Guild Wars 2 Tabletop RPG

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

Yes yes, I could just play D&D, but I think that wouldn’t really cut it. And it would raise the question which edition… (by the way I am not a big fan of the 3rd)

What system would you use to play in Tyria? Would you build one on your own pen and paper system to play in Tyria?

Desolation – Mistress of significance level

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Interesting question!
I personally rather like D&D 3rd edition and I think it might work, I am also a fan of White Wolf Storyteller system but I’m not sure how that would work here.
It would probably be best to make your own system.
What made you think of GW2 as a pen and paper RPG? I am interested in how you would approach it. take the same classes and basic story line? Please elaborate

Gunnar’s Hold

yandere.9176

I think Tyria is pretty rich fanatsy world.
I also like approach on the humans, that these are the high culture and not the newcomer race as in other fantasy settings. The steampunk addition brings something interesting to the table and reminds me of iron kingdoms or eberron.

That is the short answer, but there is a longer one, that I will probably post this evening.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

You could do a lot with Rolemaster (RMFRP) – there’s a lot of freedom with the huge number of classes and spell lists combos handy. But, the system is very mechanics heavy, so you’ve got to be ready for that. (the first time you make a magic user it will take around 3 hours)

3E DnD, though I hate the system, isn’t that different from the GW2 game system, what with special abilities and feats as you go up levels.

Me, I’d rather just have a nice heavy setting book and then patch together what ever system I wanted. I hear they put out a friendlier version of the Rolemaster rules … (HARP or something like that?)

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

The game mechanics of GW2 reminded me quite a bit of D&D 4th Edition… I mean with the utilities which are not that different from utility powers in D&D 4E, or the healing powers which are basically whyt the second wind in D&D4 is. Still I would not like to use those rules to play a pen & paper GW2 game.

On the World of Darkness system, I like the game mechanics of the new WoD, but it support mostly just horror, and since GW2 isn’t a horror game I think that one should look for another game.

GW2 is too high fantasy for the Song of Ice and Fire RP from Green Ronin, which is game I really like to use for fantasy or medival settings.

I could image the Marvel Heroic Roleplay could work for GW2, one could make each weapon a powerset, so changing weapons would do exactly the same what they are doing in the MMO. And certan weapons, like the ones one can find in GW2 and use for a short time could be powersets that that are build by the watcher.

But maybe there should be a whole new game system be made to play GW2 as a tabletop game?

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

GURPs, in case it is still around (haven´t been doing tabletop rpg for years really) – and I also hope they have some computer assistance tools now for this system that has more rules for everything than physics itself, which is actually great, but can slow down things a lot.

Posted by: Jonny.6013

Jonny.6013

RuneQuest 6. If I ever get enough free time, I’d be tempted to write a supplement.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Interesting idea. To use it as a RPG, I would want to look at a few considerations.

First of all, the setting comes from a video game obviously. But this is what people have as a frame of reference. To make the game work, I would then adapt the game rules and basics to at least on a recognisable level to the pc game.

This would then entail seeing if you could build a system that fits both games or if you need to choose between GW1 and 2.
The reason I say this is that for me (as a long time table top player) a system actually is part of the atmosphere of a game.

I don’t like how, for example, Wizard’s anchored the D20 system and put every setting they sell in the same system. To me that just feels like D&D in the Star Wars universe for example.

So I would advocate a system that echoes the fast playstyle of GW on the PC. West End games did the original Star Wars rpg and this was a great adaptation in my view. The D20 system did no justice to it.

For D&D I prefer the older versions. 3.5 was pretty solid and 4 was utter crap. Hopefully the new one will be better, but that still doesn’t make it fit GW.

No, I’d opt for a new system that has fast combat, using a similar structure as either GW1 or 2. For GW2 you’d want a leveling system to level 80 for example and a similar approach to skill bars. Doesn’t have to be the same but something that would make you think it’s Guild Wars and not some or any other game.

Just my view on this

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Drudenfusz.2971

On GURPS: I just don’t like that system, sure it is a universal system, but by trying to make everything possible it feels like it does nothing perfect.

