Guild Wars 2 , The game with no guild wars

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MonkeyGG.4801

MonkeyGG.4801

I´ve been playing since day 1, and since day1 that i wait for GvG’s , gw2 is not even considered esports because the promissed a lot of stuff and didnt acomplished it, people demand GvG’s !! In my opinion the future of this game is the pvp(spvp and wvw) because pve is so lame and easy people get bored and leave the game, on the other hand, pvp has a lot of unexplored potential, so many pvp game modes that could appear, expetialy GvG’s, please ANET, in the name of all the pvp lovers in this game, i beg you, release oficial GvG’s as fast as possible, there is absurd a game called guild wars not having a GvG system.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

100% behind you but it won’t happen. From the interviews, when “errrrrght…..” is their only answer, it’s quite clear that the people behind the competitive modes do not want to implement GvG.

MonkeyGG.4801

the thing is, without the proper and competitive pvp anet promised, gw2 is going to die, sooner than they think. at least me and a lot more people play this game hoping for a competitive scene

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

the thing is, without the proper and competitive pvp anet promised, gw2 is going to die, sooner than they think. at least me and a lot more people play this game hoping for a competitive scene

Keep watching the update news, I guess. They appear to be working on it.

MonkeyGG.4801

roybe, they appear to be working on it for the last year and a half xD

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Well, this year they are putting up a few hundred thousand US $.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t believe Guild Wars 2 would die even if it had no PvP. I think a relatively small percentage of the playerbase PvPs.

Now if the PvP was really good, it might have more players or do better. But I seriously doubt it would die without it.

MonkeyGG.4801

well, i can asure you that at least 40% of the pop does either spvp or wvw, and i also can asure you that when gvg’s come up, if they ever do, the game population will get 3times higher, cuz a lot of people stoped playing because there was no competitive pvp

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I thought that the Tournament of Legends was comptetitive PvP?

As far as the percentage of the population it is impoosible to know that. There are no official numbers that have been released so any population data is gathered through third party software which only reflects a small portion of people who use it. So unless 100% of the population uses such software, and I know for a fact that it doesn’t (my wife, my friends and other family that plays don’t, MANY people in my guild don’t and I don’t) any speculation on the amount of players that play in any game mode is pure speculation.

Also as far as the name Guild Wars, as it’s been said many times before, is based on the series of wars between humans in the lore in a time before GW1, and doesn’t mean that either game is based on the concept of GvG.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

MonkeyGG.4801

tournament of legends competitive pvp? kitten please, that game mode aint competitive at all

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

Guild Build Wars 2

fixed

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

tournament of legends competitive pvp? kitten please, that game mode aint competitive at all

2 bunker warriors camp mid
2 zerker thief cap ennemy home
1 necro click Lich form alternating between both places

Enemy team has no chance
gg balance done right

pdavis.8031

Why is it not competitive? Is it not a team of players competing against each other? The very nature of the game mode is by definition competitive.

But if, by whatever strech of the imagination, it’s NOT competitive, what would make it be so?

recognize my command!”

MonkeyGG.4801

it would be competitive if there was balance, nowadays people just take specific builds and do the same thing over and over again, there is no chalenge and it gets bored

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Inb4 GW2 got its name because of the lore.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

it would be competitive if there was balance, nowadays people just take specific builds and do the same thing over and over again, there is no chalenge and it gets bored

And gvg would be different?

Too late.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

MonkeyGG.4801

yes gvg would be different, for some reason people make unoficial gvg’s in wvw, thats what people want and anet isnt delivering

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

Why would it be different regarding this?
“nowadays people just take specific builds and do the same thing over and over again”

Those gvgs I watched were -at least from an outsiders perspective – mostly the same. The usual gwen-composition with a few players from the other classes. I also doubt that there is much build diversity.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

(edited by Turamarth.3248)

MonkeyGG.4801

but it takes way more coordination since we aint talkin about 5 player but 15 instead, more coordination demans more skill, more skill generates more competitivity

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

And gvg would be different?

