Guild Emblems... YAY DISAPPOINTMENT!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kfc.8170

kfc.8170

Im so tired of these guild emblems that are “cutesy” garbage, its SUPER rare to give us ANYTHING that I can show as an emblem that says “Whoah”… , “That… that is pretty bad@#$”, rather than “awwwww”. Seriously Anet give us something good as far as emblems go for once! The winners were fine, though I cant remember a time we got something more intimidating, instead all we get is goofy, or cute. Because when you think armies of soldiers, charging at you you think Squirrels that are drawn by 5 yr olds…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So, mind showing us the emblem you submitted?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

kfc.8170

I didn’t submit any, who here says I did. However some other people out there had some GREAT art posted and instead we get 2 Quaggan winners….

(edited by kfc.8170)

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And there we have it then. You complain about lack of (in your eyes) good selections, and yet you didn’t even try to do anything about it yourself by submitting something that would be good in your eyes.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

kfc.8170

And there we have it then. You complain about lack of (in your eyes) good selections, and yet you didn’t even try to do anything about it yourself by submitting something that would be good in your eyes.

lol w/e dude, all I know is we got 2 quggan winners, and nothing to serious.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

I agree. First 2 winner in contest boring quaggan. I guess the person that pick the winner like cute boring quaggan because they were number one and two. I can see if first maybe was quaggan and then second something else. I like third place one best. It just seem obvious the person deciding prefer quaggan.

;)

kfc.8170

I agree. First 2 winner in contest boring quaggan. I guess the person that pick the winner like cute boring quaggan because they were number one and two. I can see if first maybe was quaggan and then second something else. I like third place one best. It just seem obvious the person deciding prefer quaggan.

Thanks for understanding my point of view

Posted by: Tarrek.7436

Tarrek.7436

I’m kinda hoping for a lawsuit from the Camel cigarette people for that 4th place winner. That 1st place winner is terrible. I like the 5th place one though. Also, here:

Attachments:

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Just because you hate it doesn’t mean the majority of the player base does lol. Personally I liked the mordrem one best at the end, it was my favorite, but I still recognize tat hey there are a lot of people out there who love quaggans and are going to use the new ones, so what? There’s plenty of other emblems to choose from, use one of them lol.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

I wouldn’t have minded one cute quaggan winner, if one of the others had been a flayed quaggan…

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

I’m kinda hoping for a lawsuit from the Camel cigarette people for that 4th place winner. That 1st place winner is terrible. I like the 5th place one though. Also, here:

Thats a pretty cool emblem.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah, I wanted to enter one, but I’m utter rubbish at using PS or other programs like that. When I saw the quaggen ones, I was a little sick in my mouth. But hay, some people like cute things, as as history has shown, different people had different emblems. I’ve seen battle standards with a chalice on it. Hardly fear inducing. But I agree. I can’t see someone charging in to battle waving a quaggen banner at me.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Honestly, big deal.

Quaggan aren’t intimidating, but if you’re using that as an excuse, neither is a warrior in pink and white armor charging onto the battlefield either.

Whoever judged the contest likes cute stuff over gritty stuff.

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: Pariah.7358

Pariah.7358

Hey this kid doesn’t like quaggans he must hate America! Nah but seriously it would have been nice if they picked at least one imposing emblem instead of 3 cute ones, a goofy dragon and a flower dog. I would personally never use any of those. To me it would be like airborne rangers using a basket of puppies on a rainbow background to instill fear in their enemies. That is not how it works.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yeahhhhh. The contest winners need to cover a range of styles. 2 cute quaggans is one cute quaggan too many for such a limited selection that’s getting into game.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Leviathan.6327

Leviathan.6327

That’s such a childish response to someone who is genuinely unhappy with something…

“Man, these emblems aren’t that good.” -> “So why don’t you draw better ones!”
“Man, these daredevil animations suck.” -> “So why don’t you animate better ones!”
“Man, this sandwich is terrible.” -> “So why don’t you make a better one!”

I totally get what kfc was saying. Seriously, big time congrats to the winners! That’s totally awesome and they should be proud of their work, and I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who can’t wait to use these emblems. But honestly, I share the opinions with most of the others here in that I wish we got some cool ones as opposed to cute/goofy ones. That dragon looks awesome and very well done, but the cartoony X’d out eyes and tongue hanging out kinda ruin it for me.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Cartoon dreck to go with the cartoon armor, cartoon legendary effects, cartoon wings, etc etc.

Why would we be surprised?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

kfc.8170

That’s such a childish response to someone who is genuinely unhappy with something…

“Man, these emblems aren’t that good.” -> “So why don’t you draw better ones!”
“Man, these daredevil animations suck.” -> “So why don’t you animate better ones!”
“Man, this sandwich is terrible.” -> “So why don’t you make a better one!”

