Guild Hall Decorations..flop

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Badby Myself.4759

Badby Myself.4759

So our guild was very excited about Wintersday coming up and hoping for new decorations for our guild hall as we get all excited with the new seasons. Unfortunately…we got blocks of ice to craft…. blocks….of….ice…. The snow man is a statue like the ram statue….. The Christmas tree no taller then a norn… The guild halls we have are dessert or jungle…. but we could work around that if there wasn’t a limit to the amount of decorations you can place in an area (yes I know it was recently increased).

Suggestion: you already have many of the decorations in the game find a way to make the scribes able to craft them:

1. Presents or present bundles like the balloons.
2. A larger tree like the one you have in divinity reach with the lights and the star on it (combine the smaller tree’s into a bigger one.
3. Snowmen that look like snowmen and not an ice sculpture (it could use carrots and lumps of coal and cloth to help craft it).
4. Some type of garland (you can gather many different greens and what not to make this).
5. Christmas lights… can use some unid dyes to craft this.

Anyways …. there are many things that can be done and hopefully this will help for future guild hall decorations. I love to take pictures of our gh once it is decorated and post them…. not to much to take a picture of but lots of snow and snow makers….. oh and the blocks of ice.

Leader of Legendary Drunken Masters [DUI]
Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

you have pics of this iceman snow sculpture? or any of the blocks of ice? haven’t found anyof them to see what they look like and the scale. I assume the community has given up on anet’s attempt at scribbing and no longer care about it.

minus the large hemisphere pic i uploaded to the wiki, not at all what i thought it was gunna be. *(that large hemi is awful small, but i knew it was gunna be if only takes 2 snowpiles) -getting to understand how things are designed, and know what to expect

found some on reddit : http://imgur.com/a/QIbiP

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Woah, these are awesome.

A portion of the community has been asking for more big decorations that can be used to create whole new structures and such in the guild hall. The SAB decorations, in particular the SAB walls and floors that you can craft, were the first step and these new snow block decorations are another huge leap in the right direction.

That said, I do think it would have been neat to see a few other holiday themed decorations, other than the snowman, but these huge blocks are great. They aren’t even really that expensive when you compare them to other big decorations that have recently been introduced, like the new fractal platforms and blocks (which require lots and lots of fractal farming before you are able to get enough to use them for structure creations).

I’m actually really glad you posted this thread and thanks also to Kelly for posting the Imgur screenshots. I hadn’t looked into the new decorations yet and expected expensive holiday themed stuff. This gives me a goal to work toward this Wintersday season!

Posted by: Vettexl.9726

Vettexl.9726

Highly disappointing… just ugly blocks of ice

ANet should’ve just given us sacks of coal since we’ve apparently been naughty

Attachments:

Badby Myself.4759

I can understand the want for larger block structures and that is not my point. Having a guild hall decorated in the festive decorations like the Halloween ones would have been nice. Instead…you get blocks of ice….

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

While I would have liked some more colorful, festive decorations and am a little disappointed we didn’t get guild hall snow balls… you can apply a lot of creativity to these snow shapes. I’m interested to see what the community builds with them.

Kelly.7019

Woah, these are awesome.

A portion of the community has been asking for more big decorations that can be used to create whole new structures and such in the guild hall. The SAB decorations, in particular the SAB walls and floors that you can craft, were the first step and these new snow block decorations are another huge leap in the right direction.

The right direction? Really? Sorry, Wrong direction!

Alot of people have been asking for more objects that ALREADY exist in game to decorate, not creating completely new stuff from scratch.
There’s been many posts about this even giving links to screenshots of said items.

I get that they can be used for jps, but really they are so big for that, take up so much space for one ledge. The only positive i see is that they are bigger then alot of the tiny little decs that someone thought would be okay with the player base.

Structures like a igloo you’ll soon run into problems of “too many objects too close to each other”. If they ever can fix that problem then, maybe yes. But i doubt they will as some peoples computers can’t handle that load.

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Kelly.7019

There’s always April fools! but seriously, bags of coal and no message would have been awesome!