Too late.

;~;

Sad face.

I ? Karkas.

pdavis.8031

so because its easy and boring makes in non competitive.

Also what are your thoughts on the game “Rock, Paper, Scissors”?

its a simple, repetitive, and easy game. However there world class tournaments, international tournaments, and so on and so forth. So it could be considered a VERY competitive game. But if its easy, and repetitive, and boring…….

recognize my command!”

Posted by: curtegg.5216

curtegg.5216

Try Archeage you can get close to GvG with that!

Posted by: CptnDrunk.8361

CptnDrunk.8361

If anything id like to see an objective GvG structure. Look at GW1 for notes.

The current “unofficial” crap i see guilds doing is pathetic. As stated they run the same builds and do routine maneuvers until someone screws up. 15 v 15 , 20 v 20 is all most of those “gvg” guilds can do….

Currently ANET sees WvW as a place where guilds can flaunt their “skill”. To be honest they are right in that mind set. Spontaneous reaction to the environment is what really tests your skills. Using bait tactics to get fights or completely crushing a defense is pretty darn fun.

That said I still wouldn’t mind seeing that objective guild group PvP with leader board system. Give large group PvPers something to work for.

Tone Deaf [TUNE] | Yaks Bend
Doctor Love – Mesmer
Captain Awesome – Warrior

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

a continent vs a guild of dragons
it’s a pretty cool game

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

@OP
what about read some Guild Wars lore before to start those threads? You are only showing your ignorance… if you are happy so…

Posted by: nikdik.1934

nikdik.1934

I agree with you OP. I don’t know why the devs thought excluding guild halls, gvg, or even capes from launch was a good idea. A sequel to a game should add on what made the original great, not take things away. Saying GW2 comes from the lore is a kitten poor excuse to not include some basic things from the first Guild Wars.

(edited by nikdik.1934)

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Guild Wars and guild halls is MUST HAVE and this PVP mode need to be anti-zerg.Make more strategy based then just clicking 1 button.

pdavis.8031

I agree with you OP. I don’t know why the devs thought excluding guild halls, gvg, or even capes from launch was a good idea. A sequel to a game should add on what made the original great, not take things away. Saying GW2 comes from the lore is a kitten poor excuse to not include some basic things from the first Guild Wars.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I am all for GvG. But trying to use the name “Guild wars” as a point to complain that GW2 doesn’t have GvG is just as silly. Guild Wars wasn’t called “Guild Wars” because one feature of the game was GvG. It was called that because of the back story that was made before develoment of the game.

Guild Wars 2 comes in more as a continuation of the story, set in the same world. Making the game set in Tryia, with all the same races, common history, etc. couldn’t be called anything else. Look at The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. The game was not set in Hyrule, didn’t have Princess Zelda, but featured Link as the main protagonist. They could have called it something else, but anything other than The Legend of Zelda: <instert whatever title here> would just be silly, and come off more of a cheap spin off then the actual amazing game that it is. Same type of the was done with GW2. Some of the same elements, but a totally different game and theme than the original.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

"Guild Wars" references lore. Things that happened well in the past.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

obligatory lore explanation

Yes, yes. Not wrong. Not exactly right, either. The lore history described as the Guild Wars is a way to shore up the name contextually within its own universe. But really, the name was chosen ahead of the lore, and it was to reflect a strong focus on PvP with Guilds being front and centre. I can’t say I know for that sure, of course, but it is highly probable. Names are chosen by committee and must face up to PR/Marketing. Boil it down to “No, wait, it all makes sense if you read these 30 pages from the player manual!” reason versus “It’s Guilds! At war!” if you like.