I totally get what kfc was saying. Seriously, big time congrats to the winners! That’s totally awesome and they should be proud of their work, and I’m sure there are a lot of people out there who can’t wait to use these emblems. But honestly, I share the opinions with most of the others here in that I wish we got some cool ones as opposed to cute/goofy ones. That dragon looks awesome and very well done, but the cartoony X’d out eyes and tongue hanging out kinda ruin it for me.

To funny haha! And I hear you on the Dragon, was no joke just talking to friends about how it was the best one there, but unfortunately the tongue and X eye killed it for me.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Nothing against the artists who submitted them but the fact that both the first and second place winners were cutesy cartoon critters says a lot. The judges think of GW2 in terms of cartoons aimed at the kindergarten crowd.

Qugi.2653

I almost wonder if winner was pick with RNG since they say they had 500 to pick from.

;)

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Yeah, I was real disappointed with the picks. Not that they were bad art or anything, but they don’t really appeal to my tastes. They really should have picked different themes for the winners. Hell, the art styles are so similar on all if them they could’ve been made by one artist.

Qugi.2653

Hell, the art styles are so similar on all if them they could’ve been made by one artist.

Maybe that happened with some player with many accounts. If so he get a lot of gems and shirts.

;)

Qugi.2653

OMG I just now saw this. It is page of emblems from contest. So many much more better than winner.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/sets/72157655371639663

I do now think it was RNG. Or else arena net what were you thinking about when you pick winner?

;)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Do you need to know how to perfectly cook a steak to know when a steak is bad?

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

Nothing against the artists who submitted them but the fact that both the first and second place winners were cutesy cartoon critters says a lot. The judges think of GW2 in terms of cartoons aimed at the kindergarten crowd.

Of course they won, where the endgame is fashion wars, cutesy quaggan emblems are right up there on things people want.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Ok, seriously, it’s possible to have an opinion as a user without being skilled as a creator. Believe me when I say many game company art directors I’ve worked with are not themselves wildly skilled illustrators. They have to understand the principles and be able to articulate their desires (often with words rather than imagery) but they don’t necessarily send each artist they are directing a sketch of what they’re looking for.

“More heroic” and “Less cutsey” aren’t highly specific, but they’re still actionable guidance. “Less than 40% quaggan, please” is definitely actionable .

There were some really lovely pieces in the catalogue of all the entries, but for the most part I think ANet was actively avoiding highly detailed/complex designs including thin lines and intricate repeating patterns like knot-work. Specifically things that will become blurry and indistinct even at medium ranges or while in motion. Once you cull all of those out the 5 that won really are fairly excellent uses of larger, blockier shapes that will stand up to reduction and motion blur.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

I knew from day one of the contest a quaggan was going to win, didn’t expect two. So i made several quaggans :p, none made it, but it was too predictable.

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

While I do like the winning designs (and many many others in the album) I personally would have loved a plush griffon or dapper llama emblem, as well as a revenant reference. I wonder if Anet will be adding their own designs, hopefully including emblems that reference newer events.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

OMG I just now saw this. It is page of emblems from contest. So many much more better than winner.

I do now think it was RNG. Or else arena net what were you thinking about when you pick winner?

They thought “hey let’s pick 2 Quaggans because yay branding!”

I’m sure they would have picked 5 Quaggan emblems if they thought they could get away with it.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

As cool as that emblem is, it doesn’t really work when sized down. The foreground models have complex detail that just wouldn’t show up if the image was the size of an actual guild emblem. In fact, I had to look over the image twice just to figure out what the foreground characters were.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

why not 20 winners?
or 40….

will only those 5 designs by the 5 chosen winners be in the game? :/

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Oyranos.9750

Oyranos.9750

I am still trying to find something that I like for my guild…
I was about to use the horse with the wings, but it also have a horn…
Horse with horn = Unicorn from Chinese myths (healing abilities and related with the moon)
Horse with wings = Pigasus from my civilization Hellas. (Only the brave and pure hearts can tame it.
But the guild wars 2 is like a unicorn and a pigasus made a mixed baby…. NO WAY to use that for my guild. I got disappointed.
The name of my guild is related with Pigasus, no way with unicorns.
ps: I used a Gryphon for now, gryphon are Zeus pets…but still trying to figure out how to do it right and with the right colors and background.

(edited by Oyranos.9750)

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

I looked over their contest page where they posted submissions. Found this one that looks similar to the one I submitted: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arenanet/20819877336/in/album-72157655371639663/

Mine is attached below. (1 is the submitted image, 2 is the full colored)

Attachments:

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Taste is something very subjective. Looking through the entries, I do see some that are better in my personal opinion. But I also see a potential issue with them when they would been added to the game. It is the amount of complexity and details.

