Guild Wars 2 By the numbers:

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

One word…. Wow.
(Discuss)

Attachments:

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The bottom image still upsets me greatly.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

I’m glad they’re doing so well. It means that we’ll continue to get free updates, and the content should continue to improve in quality. And soon we’ll get to see what the dev teams can do when they don’t have to spend so much time on reskining LA.

PS. Go Team Kiel.

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

Great to see those numbers, couple interesting ones there.
Good to see ArenaNet doing so good but I’m still hoping for more permanent content than this current living story.

As a side note; Just wondering what’s up with Risen Thralls killing so many people, they surely must be too overpowered :P

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

Posted by: Teva.2807

Teva.2807

I love number boards like this XD

Thieftix- Crystal Desert [CLAV] Commander (Aka sexiest thief on CD >:])

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Great to see those numbers, couple interesting ones there.
Good to see ArenaNet doing so good but I’m still hoping for more permanent content than this current living story.

As a side note; Just wondering what’s up with Risen Thralls killing so many people, they surely must be too overpowered :P

Well if things go as Colin said in July, in the “looking ahead 2013” blog the LS will be the way they introduce more perm content. The invasions are going to be a perm addition to the game (though at a much slower rate, no dev has said how frequently, but I guess every 3-4 hours like claw). Also with all of the festivals and holidays going to be repeated the dev team will have more time (not having to design a new zone or reskin LA) to design more perm things for the game.

For the Risen Thralls, my only thoughts on that are because for the first X months of the game most people just farmed Orr. That and the larger numbers of undead and a pretty fast respawn rate.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Risen Thralls?
The mob most bots got killed from I guess. :p

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

460k concurrent players is quite a bit…but as far as I remember that was just after the release. I don’t think it ever got near that in 2013.

Also they paid a company to calculate for them if they were the fastest selling MMO in the west….a bit dubious by itself but it was a calculation done over the first 9 months.

Numbers can be interesting but I prefer the context of the numbers with it. Obviously Anet want to focus on their main points (they wouldn’t put up any numbers on how many players quit or how many concurrent users there are today) and I can understand that seeing they want to impress China and revitalise some interest here because the game is barely stabilising after the usual downfall after a few months that pretty much every MMO has.

GW2 has made some impressive numbers left and right, that’s for sure but even though 460k players is perhaps more than there are inhabitants in Iceland, it’s also 0.0065% of the world population or not even 1.5% of the US population. So it’s all how you want to focus it really.

For an MMO it’s a lot. Quite impressive, but that number is almost a year old. So they are numbers but without a neutral context it’s just clever advertising, nothing more.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

460k concurrent players is quite a bit…but as far as I remember that was just after the release. I don’t think it ever got near that in 2013.

Also they paid a company to calculate for them if they were the fastest selling MMO in the west….a bit dubious by itself but it was a calculation done over the first 9 months.

Numbers can be interesting but I prefer the context of the numbers with it. Obviously Anet want to focus on their main points (they wouldn’t put up any numbers on how many players quit or how many concurrent users there are today) and I can understand that seeing they want to impress China and revitalise some interest here because the game is barely stabilising after the usual downfall after a few months that pretty much every MMO has.

GW2 has made some impressive numbers left and right, that’s for sure but even though 460k players is perhaps more than there are inhabitants in Iceland, it’s also 0.0065% of the world population or not even 1.5% of the US population. So it’s all how you want to focus it really.

For an MMO it’s a lot. Quite impressive, but that number is almost a year old. So they are numbers but without a neutral context it’s just clever advertising, nothing more.

I expect that one of the reasons we do not get number for people who quit is that, without subscriptions, it is kind of hard to know who quit. Some folks take some time off while others may indeed leave. Perhaps a decent proxy might be the number of people logged on at a given time or set of times each day or week over long periods. Again, not a perfect proxy but might help to better get sense of continuing engagement.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

I expect that one of the reasons we do not get number for people who quit is that, without subscriptions, it is kind of hard to know who quit. Some folks take some time off while others may indeed leave. Perhaps a decent proxy might be the number of people logged on at a given time or set of times each day or week over long periods. Again, not a perfect proxy but might help to better get sense of continuing engagement.

Well I don’t think any company gladly shares numbers like that. It’s still about context though. If you make a definition then you can use it as long as people know what the definition is.

I think that a player who hasn’t logged in for over a month isn’t active. That could be a definition.

Concurrency is a more interesting one in that sense as it tells you how many people are online at the same time. Sadly, we only have the 460k that the game had directly after the release a year ago…since then? Not a clue.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Fastest selling mmo in history – lol. Yes, due to the hype and only the hype. They sure like to flaunt that around at every chance they get.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

Haha Risen Thrall, you animal.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Well I don’t think any company gladly shares numbers like that. It’s still about context though. If you make a definition then you can use it as long as people know what the definition is.

I think that a player who hasn’t logged in for over a month isn’t active. That could be a definition.

Concurrency is a more interesting one in that sense as it tells you how many people are online at the same time. Sadly, we only have the 460k that the game had directly after the release a year ago…since then? Not a clue.

Yup…agree.

Posted by: Batdogi.7142

Batdogi.7142

Risen Thralls are bottom feeders. At least in my characters experiences. They’re the mob that kills me just as I escape from a different more badkitten mob. In the case of my mesmer I seem to cause them to spawn at my down spot.

“Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.”
? Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Risen thralls kill you, because they have a nasty poison do pretty hectic damage and come at you in ZERGS..

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

If there’s one thing no MMO has that ANet has, it’s their marketing division.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

The bottom image still upsets me greatly.

Yea that bottom number is a joke. Didn’t care for it at all either considering how people here voted many more times than once.