Guild Wars 2 Population/Player Base

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Does anyone here know the current population (By that, number of players) Guild Wars 2 has right now? I checked wikipedia and they said the game sold about 2 million copies and that there are 400000 players playing concurrently. So, I’d just like to confirm if what Wikipedia says is true. And also I want to know how many players are currently playing Guild Wars 2.

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Wikipedia is not saying the truth, you can’t trust an open source site like this one. Anyone could put any fake number.

We can’t be so sure, but when you check the Worlds, most of them are Full/High and that means alot of players (iirc around 40k per server?, read that on reddit some time ago).

However with the free perma bans handled out here and there, we can expect the population to drop, slightly.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Nayru.4537

Nayru.4537

Yeah it only sold 2m copies, I would guess that there is less than 400k active players. More like 200k-300k. And let’s be real the population in this game doesn’t increase.

Yes – my name is Nayru and I am a guy – we play games too, get over it.

Posted by: Chrissle.8690

Chrissle.8690

Yeah it only sold 2m copies, I would guess that there is less than 400k active players. More like 200k-300k. And let’s be real the population in this game doesn’t increase.

All of which is speculation from your part. It might decrease, it might increase. Only ANet knows for sure.

Posted by: Varani.9207

Varani.9207

“Only” 2 million copies 2 weeks after release. GW2 is still in a lot of game charts. So they sold a lot more by now. A-Net hasn´t released any official sale numbers since September 13th. I´m curious about the sale numbers really.

Mondsucht [MS] Kodash Vragni – Ranger
Charrov – Engineer

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

Please don’t fall for the troll…@Varani and Chrissle.

To the OP: sadly there’s no way to be 100% sure about the current GW2 numbers. I was looking for a site similiar to wow-census but couldn’t find anything.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I’m surprised ANet isn’t boasting about concurrent users given how successful this game is.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Cowrex, those numbers are correct, but they are also very outdated, as they refer to the time shortly after launch.

Number of sold copies is significantly higher now, as the game has remained pretty high in sales rankings for the whole last quarter.
Concurrent player numbers are most likely lower now, as the 400k number was from launch time where players were logging on much more frequent and much longer than now.
Yes, both of those are just educated guesses. We simply do not have any more accurate numbers of how the player population is now.

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

I see. Thanks for all your input. I just wanted to check if Gw2 is still being played by a huge crowd. Well, in any case, It’s really fun playing it

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

If there were a lot of players, Anet would be announcing it. There was a time when they would boast, now the silence is very telling.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

If there were a lot of players, Anet would be announcing it. There was a time when they would boast, now the silence is very telling.

Not true at all. Given that current players has no relation to revenue (unlike subscription MMOs). What they will boast about is number of games sold, and number of micro-transactions, but that’s it.

Cheers.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Does anyone know what is their server capacity ?
If we could know max server capacity we could guess how much active players gw2 have.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Does anyone know what is their server capacity ?
If we could know max server capacity we could guess how much active players gw2 have.

Not sure it works that way with overflows…or the megaserver.

Vayne.8563

Categorically untrue. The number of concurrent users will always be highest around launch. People take time off for work for those types of things. They play for long hours.

Two years later you don’t keep the same schedule, even if the same number of people are playing, which is virtually impossible.

So the concurrency number two years later will be lower. Why boast about a lower number when you have a higher one.

I can’t think of many MMORPGS that have increasing concurrent populations.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Megaserver is not important.
We can assume if Full= 10k players
then Very full = 80% = 8k players
High=60% 6k players
And then (+) all the servers to know how much active People they have in europe and america, and all together.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

This speculation is pointless. You MIGHT be able to come close to figuring out how many active accounts exist, but that’s it. A FULL server could theoretically have NO players actually logging in and playing.

Anet will likely never provide any hard numbers beyond sales figures for Marketing purposes. No other MMO company does this either (and would you actually TRUST any numbers they put out?).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Megaserver is not important.
We can assume if Full= 10k players
then Very full = 80% = 8k players
High=60% 6k players
And then (+) all the servers to know how much active People they have in europe and america, and all together.