A guild emblem has to be usable on many different scales. That means that complex emblems might look great on flickr, but will likely look terrible and even unrecognisable when scaled in the game.

This might have been a factor when selecting the emblems. They did say in the introduction: “Make sure your emblem looks good small. Avoid excessive details.”

Many of the submissions didn’t follow that guideline. It makes them look better popped out, but not when they are small.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

What you asked was a trick question though.

If he said he submitted nothing then you would just blame him for not making an effort. If he submitted something you would have complained that he was just upset that he did not win.

I must admit the winners are a bit too cute, even the sword in the dragon head. I hope these are not the only emblems Arena Net are adding but are making some themselves to go with HoT.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

I must admit the winners are a bit too cute, even the sword in the dragon head. I hope these are not the only emblems Arena Net are adding but are making some themselves to go with HoT.

I have to admit, it never hit me to think that they might be adding some themselves. Here is hoping they do and that the winners are just a select few of many they are adding… one can hope at least… or many of us, so it seems lol.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Not really. At least half of the non winners looks better than the winners to me. Anet has a bad taste if they think those quaggans are the two best submissions.
I talked with friends and guilds on TS about the emblems and noone considered the quaggans, mordrem wolf head or llama head in their top 5.
The least Anet should do is adding at least 25 of the submissions into the game, not just their top 5.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Strength.6851

Strength.6851

I have to admit, it never hit me to think that they might be adding some themselves. Here is hoping they do and that the winners are just a select few of many they are adding… one can hope at least… or many of us, so it seems lol.

I couldn’t agree more with what you said. I’m pretty much at the same state as you are.

Posted by: Despair.2374

Despair.2374

They thought “hey let’s pick 2 Quaggans because yay branding!”

I’m sure they would have picked 5 Quaggan emblems if they thought they could get away with it.

Lol, I couldn’t agree more with this. I really wanted something with a more serious tone and not something cute, the “cutesy” factor doesn’t fit for me. The llama though, would’ve been very nice with the top hat, Dapper Llama.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

What isn’t kitten about a kitten kittening Quaggan?!?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Completely irrelevant.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Completely irrelevant.

Have to agree. My artistic skills don’t even rate the accolade of “poor.” There isn’t anything I could submit that would be worth considering. That doesn’t mean I can’t have an opinion on what I consider is a good selection.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I for once also hoped to see something, uhnm, how to say.. more mature to be the winners and 1 quaggan under the winenrs would have been absolutely enough, that one that made place 1, the other is obsolete…

Just hope, that Anet by themself will add also with HoT alot more variety to the things that make us and our guilds unique..

So alot of new Faces, new Hair Styles, new Hair/Eye Colors, new Body Frames, more options for Tatoos, Fur, Horns and such stuff and naturally alot new Guild Emblems, Guild Emblem background option,s and COLORS here also too, the current amount of colors for Guild Emblems is just ridiculous small.
And all those chara design options accessible, without having to use a gemstore item for these things to be able to use them for once.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Titan Cronus.9216

Titan Cronus.9216

Aww man, I totally agree! Like two out of five are cutesy cartoon Quaggans. Whoever chose them, didn’t have guilds of fighters, armoured to the nines and bristling weapons in mind. Maybe they were picked with kids playschools in mind. Majorly disappointed but each to their own I suppose, eh.

Congratz to the winners and no hard feelings or anything. You probably put a lot of time into them and your effort has been rewarded.

Attachments:

Crónus : Human male Eelementalist, Desolation.
17 level 80 characters, all races, all professions.

Qugi.2653

I guess first two that win are good for guild that like to show they want to cuddle and hug. Not so good for guild that like to show they are serious and tough. I feel bad for the more serious one that did not win. So I guess arena net say everyone let us have cute hug and cuddle by what they pick for first 2.

;)

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

In this day in age there is no reason why they couldn’t have made a public vote system. Everyone posts their designs to a site then we vote. Each account equals one vote.

Just a flesh wound.3589

In this day in age there is no reason why they couldn’t have made a public vote system. Everyone posts their designs to a site then we vote. Each account equals one vote.

And then we get 5 cute quaggans as the top scoring ones.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I kind of agree, the 5th place winner had a very good design though.

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

And then we get 5 cute quaggans as the top scoring ones.

Can be avoided by not advertising voting on reddit.

Posted by: Kjell.8379

Kjell.8379

The dragon head and llama look exactly like something you’d find on a bunch of fighter planes or something. Not seeing any reason to complain there.