It had in-game guild leaderboards and announced Guilds individual progress to every online user as they progressed. Guild Wars was chosen not because of some historical lore, but because ANet wanted people to hear the name of the game and get the idea right away.

pdavis.8031

obligatory lore explanation

Yes, yes. Not wrong. Not exactly right, either. The lore history described as the Guild Wars is a way to shore up the name contextually within its own universe. But really, the name was chosen ahead of the lore, and it was to reflect a strong focus on PvP with Guilds being front and centre. I can’t say I know for that sure, of course, but it is highly probable. Names are chosen by committee and must face up to PR/Marketing. Boil it down to “No, wait, it all makes sense if you read these 30 pages from the player manual!” reason versus “It’s Guilds! At war!” if you like.

It had in-game guild leaderboards and announced Guilds individual progress to every online user as they progressed. Guild Wars was chosen not because of some historical lore, but because ANet wanted people to hear the name of the game and get the idea right away.

You may be right, but I would think that GW1 being an online RPG, would already have had the main story (mostly) intact, with at least the major portions of the lore before, or while still in, the initial design phase, and were able to choose that name to convey the story the wanted to tell, as well as to puncuate the PvP/GvG aspect that was also a part of the game. At least that makes sense to me. But unless you get one of the lead designers from GW1, we may never know the exact reasoning behind it.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Khovenost.7143

Khovenost.7143

there’s an area in the EB jumping puzzle that looks like it’d make the perfect GvG scenario. Go have a look at it. I think devs still have in mind GvGs, just have other priorities.

Lhun

Blackgate.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I´ve been playing since day 1, and since day1 that i wait for GvG’s , gw2 is not even considered esports because the promissed a lot of stuff and didnt acomplished it, people demand GvG’s !! In my opinion the future of this game is the pvp(spvp and wvw) because pve is so lame and easy people get bored and leave the game, on the other hand, pvp has a lot of unexplored potential, so many pvp game modes that could appear, expetialy GvG’s, please ANET, in the name of all the pvp lovers in this game, i beg you, release oficial GvG’s as fast as possible, there is absurd a game called guild wars not having a GvG system.

First – please read the lore of the game. The name GUILD WARS IS NOT BECAUSE OF GvG. from GW Wiki

" Throughout the centuries, the continent of Tyria found itself in constant warfare. The multiple Guild Wars raged across human lands – constantly ending and starting again, creating a series of wars between Humans. In all these years, not much aside from the constant wars and temporary times of peace existed. However, nearly two hundred years prior to the Searing, a powerful arcanist known simply as Lord Odran sought to reach into the unknown, and in doing so, by sacrificing many souls, found access to the Hall of Heroes. Though the spirits were outraged at Odran’s intrusion on the land they had paid to access with their life and blood, they could do nothing against beings of the living. For years, Odran explored the Rift and the many worlds, placing his portals in deadly locations and concealing them with spells. Until one day, the spirits of the Rift found a way to harm that which was corporeal and when Odran returned to the Rift they tore his body apart. In doing so that which they hated most came to pass as the spells of protection and concealment over Odran’s portals were removed and mortals gained free access to the Hall of Heroes."

GW1 GvG was COINCIDENT with the game meaning the name Guild Wars has nothing to do with that.

A.Net will put in GvG when they feel it is balanced and they have everything worked out. As it is, you can GvG in OS or any WvW map.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

The guild wars name is a reference to StarCraft since the old anet had/have ex-blizzard members, and is also a reference to the type of gameplay they wanted for the original the game. The lore aspect is slapped on afterwards.

Dusty Moon.4382

The guild wars name is a reference to StarCraft since the old anet had/have ex-blizzard members, and is also a reference to the type of gameplay they wanted for the original the game. The lore aspect is slapped on afterwards.

The lore was part and parcel. Also the Original A.Net people worked on Diablo 2 not StarCraft.

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

GvG in the end would leave out people who do not have a guild or that have very small guilds so seems a bit unfair would it not? My guild is little to no active people so I would have bought a game for nothing and have to stop playing cause all I would do is get killed by every guild in the game just for walking around doing PvE or something.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

You should try Wildstar Battlegrounds if you want large-scale PvP. They’re very fun!

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

The lore was part and parcel. Also the Original A.Net people worked on Diablo 2 not StarCraft.