I don’t think this could would be very accurate for determining active players.

Here’s why:

Gaile Gray

…The population of a world is not the number then present at a specific time, but the total number affiliated with or living in that game world. Sort of like the population of Bellevue, Washington is a given number, even if many are away working in other cities during the work day.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Change-server/first#post4232083

And nice necro…lol.

Posted by: Akrib.4297

Akrib.4297

Would be interesting if they had a current online players that showed wen you logged on. First time I saw it was Eve Online, I’m guessing people would begin to complain about the game being “dead” every time the numbers drops a little.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I’m sorry to sound snide, but who cares? What good will it do any of us to know that information?

Play the game and be happy with it or not.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Here’s the official numbers at the first year mark:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-the-first-year/

• 3,500,000 games sold
  • 460,000 players online at one time
  • 1,000,000,000+ Trading post transactions
  • 23,470,844 caravans destroyed
  • 471,583,637 times players have revived other players
  • 1,300,000,000 events triggered
  • 8,600,000 votes cast in Cutthroat politics release

With the 2nd anniversary approaching I imagine we’ll be seeing some updated numbers soon!

Vayne.8563

Wikipedia is not saying the truth, you can’t trust an open source site like this one. Anyone could put any fake number.

We can’t be so sure, but when you check the Worlds, most of them are Full/High and that means alot of players (iirc around 40k per server?, read that on reddit some time ago).

However with the free perma bans handled out here and there, we can expect the population to drop, slightly.

Until you login and find crickets on most of them even with megaserver.

Yes, I absolutely suggest you log in and find out for yourself, rather than listening to anyone on the forums, because posts like this are so demonstrably untrue, it’s not even funny.

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

Until you login and find crickets on most of them even with megaserver.

I have been playing GW2 for a whole week now! (Whooo! yay me!)
… and I have not found this to be the case at all.
at any time of day.

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Megaservers was implemented because of how dead the maps were in majority of the servers. If you werent in a tier 1-3 server, most maps looked dead.

Anyways, heres a recent link to Top 10 MMOs past year revenue…GW2 is not in it (Although some other games from NCsoft are…)

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/20/5920815/list-of-mmos-by-revenue-warcraft-old-republic

Source is game industry international.

There is no doubt in my mind gw2 is dwindling in population… I highly doubt theres even an average of 50k concurrent player

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Megaservers was implemented because of how dead the maps were in majority of the servers. If you werent in a tier 1-3 server, most maps looked dead.

Anyways, heres a recent link to Top 10 MMOs past year revenue…GW2 is not in it (Although some other games from NCsoft are…)

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/20/5920815/list-of-mmos-by-revenue-warcraft-old-republic

There is no doubt in my mind gw2 is dwindling in population… I highly doubt theres even an average of 50k concurrent player

The reason GW2 is not on that report is it references subscription games only. Here is where they got their information:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-18-the-old-republic-earned-usd165-million-last-year-report

Now according to NCsoft’s financial reports for 2013, this is their income for GW2. That would put GW2 at #5 on that list.

Q1 2013 32,800,000
Q2 2013 25,800,000
Q3 2013 22,900,000
Q4 2013 32,000,000

Vayne.8563

The reason GW2 is not on that report is it references subscription games only. Here is where they got their information:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-18-the-old-republic-earned-usd165-million-last-year-report

Now according to NCsoft’s financial reports for 2013, this is their income for GW2. That would put GW2 at #5 on that list.

Q1 2013 32,800,000
Q2 2013 25,800,000
Q3 2013 22,900,000
Q4 2013 32,000,000

Yep, Guild Wars 2 consistently outperforms Aion and Aion is on the list. Therefore if it were included Guild Wars 2 would be on the list as well.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

AHH – Megaservers were implemented because most people are playing lvl 80’s and do not have to go back to the maps they have already played. That is the same with most games. There were maps in the mid levels were you would never find anyone – even at the beginning of the game. Your logic doesn’t follow A to B to C to D etc. It follows A to Z and skips all the other logical steps.

