world-boss chest only on your own server. this would not prevent you from guesting and playing with firends (where i think, if you play with friends on other server, you do not do this only for a chest). but it would prevent the current kind of event-tourism.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

As for ruining Alts, how many chests can you get per day? Someone not constantly farming all event will have to cope with the chest they are getting as well and will have the same problem. Please don’t tell me that you can’t gear up your alts anymore because you don’t get multiple chests from every event.

On the contrary people playing on lower populated servers might not get get any chest anymore because the events are simply not done anymore, so more people will leave and in the end we will have some overly crowded servers and some dead ones.

Reaver.9256

“As for ruining Alts, how many chests can you get per day? Someone not constantly farming all event will have to cope with the chest they are getting as well and will have the same problem. Please don’t tell me that you can’t gear up your alts anymore because you don’t get multiple chests from every event.”

The problem wouldn’t be gearing them up. I’d have no reason to gear them up if they were useless. I don’t do dungeons or wvw on a regular basis so I’d have 7 alts sitting around totally useless. Might as well erase them and give me extra bank slots if that would ever go through.

Pirlipat.2479

That update happended some days ago but suddenly your alts are useless because you would not get the chest with the guarantied yellows more than once? Afaik you get normal droploot still. As well you could change in between and do more different events.

Reaver.9256

That update happended some days ago but suddenly your alts are useless because you would not get the chest with the guarantied yellows more than once? Afaik you get normal droploot still. As well you could change in between and do more different events.

Yeah if they’re not getting the event loot they would be useless.

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

i think a guest should have to be invited. Otherwise they aren’t really guests, they’re crashers.

Posted by: lensor.9684

lensor.9684

Keeping it per character would benefit all of us players. Some might not have alts now, but when you do get alts later down the line, you will be able to switch whenever you would like to get as many chests as u can manage to get more rares/exotics/chances at a pre-curser. Keeping it per character works for the player as it provides more bodies to get an event moving & completed, primarely the temple events. If majority of players complete an event, the minority will be left with trying to find ANYONE to come help complete said event (convincing others who already did their part for chest prolly wont feel any reward out of helping, sadly), making it much more of a hassle for the minority.

The issue like all have said is guesting itself. It definatly needs to be finely tuned on how it works. Possible ways of takeing care of it:

1 – Cap out servers to not allow guesting. If its already full, its ineligible for guesting on. (Only way to get on server would be friend invite)
2 – Players that have made “Home” to that server, have priority over guesters. Guesters will be put into overflow before a “Home” player is put into it.

I think making it account bound does not benifit us at all, and is a step in the wrong direction. Tweaking the guesting system is a benefit for all types of players, casual or not, and im casual.
(When selecting a server to guest, a lower population should always be favored anyways to avoid ability lag)

Keeping it per character provides too many bodies to get the event going and completed. If that was not the case, there would have been no complaints about overflows, lag etc. to begin with. Changing the guesting rules will however do very little to change this on higher population servers, the servers themselves have more than enough people to throw a boss event into overflow.

Nerfing guesting would just hurt people with limited play times, the people who do not have many hours to wait for even one boss to spawn, let alone all of them. Nerfing guesting while at the same time keeping the per-character loot-boosted chests, really is the worst possible solution for anyone remotely “casual” – giving huge rewards to those able to show up with different alts throughout the day while shutting out people with limited play times altogether.

And for those saying that the chests need to be per char due to having to gear up all the alts (and/or having alts suddenly becoming “useless” if they cannot each hit every chest every day), I respectfully disagree. There is a reason for the term “twink” as an extra challenge, and that is that a first character is always more work to gear. The second, third, etc, enjoy the spoils from the first character’s leveling making the whole process much easier. Simply put, no one “needs” to hit these chests on every single alt every day for gearing purposes. It is purely a money making farm that gets more effective the more alts you have.

Bark N Mad [Dii] ~ The Order of Dii Guild Officer ~ Jade Quarry

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

The forums have been hit lately with a lot of requests to remove guesting as a feature. Many of these requests have stemmed from the overpopulation of server events due to the recent limitation put in place by the latest patch—that you may only loot a world event once per day per character. The bottom line: use of Guesting to enable looting of a world event more than once per day is an exploit.

People are using this exploit in blatant disregard for the servers they are guesting onto and for those who do not use this exploit to triple their ability to loot. This exploit has the potential to crash servers, not just the economy. After the Jormag event on my home server, chat was taking several minutes to post messages I was sending. It’s hurting the community as well.

