Guild Mag Interview

Guild Mag Interview

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

http://www.guildmag.com/guild-wars-2-interview-part-1-general-game-living-world/

Just three things I want to talk about:

1. Two years into the game’s release, no word on pre cursor crafting or even going back to a possible scavenger hunt. Something that has been asked for repeatedly over the last two years, and we have received little to no information.

2. Super Adventure Box – A nice break from the real game and something that many people enjoy, if only for the awesome skins. According to this interview, it doesn’t fit the “narrative structure” aka Living Story and does not sound like its coming back. Another way that Living Story seems to be killing things that people love about the game.

3. Immersion breaking – Living Story has changed the face of Tyria and when newer players traverse the world, they feel like it is destroying immersion. Arenanet is taking a “shoot first and ask questions later” approach. Break immersion, and then evaluate it? Really?

What do you guys think? Or if you have watched the interview, thoughts on other pieces?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

This was discussed AD NAUSEUM in another big merged thread. Just had to make your own, eh?

Guild Mag Interview

cesmode.4257

Im sorry, I dont visit these forums every single day to make sure I keep up on every topic. Ad Nausem for you, new to me.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Im sorry, I dont visit these forums every single day to make sure I keep up on every topic. Ad Nausem for you, new to me.

It is called SEARCH – pretty easy to use actually.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It was pretty big news last week. Very difficult to miss in the general discussion sub forum with the dozen or so threads popping up daily.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Hope you have some time on your hands, it’s quite a read :P

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Super-Adventure-Box-merged-1/first

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Guild Mag Interview

cesmode.4257

HAHA. The search function actually working? How many times have I tried to find a thread that I posted in a week or two ago(for example) and it came up with zero results or some Guild recruitment thread. It never works.

Even still, my comments are not only about SAB. Its about the entire interview. The thread that OmaiGodman listed(thanks) seems to be SAB focused. I bet my comments about precursors and immersion breaking living story would be flamed in that thread.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

http://www.guildmag.com/guild-wars-2-interview-part-1-general-game-living-world/

1. Two years into the game’s release, no word on pre cursor crafting or even going back to a possible scavenger hunt. Something that has been asked for repeatedly over the last two years, and we have received little to no information.

2. Super Adventure Box – A nice break from the real game and something that many people enjoy, if only for the awesome skins. According to this interview, it doesn’t fit the “narrative structure” aka Living Story and does not sound like its coming back. Another way that Living Story seems to be killing things that people love about the game.

3. Immersion breaking – Living Story has changed the face of Tyria and when newer players traverse the world, they feel like it is destroying immersion. Arenanet is taking a “shoot first and ask questions later” approach. Break immersion, and then evaluate it? Really?

What do you guys think? Or if you have watched the interview, thoughts on other pieces?

1. they are working on it. There were some data-mined images a few months ago. Maybe they fell that its to easy/hard. Maybe we will get it one of those days. Personaly not a big deal to me. If you have the time to get all the mats for the legendary i think you can get the precursor.

2. They say it does not fit into the story. I made a thread that you should watch wooden potatoes to get some perspective on the interview.

Basicly they stated that SAB does not fit into the living story. And i agree. It would be out of lace to link it into the story itself. What could we do whit the SAB to defeat the dragons ? Maybe there is a secret in the code ? Well we have lot of ancient magic to get that knowlage from. Hovewer a SAB like sistem could run a dragon battle simulation. Minecraft dragon fight.

But i agree with so many players SAB should make a return during a brake or live story part, just not linked to the story. Even if there would be no new content.
The other thing is that the interview was wit two devs that did not work on SAB. And i pretty much doubd that every one has a knowlage what is being worked on in any given momen.

3. This is kind of a emersion brake. Personally its kinda fun. It makes no sence sometimes. But if you could imagine the undead atack being after the fall of lions, it makes perfect sence. It was kind of a bother wen the la was ful of miasmas, but now it kinda works. I mean yes the city is thrashed, and many people are bothered by everyday events in a broken down city like kids playing, pople waling around and well everything they did before the catasrohy. But again after wors people did those things. Yes it took a lot of efford to clear things up and there were conceqvences but daily lives go on, and so does LA, yes its broken to the ground but there is live again in it. Shure there would be a way to make copies of maps, but it would take a lot of time to make. And it would even more emergion braking. One moment you stand in broken LA the next moment its fixed. Plus it looks like the orrians are attacking because of all the destrociton.

