Guild Message of The Day

Guild Message of The Day

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vulfgar.8735

Vulfgar.8735

Greetings,

Advertising Guild Events today includes a lot of Guild Chat Spamming, whispering and relying on people to read the block of Text by pressing G (which is mostly used for Guild Info, ts, website, time of GM’s on such).

I’ve seen in many other mmo’s the feature Guild Message of The Day. Where when you log into the game or represent a guild a message pops up in Guild Chat containing advertising for fx: Guild Missions on Sunday, Don’t Forget about PvP Night, Raids tonight @ 9pm etc.

My idea is to change the current “Message of the Day” which is in the Guild Panel to just “Guild Info” .. and let us create a 50-150 word “Message of the Day” which pops up in Guild Chat for you to see every time you log in or represent a guild.
- ( It should not pop up for everyone to see, that would just cause immense spam instead just to the person that is logging in or representing the Guild)

If you get me
(not sure if I posted in the right place)

Tell me what you think ? !

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Pumillion.2519

Pumillion.2519

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

On the one hand I think it’s a good idea, it would make it more noticeable.

On the other hand I’ve played games that use that system and in all honesty there’ still only about a 50% chance I’ll read the message. If I’m slow to load in and map or guild chat is busy it might be off the screen before I see it, or my mind will be on what I want to do when I log in and I won’t even look at the chat box until some time later.

It would probably help, but I don’t think it’s a fool-proof system. IMO the best way to get the message out about guild events is either to hold them at a regular time so people get to know when they are or to talk about them regularly when lots of people are on.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I would like it alot, I have thought about it but never hit me to write about it on forums. A good post OP!

Most people in my Guild doesn’t or rather didn’t know that ‘the message of the day’ existed until I told them to look at it now and then… But they still don’t.

Also as a Guild leader of a big guild I would like to see when guild members logs in. At the moment my friend list is filled with guild members just so I can see when they log in. I would like to have my friend list for my friends only not fill it with everyone just to see that they log online.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Flurdy.2831

Flurdy.2831

Yes please! Members usually don’t read the guild message/don’t even know it exists.

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: dom.2748

dom.2748

No thanks, I dont need to be bombarded with guild information every time I log on. If I am interested in the guild information pop open your guild tab.

Guild Message of The Day

EdgarMTanaka.7291

No thanks, I dont need to be bombarded with guild information every time I log on. If I am interested in the guild information pop open your guild tab.

It’s not like you get bombed.

Regular Guild invitation messages that pops up on the map chat, People calling events, people asking for help and random discussions on the chat is what will bombard your chat.

This message will pop up once everytime when you log in with a character and maby also when the Message of the day is updated. Is that Bombarded?

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: MuffinMan.3285

MuffinMan.3285

I always thought this was a good idea, and they had this in the original Guild Wars.

That being said, they probably wont implement it, because you know, they want nothing to do with the original game.

WvW isnt fun anymore :(

Guild Message of The Day

dom.2748

Regular Guild invitation messages that pops up on the map chat, People calling events, people asking for help and random discussions on the chat is what will bombard your chat.

This message will pop up once everytime when you log in with a character and maby also when the Message of the day is updated. Is that Bombarded?

Yes it is, Every time I switch a character another window to close. Every time I log in another window to close. If you want to see your guilds message of the day press G, it isn’t that hard. I don’t understand how pressing one key to look at MOTD without removing choice of not looking at it 50 times a day from other players is hard.

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

Yes it is, Every time I switch a character another window to close. Every time I log in another window to close. If you want to see your guilds message of the day press G, it isn’t that hard. I don’t understand how pressing one key to look at MOTD without removing choice of not looking at it 50 times a day from other players is hard.

how about not another window to close. instead the short, twitter sized message of the day appears in your chat log at the top, just as a system message would appear. nothing to close, nothing in the way, and it’s already using an existing interface.

in the original guild wars, it only appeared the first time you logged on from starting the program. if you went to the log in screen to swap toons, you would not see the message again. if you closed the program entirely and then logged on, you would see the message.

it should be different from guild info (teamspeak, server info, weekly/daily events on a schedule) it should be, literally, a message of the day. “Join us in Caledon Forest for a JP Race at reset!” Something like that, would make guild management so easy.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I would like this and I would like it to appear in the chat box. Not an additional pop up anywhere. It should appear in the chat box when you log in and/or start repping a guild.

Give us an option for “guild messages” in the chat panel so folks can toggle it on/off or make a new tab just for that.

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I support the change and at the same time, I don’t think it will resolve the issues the OP expects it to. I can guarantee two things:

• Every guild leader wants this feature (although some want a toggle for it).
  • 90% of guild members will ignore it 90% of the time in 90% of guilds.