After a recent Teq kill, I asked a member of the fight to stop guesting and lagging our server, their response was, “you think it only happens to your server. every server is experiencing this issue, and it’s not my problem..thanks though.” Though I didn’t appreciate the fact that s/he was unconcerned with the well-being of the server s/he was exploiting, their message is clear. Every server is experiencing this, and those who are exploiting servers to further their own gain, do not feel that they are at fault for it.

We need to send a clear message to these people, it is not okay to do this. It needs to be prevented somehow, and those who are aggressively and unmercifully exploiting the guesting mechanic need to be punished for it.

If guesting was exploitable, then prior to chest being only once a day, it would have been exploited much worse.

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

FWIW: I’m on TC and I love all the guests. Please don’t let other TC residence convince you that you’re not welcome on our server. I believe that Fractals caused the overflow issue in LA and I believe that the new loot system has caused the overflows at events. I don’t believe that guesting is a problem.

i think a guest should have to be invited. Otherwise they aren’t really guests, they’re crashers.

I’ve seen this suggestion thrown out there several times by several posters now and I have to ask…How exactly would this stop anything? Isn’t it rather easy to add people to your friends list to circumvent this restriction? What about cross-server guilds?

I know that I could be added to a lot of friends list on a lot of different servers just by asking in guild chat.

This sentence is false.

(edited by BioFringe.7945)

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

/yawn

This whole thread is a waste of time. Guesting is new. Doing world-events is new because before they weren’t worth the time or energy to bother with. In a month the problem will resolve itself because the shine of doing these events will wear off.

The problem isn’t guesting. There probably aren’t even that many people at these events who are guesting. The problem is some servers are over populated and where before these events were useless, now they’re big news and everyone is making every effort they can to take part in them.

Add to this the overlapping guild events in some of these zones and even more people are showing up.

The chests are working great now. Guesting is fine. It’s a new patch with ‘new’ content. In a month there won’t be a problem.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

These events have their own problems. In my opinion, the population caps on these maps need to be lowered because it’s pretty clear none of the servers seem capable of providing a quality experience when so many players are merging on a single event. I’d rather have a cool 10 – 20 man fight with an outdoor boss than the chaotic mess plaguing the game now.

I’m not suggesting a map only allow 20 players on it, but they need to add a larger window to these spawn timers to discourage camping and shut down nearby waypoints to these events whenever they begin, which will eliminate people quick-traveling in. That will cut down on the numbers participating in the battles a bit.

As far as guesting, I feel a few things need to happen here:

• 1) There should be separate overflow queues, one for players native to the server and one for guests. And the native player’s queue to enter a map should always have priority over the guest’s queue. Only when there are no native players waiting to enter their home server’s map should the queue for guests advance.
  • 2) There should be a limit placed on how many guests can occupy a particular map at any given time, with the majority of the overall occupancy slots being reserved for native players. To allow a situation where most of the occupancy slots on a map can potentially be used by players who are not even native to that server is ridiculous.
  • 3) Players should not be allowed to guest to a particular server unless they’re currently grouped with a player who is actually a native of the server in question. The intention of the guest feature is to allow friends on different servers to play together. It was not meant to be a tool to help players farm more easily. If you’re not on the server as a guest of a friend, you don’t need to be there. This also ensures that any one native can not invite more than 4 other “guests” to his home server.

Sure, that could be inconvenient, but the person who shouldn’t be inconvenienced is me when all I want to do is something as basic and understandable as playing on my home server. As a resident I should never lose a spot to a guest.

Maybe that’s harsh, but people are abusing the guesting feature. The intention was to join up with friends on different servers, not hop to other servers to take advantage of event timers, etc.

Pirlipat.2479

The word native is a bit misleading, because everyone choose a server in the beginning or changed to one. I stayed on a low populated server because it felt wrong to change to a higher populated one only for my own advantage. All players complaining about the “strangers” should be aware that for me this issue can be easily solved simply by moving to a more populated one. Then I’m a “native” and noone could shove me out so easily.

And this will happen if you start to exclude others. Not everyone guesting to another server is just farming one event after another. Noone of you can claim that you own your server.

Edge.4180

The word native is a bit misleading, because everyone choose a server in the beginning or changed to one. I stayed on a low populated server because it felt wrong to change to a higher populated one for my own advantage. All players complaining about the “strangers” should be aware that for me this issue can be easily solved simply by moving to a more populated one. Then I’m a “native” and noone could shove me out so easily.