4. There is no 4 but i go for it. Recently there was a spike in Arena net comunication. Its not the sam way it was in seasson 1, but its getting better. I miss speculation of devs whit us about hints and posible lore related details. I think that they are on the new ground whit boat live story and comunication whit the comunity, personaly i dont know a game that actualy listens to players other than arena net. And in the case of the interview people hate the “we cant discouse what we are doing” because it kinda fells like we are not doing anything in that direction or we dont care. But i think we could not be further from the truth. Next time maybe when asked what you guys are doing at this moment. Maybe insted of we cant discous this, they could desribe the general direction or something. Like we are doing some interesting thinks and experimenting whit some mechanich, so i hope we can present it to the players soon. Or, currently we are working on some fun things and i hoppe the players will like it as much as i do when released.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Are you kidding me?You know the search function isn’t working.Stop talking nunsense.

And to the OP i will say that i’m really disapointed from Anet.Right now i will make atleast 6 months break from the game.If the game keeps this direction of divelopment i may not even return at all.Untill Anet starts adding more actuall content to the WvW/PvP/ dungeons and stops focusing so much on the LS there won’t be anything for me and my friends to do here.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: revodeel.2651

revodeel.2651

1. I agree players have been asking for this and to my knowledge, no real response from Anet. So can’t argue with you there.

2. There are breaks between the living world. To assume that because they aren’t reintroducing SAB right now then they are never going to bring back doesn’t make much sense. It just means they aren’t bringing it back right now. Also, how is the living world killing things that players love? I’m interested to hear.

3. This is ridiculous. The living world is changing the face of Tyria and that “breaks” immersion? Really? What exactly do you think the living world is?

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Guild Mag Interview

Ayrilana.1396

@ Ice of Dragons:

How does the WvW tournament fit within the living story? What good can fighting in the mists do to help with the fight against the dragons?

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

This was discussed AD NAUSEUM in another big merged thread. Just had to make your own, eh?

Right that’s what I was thinking. And as to his #2 how about all those millions who contributed to this game being one of the fastest sold games out there who actually like me bought the game specifically because it originally wasn’t going to be all about the dungeons! He forgot that didn’t he, then Nov 2012 happened and you know what people like OP told the rest of us, “This game just isn’t for you” well here it is back at yeah OP, this game isn’t for you, “go play something else quit QQing” the other thing casuals heard all the time in November in every forum out there. Now his buddies have moved on and the stragglers are trying desperately to keep the game as it is when the writing is on the wall (something we all told Anet when the Nov announcements came along) that “hardcore marathon man” players seldom stay with a title for long and therefore the cost of the content updates for said players is too high for the short term growth the game will experience.

I have to laugh at #3 though. Immersion breaking would be the world NOT changing during major events like when I played World of Warcraft Cataclysm an expansion where the lore told the players it was very dangerous to go out into the world because cultists and or the dragon could kill us at any time but the world was so stagnant that it didn’t really immerse you into the narrative of fear or danger.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

@ Ice of Dragons:

How does the WvW tournament fit within the living story? What good can fighting in the mists do to help with the fight against the dragons?

Remember when elements of the LS started to show up in WvW? Remember Edge of the Mists?

Now, want to guess where one of the Elder Dragons will run to before our final fight against it? There’s nothing keeping it from fleeing to the Eternal Battlegrounds, and doing so will tie WvW in with the LS even more. You know they’re at least considering it…

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Guild Mag Interview

cesmode.4257

Right that’s what I was thinking. And as to his #2 how about all those millions who contributed to this game being one of the fastest sold games out there who actually like me bought the game specifically because it originally wasn’t going to be all about the dungeons! He forgot that didn’t he, then Nov 2012 happened and you know what people like OP told the rest of us, “This game just isn’t for you” well here it is back at yeah OP, this game isn’t for you, “go play something else quit QQing” the other thing casuals heard all the time in November in every forum out there. Now his buddies have moved on and the stragglers are trying desperately to keep the game as it is when the writing is on the wall (something we all told Anet when the Nov announcements came along) that “hardcore marathon man” players seldom stay with a title for long and therefore the cost of the content updates for said players is too high for the short term growth the game will experience.

