Guild Hall Decoration Increase

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

A message from the Guilds Team:

We are happy to announce that we have made a number of performance improvements to the guild decoration system and will be raising the decoration cap in the guild hall from 1000 decorations to 2000 decorations in the July 26 release! As you may know, this has been a long-standing goal, and we’re delighted to be able to make the increase at this time.

While a majority of players will enjoy the higher cap with no issue, there will be some impact on those who play on computers at the minimum specifications for Guild Wars 2. To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500. To give that an in-game point of reference, the effect radius of a warrior shout is 600, so a guild could place 20 decorations in a space slightly smaller than the area of that skill effect. But even with that protection in place, some players could experience performance issues. Thus we wanted to offer a couple suggestions for guilds that may have members who play on min-spec machines but who wish to place an increased number of decorations in their guild hall.

• Consider spacing decorations with animations or interact options around your hall. Avoiding clusters of such objects will reduce the impact of the particles being produced.
  • Try to avoid placing a majority of your decorations in one general area of the map. For example, Lost Precipice’s Arena can be pretty fun to decorate because it has a lot of open space and dramatic archways. If a decorator places a majority of a guild’s decorations in and around the arena to fill it, performance will drop whenever a player’s camera turns in that general area. Consider finding ways to spread out the decorations so the area still looks full without putting quite so many into that single area.
  • Suggest members on min-spec computers use the “Best Performance” option from the Settings Preset dropdown in their graphic options [F11, 2nd Tab]. This will lower or disable some of the settings that may otherwise lower performance in favor of appearance.

Happy decorating!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Siniorica Sunmist.7218

Siniorica Sunmist.7218

Would this 500 range affect the stairs built from something(such as SAB clouds)?

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Happy Dance !!!!

(Just please don’t tell the rest of my guild – those guys get a little nuts with the decorations)

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Would this 500 range affect the stairs built from something(such as SAB clouds)?

I’m going to guess you’ll be ok to do them exactly as you have been doing them:

“To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500.”

It sounds like there’s no change up or down to clustering limitations, only a doubling of the max to place throughout the guild hall.

Posted by: UberBeir.3026

UberBeir.3026

Hello there!

First and foremost a thank you for at least taking a look into improving the decoration system, being a guild leader this is definitely an exciting incentive for more decorating fun!
I was wondering if you were also planning on providing some sort of refund for guilds that did their upgrades pre-nerf. I know I might be asking too much but some time ago I heard about a guild treasury that would recover the excess materials spent on pre-nerfed upgrades. Since some of the upgrades are pricy, especially for smaller guilds, it wouldn’t hurt to see those refunds maybe return in materials for making more awesome decorations!

Posted by: MarkoNS.3261

MarkoNS.3261

A message from the Guilds Team:

We are happy to announce that we have made a number of performance improvements to the guild decoration system and will be raising the decoration cap in the guild hall from 1000 decorations to 2000 decorations in the July 26 release! As you may know, this has been a long-standing goal, and we’re delighted to be able to make the increase at this time.

While a majority of players will enjoy the higher cap with no issue, there will be some impact on those who play on computers at the minimum specifications for Guild Wars 2. To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500. To give that an in-game point of reference, the effect radius of a warrior shout is 600, so a guild could place 20 decorations in a space slightly smaller than the area of that skill effect. But even with that protection in place, some players could experience performance issues. Thus we wanted to offer a couple suggestions for guilds that may have members who play on min-spec machines but who wish to place an increased number of decorations in their guild hall.

• Consider spacing decorations with animations or interact options around your hall. Avoiding clusters of such objects will reduce the impact of the particles being produced.
  • Try to avoid placing a majority of your decorations in one general area of the map. For example, Lost Precipice’s Arena can be pretty fun to decorate because it has a lot of open space and dramatic archways. If a decorator places a majority of a guild’s decorations in and around the arena to fill it, performance will drop whenever a player’s camera turns in that general area. Consider finding ways to spread out the decorations so the area still looks full without putting quite so many into that single area.
  • Suggest members on min-spec computers use the “Best Performance” option from the Settings Preset dropdown in their graphic options [F11, 2nd Tab]. This will lower or disable some of the settings that may otherwise lower performance in favor of appearance.