Gameplay conception came first. Reference to their old game next. Lore last (or at the same time with the reference).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_O%27Brien_%28game_developer%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Wyatt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Strain
Ctrl+F — Starcraft: Matches found.

You were saying?

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

wished I could get my hands on Wildstar but I cannot find it in a store to save my life and I hate waiting for things ordered on the internet

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

WvW is where guilds fight and take / hold towers making it there own and they do this at the same time that they are in a war for a week vs other worlds. So we have the guild and we have the war i do not see how GW2 has no guild wars.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

pdavis.8031

GvG in the end would leave out people who do not have a guild or that have very small guilds so seems a bit unfair would it not? My guild is little to no active people so I would have bought a game for nothing and have to stop playing cause all I would do is get killed by every guild in the game just for walking around doing PvE or something.

If GvG were to be implemented it would more than likely another mode within PvP. Any type of open world PvP (open world referring to PvE) would be a really bad idea unless it was on a separate server and not tied into mega server in any way shape or form. So there really is no reason to be worried about something like that ever happening.

recognize my command!”

Dusty Moon.4382

PvP and WvW leave out people that don’t do that and PvE leaves out the hardcore WvW and PvP people. What is your point?

You can GvG now with 5 v 5 In your own PvP arena, I don’t see what the difference is?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I think it would have been way cool if GW2 had been called ‘The Searing’. Anyway, if people want GvG, I say let ’em have it.

The table is a fable.

Jski.6180

I think it would have been way cool if GW2 had been called ‘The Searing’. Anyway, if people want GvG, I say let ’em have it.

They do have it there lot of GvG types in GW2 its just under a different name. What most ppl problem with GW2 GvG is that its not GW1. This is not a problem with a game having something or not having something its a problem that ppl cant get over that GW2 is not GW1 and GW1 is mostly a dead game. They cant and do not want to move on.

Posted by: ocirne.7915

ocirne.7915

They do have it there lot of GvG types in GW2 its just under a different name. What most ppl problem with GW2 GvG is that its not GW1. This is not a problem with a game having something or not having something its a problem that ppl cant get over that GW2 is not GW1 and GW1 is mostly a dead game. They cant and do not want to move on.

Except there are no GvG types in GW2.

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

Not being trolly or pessimistic, but I think the reason we’re seeing more of a focus on PvP balancing and not new game modes is because the devs don’t think PvP is competitive. And it is not. It’s not what GW1 was or what it could have been.

Just the concept of being able to “dodge” a necromancer’s curse is odd enough; if dodge were dodge, and more than just temporary invul+speed boost, I think it would render a more competitive PvP. Plenty of other oddities as well, Endure Pain in GW1 just gave you more health. Here you take no damage for x seconds. Just a kind of weird state of PvP where everyone is cheesey. I still have fun, and have played to rank 33 so far.

… anyway I think that’s where your GvG is.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

Guild Wars and guild halls is MUST HAVE and this PVP mode need to be anti-zerg.Make more strategy based then just clicking 1 button.

Technically if you know where to zerg and ambush enemies at the right time, it’s strategy. As for clicking 1 button, I have clicked my rotations to maximize as much damage as I can contribute. While it will be more welcome to have it be more tactics based, exactly HOW would you want that to happen? I’d take into consideration the amount of frustration and grief this could cause among fellow players.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Jski.6180

Except there are no GvG types in GW2.

And what is a GvG a group of ppl under the same name or ideal or views working together vs another group under a different name etc.. that any thing. A game card game can be a GvG we just call it a GvG to show that there is a guild fighting another guild. In spvp if you have a guild on one side and a guild on the other side that too IS a gvg.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I can’t understand this: When we have nice PvP features on the first game, how it’s impossible to implement same features to the secondary one ?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The lore of the historical Guild Wars was written to justify the intended game mode of guild vs guild. So yes the name refers to a period in the setting’s history, but the period in the setting’s history was written to give context for a previously conceived game mode.