On Star Wars RPG: I played that game (the D6 version) for years, and I didn’t liked the first two D20 versions, but I think the Saga Edition was the best Star Wars RPG, because force users were there for the first time not more powerful than everybody else… what I try to say, such a system would mean that classes like the mesmer could end up much more powerful than classes like the warrior or enginieer.

On D&D Next: yes, that will take years.

I also prefer to have a new system, but I don’t think it should try to be too close to the game mechanics of the video game. 80 Levels for a pen & paper game is just not a good idea in my opinion. That weapons do different things for different classes is the part I would consider that the game should be able to do, and like I said the Marvel Heroic Rolepay is the only game that seems to make that possible of all the games I know… but maybe I just have forgotten a few games that could also do that (played far too many tabletop RPGs).

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

Does anyone remember the Dream Park system? that would work perfectly for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Park

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Drudenfusz.2971

Does anyone remember the Dream Park system? that would work perfectly for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Park

Haven’t played that game, but I would still be interested in know why you think that it would be perfect, just can’t tell from what I read in the wikipedia article. Sure, the game sounds interesting, but I just don’t see how it make it so perfet for GW2…

yandere.9176

GURPS and WoD I already considered. I don’t know if the marvel one isn’t a bit progressive for this one, but it is an interesting idea. I don’t know dream punk, but I will look into it.

Perhaps making an own RPG wouldn’t be such a bad idea. I consider making a project out of this, we could use the GW2 wiki (my user space) as platform to gather ideas how to create a tabletop for GW2.

So may I ask, who would want to join in something like this?

Drudenfusz.2971

Here a closer look why I think the Marvel Heroic Roleplay (MHR) seems like a good idea for a GW2 pen & paper game:

Let us first look at the character sheets. Affiliations is basically just telling for what groupsize your character is best (I would change that category for most other MMOs to role, so that people can select there if they are DPS, Healer, or Tank).

Distinctions can include the (currently in GW2 useless) personality choices, or stuff like the guardian spirit choce for the Norn or the blessed by a deity choice for humans; of course what a player can do with the distinctions in the tabletop go far beyond what the video game could do.

Power Sets would become weapon sets, and each player could build his weapon sets to resemble what it is in GW2. Most trait choces would become SFX.

Not much to say about Specialties, only that Animal should be on the list.

Milestones are the character choices that lead into personal stories, while the events the watcher (game master) does are mostly what event chains are in GW2.

Posted by: TinyHowie.3946

TinyHowie.3946

WoD whether the old system of the new Adventure system wouldn’t fit. D&D 3e gives too many variables that GW 2 professions just wouldn’t fit, and you have refrain from using its accessories since they are all broken.

GURPS maybe, Rolemaster seems ideal enough. 4e however seems rather good with a few tweaks in “daily” and “encounter” cooldowns. I personally would only prefer 2e with player’s options.

Posted by: MrJinPengyou.1560

MrJinPengyou.1560

You should try Dungeon World. The system is way less restrictive than D&D and you’ll be able to add firearms and even turrets just by thinking about it. All the goodies of GW2 are really easy to translate for this game because the game is really meant for fun and action oriented gameplay. The system is really modular and fast. I read the books last week and I could GM a game after reading the first couple of pages of a free PDF on their site. It basically answers all the questions I had like : What? No initiative? How am I suppose to manage combat? Etc..

(edited by MrJinPengyou.1560)

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Well I started off thinking the lore of Tyria etc was pretty bland. I mean dragons and undead, kind of the staples of the high fantasy genre.

But then I realised, all high fantasy is like that, and GW2 actually has more to it than just that, so it’s really no different from any other high fantasy franchise in that sense.

I do think it could do with more emblematic heroes (let’s face it, Logan is a fail xD) but it’s got a pretty good background to add them within the continuing story of GW2 for example

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Do tabletop Doom II, at least it will be a bit more unique in terms of setting.

But on topic, I think I would just make my own system for it. At least that way you can give it more of a Guild Wars flavour.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: seanairt.3795

seanairt.3795

Personally I’d avoid trying to replicate all the PC game’s mechanics, and just use what I like from the setting & lore.

For systems, I’d use one of:
Heroquest
Fate via the Dresden Files RPG
One Roll Engine via Reign.