And this will happen if you start to exclude others. Not everyone guesting to another server is just farming one event after another. Noone of you can claim that you own your server.

I don’t think that’s an accurate prediction. Most of the time many of these more populated servers are listed as full on the roster. Even prior to guesting being introduced, players who wanted to make these servers their permanent home were having a very difficult time finding a break in the restrictions to switch over.

On top of that, many players are simply rooted by other friends, guilds, etc to their current home server. They made it their home for a reason, and are not likely to pack up and move just because restrictions are placed on guesting. After all, we’ve gone all this time without guesting and yet life went on.

Maybe you’d switch servers (and, honestly, why don’t you?), but I highly doubt curbing guesting would result in a mass exodus from one server to the next.

Pirlipat.2479

Yep thats why two of the guilds I’ve been in moved to a fuller server and that’s why another friend of mine moved back after he had moved to our server to play with us. /irony

It already happened when transfers were without costs.

I can fully understand that it is annoying that servers get crowded but all this cry out to restrict guesting for me sounds more like “beware the strangers”.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Edge.4180

Yep thats why two of the guilds I’ve been in moved to a fuller server and that’s why another friend of mine moved back after he had moved to our server to play with us. /irony

It already happened when transfers were without costs.

I can fully understand that it is annoying that servers get crowded but all this cry out to restrict guesting for me sounds more like “beware the strangers”.

You’re just choosing to see it that way. All that’s being requested is to be reasonable and fair to the full time residents of these servers. They have an expectation to play with their community on their chosen home. There’s nothing odd there.

For the record, you could not switch your residence over to my server right now if you actually wanted to. It’s full. You can guest to it, though. So, your doomsday prediction isn’t applying here.

Guesting is a great tool, but it was not meant as a way to bypass event timers and earn more loot. Unfortunately, players will always abuse any inch given to them, which is why we rarely end up with nice things.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Why do I feel hate you in your message? :/ Stop hating, that will be a big step for you.

For the rest, I’d say your server doesn’t belong to YOU. They’re players, like you.

Posted by: pulsecodesgnl.3470

pulsecodesgnl.3470

Alright, first off, let’s get to the root of the problem. The problem is not that loot is better, nor that there is guesting, nor that you can get chests on alts.

The problem is the timers.

You should be incentivized for exploring the world, and coming upon those events. Being in guilds that can call them out when they are seen. You shouldn’t be relying on a third party website that tracks the times, lets everyone come in and camp waiting for the event. What ideally should be done, is make those timers more random so those sites are invalid, and people aren’t timing out those events so the mass populus doesn’t converge at the exact same time.

If the timers were gone, the problem of extreme server lag would be as well, because it would require slightly more effort that most people aren’t willing to put the time investment in for, and beyond that it would make it more rewarding to get to the event.

edit: Also, don’t be dumb, this isn’t “exploiting”, stop trying to reinvent terms to demonize people.

Voxtr | Svell | Kvikr | Svass | Sundr | Naud | Kvedja | Traust
Sorrow’s Furnace – Commander/Officer
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

(edited by pulsecodesgnl.3470)

Posted by: Winther.7108

Winther.7108

Alright, first off, let’s get to the root of the problem. The problem is not that loot is better, nor that there is guesting, nor that you can get chests on alts.

The problem is the timers.

I disagree.
Before changes in the loot I never experienced any form of lag or overflow.
Now I end up in overflow unless I arrive minimum 10 mins before the spawn window actually opens. The timers were there long before this became an issue – don’t blame them.

Aurora Glade // Vanguard of Divinity’s Reach

Posted by: Didis.3984

Didis.3984

After start of GW2 in august, first time to see an overflow server for Shatterer on FS. What caused it….questing…can’t play shatterer, due to to much people.
Please disable guesting at once and redesign this feature.

Leader of Lowland Lions [LLL]

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

After start of GW2 in august, first time to see an overflow server for Shatterer on FS. What caused it….questing…can’t play shatterer, due to to much people.
Please disable guesting at once and redesign this feature.

Problem is you can’t tell if it’s guesting. It’s far more likely it’s the change to the chests and the drop rates that has everyone on your server doing them. Didn’t crash before the patch after all. And we’ve had guesting for a month now.

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

Perhaps change it so that you need an invite from somebody who’s on that Home Server to guest on it? Or you need to be a member of a guild which calls that server their Home?