Like any recurring message, people will start to ignore it unless it’s changed frequently. And most leaders aren’t willing to change it more often than a few times a month.

I’d prefer to see a unified “guild info” tab for members, with sub tabs that are individually editable by the GL. Officers would then help teach guildies to read these messages before asking questions in guild chat. Those sub tabs would be things that nearly all guilds want their members to know:

• VoIP details — how to connect to comms.
  • Website details.
  • Repeat Events — things the guild does at same time each week (ideally, converting to the same time zone the user selected in game options)
  • One-time events — special events.
  • Message of the day — actual text message (silly or serious).
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Guild Message of The Day

Vulfgar.8735

Nobody said anything about a window popping up.

We want the ability to write a short message containing the information/reminder/advertising about the next event the Guild is Hosting. In your Chat Box ! When you log on or change representation of guilds.

I attached a picture to make an example !

(I made a character called : Guild System .. Just to show you an example of how it would work .. .. it shows a reminder of a JP Event thats going to happen the next day .. then it shows how the message would look like the next day)

The Better Advertising tools we have, the better. People will not forget, more people will show up and we will have a lot more fun ^^

Attachments:

Guild Message of The Day

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Lol… I am sorry but the message should not pop up as a window XD We where speaking about how it works in other MMO’s and if I remember correct it’s in GW1 too.

To the point, the message is displayed in the chat window just like someone have wrote something in the chat to you as you where logging in. No extra window that you have click on for it to vanish. It is just a simple chat message where it says for example ‘Message of the day: Good day guild, today we will have a blast doing raids at 1800!’

Edit: What poster above me said and shows very well too

Guild Message of The Day

Vulfgar.8735

I’d prefer to see a unified “guild info” tab for members, with sub tabs that are individually editable by the GL. Officers would then help teach guildies to read these messages before asking questions in guild chat. Those sub tabs would be things that nearly all guilds want their members to know:

• VoIP details — how to connect to comms.
  • Website details.
  • Repeat Events — things the guild does at same time each week (ideally, converting to the same time zone the user selected in game options)
  • One-time events — special events.
  • Message of the day — actual text message (silly or serious).

I’d like this too + the Guild Message of the Day login message :D

Like I said before .. What you mentioned above is all squished into the current “Message of the Day” .. It’s a block of Text .. with TS Servers, Events and General Information about the guild.

For my part, I’d activate our Staff Members to change the “Message of the Day” every day depending on what Event is next ..

Guild Message of The Day

dom.2748

Lol… I am sorry but the message should not pop up as a window XD We where speaking about how it works in other MMO’s and if I remember correct it’s in GW1 too.

To the point, the message is displayed in the chat window just like someone have wrote something in the chat to you as you where logging in. No extra window that you have click on for it to vanish. It is just a simple chat message where it says for example ‘Message of the day: Good day guild, today we will have a blast doing raids at 1800!’

Edit: What poster above me said and shows very well too

It is still spamming every time you log into a character though or switch guilds. It would at the very least need to have a guild message option in the chat window so I can hide it because I am not kittened and know how to press G. Basically if your guild members are too lazy to press G to read what is going on that day in your guild then maybe your guild sucks.

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Definitely not every login. First time after that message has changed, sure, that might be a good idea.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Pumillion.2519

Pumillion.2519

This is needed so badly

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Flurdy.2831

Flurdy.2831

I’d think once upon account login would be enough, it won’t show up when you change characters but atleast it’ll show up once whenever a person logged in.

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Following up now that this is in the game (longer motd, pops up when you first rep or change rep).

So far, people are just as unlikely to read the message as they were before. Some have even expressed annoyance that changing rep spams their chat box and forces them to scroll up to read missed chatter.

It hasn’t addressed the central issue of making it easier for members to see critical info and when it changes.

What I would have preferred:

• a new subtab with sections for the appropriate details (as mentioned above: voip, upcoming dates, etc).
  • a single line in chat that would only say the date that the info changed, e.g. “Guild Server info changed two days ago” (instead of spamming the entire motd with any typo fix).

tl;dr we need to be more careful about how we ask for changes, not just what we ask for.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Guild Message of The Day

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

I’d think once upon account login would be enough, it won’t show up when you change characters but atleast it’ll show up once whenever a person logged in.

the issue with this is that not all characters on an account may be repping the same guild(characters that mainly pvp: pvp guild, wvw characters: wvw guild, pve characters: pve guild)

as such i fully understand why it’s a per character thing and not an account login.

providing 2 seperate MOTD boxes would be the best option imo… one for permanent guild info (such as weekly schedule, TS3 info, etc) and then one for an actual MOTD for any updates (todays dungeon runs cancelled, missions being held this evening, etc) that is shorter and the one that is spammed in chat when logging in/repping that guild