From A.Net on megaserver – https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-megaserver-system-guilds-and-the-future/

Your link, although, only counts sub games or games that are F2P with an Elite Sub attached. These numbers do not include B2P or just straight F2P games. So these games are skewed for sub games – doesn’t mean anything with GW2, since it has no sub. Basically you are quoting useless numbers.

GW2 IS NOT dwindling with the recent release in China.

(edited by Dusty Moon.4382)

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

The global sales should be now between 5 and 6 million. In around two weeks we will hear NCsoft’s new earnings report for 2Q14. End of August we can read KongZhong’s earnings report.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

There is no current data on how many active players there are in GW2, or a even an agreed-upon number of total sales. Anyone who tells you different is either speculating, not telling the whole story, or has an agenda.

Not what was asked, neither is it the thread topic. But for that matter, you can go to many zones in WoW and find they are dead. Just because you don’t personally see a lot of players doing the same stuff as you, don’t take it as confirmation of anything.

Anyways, heres a recent link to Top 10 MMOs past year revenue…GW2 is not in it

GW2 is not there because SuperData (the original source of those numbers) very clearly states it is a listing of Top Subscription-Based MMO Titles. Granted, some of those titles have gone free-to-play over the years, and the writers seem to be confused about what qualifies for their list and use “pay-to-play” interchageably with “subscription-based” as if it is the same thing. At the very least, I believe their list is made up of games which all began as subscription-based, and most of them even still have some form of subscription option. I don’t know if they would consider GW2 a “free to play” title, or something else they don’t have a term for, but I am not surprised it isn’t on their list. They are a market research company, not a gaming site, and seem to hold no interest in the realm of video games outside of easily-quantifiable sales numbers.

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

If GW2 is number 5 right now (comparing the games on the list with NCSoft’s financial reports), it will be interesting to see where it is after it’s been released in China for a year.

Unlike every other game on that list, GW2 has the potential to increase it’s player base, where the others have reached their plateau.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

There is no current data on how many active players there are in GW2, or a even an agreed-upon number of total sales. Anyone who tells you different is either speculating, not telling the whole story, or has an agenda.

Not what was asked, neither is it the thread topic. But for that matter, you can go to many zones in WoW and find they are dead. Just because you don’t personally see a lot of players doing the same stuff as you, don’t take it as confirmation of anything.

Anyways, heres a recent link to Top 10 MMOs past year revenue…GW2 is not in it

GW2 is not there because SuperData (the original source of those numbers) very clearly states it is a listing of Top Subscription-Based MMO Titles. Granted, some of those titles have gone free-to-play over the years, and the writers seem to be confused about what qualifies for their list and use “pay-to-play” interchageably with “subscription-based” as if it is the same thing. At the very least, I believe their list is made up of games which all began as subscription-based, and most of them even still have some form of subscription option. I don’t know if they would consider GW2 a “free to play” title, or something else they don’t have a term for, but I am not surprised it isn’t on their list. They are a market research company, not a gaming site, and seem to hold no interest in the realm of video games outside of easily-quantifiable sales numbers.

Haha. I always laugh when people seem to miss that important part.

GW2 wasn’t listed because it’s not a subscription MMO. It’s Buy-to-Play.

Here’s the chart you’re looking for, even though it’s still not reliable.
GW2 is #3 on this chart.: http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/mmo-arpu/

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

If gw2 had a increase in population like many talk we should see new servers open but we got megaserver (servers merge) so you got the idea also servers status is how many acc are on xx server not how many ppl are online ..

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

To have a concurrent players of 10, you need around 100 active players.

Typically, for every 10 active players, there are only 1 players online. Make sense right? Average players play around 2.4 hours a day.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If gw2 had a increase in population like many talk we should see new servers open but we got megaserver (servers merge) so you got the idea also servers status is how many acc are on xx server not how many ppl are online ..