I have to laugh at #3 though. Immersion breaking would be the world NOT changing during major events like when I played World of Warcraft Cataclysm an expansion where the lore told the players it was very dangerous to go out into the world because cultists and or the dragon could kill us at any time but the world was so stagnant that it didn’t really immerse you into the narrative of fear or danger.

I honestly have no idea what youre talking about. I do know that I did not buy this game for dungeon crawling, like you. I was pretty agitated at the way fractals were introduced initially. I think this game could and should be well rounded in terms of development attention(open world content, QoL systems, dungeons, WvW and PVP, etc). So really I dont know what youre basing your assumptions about me on… I dont like to run dungeons day in and out either.

And immersion breaking…I haven’t leveled a character since LA was destroyed, for example. But if I did start a character and going through my personal story when I meet all of the NPCs in LA…wouldn’t Lion’s Arch still be standing in my personal story, without any issues? And then when I exit the personal story blip, LA goes back to being destroyed? <shrugs> Things like that sort of break immersion.

Guild Mag Interview

Ice of Dragons.1637

@ Ice of Dragons:

Well you just proved my point. WvW updates have nothing to do whit the story. Nether does the tournament. It would be silly if the story would be we need a superior mist escence or something from the mist to kill the dragons, so lets all have a turnament and let tyria alone for a mounth. It would make no sense. However, they did include the mist map, but the story vent that the pirates fled there. And thats it, it was so short and well has no reall concequences till now. Still the mist is an arcane place that its easily written into the story. In my opinion the SAB should come out sometimes durring the seasson. But more like did u hear the SAB opened again ? You should check it out when you have some time. Not we nead wenture into SAB to find a way to destroy the dragon. Except they will similate a cube dragon then i would love to see it. I really enoy SAB and it should return.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Please try searching before you post something like this. “Guild” turns up 0 results, “Interview” turns up 0 results, “Mesmer” turns up 1 result.

The search function does not work.

Edit: I searched this forum. Other forums return different results, but it’s clear that it isn’t returning even a fraction of what it should.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Yeah, as I mentioned previously, the re-opening of SAB seems like something a governing body, especially one like the Arcane Council, might actually want right now.

Attachments:

The table is a fable.

Guild Mag Interview

Ayrilana.1396

@ Ice of Dragons:

Well you just proved my point. WvW updates have nothing to do whit the story. Nether does the tournament. It would be silly if the story would be we need a superior mist escence or something from the mist to kill the dragons, so lets all have a turnament and let tyria alone for a mounth. It would make no sense. However, they did include the mist map, but the story vent that the pirates fled there. And thats it, it was so short and well has no reall concequences till now. Still the mist is an arcane place that its easily written into the story. In my opinion the SAB should come out sometimes durring the seasson. But more like did u hear the SAB opened again ? You should check it out when you have some time. Not we nead wenture into SAB to find a way to destroy the dragon. Except they will similate a cube dragon then i would love to see it. I really enoy SAB and it should return.

Pretty much. I personally found them including the story elements within EotM as them trying to force it to be part of the living story. It’s not like the same can’t be done for anything else. I think a lot of people may feel that while their answer wasn’t necessarily wrong, it was just incomplete.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

ANET, when do we get a forum-user block feature? Will it be before or after the search function is fixed?

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Guild Mag Interview

moiraine.2753

Sorry but i strongly disagree with you.Right now Anet have forgotten about WvW/PvP/Dungeons/Open world raid bosses and have thrown all their resources in the LS and festivals/events like Fotfw or Mad king.From 5 things that have to be worked on Anet are focussing all their resourcer only on 1….I just don’t have words.They have 250 developers and is that all they can do?1/5th of the game?!?!?!

From two years they are giving barely the minimum atention to the WvW and PvP comunity.When PvP is concerned one of the developers said THIS .Also instead of adding maps they are deleting them.In my gaming history thit is the 1st time an MMO is deleting maps.

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Guild Mag Interview

cesmode.4257

ANET, when do we get a forum-user block feature? Will it be before or after the search function is fixed?