Happy decorating!

I am sorry but didnt one of you guys say the 1k upper limit is a technical issue that cant be changed ? i am pretty sure. Good news regardles that.

Posted by: UnfairOphelia.9763

UnfairOphelia.9763

This makes me very happy!!
(though I’d be even happier if we had new goodies to make for our Guild Halls )

Scribe and Executive Officer of Sognatori di Tramonto [DRMS] on Fort Aspenwood.
A proud altaholic and cartographer.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500… But even with that protection in place, some players could experience performance issues.

I find this explanation weird. If this is the reason not to increase the limit, then why is HoT stuffed with all those high-textured plants and monsters that appear through a thousand of combat particle effects? The players with low specs are not a reason to downgrade the whole paid expansion, but for guild halls where you never hit as low FPS as at Frozen Maw since no one ever is fighting, it is.

Unfortunately, the increase of the amount limit won’t help much without an increase pf the location limit. I know I’ve easily hit the limit even with huge SAB walls and floors in my JP. No matter the increase, we still won’t be able to make an "office " or an “altar”, and the amount of walking a person is willing to do with how many areas are poorly accessible also doesn’t help extra in terms of extra decoration.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Akayashi.9086

Akayashi.9086

I’d really like that change, I always feared I would reach that limit of 1000 any time while decorating… but my guild already died a while ago because after a lot of frustration with raids and nothing else to do… well. Decorating is no fun if there’s no one that could see it but I’m happy for everyone else who will benefit from the new limit.

Posted by: Sprinklie.8469

Sprinklie.8469

Thanks for not forgetting about guild halls! It’s good to know you’re still improving the system. As a small guild, however, we can only focus on small areas of the guild since we have limited resources; so in the end, keeping the 20 item radius limit doesn’t give us many more options in decorating.
I made a post about this issue about a month ago actually (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guild-Hall-decorations-per-area-too-limited/first#post6209727)

Thanks for the update, and keep it up!

(side note: it does seem the limit went from 17 →20? at least from my screen shot I took last month?)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

This is Awesome news! \o/

Posted by: DUNSTAN.8529

DUNSTAN.8529

Awesome but I still won’t be able to do this properly

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/All-I-wanted-to-do-was-get-creative

Posted by: DKShang.8792

DKShang.8792

2. To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500 radius. To give that an in-game point of reference, the effect radius of a warrior shout is 600, so a guild could place 20 decorations in a space slightly smaller than the area of that skill effect.

Happy decorating!

Great news to be sure, very appreciative of this change what with my scribe being balloon happy. I would, however, greatly appreciate seeing this local limit lifted a little, maybe to 40 per 500? In my guild the upper ranked members and officers can claim a building as their own. Most have complained that this limit is to low; and I assure you, one of them uses a minimal spec laptop, and that’s putting it nicely. Not to mention my library needs more bookcases. So, a change, even by 10 or 20, would be phenomenal.

Posted by: Sernius Alathar.6538

Sernius Alathar.6538

To avoid issues, we will continue to limit the number of decorations that may be placed close to one another in a specific allotment of space to 20 decorations within a radius of 500.

So we aren’t going to see a more robust decoration system that manages decorations in an area by size. There is alot of smaller decorations that can “fluff” up an area that just are never gonna be used because of this ridiculous cap. 20 items of any size. Needs a serious look at or just removed 90% of decorations that can’t be used due to insane limitations. E.g. Tried making the airship interior more robust, got rekt by limitations. Table, chairs, light source, plants, structural. 20 sounds like alot, but it really gives you the bare bones before you hit the cap.

In the attachments you can see the problem is not the big items, the big items with deco cap is fine, but using the SAB one as a reference, the green meadow is nice, but you can’t add anything else or decorate more as the cap is reached. It’s the minor decos that suffer. We have done the best we can with what we have but increasing it to like 40 or 50 would be amazing.

Attachments:

(edited by Sernius Alathar.6538)