Kelly.7019

While I would have liked some more colorful, festive decorations and am a little disappointed we didn’t get guild hall snow balls… you can apply a lot of creativity to these snow shapes. I’m interested to see what the community builds with them.

There are snowballs from the snowmaker snowpile, though i’m not sure if it works completely the same way as just the snowball piles.

Badby Myself.4759

Yes a lot of the winter decorations I am talking about already exist in the game; the 3 present bundle, the big Christmas tree with snow and colored lights, the red bow and green garland, the candy canes, peppermint pads, the snowmen you have placed in the wintersday area…. in that area a lone you have many decorations that could have been used for guild halls. I love to look at how guilds decorate their guild halls for things like this including ours.

Attachments:

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

It feels like they let loose some interns to make their very first geometrical shapes in the 3D editor.

I don’t mind SOME nice blocks of ice or some such, but seriously, GW2 isn’t a slightly more advanced minecraft. It doesn’t need blocks. The jade blocks were already a bit ‘eh – what to do with that?’ , but at least theres some other more natural stuff next to it. And now we get snowblocks which are even more ‘ehhhhh’ with not much new next to it to fill the ambiance.

I want to put these decoration adding developers on a geometrical diet and get out some real decorations. Not more than a maximum of 2 geometrical shapes per batch of new decorations please. And that’s being fairly lenient.

But hey, at least the snowman is nice.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I, for one, fully intend to use these new blocks of snow to make a giant snow castle in my guild’s hall.

Badby Myself.4759

I, for one, fully intend to use these new blocks of snow to make a giant snow castle in my guild’s hall.

I would love to see a pic of this…

For myself this was just disappointing. So much potential was lost. I just feel Anet dropped the ball on this one and it isn’t even New Years Eve! =(((

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Which is great for guilds who have alot of people donating or rich people. Blocks are fairly uninteresting when you can only make a handful sadly.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Badby Myself.4759

Which is great for guilds who have alot of people donating or rich people. Blocks are fairly uninteresting when you can only make a handful sadly.

We are not a large guild but we have people donate items in advance for future game events to go towards guild decorations. If given the choice I would have rather had to craft a bunch of presents then a block of ice.

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Badby Myself.4759

Want to compare decorations by season….

These are 2 images of the same guild hall and area…. Please consider making more decorative items for wintersday….

Attachments:

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

There are snowballs from the snowmaker snowpile, though i’m not sure if it works completely the same way as just the snowball piles.

True, the snowmaker will give you one snowball when you interact with it, though I’m not sure if multiple people could each claim one simultaneously or if you’d need dedicated snowmakers for each player. I would still like to see snowball piles to play with in the GH. Maybe next year.

Badby Myself.4759

My hope is that there is a whole year between now and next wintersday and maybe…. some of the suggestions will make it in to the decorations. Our guild just felt cheated or let down with what was released this wintersday as far as decorations go.

Piles of snowballs as a decoration would also be a nice addition!! One snow maker will allow anyone to grab a snowball from it so there would be no need to have the decoration do that as the snow maker is already doing that.

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

I tried that too, but unfortunatelly the local area limit hit and prevented stacking enough blocks. Managed to make it 2 floors, but couldn’t make third.

Now making a labyrinth.

Posted by: Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Rin of Rivvinda.4971

True, the snowmaker will give you one snowball when you interact with it, though I’m not sure if multiple people could each claim one simultaneously or if you’d need dedicated snowmakers for each player. I would still like to see snowball piles to play with in the GH. Maybe next year.

You can all interact with the same snow maker and have a snowball fight in the GH (it even counts for the wintersday daily) after you throw your snowball you can grab a new one (unlimited times) as well so basically the now makers are snowball piles with as a bonus the snow falling effect arround it.

Now you only need 15 piles of snow and 15 glacial fragements (and 3 hammers and a kit) to make one…….. (hint prizes of the fragments exploded atm)

Vin Lady Venture, of The Rising Falcons [RiFa]
member of the Fissure of Woe (FoW) community

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

Definitely agree that the decorations this year are a major disappointment.

