Guild Wars 2: Best Aprils Fools for an MMO?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Let’s start the guesses here as to what other games have and to what’s the top. I mean, for Guild Wars 2 they have an 8-bit Mario-esque jumping puzzle style thing. It even has an “Infantile Mode” somewhat poking fun at those that can’t do jumping puzzles, yet still want to do most of the content (rainbows and laughing clouds included). In fact, I think the whole thing was designed as a joke about those that kept saying that this is an MMORPG and “not Mario”, thinking that Arena Net went overboard with the jumping in this game.

So, guestimates are as follows (all guesses that may be fake or truly happen. Will update if they actually happen or something else happens entirely):

— Blizzard has fake WoW patch notes with short video and “screenshots” of a made up class, new abilities, and their ‘next expansion’. Nothing related to Pandas, seeing as that joke has become reality. [related note: Starcraft II and Diablo III might see similar “pranks” on their associated sites as well]
UPDATE: Prior to posting I already found a rather lame attempted April Fools joke: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/9369235/Situation_Report_--_April_1_2013-3_31_2013

—NCSoft announces resurrection of Tabula Rasa and the rehire of Richard Garriott

—Planetside 2 changes all guns to wooden slingshots.

—Star Wars: The Old Republic announces it’s shutting down to relaunch Star Wars Galaxies (I wish!)

—Rift turns all it’s players into planar minions and all the planar minions into players.

—Trion announces that Defiance is delayed by 1 month (1 day prior to it’s launch..ha!)

But these are just what I think will happen. Still….unless it’s fully added, integrated content that celebrates goofy jokes with the player base like Guild Wars 2’s Super Adventure Box does, there’s no comparison.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

With most games, April Fools is limited to a forum post.

Some games have events.

This one has the be the most engaging I’ve seen yet.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Some of the old GW1 April Fool’s were classic…my favorites were the gender swap and Gwen doll ones…so I’d say expect cool stuff from ArenaNet on April 1 each year…

Posted by: phabby.8945

phabby.8945

guild wars devs have always had a great sense of humour with April fools days jokes , I loved the one when they turned everyone into stick figures lol

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I Liked the April Fools in GW1 when minatures were their normal size and people were miniature size hahaha.

Posted by: Murderin.8269

Murderin.8269

It wasn’t actually in game, but the WoW forums had a hilarious april fools joke that changed the wording on everyones post to something dramatic and RPish.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Forums_%22ArrPee%22_RP_Styling

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

I was totally unprepared for my first April Fool’s day in GW1, the gender swap. Not having a clue that they could and did do that, I spent quite a long time trying to figure out how I got hacked and why in the world did the hackers do nothing more than turn me into a woman. Then I noticed some of the chat and the joke was on me. I’ve loved April Fools in the GW universe ever since. And btw, the Gwen doll one gave me the creeps…

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

This is the biggest april fools thing I’ve ever seen.

It’s simply utter genius, the best retro cool 80s stuff I’ve seen in a while.

I mean compare it to what WoW is doing for example this april 1st, that’s so boring and unfun, it’s like their creativity and sense of fun was sucked out and stolen by Arenanet.

(edited by xiv.7136)

Posted by: Xae.7204

Xae.7204

GW2 really does have the best April fools joke in a long time.

I mean who else would spend 6 months screwing up PvP and class balance to the point where the game it self becomes a joke.

That level of dedication April fools is truly commendable!

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

I do miss the Guild Wars April Fools patch notes. We used to get them every year

Posted by: Drizzzle.5847

Drizzzle.5847

I am hoping they announce:

“JK!…here is yer quickness back!”

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

It wasn’t actually in game, but the WoW forums had a hilarious april fools joke that changed the wording on everyones post to something dramatic and RPish.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Forums_%22ArrPee%22_RP_Styling

Okay, interesting…ly lame. Sorry, but it’s still just text and type, nothing to hype. Guild Wars 2 had frogger frogs and 8-bit bunnies to kill!

Posted by: Xirin.8593

Xirin.8593

EverQuest replaces their character models with stick figures. Pretty good imo.

[AoN] All or Nothing

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

EverQuest replaces their character models with stick figures. Pretty good imo.

Gw1 did that years ago :p

Posted by: TheOtherTed.7032

TheOtherTed.7032

The best April Fools stunt I’ve seen was in WoW a few years ago (2008, maybe?), but it’s a little hard to explain. Basically, you’d start the launcher, there’d be a message saying that the servers had been taken offline to fix one of several issues, but that it should have been fixed approximately ten minutes before you started the game. You log in, and you’d get “hit” with precisely that issue in a surreal and sometimes unnerving way. Some examples:

• If the announcement was about security issues, when you tried to log in you’d get a message saying the account was already logged.
  • Announcement says that there were some stability issues with the chat system? You could log in, everything looks normal, but you’d see names sign in and out of user-made channels at random (along with randomly timed friend and guild notifications). If you tried to use chat, the client would “crash.”
  • Announcement about graphics issues with loading objects? You log in, everything seems normal (no other players), but if you turn around to look behind you, all you’d see is the underlying terrain. No towns, no trees, no mobs, nothing. Turn back around to the direction you were originally facing, and the objects you saw 5 seconds ago were no longer there either.

Took me a couple of tries until I realized I was happening – but then I kept logging in to see all the tricks. Apparently there were several people who never got it; the rage on the forums was epic, even by WoW standards. Couldn’t help answering some of them with “Working as intended”… :p

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Why do people keep comparing this to Mario? It has more elements from Zelda.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Why do people keep comparing this to Mario? It has more elements from Zelda.

Probably because of all the mario references from the bowser laugh at the beginning to the rainbow bridges and sentient clouds. Zelda was never a platforming game as far as I know but mario is.

That’s not to say you would be invalid comparing it to Zelda there is definitely enough to reasonably compare to both.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books