Wouldnt this just invite guilds to randomly invite players from other servers so they can guest to them?

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

How do you know they are guesting? Just curious is there a mark or something?

They addressed the server in all-caps by the server name, which led me to suspect that they were guesting, so I asked politely for them to stop guesting, and that’s how they responded.

I wouldn’t say to remove Guesting all together, but change it so that it fits the intended purpose of the feature which is to “allow you to play with your friends on other worlds.”

The key word on that one is friends. Meaning that the server choices should be restricted to the home servers that people on your friends list belongs to. If you don’t have any mutual friends on a particular world, then you shouldn’t be allowed to guest on that world. That’s the way that guesting should work.

I do agree that it could potentially be crossing the borders of exploitation, especially for players who have multiple characters within level range to participate in such event.

On the other hand, how are we to tell if someone participating in the event is actually a guest or not? Another thing to consider is that the chests for these events have been buffed considerably. That means that more people are actually doing these events with the potential of putting late comers on Overflow servers.

Maybe showing an icon next to someone’s name could be an idea, similar to the LFG, Commander, and World Completion icons appear for certain players. Then we can truly find out if it’s Guesting that’s causing the problem, or the events just simply having a huge abundance of people from your home world.

I am very supportive of these ideas.

I am in the process of validating the claim that guesting can yield more loot from dragon events.

It is true that you can no longer guest to receive multiple loots from the same event.

This does not invalidate the exploitative nature of guesting to receive loot from world events, though. An exploit is using a game mechanic to give yourself an unfair advantage, and the time saved by exploiting the guesting feature (i.e. not using it to play with friends on other servers, as intended, but to save yourself time) is an unfair advantage to those who abide by the “dragon timers” of their own world.

~edited formatting

Technically it’s exploiting based on the definition of “Exploit” but it isn’t an exploit that is often viewed on a level similar to hacking. It is in no way hurtful to the game at all, when all players have the same options.

You can also guest for convenience, it doesn’t hurt anybody at all. It only makes your experience better.

The reason there’s lag is because the event is worth doing now, people love dragon events. It’s as simple as that.

Posted by: Tribune.3782

Tribune.3782

Guesting needs to be changed.

I wasted a lot of time and missed three meta-events in my rare spare time today (1) on my “own” server due to all the people who are server-hopping to farm their dragons/events in a more time efficient way – I got moved to overflow because of disconnects or because I wasn’t in the zones “hours” before the events.

I thought the intention of guesting was to allow friends from different servers to play together without limitations for others – but it’s getting too ridiculous… it’s an anti-social feature.

(first time since the BWEs that I have a little grudge about the otherwise awesome game).

(1) those days add up. It’s not the first and won’t be the last, I think

(edited by Tribune.3782)

Posted by: izual.4735

izual.4735

After day at work I wanted to relax and slay some dragons.. and what happened? I got stock in overflow, with many others, while Tequatl was killed in my home server. I play on my server for the very beginning. This ‘brilliant’ idea makes all regular players pay for few hardcore players, not to call it otherway, hardcore guesting. Before the chest thing was a lot better and less lag.
Dear Anet, if you want improve your game, make chests account bound as they should be. Guesting should be limited to dungeons and guild events.
Thanks for reading my complains.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Let’s look at the actual problems here:

1. Being able to run the dragon chests on alts. This has always been possible since launch day. Clearly it has never caused an issue in the last 6 months. Not the core problem.

2. Guesting. Available for the previous two months. Overflow and lag problem didn’t exist in the previous 2 months. Not the core problem.

3. People exploiting and running multiple chests per character. This was possible since launch. People used to run the dragon chests 5-6 times a day before the patch, yet there was no lag or overflows. Not the core problem

4. Dragon loot increased. Immediate lag, overflow, crashing, disconnects and population problems.

Now that we know the facts, which one of these 4 things is the cause of overflow and lag problems. (hint: it isn’t 1, 2, or 3.)

As long as they isolate the good loot to small open world areas, they will be crowded, end of story.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

As I have mentioned in many post, guesting are put on lower priority while in guested server. So they are put in overflow FIRST. Therefore, the maps are in overflow because your server is overcrowded by your own people and are made up of mostly your own people… The guest ratio is likely 9:1 at best (1 being the guest).