My first pick would in all likliehood be Reign.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Yes yes, I could just play D&D, but I think that wouldn’t really cut it. And it would raise the question which edition… (by the way I am not a big fan of the 3rd)

What system would you use to play in Tyria? Would you build one on your own pen and paper system to play in Tyria?

I never heard of a solo tabletop game, but, whatever floats your boat.

Posted by: Sinister Syx.9451

Sinister Syx.9451

It’s in the works, I been working on one for 2 years- it’s alot of work but here’s been my concept cover for it tho

Attachments:

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

If you have seen what table top games fetch at Kickstarter, well lets put it this way… it’s amazing, as if the table top audience is bigger then video games. So many are 100%’s of percent over-funding, who has the time to learn and play so many?

yandere.9176

@MrJinPengyou.1560
I never looked into Dungeon World I will definitly check it out.

@Zeldain.5710
I doesn’t get your post at all O_o

@Horrorscope.7632
The point is P&P RPGs are reletively cheap to produce. You basiclly have to cover the printing cost for books which are not really so bad. (at least not in germany)
The rest is writing a book, which is hard work, but it can be done by one person and since you have rules which should follow technical documentation guidlines you can keep things relativly simple. The most expensive part would be the artwork, which is basiclly one of the better payed jobs in the industry.
Developing a system itself can be a bit challenging but if you have a basic education in statistics it is rather simple. More busy work than anything. (That is by the way the reason I wasn’t able to continue on this, because my schedule hates me at the moment.)
So yeah it is not really surprising why kickstarter works out pretty well for tabletop games.
The systems by the way aren’t really that hard to learn either, because you usually ask yourself “Did I succeed?”, which makes the mathematic behind the whole thing rather simple.

@Sinister Syx.9451
Cool, do you have something like this somewhere online where I could look at it. I would be really happy to have a look at it. ^^

Posted by: Grumm.4359

Grumm.4359

If you’re going to be running a game with people who already play GW2, why not try running the game IN GW2? The system is already there and with vent, TS, or the like you can play without having to type everything out. I mean, you’re limited in what you can do, but it saves you the work of hammering out your own system or of trying to tweak an existing one to fit the setting.

Other than that, if you’re going to fiddle with a pre-existing system for the game, I’d suggest the Legends of Anglerre game. It uses the same Fate system as the Dresden Files RPG, but it’s optimized for a fantasy setting. Also the Dragon Age AGE system is good, if fairly brutal on characters. You might be able to use the Exalted version of the Storytelling system, though it will require significant changes (unless you want the party punching out Zhaitan right out of the gate). Hrm… Pathfinder would work (the current evolution of Wizards’ D20 system, but better than 3 or 3.5).

Really, any system could work if you’re just trying to have a game set in Tyria, from a black-comedy Fiasco game (imagine a Sylvari bare-knuckles boxer, a Norn named Arrow-Tooth Tony, and a Charr who swallowed an 84-karat diamond), to a light-hearted KAMB game (Instead of Kobolds, think Skritt-Ate-My-Baby).

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I’d find it very interesting to find a tabletop adaptation of Tyria.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Grumm.4359

Grumm.4359

One more thing: I’m not sure if the standard edition has it, but the collector’s edition of the strategy guide has a pretty good history of Tyria included in it, which might help in putting the world down on paper.

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I’ve started working on a system of my own as a creative exercise. I want to include the essence of GW gameplay, which means drifting far, far away from D&D. The original GW game was based more heavily on MtG than D&D for functionality, so it’s going to take a lot of work. It’ll be fun, though.

As for the setting, I think picking a time between the two games would fit best. It lets you include pieces from either game, blending them together in a story about the world’s transition. To me, that sounds exciting!

