Guild Wars: 2 Years

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

Hello,

I played GW1 and started a few months late, I played it with most of the folks in the GW2 guild I’m in now, and a few nights ago we were having a discussion about things to do in GW2, and I made a comment that GW1 had a whole expansion, Factions, by the 2 year mark and a buddy pointed out that it actually had Factions and Nightfall by the 2 year mark, so I went and did some research. You can see it attached.

Disclaimer: I took that data from the wiki, and in some cases, I had to eyeball it or the wiki didn’t agree with itself (skills in Nightfall expansion), so a few numbers might be wrong, like 241 new skills vs 240 in Nightfall, the point is that it is directionally accurate. Further more, the point is to show how much in the way of new content ANET was able to produce for GW1 by the time we get to the two year mark.

I love this game, It’s the best MMO I’ve ever played and I’ve enjoyed it for 2 years, but it’s getting to the point where I want more things to do. To put it bluntly, ANET I want to give you my money, I really do, but it needs to be for a bulk load of permanent content. I’m not paying you another cent, I don’t begrudge a single dollar I’ve spent with you, but I’m done until we get actual “expansion levels of content.”

I have money sitting in my pocket (confirmed with wife) with your name on it. But I’m not buying anymore GEM store outfits, character slots, brooms, etc. I bought my last GEM card last night and now I’m done (dat drama!).

And when I say expansion level content, I’m talking about the attached… things like:

1. By the 2 year mark in GW1, I had 150+% more explorable area
2. I had 6 pvp game modes and 37 maps (please bring back competitive missions)
3. 200+ sets of craftable (sort of) armor
4. More than double the skills and nearly triple the elite skills
5. 7 elite missions
6. 4 Holiday events
7. But no partridge in a pear tree, not even as a minipet

The attached list isn’t exhaustive, nor is it meant to be a comparison, it’s meant to be an illustration of what I would like to see added to the game. And I want to give you money for it. Put it in a box and stick it on a shelf and I’ll be there with bells on.

I love this game, and I want to keep playing. I want to see the Guildies that left come back and play with us again and I want more content. Not for free, I feel I’ve gotten my GEM’s worth so far, so I want to pay. Pay. Pay. PAY. For expansion level content.

thanks,

Pixels

Attachments:

Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I’ve been trying not to think about this every time I go in game…..

Attachments:

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Would you be willing to wait and get it for free? Because I get the feeling that’s more what they’re going for.

Interesting chart, btw. I probably could have gone without seeing that ._. Haha

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: Apophis.2498

Apophis.2498

Factions and Nightfall are not expansions. They are seperate campaigns. Eye of the North was the only expansion for Guild Wars or GW1. The majority of the arguments against an “expansion” that I have read are about how much unexplored areas around the continent of Tyria. That kind of makes sense to me.

The one questions that I have are:

Why cross the Crystal Desert into Elona if we haven’t beaten Kralkatorrik or venture to Cantha without beating the Deep Sea Dragon?

If Anet was going to follow what they did with GW1 (having seperate campaigns) It would take a ton of resources to flesh out Cantha and Elona like they did with Tyria.

I could see them using the Living Story to open up other areas in the current map.

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

Factions and Nightfall are not expansions. They are seperate campaigns. Eye of the North was the only expansion for Guild Wars or GW1. The majority of the arguments against an “expansion” that I have read are about how much unexplored areas around the continent of Tyria. That kind of makes sense to me.

Why cross the Crystal Desert into Elona if we haven’t beaten Kralkatorrik or venture to Cantha without beating the Deep Sea Dragon?

If Anet was going to follow what they did with GW1 (having seperate campaigns) It would take a ton of resources to flesh out Cantha and Elona like they did with Tyria.

I could see them using the Living Story to open up other areas in the current map.

Like Dry Top? And how it took 2 months to open it up completely? and now we are in a month long hiatus because they can’t keep up with that rate…..yeah i’d say i would take the old gw1 expansion model rather than this.

Pixels.6532

Would you be willing to wait and get it for free? Because I get the feeling that’s more what they’re going for.

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

My answer is no and here’s why. Content follows the revenue streams and right now the revenue stream is the GEM shop. Is it any wonder that the GEM shop has soooooo much stuff? That’s where the money comes from. And they can use it to develop non-GEM store stuff, but look at the time frame. Look at what ANET was able to do in GW1 within 2 years.

As long as they continue to focus on making the GEM shop their revenue source, that’s where the majority of their development time is going to go.