Posted by: Blastroid.3967

Blastroid.3967

Like with all new changes I believe things will settle down. Chests give good loot now. It has been less than a week. People guest for a dragon when they can do it right then and not have to wait for their server window. I say give it a couple of weeks and I bet you will see less people caring anymore. Also there are many players going for 250+ Globs of Ectoplasm and once they get these they may not care as much for the yellow loot as much. The same problem happens on holiday events on the 1st day or any new content added. Good loot is like new content in this manner.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

Guesting isn’t the problem. It’s having everyone on the same map that’s the problem.

I mean, look at the Karka event. No one was “exploiting” guesting or server transfers to do Karka. We had tons of lag just because that’s the population of the server getting together in one place.

The problem isn’t guesting. The problem is that the game doesn’t handle large crowds well. That’s like getting into a fender bender and complaining that the guy in front of you stopped too fast when the truth is your breaks are missing.

pulsecodesgnl.3470

I disagree.
Before changes in the loot I never experienced any form of lag or overflow.
Now I end up in overflow unless I arrive minimum 10 mins before the spawn window actually opens. The timers were there long before this became an issue – don’t blame them.

Whether you disagree or not, if the sites timers were gone, there wouldn’t be the mass influx of people in the same area as consistently. The ‘guesting’ excuse would be invalidated unless you were in a guild on another server (minority), the mass amount of players excuse would be gone as well, because people in MMOs are inherently lazy (see all the gimme something for nothing posts).

Beyond that, the game would function as it was originally designed to and aimed for, without removing functionality that benefits everyone. The timers need to go, it’s more ‘exploitative’ than ‘guesting’ is. You do no work (clicking on a WP and autoattacking), for a significant reward.

Posted by: oruma.4092

oruma.4092

guesting should be removed again right away, serves no purpose besides lagging and screwing other players.

when u want to play with your “friends” then pay the money and server transfer or start on a new server

pulsecodesgnl.3470

guesting should be removed again right away, serves no purpose besides lagging and screwing other players.

when u want to play with your “friends” then pay the money and server transfer or start on a new server

Sorrow’s Furnace is a low-pop PvE server, ‘guesting’ is not a problem and we lag horrendously. The issue is that it’s too easy port and get your auto-loot because the timers are too reliable.

Posted by: Beeca.9467

Beeca.9467

I dont believe that guesting is the big problem its that so many people now show up for the bosses it creates lag sure guesting might add some but not that much.

I think their servers cant handle all the folks doing bosses right now is the main problem.

Last nite on my server i missed every boss due to overflow i think they need to fix it soon or they will start losing folks.

80-Ranger/80-Necro/80-Warrior/
80-Guardian /80- Mesmer

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

The way people throw around the word “exploit” is mind boggling. Seriously, can’t we reserve use of the word for exploits and not use it for everything under the sun?

And guesting is not the problem. Guesting is the scapegoat that is getting blamed.

/sarcasm turned on
I have a new theory. The shadow behemoth event (when it last worked) had probably 10 commander tags there last time and we were lagging very badly! I think that the commander tag must have caused all the lag!
/sarcasm turned off

The problem is that lots of people in one area results in the event lagging. Prior to the change, the SB would lag in Queensland on my server just because it was so popular.
If guesting IS contributing to the problem then it is due to some bug in the guesting script that interacts with the space time continuum allowing massive lag monsters to attack.

Whatever the problem is, they need to address the underlying cause and fix that. We lagged at the event where Lion’s Arch was attacked. We lagged at the event where we went to the island to kill the big whatchamacallit. We lagged when the pumpkin king appeared…was that due to guesting? Nope. It was due to more people being in one place at one time than the server can manage.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

(edited by Katz.5143)

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

One chest per character per day, and a maximum of maybe five chests per account. Problem solved without punishing anybody, because nobody can tell me he’s actively playing more than five characters per day on different servers except for the sole purpose of farming world events.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: stingray.4138

stingray.4138

So after reading all of this let me ask those who do guest on other servers as I do not. Do you actually get chests from the world bosses on your home server and then when guesting able to get them on the servers you guest on? Not sure I see any benefit other then being able to get chests from the servers and helping bog down high pop servers.

Also a lot of the lag seen is from more people at events. Heck on my home server I see guild tags I have never seen before at events and I know they are not from my home server so Guesting is 50% of the problem at world bosses after last patch.

Posted by: DaddyPig.6185

DaddyPig.6185

Since the guesting has been active and the change to the loot, events are getting farmed to death and it’s kitten near impossible to get into a zone. The amount of times today I’ve been locked in an overflow, even if I arrive up to an hour before the event is a joke.