I should be writing.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I love Tyria and all, but frankly, RuneQuest Glorantha owns the table top. All other fantasy contenders are nothing but also-rans by comparison. That includes D&D, which is a mile wide lake of source material, but only a foot deep.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

What about FUDGE?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Safire.1736

Safire.1736

Interesting question!
I personally rather like D&D 3rd edition and I think it might work, I am also a fan of White Wolf Storyteller system but I’m not sure how that would work here.
It would probably be best to make your own system.
What made you think of GW2 as a pen and paper RPG? I am interested in how you would approach it. take the same classes and basic story line? Please elaborate

I think the basic framework used by D&D 4E is very conducive to adaptation of the GW2 mechanics. Also, with the annihilation of D&D 4E with Wizards’ new D&D Next being more of a return to the original systems with significant adaptation potential, there are those of us who are huge fans of the card game-esque mechanics to the powers system and a resultant void that would be ideally filled mechanically. Furthermore, rather than D&D’s arbitrarily useless alignment system, a GW2 tabletop RPG could utilize the Personality system they already have and perhaps replace the mental skills sets of D&D with a separate list that could both be trained and also receive inherent bonuses based on personality. This would allow for character growth demonstrated by more than just roleplay aesthetics, and it would give meaningful consequences to playing or not playing according to one’s personality.
Having been a dungeon master for several different types of groups over the years for multiple game systems, not only would adapting a current tabletop RPG system’s mechanics be doable, but this could also potentially be a HUGE market for ArenaNet if they seize it quickly due to the sudden (sniff) discontinuation of a solid, fun gaming system.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I think 4th ed DnD would work pretty well.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Baeowulf.3285

Baeowulf.3285

I’m actually working on a dedicated tabletop conversion of guild wars 2 into a unique rules set – I have a subreddit for the project at the following link. Come check it out if you’re interested! http://www.reddit.com/r/gw2tabletop/

Posted by: Ramza.9421

Ramza.9421

That’s pretty neat!!!

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’d probably use (in no specific order)

• Pathfinder
  • RIFTS or Palladium Fantasy
  • BESM
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Maybe its just me, but im seeing this topic coming up several times.

What Baeowulf is doing is awesome and amazing, and I fully support it.
There is also a similar project happening here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Guild-Wars-Tabletop-RPG/first#post4813270
For those who want to follow along.

So exciting!!!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

Hero Fantasy is a good system you can use if you really want to get detailed or what I have done in my current gw2 table top game – Mutants & Masterminds game system. I just set the power level down a bit and it works great. Recreating a mesmer was probably the hardest part at first, but was completely possible.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

The simplest answer is: FATE supports almost anything.

The complex answer is: You will need to create a new and specific system. There isn’t a system that really takes on account all the notable aspects that make GW so unique. If you DO use DnD, you’ll end playing a “weird D&D” rather than telling a true Tyrian Hearted Tale. D&D is a really stiff and overrated system IMO, too extensive to properly adjust, and too combat centric to properly “roleplay”.

The answer in the middle: there are a HUGE amount of good systems to use on medioeval-fantasy settings like Tyria. From Wheel of Time to GoT, from ORE (Reign, in particular, is a sublime system) to Palladium, from FATE to Exalted…

I think Shadowrun 4 system is a great and solid action oriented system, wich could accept the magic, technologic and supernatural elements common in Tyria quite well.

Im going to read Baeowulf work now. I hope is as good as it sounds, so I can run it with my regular play group soon!!

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

We are currently working on a unique system to implent the aspects of GW2 combat that we have come to love. (i.e. combo fields, active combat, etc.)

We are still in the concept phase and working toward solidifying a mechanic system to take those things into consideration.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Kiiro Yakumo.2791

Kiiro Yakumo.2791

For D&D I prefer the older versions. 3.5 was pretty solid and 4 was utter crap. Hopefully the new one will be better, but that still doesn’t make it fit GW.

D&D 5e seems so far to be better than 4e (not big surprise, other people did it).
You may also like the PathFinder while we are on it, it’s sometimes called D&D 3.75.
“and speaking of which” – Emperor
PathFinder has a lot of races to select from, some could maybe fit for those of Tyria with or without some changes here and there…and if not, there is always possibility of creating one (I’m writing Asura race for that system “as we speak”).

I’d probably use (in no specific order)

Pathfinder
RIFTS or Palladium Fantasy
BESM

Ayup~ Pathfinder would fit just nice, a little change here and there, some books to add (turrets!) and stuff…

The simplest answer is: FATE supports almost anything.

I think someone mentioned that one to me. Might check it out~

GW2 deserves its own mechanics, but for “fast test” I guess EarthDawn could also be valid option (with of course some tinkering of adding races of Tyria, I was able to more or less add Asura and play as one on friends campaign, sort of).