I want to pay for the types of things on the attached chart. I don’t mind the GEM shop as a revenue stream, but what I thought was that it was a source of income for ANET during their expansion development cycles, It appears I was mistaken. I’m depressed that GW2 is going to continue the way GW1 ended (not the way it started).

Essentially: Living Story = GW: Beyond and a focus on the in-game store…

Prove me wrong, ANET!

Sanctum of Rall

Apophis.2498

I’m just speculating, but they could have been using Dry Top as a test for new features to see if it could run with a high population. When they opened up Southsun, it was a nightmare with all of the lag issues they had. Especially since if felt like everyone logged in wanted to rush through the new map within minutes of release. I am sure they they are able to open up larger map areas in within one or two LS releases.

I could be wrong, but I’d imagine that Anet could handle it now

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Thank you Cpt. Obvious…….

Have you ever thought about players like it BECAUSE it is created with love for detail and needs a lot of ressources ?

And no a disussion if Elona,Cantha are campains or addons isn’t important.
Important is the fact that people want Elona and Cantha in their games !!!!!!doesn’t matter how much ressources it need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it helps A-Net don’t call it “expansion”……. call it soccer game or car racing track….
we don’t care.
And we also don’t care there are 3487 other dragons still alive…. we just don’t.
If you started with Nightfall in GW1, Rurik was still alive in the original game and Shiro in factions…. and absolutely nobody cared !!!!!
Really… can we stop finding excuses why something is not possible ?

Apophis.2498

I never said or thought it was impossible. Just not time. I want Elona and Cantha just as bad as other players do, but I’m not going to raise hell about it.

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Because the DSD isn’t between Cantha and Tyria, it were Zaithans Dead ships disrupting Ship movement.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Hello,

I played GW1 and started a few months late, I played it with most of the folks in the GW2 guild I’m in now, and a few nights ago we were having a discussion about things to do in GW2, and I made a comment that GW1 had a whole expansion, Factions, by the 2 year mark and a buddy pointed out that it actually had Factions and Nightfall by the 2 year mark, so I went and did some research. You can see it attached.

Disclaimer: I took that data from the wiki, and in some cases, I had to eyeball it or the wiki didn’t agree with itself (skills in Nightfall expansion), so a few numbers might be wrong, like 241 new skills vs 240 in Nightfall, the point is that it is directionally accurate. Further more, the point is to show how much in the way of new content ANET was able to produce for GW1 by the time we get to the two year mark.

I love this game, It’s the best MMO I’ve ever played and I’ve enjoyed it for 2 years, but it’s getting to the point where I want more things to do. To put it bluntly, ANET I want to give you my money, I really do, but it needs to be for a bulk load of permanent content. I’m not paying you another cent, I don’t begrudge a single dollar I’ve spent with you, but I’m done until we get actual “expansion levels of content.”

I have money sitting in my pocket (confirmed with wife) with your name on it. But I’m not buying anymore GEM store outfits, character slots, brooms, etc. I bought my last GEM card last night and now I’m done (dat drama!).

And when I say expansion level content, I’m talking about the attached… things like:

5. 7 elite missions
6. 4 Holiday events

The attached list isn’t exhaustive, nor is it meant to be a comparison, it’s meant to be an illustration of what I would like to see added to the game. And I want to give you money for it. Put it in a box and stick it on a shelf and I’ll be there with bells on.

I love this game, and I want to keep playing. I want to see the Guildies that left come back and play with us again and I want more content. Not for free, I feel I’ve gotten my GEM’s worth so far, so I want to pay. Pay. Pay. PAY. For expansion level content.

thanks,

Pixels

You did it. I commend you.

P.S. Fractal tonight?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Apophis.2498

Because the DSD isn’t between Cantha and Tyria, it were Zaithans Dead ships disrupting Ship movement.

Good catch. That would allow them to open cantha first, if that is the path they choose.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I stand in LA, look at the map and feel the virtual walls closing in around me.

Been there. Done that. (Several times now already thank you very much).

I look longingly at the map where a white rabbit tempted me to follow it down the rabbit hole. Where the endlessly burning forests stood. I can peek through the hole in the wall in the Hall of Monuments but I can get out (invisible wall added, darn ANet >.>) I remember the frozen lake with the dragon frozen inside. The frozen waves of jade. The deserts and plains. The Monastery. Wardens. Tengu and kappa.

So close. So out of reach.

I feel not only nostalgic but worse, I feel claustrophobic.

Posted by: OnyX.9027

OnyX.9027

All they had to do was look at GW1, look at what they did there as a model and do things in a similar light with regard to content, expansions/campaigns.