The cubes, cuboids and hemispheres (why aren’t these globes instead) all look more like carved granite than snow. The local decoration limit makes it impossible to create a wintersday area in the guild hall by placing snowpiles together (or creating anything of substance with the blocks). The ice sculptures are nice – until the population limit forces you into a new map and they turn back into giant blocks of ice (again and again). The tree is TINY.

Lights, actual snowmen, the giant ground snowflakes we see in Divinity’s reach, snow patches that are big enough to actually cover a significant area, candy canes, present boxes – it isn’t hard to think of good decorations, any of which would be infinitely better than the cube/cuboid/half globes we got (in fact, most of what we would want probably already exists in the divinity’s reach area – so the art assets are there).

The thing that ArenaNet does best is holiday events, but this year is a major disappointment for those guilds hoping to celebrate in our guild halls (especially after the good job they did for Halloween).

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

Wow… surprised they found time to hit the bevel modifier. Would have been as fast and much nicer to cook up some LOD50 snow boulders in Medusa Pro.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

THAT is ice? Where do these people live? Arizona?

Badby Myself.4759

THAT is ice? Where do these people live? Arizona?

Wouldn’t be so bad if that so called block of ice didn’t look like a giant block from minecraft….

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: UnfairOphelia.9763

UnfairOphelia.9763

I agree 100% – was extremely disappointed by the new Wintersday scribing items. After the really good Hallowe’en items, I had great expectations. Sigh.

Why not big candy canes, or those floating circular peppermint candies? Regular snowmen? Piles of snowballs or presents? An NPC holding a bell that plays a Wintersday tune? How about big round snowballs we can make our own kitten snowmen with? Stars or snowflakes? A patch of ice even? See – lots of ideas, but we end up with big minecraft blocks.

Scribe and Executive Officer of Sognatori di Tramonto [DRMS] on Fort Aspenwood.
A proud altaholic and cartographer.

Posted by: Dofty.9814

Dofty.9814

Can you run trough them? On the picture it seems you literally cut off a bridge with them xD

Badby Myself.4759

Can you run trough them? On the picture it seems you literally cut off a bridge with them xD

You can not it just blocks the way….

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Badby Myself.4759

Unfortunately you can not run through them and yes we cut off the bridge for that… great way to troll guildies by blocking off ares but ….meh

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Badby Myself.4759

Also found some decorations in the royal terrace area that could also just be released to be used as decorations for the scribe to make. The snowglobe used for the mystic forge in that area would make a nice center piece for decorations. If it uses one of the tyrian explorer things to craft it, it would be well worth it just like the a few of the other larger decorations that require that.

Stormbluff Isle
Badby Myself Commander

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I am one of the few guild scribes in our guild. We made the ice sculptures, which are nice. However, the amount of snow one can place is indeed meager, the snow parts look fake (except for the piles), and the size of the Wintersday trees is a joke (I hope they will be improved).

Posted by: Rin of Rivvinda.4971

Rin of Rivvinda.4971

with some creativity you can create an ice/snow floor out of the big blocks… (see our result)

However it goes WAY more easy with thin slabs like the SAB ones. Also the wintersday tree could indeed use an large version at least (this one is lovely but rather small indeed)

Still i’m really happy with the large sized decorations that at least make large floors and buildings possible without hitting the local decoration cap. Those large wedges of snow also help a lot to make parts of the hall that are really hard to get to (and needed the construction of stairs/bridges with decorations) much more easily accesible.

Attachments:

Vin Lady Venture, of The Rising Falcons [RiFa]
member of the Fissure of Woe (FoW) community

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Want to compare decorations by season….

These are 2 images of the same guild hall and area…. Please consider making more decorative items for wintersday….

What’s with the pictures? Almost no details etc.

Anyway, the ice blocks LOL. Anet at its best :joy:

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Kelly.7019

Check this link below for what a uber large or uber rich guild did with the blocks.
This is the kinda scope i am thinking about, but will never get my guild to contribute

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Last-Call-Wintersday-Art/first#post6441116