They don’t want to open new servers because of WvW. If they open one, they will have to open 3 to make a set. What they have repeatedly done in the the past is increase server capacity. A number of servers will become Full or High and they increase capacity.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I still dont believe how some people thinks that megaserver is “server merge”.Megaserver was made to for entirely other reasons and those reasons are something i been writing for them to do for long time.What of use if this game have currently 1 billion players on 1 server if zones are dead?This game is instanced based.Everything you do,you do it from some afk place (towns the most ) which leaves zones dead and like that this game seems less appealing for starters cause (even with many players) game still seems dead. Megaserver was build up so that they can merge people on server to play together,was build up so that small servers can do BIG events without need to guest on other servers.You cant just make new server cause you are destroying WvW balance.To end this nonsense…..ESO started with Megaserver so how you explain that?by your logic ESO was doing server merge even before game got released yet…by your logic ESO was losing players even before they got them in game !!.You people are soo easy to give judgment and bash game here but what is use of that?August is soon as well as anniversary of GW2 and ANet will release stats for sure.I already see people call them liars,people doing some mat on they own that makes no sense at all just downgrade this game as they been doing it in a past.What is use of that?

(edited by saalle.4623)

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

They don’t want to open new servers because of WvW. If they open one, they will have to open 3 to make a set. What they have repeatedly done in the the past is increase server capacity. A number of servers will become Full or High and they increase capacity.

They didn’t open new servers because a lot of them were dead or dying. Before the mega server there were only a handful of servers you could complete say tequatl and the LS events. All those servers ended up guesting to Blackgate, JQ, or TC to do stuff and that resulted in bunches of overflows and frustrated players on those “main” servers.

The increases in capacity are very deceiving. The ratings are based on number of accounts on the server and not number of those logged in. Past full the ratings are not indicative of actual population on those servers as basically all servers are very high yet the actual population on those servers can range from decently populated to ghost town. The cap lifts just allowed more accounts on the servers and weren’t representative of overall population increases in GW2. WvW fueled server bandwagoning as did people wanting higher pop PvE server than can actually do the events without the hassle of guesting. ArenaNet wanted more money and transfers were a good source so they lifted caps, ultimately helping to further ruin WvW that was already dying an agonizing death due to inattention. The population has just continued to condense onto a handful of servers and will continue to do so for WvW as the lower servers continue to die off.

TLDR: They didn’t put in new servers because the GW2 population never grew. The cap lifts were a money grab and the remaining population condensing themselves(like we’ve seen in other MMO’s on the decline) because MMO’s work best with lots of other people.

Vayne.8563

They didn’t open new servers because a lot of them were dead or dying. Before the mega server there were only a handful of servers you could complete say tequatl and the LS events. All those servers ended up guesting to Blackgate, JQ, or TC to do stuff and that resulted in bunches of overflows and frustrated players on those “main” servers.

The increases in capacity are very deceiving. The ratings are based on number of accounts on the server and not number of those logged in. Past full the ratings are not indicative of actual population on those servers as basically all servers are very high yet the actual population on those servers can range from decently populated to ghost town. The cap lifts just allowed more accounts on the servers and weren’t representative of overall population increases in GW2. WvW fueled server bandwagoning as did people wanting higher pop PvE server than can actually do the events without the hassle of guesting. ArenaNet wanted more money and transfers were a good source so they lifted caps, ultimately helping to further ruin WvW that was already dying an agonizing death due to inattention. The population has just continued to condense onto a handful of servers and will continue to do so for WvW as the lower servers continue to die off.

TLDR: They didn’t put in new servers because the GW2 population never grew. The cap lifts were a money grab and the remaining population condensing themselves(like we’ve seen in other MMO’s on the decline) because MMO’s work best with lots of other people.

I don’t know if a lot of servers were dead or dying…and neither do you. Because a lot of people guested to other servers. No way to track who was on what server, because you didn’t have to play on your own server.

However, even on the busiest servers, the world is big enough were mid level zones would be empty because there was no reason for people to play there. New players would make characters and find that zones were empty, because mid level zones tend to be empty in every game. It’s normal for an MMO.

The problem is that even on busy servers those zones could be empty, but then you’d go to hot spots and you’d be on overflows.

Megaservers solved that problem.