(FYI Living Story has the immersion and depth of a 5ml puddle) LS was advised as a bad idea over a year ago and yet you have continually cranked it out when the majority simply do not care (as each release lasts an hour, 2 if you break for coffee and toast)

Personally I would swap (in a heartbeat) WvW/tpvp etc… for GvG, HA (hell even AB for the lolz of… wait a sec that was WvW it it’s earliest form of zerg ftw)

Urgoz, The Deep, Fissure of Woe, Underworld, Tomb of Primeval and Sorrows Furnace were simply fantastic and there is nothing even remotely similar in GW2 (a.k, the Elite Missions)

hell just give me GW1 with GW2 gfx, maps & legendaries (I would also take gw1 torment weapon skin over the gw2 travesty!) build in some of that GW1 goodness mentioned above and ladies and gents we got a winner!

tyvm

Reservoir Shugo – Necro
Soul of Onyx – Guardian

(edited by OnyX.9027)

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

… I love this game, and I want to keep playing. I want to see the Guildies that left come back and play with us again and I want more content. Not for free, I feel I’ve gotten my GEM’s worth so far, so I want to pay. Pay. Pay. PAY. For expansion level content.

thanks,

Pixels

I feel ya. You’re not alone. I love this game too, and I esp. loved the changes Anet made in LS. It’s just very hard to watch fellow guildies and other veteran gamers leave GW2 because of the game’s post- level 80 progression issues. Their gaming goal is progression over everything else. Many of the people I’ve hung out with for the last 10 months are folks who maxed out every part of the game (including WvW and PvP). There is no challenge left for these folks, so they leave.

It’s great that there are more newbies in the game. That’s a good sign. Sadly, it does take a lot of time & patience to help them during Dungeons and Fractals. Every time I do a dungeon run, I have to put aside 2 hours in case the pug group are a group of inexperienced gamers. I’m finding less & less speed runs. Worse, the newbie teams go down so fast, and I’m almost always soloing the bosses now. I try to resurrect the new players, but sometimes that just isn’t possible.

For me, MMORPGs are a social media tool like Twitter & Facebook. Watching people leave the game is akin to having an FB friend close their account and never saying where they’re going.

On the positive side, I learned everything I could from my GW2 friends, and now I have a chance to pass on my knowledge!

(edited by kta.6502)

Iason Evan.3806

I feel like there is a turn style model being employed by the people that study metrics at ArenaNet. It feels like( <——important part of sentence)there is little to no intent for retention of players. Whatever the reason, that’s just how it seems to me. The disparity between the development cycle of GW1 which just cranked out content at a mind numbing pace compared with the slow, plodding, iterative design process for GW2 is weird. Just the fact that it has taken so long to implement new weapons, utilities, elites etc. is odd. Even this skill balance patch feels meager and safe to the point of “why bother”?

With the way the game was hyped pre-release I thought at this point we would have more content in this game than we did in GW1, 2 years in. The devs talked about how easily they could add in new events etc. and that they structured it in a way to be more dev friendly to pump out new content.

Oh well.

Pixels.6532

Sorry for the bump, but I did appreciate the responses and was out of town and unable to respond until today. Just to note, there were 539 days from game launch to Elona, if you look only at what was added in the Factions/Nightfall expansions, here is how they average content per day (rounded up to the nearest day):

1. A new playable class every 135 days

2. A new explorable region every 6 days

3. A new skill every day

4. A new Guild hall every 68 days

5. A new PvP game mode every 180 days

6. A new PvP map every 24 days

7. A new Quest/Mission every 2 days

8. A new (non-gem store) set of armor every 4 days

9. A new Elite Mission (think high-level dungeon) every 180 days

I don’t believe using GEM store revenues to produce an “expansion” level of content is going to work. I think as long as you’re getting money from GEM sales you focus on producing more content for those GEMs and that is what we’re seeing. I really hope I’m wrong, but I don’t know that the metrics above are even what ANET is considering when they talk about content.

as always, feel free to check the math, again, this is only looking at things produced in the factions and nightfall expansions and days were rounded up to nearest whole day

Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Illuminati.2431

Illuminati.2431

I am going to show this in every discussion I have with White Knight Anet kitten kissing Vayne.