But if you got to know me you’d like me!!! Dont block me! My voice needs to be heard!

Guild Mag Interview

Ice of Dragons.1637

Sorry but i strongly disagree with you.Right now Anet have forgotten about WvW/PvP/Dungeons/Open world raid bosses and have thrown all their resources in the LS and festivals/events like Fotfw or Mad king.From 5 things that have to be worked on Anet are focussing all their resourcer only on 1….I just don’t have words.They have 250 developers and is that all they can do?1/5th of the game?!?!?!

From two years they are giving barely the minimum atention to the WvW and PvP comunity.When PvP is concerned one of the developers said THIS .Also instead of adding maps they are deleting them.In my gaming history thit is the 1st time an MMO is deleting maps.

Where did u read that they will delete stuff ? They stated that they do not know what will they do whit the sky hamere. But they will not delete it.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

It’s funny that A.Net talks about immersion when they turn charrs into dragon ball characters with dogfaces.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Where did u read that they will delete stuff ? They stated that they do not know what will they do whit the sky hamere. But they will not delete it.

They deleted one of the maps rather than balancing the underwater combat.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

How exactly would that work? The post is hidden from your view, and any post quoting that post is… ? Nonsense request, that function is inappropriate for forum structure.

Yes, I’m aware you were just being passive aggressive and probably didn’t mean it.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Guild Mag Interview

moiraine.2753

Raid on Cparicon has been removed from the game already.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

How exactly would that work? The post is hidden from your view, and any post quoting that post is… ? Nonsense request, that function is inappropriate for forum structure.

Yes, I’m aware you were just being passive aggressive and probably didn’t mean it.

Basically every forum I know has this function. If you quote someone who quoted a blocked person it gave you the option to display the message.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Basically every forum I know has this function. If you quote someone who quoted a blocked person it gave you the option to display the message.

It’s a genuine request, and would function exactly as this fine user has stated. I’m not being passive-aggressive, and I’d probably only use it on a handful of people, but I’d start with people who tell people to use the utterly useless search function.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Guild Mag Interview

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

As far as the living story breaking immersion for new players, I think at a certain point you have to prioritize the experience of veteran players over the experience of newcomers. While I’m sure there are people who are still buying the game, they surely are in the minority, and their experience shouldn’t trump one of the GW2’s better features: a living and changing world. Especially because the personal story is one of the weakest features of Guild Wars. As it stands I think there’s already too much in the game that can’t change in order to maintain the structure of hearts and the personal story. Removing the few (in most cases temporary) changes made to the game like the destruction of Lion’s Arch would be a big mistake.

As far as SAB is concerned, I’m not at all surprised it’s on hiatus this year, but it does concern me. It has been one of the more divisive features added to the game. Last year the forums were filled with people complaining about it returning, although I thought most of those complaints unjustified. SAB tends to be incredibly popular with a certain segment of the gaming population who see it as nostalgic fun, and incredibly unpopular with another segment who see it as childish and a waste of resources. I never really cared either way, but its not surprising that Anet would try to avoid controversy by letting it rest for a year. For whatever reason Anet seems to be in defensive mode lately, pulling back on public announcements and not reintroducing controversial features. Not necessarily a good sign I think, and it concerns me a bit.

Guild Mag Interview

cesmode.4257

Anyone who is an avid forum goer here can view my post history and understand my disdain toward living story.

Arenanet doesn’t help matters when they disregard immersion and abandon other aspects of the game(such as dungeons, open world PVE, etc), in favor of Living Story. Now that Living Story is here to stay, full throttle, its tapping into current areas of the game and causes a bit of confusion(considering immersion).

I understand they are heavily invested into LS, but at what point do they take a step back and realize that for a lot of people LS has been more of a headache.(I know the forums represent a small % of the population…I know, please dont come in here and say "well you dont speak for everyone). And I have to imagine that LS has been a major headache for Arenanet as well. Hell, there was a good majority of a CDI discussion about it. Its a hot topic. Very controversial. Something both camps are very passionate about. At what point is enough is enough? Its causing too much headache, too much explanation?

Is everything else expendable, or secondary/tertiary just so that Living Story can see the light of day?