Guild Wars 1 10 years aniversary

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mahri.8410

mahri.8410

Next year, on 26 april, Guild Wars 1 will reach its first decade…10 years in which we had pretty much fun. Because Guild Wars 1 had an important role for Arena.Net, as well as for the Guild Wars 2 Lore, it would be nice to have some aniversary content for it. Some bonus missions would be really nice. It has passed 10 years, 10 years in which Arena.Net has provided high quality entertainment for the masses. It’s a good thing for a company to survive 10 years in an industry where most of the game studios did not last even 3. This prooves again the high quality of their games and their high support for the gaming comunity. Thanks Anens.Net for all fun we had so far and altough we are 5 months before aniversary, Happy Birthday.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Thanks for the note, mahri. Guild Wars is a great game — I love it, as I can see you do!

The actual official release date was April 28th (as it was for Guild Wars: Factions) and it’s a day that we all keep in our hearts, as it was the start of something BIG for all of us at ArenaNet. (I can see from the date you mention that you were in the early start, so thank you for being an early believer in our company. <3 )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

Thanks for the note, mahri. Guild Wars is a great game — I love it, as I can see you do!

The actual official release date was April 28th (as it was for Guild Wars: Factions) and it’s a day that we all keep in our hearts, as it was the start of something BIG for all of us at ArenaNet. (I can see from the date you mention that you were in the early start, so thank you for being an early believer in our company. <3 )

Does ANET have anything special planned for the 10th anniversary? or should I goto guildwars.com and keep hitting F5? :P

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Does ANET have anything special planned for the 10th anniversary? or should I goto guildwars.com and keep hitting F5? :P

We’ll find out on April 14th (28-(2*7)).

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Whatever they do, I hope it is something that captures the rich lore and history of their GW World. There’s a lot of creative and imaginative work gone into the franchise and this would be the perfect date to celebrate that.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Oh, that’s right! In the span of a single year ArenaNet released 2 standalone games for the GW franchise. Dang. Makes me really wish that type of release was in play for GW2. I really hope for some sort of 10 year anniversary event in GW2. It would be great. heck, better yet would be a Cantha expansion on the same date for GW2!

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

r.i.p

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

I miss GW1, elegant to perfection! If graphics would be the same as GW2, GW2 would not be even worth mention ROFL.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

If graphics would be the same as GW2, GW2 would not be even worth mention ROFL.

Considering the game is approaching 10 years old, the graphics have aged surprisingly well — especially in Eye of the North and the latter parts of the game. It may lack all the high res textures and eye candy of a modern game, but it still looks pretty decent.

Posted by: DonRobeez.3560

DonRobeez.3560

Too bad you left that behind.

Infested Kerrigan I [TaG]
Gunnar’s Hold
Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GloryKittens

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

It’d be nice if something was done in GW2 to recognize the decade anniversary of GW1, or something in GW1 itself beyond the automated birthday anniversary fireworks.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: drowze.3709

drowze.3709

Maybe they waited with the release of an expansion for the 10 year anniversary… don’t flame me for having hope^^

Posted by: KINGRPG.3492

KINGRPG.3492

So When will we see the GW3?

Sorry for my beginner English / http://www.kingrpg.net My Blog

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

What if they announced an expansion on that day…just saying, sounds like something Anet would do. Nostalgia tripp to the max.

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

ooh ooh ooh , for the ten years anniversary I have a great idea,

deep in the eye of the north Gwen awakes ,
A strange dream she has had about the future,
dragons and people yet born,
She shakes off this strange feeling and with that heads back inside,
as she enters GW2 is transform back into GW1 and then the Murasat attack by unleashing the dragons as they are the true masters of Tyria .

Well lol sounded good in my head .
Anyways looking forward to the Ten year mark too see what the team comes up with.

cheers

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

That’s great! I dare say nothing would make us players rejoice more than having GW revert back to its original prophecies/factions/nightfall state for a week or two(regarding individual skill functions – basicaly how skills used to be on their initial implementation, minus the few gamebreaking bugs).
/drool

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: Doctor Faustus.6372

Doctor Faustus.6372

expansion for gw2 confirmed! got you!

[vC] Doctor Faustus.6372

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

R.I.P.

You are missed.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

….the game isn’t dead, far from it so why all the R.I.P.?

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

I thought someone from the company said they have something special in mind for the gw1 10th anny…

Was it a lie? Or did that came form the people that don’t work in the company anymore…

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

GW 1 release date: April 28, 2005. GW 2 release date: August 28, 2012. I see a trend here.

My account is about as old as the game in GW 1, but I don’t have any day 1 characters anymore on GW 1.

I really don’t care what goes on in GW 1 anymore. I had my GWAMM and my 50/50 HOM for 3 years now. I’m long gone from GW 1. All the power to the devs for making a big celebrations!

I rather have something huge here like, Cantha or the Tengu area be opened. Or the Pavilion opened all year long, or even Housing finally!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

….the game isn’t dead, far from it so why all the R.I.P.?