Thank you, you are my hero.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I used to defend LS and loved this game.
I still love this game, but I can’t find it in me to defend LS anymore… I defended it because I thought it was merely filler content untill we would get expansion/campaign… when I realised this was likely not the case I just became sad, even if I still love the game.
I often log in just to log out again within a short time, because there is nothing all that enjoyable for me to do… nothing new.
I do every new chapter of LS still, trying to enjoy it for what it is… but after that hour or 2 I just feel… empty… going to to feel bored for the next 14 days untill the next one comes around.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

Though I have stopped playing for weeks then came back and tried to get involved I’m finding it hard to enjoy this game again. To be honest I want expansive adventure, campaign, quest, and dungeons content. I also want people to play with which I don’t need to pre book ahead as a guild event of sorts. I’m wary of pugs because of elitism or players who don’t play well as a team. The cosmetic focus and intensive equipment grind does not interest me at all. Also recently the other day I was getting disconnected a lot and that was off putting too.

I find the game stale and the LS2 content development and delivery no better than LS1. I think Im also fed up with finding temporary new friends in all the games I play the just for them to move on as a guild folds or doesn’t suit me or them. In a game I have had great times in the past it is a downer. :-(

Name it an expansion, name it an add-on, a new chapter, whatever but this game needs it big time. You would think by te success of Factions and Nightfall and Eye of the North Anet would realise people are willing to pay for that. I just think Anet have got lazy as why work hard to make new expansive event, quest, dungeon content when you can get away with a little (in relation to an expansive add on) every other fortnight and getting folks to pay for new cosmetic items.

The game is purely a business model and Anet seem to have no pride in making it better except in ways to max profits to effort.

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

(edited by joneb.5679)

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Has it occurred to anyone that the next dragon is Kralkatorik? Mordremoth became a more imminent threat which is why we’re there. Has it also occurred to us that not all dragons have to be part of the lame waste of time that is LS 2? Zaithan was not he was part of the game. Both Cantha and Elona can be launched with the dragon region in it.
The Chrystal Desert could be part of the Elona expansion. The deep sea dragon could be part of the Cantha expansion. Better yet we already have seen Cantha and Elona in GW 1, why does it have to be part of GW 2. As an expansion we could have a totally new continent never before seen in GW 1.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I was about to create a post describing in detail all of the things they could do to fix this game….

Then I realized that it was futile – Anet will not make any radical changes to the game.

They might listen to some minor changes.

But if you’re looking for them to make major changes in direction – it’s not happening.

They just don’t see the writing on the wall, and when they do, it will be too late to do anything about it, as everyone will have left.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I am going to show this in every discussion I have with White Knight Anet kitten kissing Vayne.

Thank you, you are my hero.

I laughed. You realize that Vayne holds GW2 in the highest regard only because s/he loves the game and understands both the shortcomings and successes of GW2/Arenanet, right?

It’s the whole reason why Vayne is always playing the devil’s advocate and white knight role at the same time.

And yes, I know that GW2 is going to crash and burn if Arenanet keeps rolling down the path they’re on, but that doesn’t make me love the game and company any less. It just doesn’t make me love them any more. I’m going to say what I’ve told myself since the luster of launch left me: GW2 has a ton of potential. I’m just waiting for Arenanet to bring out the diamond that it can be.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Hello,

5. 7 elite missions
6. 4 Holiday events

thanks,

Pixels

By buying Gems in the first place you are part of the reason there is no expansion. It’s gem-buyers that lets them focus on gem buyers in stead of having a expansion focus.

Not to mention that not only are we missing out on the expansion we also get a lesser game for it where many cosmetics (and other fun stuff) is locked behind a boring gold grind or behind cash in stead of it being available behind fun game elements like it should be in a game. Meanwhile people complain about the lack of end-game while collecting many of those things in a game-way (quest, dungeons and so on) is end-game for many of us.

So it’s basically your own fault and meanwhile you also did this to all other players. Anyway let this be a lesson for the future never buy cash-shop stuff in any game ever even if they use good marketing tricks to lure you into buying. (Well I don’t even agree with that completely, lets say GW2 was a true B2P game with an expansion every year and they only sold a few things in a cash-shop like addition character slots and a total make-over kit and a name changer it would be fine to buy that but thats out of the scope here).

Many gem-buyers like to tell themselves they help to support the game but really they help to destroy the game. Lets hope many people did stop buying gems much sooner because if they would all stop today (like you did) and now Anet would still have to change there tactic it would already been to late to set stuff right. In fact it might already be but we will see.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

I was about to create a post describing in detail all of the things they could do to fix this game….

Then I realized that it was futile – Anet will not make any radical changes to the game.

They might listen to some minor changes.

