Guesting should be more limited

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: antonbalboa.7280

antonbalboa.7280

Hiyo, I want to open a thread where ppl can post their opinion.

What I’m worried about is that the guesting service is very “free” and I think it should be limited. For giving an example (as many others), today trying to do a wurm attempt, the map was hard-capped 1 hour 15 min before the event popped. This attempt was on Deso main map and people that are “natives” to Deso couldn’t enter in the whole time. Another examples are all of Living Story events (Marionette, LA ….).

I can understand guesters thta can’t do these events in their own servers (lack of organisation, few people…) but I think the guesting service should change. I understand many events success thanks to guesters that are skilled and motivated to do them but I also think they get map spots that should be for “natives”. What I also hate is those guesters that even occupying an spot on a map also afk at the entrance (in LA).

What I suggest to Anet is one of two things (tell me if you think about more)
1.-Simply don’t allow people from other servers to guest to a main map, at least not to a Living Story one. This way the responsability of the serves would be to success their own events and if people from other “minor” servers can’t do all those events in their own server, just go to an overflow where people from any server can join (as it is nowadays)

2.-For each attempt of Living Story, make a timer where “natives” can enter their own map without being capped by guesters. After that time (lets say 1 min) If the map is not capped yet, the guesters can join it entering in queue order.

What do you think?

Cheers
Krimrel

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I think we should get rid of servers all together so there are no “natives”. The entire concept is ridiculous.

We should just have districts or channels or whatever for the PvE zones. That way there shouldn’t be empty areas and you can easily join your friends in whatever district they’re in.

PvE doesn’t need servers. It only hurts us. Natives don’t have anymore right to the map. Guesting is the way Anet fixes it so they could have WvW. Get rid of your “natives only” concept. It really doesn’t make sense, and if you’re on a full server, this limited stuff probably wouldn’t even help you. There’s more than 150 people on your server anyway.

antonbalboa.7280

I know you will have more than 150 people per server but at least queues would be far way shorter.

It has no sense that for playing a LS on my main server I have to wait hours and maybe I wil not get inside, simply no sense, making people transfer would make people stay on their own ones (improving them for sure) or going to a “public” overflow where all people could enter.

I think the best solution would be the one not allowing guesters entering other main maps and letting overflow maps for those purposes

Posted by: SirBigmark.7981

SirBigmark.7981

Then people will pay and transfer.
The whole server concept should be removed outside of WvW.
Guesting is a shot in that direction but people don’t understand.
They are “natives”.

Posted by: SSalp.6423

SSalp.6423

I think we should get rid of servers all together so there are no “natives”. The entire concept is ridiculous.

We should just have districts or channels or whatever for the PvE zones. That way there shouldn’t be empty areas and you can easily join your friends in whatever district they’re in.

PvE doesn’t need servers. It only hurts us. Natives don’t have anymore right to the map. Guesting is the way Anet fixes it so they could have WvW. Get rid of your “natives only” concept. It really doesn’t make sense, and if you’re on a full server, this limited stuff probably wouldn’t even help you. There’s more than 150 people on your server anyway.

This and the ability to create password protected “overflows” or in this case channels for guilds. Problem solved.

Immotal Kingdom[KING] – Desolation

Posted by: Fully Evil.4532

Fully Evil.4532

Honestly disagree entirely with the “native vs guester” attitude. When you say “natives” should have priorities why should they? Is it because they ticked the right box when they started their account or that they paid a few gems for a transfer? Just because you paid 1800 gems does not exactly give you the right to be a higher priority player than another. It isn’t merely ease of access either; you getting in on a map will actively block it for another.

From someone who has spent a lot of time guesting for events (Tequatl, Wurm, etc) I can tell as part of a community which is across most EU servers that on many occasions the event only succeeds because there are players from other servers who are willing to listen and play properly rather than act as an elite. I can also say how entering events such as Teq, Wurm, etc is in a way already biased towards “native” players entering. They can spam join a party member in a given map much much faster than a guester can join (a process that involves leaving the map, re-entering and repeating with considerable loads times adding up). This results in “natives” having more attempts to enter the map in a given time than someone guesting and therefore a greater likelihood of entering.

In response to not allowing guesters on main maps: that is the whole point of guesting. If I want to get into an overflow I can join that overflow from any server. The best solution I can think of is to make more of the content (such as wurm) instanced so that it doesn’t interfere with map populations and allow better organisation.

Finally, the whole prospect of “natives” being somehow more entitled or better than guesters is perilously close to xenophobia IRL and the only argument I can see against guesting would be if people are guesting to servers that aren’t of their language.

antonbalboa.7280

Honestly disagree entirely with the “native vs guester” attitude. When you say “natives” should have priorities why should they? Is it because they ticked the right box when they started their account or that they paid a few gems for a transfer? Just because you paid 1800 gems does not exactly give you the right to be a higher priority player than another. It isn’t merely ease of access either; you getting in on a map will actively block it for another.

From someone who has spent a lot of time guesting for events (Tequatl, Wurm, etc) I can tell as part of a community which is across most EU servers that on many occasions the event only succeeds because there are players from other servers who are willing to listen and play properly rather than act as an elite. I can also say how entering events such as Teq, Wurm, etc is in a way already biased towards “native” players entering. They can spam join a party member in a given map much much faster than a guester can join (a process that involves leaving the map, re-entering and repeating with considerable loads times adding up). This results in “natives” having more attempts to enter the map in a given time than someone guesting and therefore a greater likelihood of entering.

In response to not allowing guesters on main maps: that is the whole point of guesting. If I want to get into an overflow I can join that overflow from any server. The best solution I can think of is to make more of the content (such as wurm) instanced so that it doesn’t interfere with map populations and allow better organisation.

Finally, the whole prospect of “natives” being somehow more entitled or better than guesters is perilously close to xenophobia IRL and the only argument I can see against guesting would be if people are guesting to servers that aren’t of their language.

Whatever is the reason there is some point that fails in Anet structure of maps/overflows. What I think it should be, if you don’t want to deal with that problem is that any map would be “main”. All maps should have the same treatement and ppl would be able to enter one or the other with no limitation. That could be a good option too (as it is already working on EOTM). All I say is that you should have an option to join people from your own server with people from others don’t letting you entering in (for example, If deso were a French server, where people talked in French and were the best PVE server where all the events succeded, what’s the point of 100 people guesting at the same time in a map where they wont understand a single word? you can say “oh, if there are 100 people guesting they would talk in English”, so where’s the point making a French server? think about that)

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Before the game was released we were told that server transfers would be free, but too much concern came with WvWvW that they had to implement guesting instead.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I always wonder how people know that a ‘Guest’ took their spot. If you reside on a populous server, then more people from that server will be filling the maps, and causing overflow. If you don’t want overflow, try either transferring to a lower-population server, or guesting.

Even our lowest-tier server gets overflows the first week of any LS release. I am pretty sure no one is guesting to our server.