It is if you’re playing for dungeons, WvW, PvP, etc and have run the existing content to death.

If you’re playing to max out your AP and zergtag in open world PvE, then the game is alive and well.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

As I recall (possibly incorrectly), they announced the GW2 release date of August 28 on April 28, 2012. The rejoicing was intense thanks to the raves coming out of the alpha demos. Though … maybe it was the first BWE on April 28, 2012? Whichever, they certainly used the day well.

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

i dont see any connection between gw1 10 year anniversary and opening cantha or tengu zones in gw2…

gw1 10 year anniversary should be celebrated in gw1 mainly… gw2 can have some 10 year anniversary gem shop hats…

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

i dont see any connection between gw1 10 year anniversary and opening cantha or tengu zones in gw2…

gw1 10 year anniversary should be celebrated in gw1 mainly… gw2 can have some 10 year anniversary gem shop hats…

Shhhuuussshhh!

We’ll take whatever new stuff we can get for whatever reason.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Perhaps the 10th anniversary will be the day they restore Lion’s Arch! Pleaeaeaeaese!

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

I find myself going back to play GW1 more and more. A time when Anet really knew how to make a game fun. If/when my wife comes back to that realization, we’ll be able to bid this one farewell.

SBI

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

UW and Fow will be released in gw2 on that day.
Anet secretly has been working on it for the last 2 years and we will finally have some super challenging end game content. #hype28thApril2015!

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

Shhhuuussshhh!

We’ll take whatever new stuff we can get for whatever reason.

Yeah, can’t really agree more. Giving content to a game dosn’t need reasons at all, just give us more, more and MORE! We gamers are always hungry.

Posted by: brokenrabbit.6538

brokenrabbit.6538

Would be great if they made Prophesies FTP. Would breathe some life back into the game and move some expansions as well (especially EoTN).

I miss the dance parties in Spamadon. :-(

Posted by: Poisonwell.1209

Poisonwell.1209

If you guys really love the game as same we do, please update at least www.guildwars.com

• Broken links
  • Only works at english
  • A error message that ask you for update your flash player..

I have 2 request for this on support@guildwars.zendesk.com # 91237 and 95659

It is really frustrating for any new player or even worst for the old ones check your favorite game with an outdated website that it seems nobody cares, remember GW1 were the game that made GW2 and Anet what it is today.

I dont expect any new mission or events I just want that you do not leave this site abandoned.

Thanks

So sorry for my bad english

Posted by: Poisonwell.1209

Poisonwell.1209

Would be great if they made Prophesies FTP. Would breathe some life back into the game and move some expansions as well (especially EoTN).

I miss the dance parties in Spamadon. :-(

That is a great idea, at least Prophecies F2P really make the game alive again.

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

Hey guys check out their twitter it seems as though they’ve actually added a few things like tokens for the 10th anniversary!

https://twitter.com/guildwars

Randulf.7614

Im hoping for a big party crowd in LA or Kamadan. Be nice to get the community together one last time.

Perhaps a simultaneous party in LA 250 years later in GW2 as well!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

At least they are having their usual celebration there. I do wish though, they had a celebration this year in this game for the 10 year anniversary.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Randulf.7614

At least they are having their usual celebration there. I do wish though, they had a celebration this year in this game for the 10 year anniversary.

Might still happen!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Might still happen!

It would be nice but I doubt it. In Guild Wars 1 they celebrate that game’s birthday with special events, quests and mobs drop items such as birthday cupcakes. There are fireworks and decorated towns. What do they do in this game to celebrate Guild Wars 2’s birthday? A big, fat nothing. I’m expecting the same for the 10 year anniversary.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aviate.1376

Aviate.1376

its time to log on after 10 years.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Many fond memories in GW1. I would love to see a big Anet sponsored event happen. Count me in.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’ve been playing Guild Wars 1 just about every day since I re-discovered it back in November, and I’ll be there again when I get off of work in a little over an hour.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Whatever they do, I hope it is something that captures the rich lore and history of their GW World. There’s a lot of creative and imaginative work gone into the franchise and this would be the perfect date to celebrate that.

Nope, new gemstore outfit that no one wants. Congrats!

Posted by: torakun.9638

torakun.9638

They have added new weapons. Looks sweet! The green weapons are all unique (literally). You can dual wield axes and swords!!

Check it out guys (that still liking GW1 of course)!

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

oooh i want some retro gw1 skins in the gem store, or a whole new craftable set of gw1 gear ? yea i kno u want me to buy gems i wont get my hopes up for the crafting…..buuuuut either way: amethyst aegis pl0x? with its original skin of course none of that re-imagining that we used on the tormented maul

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

free precusor incoming boyz

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

I like that they are adding incentives to play through the missions. Haven’t had time to log in yet due to rl stuff, but I am so looking forward to grouping up again with people for some nostalgic runs.