But if you’re looking for them to make major changes in direction – it’s not happening.

They just don’t see the writing on the wall, and when they do, it will be too late to do anything about it, as everyone will have left.

Exactly, need we say more? No expansion by 2015 would be equal to Anet 6’ under.
I don’t know what the fuss is all about. I only know numbers Anet staff 2000-2005, 170 employees, result GW 1 after 5 years, one year later 2006 to the day Cantha emerges, October 2006 Elona emerges, August 2007 Eye of the North emerges. August 2012 GW 2 comes out now Anet has 370 employees, August 2014 all Anet has produced map wise, Southsun Cove, Dry Top and that is the extent of our perma content. Labyrinthine Cliffs is a once a year deal and not a normal map.
Now you know why the game is getting emptier by the day.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

I’m going to say what I’ve told myself since the luster of launch left me: GW2 has a ton of potential. I’m just waiting for Arenanet to bring out the diamond that it can be.

That’s what I’ve been telling myself since the beginning but I’m getting sick of waiting. Arenanet are sit on a gold mine and they let dust cover it.

The LS season 2 is the best thing that has happened to this game’s PvE since launch, but if that’s how the company wanted to expand its PvE, that should have came sortly after launch, not 1.5 years later. 2 years later the game should have at least one expansion.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I’m going to say what I’ve told myself since the luster of launch left me: GW2 has a ton of potential. I’m just waiting for Arenanet to bring out the diamond that it can be.

That’s what I’ve been telling myself since the beginning but I’m getting sick of waiting. Arenanet are sit on a gold mine and they let dust cover it.

The LS season 2 is the best thing that has happened to this game’s PvE since launch, but if that’s how the company wanted to expand its PvE, that should have came sortly after launch, not 1.5 years later. 2 years later the game should have at least one expansion.

I agree. I’d rather spend quality money for quality content then be shoved all this fluff for… well… just as much money.

It was cute for the first 5 months… but it’s been dragged on for almost 2 years.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

ANet will be bankrupt a dozen times before that happens.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I’ve given up.

I log in every once in a while when I’m bored, but I will never give Anet another penny.

To do so, would take a complete 180 from them.

They would have to release TONS of new content – entirely new regions to play in, new class or two, new playable race, new dungeons.

Some major changes to the combat system, to the open world, to dungeons.

Basically, this game practically needs a reboot.

100% of dev feedback suggests they are no going to do this.

They only want suggestions on really minor things.

Every indication shows they are NOT adding any major content updates or expansions or any major overhauls of core gameplay.

They are staying the course.

I’ve been slowly working on getting map complete (at 83%) now – but really I’m just wasting time when I have nothing else to do.

I used to buy stuff, both practical and cosmetic – it was my way of supporting the game, in hopes that the revenue would fund more content.

But it didn’t.

Instead of new content, we just get the run around.

So I stop buying stuff.

It’s that simple.

Either make a bunch of new content, or you get no money from me.

Iason Evan.3806

With how the community has reacted to some of what they announce I can understand a reluctance to talk about upcoming content or features til they are out. If they have an expansion pack in the works though, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t want to say that one is coming because that could really get a lot of people back into the game. They don’t have to tell us what’s in it. Just that it’s coming. The frustration for me lies in not knowing if we are getting content like that at all. At some point it’s better to just take the silence as if nothing is coming and move on.

When GW2 was hyped originally, you could look at the staggering amount of content in GW1 as a litmus test. We knew what ArenaNet was capable of in terms of how much content they could pump out. Sadly, this game isn’t as interested as GW1 was in new maps or even adding tons of new content to existing maps.

Posted by: CalamityO.2890

CalamityO.2890

If Anet were to fore-go their own stance regarding LS and bring out an expansion, it will really make them look stupid and directionless. They pretty much have to stick it out with their current stance. And push out content that is expansion worthy. Which isn’t in the eyes of the many.

inthecubbyhole.wordpress.com

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

I can understand that they do not want to talk about specifics, but they need to talk about what their overall plans are for the game. What is the direction of the game? What is their long term vision? Some of us want some reasons to keep playing.

Is there an expansion, living story 3, new classes, weapon skills, etc. So far, we only know there will be a continuation of living story S2 and the feature pack, but that stuff is coming soon. There isn’t anything else to look forward to.

If you compare to other MMOs, they release a statement of their goals, whether its an expansion or content updates. Just look at Blizzard, and how they gave players info on their new expansion. Look at Rift, with their promotions of an expansion and other things. ESO and Wildstar have laid out plans for their future too.