Guild Wars 2 New Player Review

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

Back in 2005 when World of Warcraft was all the rage, I was a freshman in high school thus had no job to pay for Warcraft’s monthly subscriptions. Because of this, I was the only one playing Guild Wars, which seemed to be the next best thing. I had a lot of fun on there, but after a year or so, I was finally allowed to play Warcraft and got sucked into how much more it offered. I played it, my friends played it, it was the game to play.

I pre ordered this game last year for old times sake and strangely enough, I was completely bored with it. I couldn’t quite figure it out, but there was something about the game that didn’t appeal to me as much as I wanted to, and shortly after, I just stopped playing.

After recently picking this game up again to give it a second chance, the game feels so fresh. I joined a guild and after playing with these new friends and guild mates, I realized my major problem with the game wasn’t the game play, it was the anti-social structure. Although quest encourage you to play together, nobody actually talked in the game which really hindered my experience in the long run.

Now that I decided to try it all over again, get a guild, try to make new friends, it’s been a lot more fun this time around. I didn’t even know that the items and pets I got from my old HoM on my Gw 1 account were pretty rare now such as the black widow so it was kinda cool I had some exclusives that followed me over.

Overall, I’m really glad this game finally turned me over. I wanted to like it, but the element of socializing was so sparse it kepts me from truly enjoying the game. Now, I can’t put it down.

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

I’m glad you’re back! However, I simply don’t understand how the social aspect turned you away from GW, but kept you in WoW…?

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

Gw2 still lacks abit of so called “social stickiness”.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Honestly, all online games are as social as you make them. If you actively seek to engage other people, you will find people to be responsive and friendly. I talk with people all the time (whether it’s just to tell them that I like how they’ve dyed their armor or to let them know there’s a champion in the area). People in this game are friendly.

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

Gw2 still lacks abit of so called “social stickiness”.

I disagree. It’s people who lack that, not the game in my opinion. While certain features could definitely be improved to aid that, I think it falls more on the players then the game itself.

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

I’m glad you’re back! However, I simply don’t understand how the social aspect turned you away from GW, but kept you in WoW…?

Have you ever played wow? And not just for “I tried it for 2hours and I didn’t like it, so I quit”, I mean for a longer time, atleast half a year.

You would understand what he ment about the social aspect of gw2 compared to WoW if you ever played wow.

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Honestly, all online games are as social as you make them. If you actively seek to engage other people, you will find people to be responsive and friendly. I talk with people all the time (whether it’s just to tell them that I like how they’ve dyed their armor or to let them know there’s a champion in the area). People in this game are Neutral.

fixt.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I havent been in a guild in 6 months and my friends list is empty. My real id is almost full in wow and have almost always been in a guild. Idk, but wow seems much more social to me. Might be that I can do all pve in gw2 without ever talking.

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

That’s a good question, keep in mind I like both WoW and Gw2, this is just comparing my personal experiences with both.

The social nature of WoW was much stronger, if I ever asked any question, requested help, looking for groups, etc. there were always people responding regardless of what time of the day I played. I made very good friends on there and it made it so much more enjoyable and kept me coming back.

Compare that to Guild Wars 2, the mechanics themselves really lean people towards working as a team, and the game itself is designed to be a more friendly MMO when it comes to playing together and interacting. The problem was that because of this, nobody was interested in talking anymore because they got credit just for showing up due to automatic grouping. They could just show up, fight and leave. I tried very hard to communicate with people and nobody would reply and even chat with others.

In some sort of strange way, WoW’s old mechanics forced people to communicate more, and it’s not the way that Guild Wars is designed, it’s how people are just interested in playing rather than making friends and making the game a better experience. After joining a guild in Guild Wars 2 a year later, I finally found people I talk normally with and it makes such a difference.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

I wouldnt mind if there was something in game to help facilitate social interaction better for people so painfully awkardly shy, aka me. I keep trying guilds, but only reason anyone in them talks to me is to yell at me for not ONLY repping them in a game that lets you be in 5 guilds. Hell, half the reason I go out of my way to help other players is in hopes of either friendship, or atleast a temporary teammate. (The other half is people should just help eachother). Main reason I love WvW is because I atleast feel part of a group.