“Everything has a place in the Eternal Alchemy” – Asura

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

Not as big as WW or D&D but the old D10 version of 7th Sea would be a surprisingly good fit for GW2. Especially as they are both inspired by the same historical period(s).

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

Check the “new” Star Wars rpg from Fantasy Flight Games. It’s a narrative, fast and easy system.

Ad astra per asperas

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

You should try [Roll20]
They have a webapp that lets you make the maps and systems used for digital dungeons and dragons. Play around with it, it’s kinda fun.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Whilst I know necroing is normally frowned upon, thank you for bumping this from the depths. It reminded me I was going to look into the community created rpg linked in here.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Whilst I know necroing is normally frowned upon, thank you for bumping this from the depths. It reminded me I was going to look into the community created rpg linked in here.

I think necro’ing is fine, as long it’s purposeful. like in this case

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

For systems I’d try to adapt to GW2 if I wanted to:

• Iron Kingdoms RPG (IKRPG)

It has a steam-punk setting that is slightly different, but shouldn’t be too hard to adapt, for example you already got a few robots to play with the Asura. It also lets you pick/mix 2 classes from the get go, which fits well with GW1 lore, and makes for a good bit of customizability.

But mostly because of the combat. Rewards positioning, makes you fragile with number of HP, lets each character self heal to some extent, Fairly fast combat with plenty of tactical choices. It has a “role” system, but plays it much looser that what most other games does, so feels closer to GW2 in that regard.

• D&D 5e

Favorite D&D version yet, once they get a couple of books for Eberron you have some steam-punk to base things on. Took most of the good sides from 3x system, and fixed a good bit on the rest. It keeps the tactical actions in combat, while avoiding most of the crazy clutter that 3x devolved into. At least for now.

If making a new system, first of all that is a crazy amount of work! I’d focus on the active combat, and having X number of choices available at any time, but a easy way to change it (like at sleep or something). Keeping that each weapon should be very different from each others etc. This is the core of what GW2 did right and separates itself mechanically from other games.

Now obviously this is going to be pretty darn hard to re-create, since there are so few existing table-top games that does something similar.

Honestly, people remember different things as the most notable from GW1/2, so what is important to some, isn’t for others.

Example, I never could stand the GW1 MtG/Card like system, and wouldn’t be interested in a TT-RPG that recreated that at all. But I absolutely love the combat in GW2 and would be ecstatic to find an TT-RPG that let me change my play-style and combat-tactics by simply changing weapons, instead of the boring +X dmg -Y initiative 1/2hands.

I’d also love to see a system that keeps the low max level of gw1, and rather let you keep customizing your character, instead of just endlessly grinding upward. Others would be bored to death if they stopped leveling (mechnical progression).

Story and setting can be worked into nearly anything with some dedication and time, that is more about how you create and present the adventure than the mechanics. And a couple of the quirky stuff could be added as custom rules on top without interfering too much with the base rule system.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

You need to decide whether you want to use the the background & lore of GuildWars only or try to mimic spells and abilities as well.

If it is just the flavour of the world that’s interesting, go for a narrative driven system, like Dungeon World, where there are very little rules you have to have to learn and share with you players.
If you want to mimic skills, then you have to select appropriate skills and abilities from a vast pool of resources. D&D 3.5 / Pathfinder / D20 rules can provide those.

After 30 years of being a game master for pen & paper RPGs, I favour the narrative approach, which of course requires you to have creative players as well.

e.g.
Guardian: “Hazan spends one of her hold points to half the damage from the ice elemental upon Tilia” (=> this simulates “a protection boon”)
Elementalist:“Tilia gets back on her feet and throws a fireball at the ice elemental” … rolls a partial success…“and I damage it for 5 points. But I am still shaken by the last attack, so I suffer a -1 to future rolls in this encounter.” (=> this simulates a debuff, like slow or daze)
Warrior:“Nothing will stop a member of the Burning Embers! Demir will smash his war hammer into the chest of the beast!” … rolls a full success … “Icy shards spray the party as the hammer caves in the chest of the creature and it takes 12 points of piercing damage!” (=> critical hit and a vulnerable condition)

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)