Surely priority must be given to those who actually reside on the servers they are playing on and move these farming server hoppers to overflows. Better still, removing guesting altogether as it’s breaking the game for the masses. It’s no doubt a massive contributing factor to the lag and culling and zones with events that offer chests are just stupidly busy.

I’m curious too if anyone from the dev team has actually played the game in the EU on an EU server and thought “Yes, this is how we wanted this event to pan out”. Huge amounts of culling, huge delays on abilities cast, it’s simply a joke at the moment.

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

So after reading all of this let me ask those who do guest on other servers as I do not. Do you actually get chests from the world bosses on your home server and then when guesting able to get them on the servers you guest on? Not sure I see any benefit other then being able to get chests from the servers and helping bog down high pop servers.

Also a lot of the lag seen is from more people at events. Heck on my home server I see guild tags I have never seen before at events and I know they are not from my home server so Guesting is 50% of the problem at world bosses after last patch.

I don’t guest, but I did guest recently to test out the theory of getting multiple dragon chests per character. I killed Teq on my home server, immediately guested to Anvil Rock and killed him again, and no chest from anvil rock on the same toon. It isn’t possible.

Knowing that information, there can only be one other alternative. A much easier criminal is the dragon chest now gives you a rare item 100% of the time. Most people want rares, that’s three free rares a day PER CHARACTER. If you have 5 level 80’s, you’re going to want all 15 of the rares you can get. So, what do you do? Guest to other servers when their dragon is up since you just killed it on the other toon and would have to wait. You can only guest twice though, so you would still have to wait a period of time.

Regardless of guesting, even without it you would still see massive lag as everybody wants those rares. At the end of the day, it would still be a ton of your server’s population vying for the rares.

Posted by: bigtankstarsp.3581

bigtankstarsp.3581

Well I think the guesting Idea was great untill people abusing it for dragon chests prevents the home server population to do world events… I wa in a queue on my lvl 10 just to get hearts and pois in queensland because people are farming dragon chests in swamp.. I dont think its fair and I do consider this an exploit of a system that anet has implamented to prevent dragon farming… now they can get 3 chests/character from each chest each day…. Please fix this asap.

[JL] Tstar D Engineer
[JL] Oakland Raider
B L A C K G AT E

Posted by: bigtankstarsp.3581

bigtankstarsp.3581

same as NA worlds… So pitiful….

[JL] Tstar D Engineer
[JL] Oakland Raider
B L A C K G AT E

Posted by: Aannyari.7608

Aannyari.7608

I have to agree, being moved to overflow when I reside on this server is getting a bit ridiculous. The guesting feature is definitely being abused.

Posted by: Arcain.9106

Arcain.9106

I can pretty much say that this doesn’t happen. I have tested this on 3 different events on 3 servers. 1 chest/character/day. No exploit.
Also, I very highly doubt that guesting is the problem. The problem is the majority of players on your server have rushed to one area. This causes lag all the time. Remember Halloween? Lost Shores? FotM?

Posted by: Teenwolf.9174

Teenwolf.9174

How about you just dont let people guest to very high pop servers

Posted by: Teenwolf.9174

Teenwolf.9174

Agreed… maybe if that is your home server it kicks a guester for your spot? That would cause frustration to though.

How about we just do away with guesting all together.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

How about you just dont let people guest to very high pop servers

Despite the issues that are caused by guesting, and honestly we still don’t have concrete proof on all of it, that doesn’t seem like a great answer. Anet created the issue, and punishing people that want to play elsewhere with friends or avoid transfer costs seems like a bad choice. It’s not their fault, this is what Anet left them with when they removed free transfers for guesting.

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

What people dont realize is that “overflow” is not really a seperate server, but rather one of the other servers that are not currently full. Overflow is just a title that you got moved, not an actual “extra” server as many would like to believe.

Posted by: AinSoph.5063

AinSoph.5063

How do you know it’s all guests?

Maybe, since the events are ACTUALLY worth doing now…more people on your server are doing them! GASP!

Also, hilarious to me that a month ago every other post was “OMG GAME IS DEAD NO ONE IS IN ANY ZONES”, and now it’s “OMG OVERFLOWS, LAG, WTF ANET”

Makes me happy on the inside.

—Ain Soph— Warrior
—Fort Aspenwood—