Guild Wars 2 in the years

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: syfro.6873

syfro.6873

Let me give you a sneak peek on what the developers are currently set on..

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-03-its-unlikely-guild-wars-2-will-ever-get-an-expansion-pack

Yes, here is some proof that GW2 will probably not get an expansion pack, but they will continue on with the Living Story. We all know that this game isn’t going to make it if we don’t get some real expansion, and with the upcoming new MMO’s that are coming out ANET and NCSOFT should be very scared.
Let me clarify something, if you are going to blame ANET for all of the things that are done wrong in this game, then don’t. Stop ranting on them because it’s all NCSOFT’s fault right now.
1. I’d like to see any kind of expansion where the living story can take place in new areas.. and frankly your running out of areas to put living story in, unless your going to put it in somewhere like Hirathi Hinterlands..
2. Give me an option where me money is given to ANET instead, I should have the right to give MY money to WHO I was to support in the making of the game.
3. With the upcomming new MMO’s on the block, I don’t think GW2 has the mettle to compete with the new and ambitious content developers that they have.
4. WvW is one of your diamonds in the rough, so why don’t you update it more often, and not just focus on PVE, because currently WvW is endgame.
5. NCSOFT needs to understand that ditching your MMO’s and using the money to fund different games is like amazingly stupid. Their literally dumping their BEST MMO that they have been working on for 8 years+GW2.
6. Give ANET some leeway to make things that the community wants, and seriously MAKE COMMUNITY POLLS. Instead of insisting on the Living Story, take a vote with the community and see (The results might surprise you).
7. Ebonhawke has a gate to Crystal Desert

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Most people already know that we won’t see an expansion in the next Time, and I’m perfectly fine with that. I’d rather have bi-weekly free updates rather than an expansion.
And I don’t fear other MMOs, they have to go through the phase first that Gw2 has already been through. You haven’t seen much of those games either, and of course they promise much, every developer promises much and doesn’t even hold on to half of that, even Anet.

To your Points:

1. The Living Story will probably take place in new Areas very soon, as Anet said that now that they have a full rotation of festivals for the next year they can focus on more permantent and Storydriven Living Story Content, so I’m really looking forward to that.

2. NCsoft is the Publisher, the wallet of this game. You put your money into this wallet, and NCsoft decides if it opens itself for ArenaNet. Thats how Publishers work, sadly.

3. As I said before, everything sounds better on Paper or looks better in Preview videos, I don’t really think that any of those new MMO’s can live up to their promises, it’s hard to develop MMO’s, I think out of all Genres of Gaming MMO’s are the hardest so succeed with.

4. Patience, Friend.

5. As said before, NCSoft is a Publisher, a Buisness, they only care about money, as expected, you need to accept that.

6. A big amount of players enjoy the Living Story, yeah, the results would surprise you

7. Yeah, and we’ll probably be soon able to walk through that.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

We all know that this game isn’t going to make it if we don’t get some real expansion, and with the upcoming new MMO’s that are coming out ANET and NCSOFT should be very scared.

We all know this? Really?

I’ll tell you what I know.

Most new MMOs end up disappointing, if not right away, soon after. Shiny is shiny…but it’s long term that really tells the story.

I don’t think we all know any such thing. First no one knows if any of the new MMOs coming out will be any good. All we know is what is said about them before release. Secondly, Guild Wars 2 has a year at least before they have to worry about any other MMO, during which time content can be released.

Most importantly, I don’t think an expansion will make or break this game. I think people are programmed to expect an expansion, but for most games expansion packs come out when the game needs to be revitalized. Just the fact that there’s no expansion planned shows the game is doing better than expected. That and the fact that Anet keeps hiring.

Your opinion is just that. Your opinion. But I don’t think you should talk for everyone, because I disagree with your conclusion.

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i expect when the cash shop doesnt support the game well enough there will be an expansion. its my opinion its gem sales that fuel the living story and will continue to fund it. it could be year 2 could be year 5 depending on how good the content is and if people continue to fund it via cash shop. so no maybe this could be a game without expansions. i personally prefer expansions but this is a decent enough game i guesss ill wait and see

Posted by: Thorn.7963

Thorn.7963

GW1’s first anniversary had a new continent, 2 new classes, new skills for every class, new armor, a new story, new henchmen, new pvp maps, and more…

I doubt we’ll get even half of that here….

Vayne.8563

GW1’s first anniversary had a new continent, 2 new classes, new skills for every class, new armor, a new story, new henchmen, new pvp maps, and more…

Right, but even with the new expansion (which you had to buy anyway), there was still less content in Prophecies and Factions together than there was in Guild Wars 2 at launch.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Right, but even with the new expansion (which you had to buy anyway), there was still less content in Prophecies and Factions together than there was in Guild Wars 2 at launch.

Quality over quantity.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

Quality over quantity.

Still most people say “MORE! MORE!” Not “BETTER! BETTER!”

Vayne.8563

Quality over quantity.

Do you mean non-pathed content,. the ability to swim, an actual trading post? Because for my money, Guild Wars 2 is at least as good as Guild Wars 1. And you’ve changed your tune anyway. You were saying we won’t get as much. Now you’re making a different argument.

There were plenty of good things about Guild Wars 1, and plenty of not so good things too.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Quality over quantity.

Do you mean non-pathed content,. the ability to swim, an actual trading post? Because for my money, Guild Wars 2 is at least as good as Guild Wars 1. And you’ve changed your tune anyway. You were saying we won’t get as much. Now you’re making a different argument.

There were plenty of good things about Guild Wars 1, and plenty of not so good things too.

We won’t get as much and the quality of what we do get won’t be as high. Anything else?

The table is a fable.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

I wish that ANet was still accepting refunds. I was really looking forward to box sales as motivation for them to bring out quality content.

:(

(edited by stayBlind.7849)

stayBlind.7849

Quality over quantity.

We won’t get as much and the quality of what we do get won’t be as high. Anything else?

I agree … when one new skin on the gem store costs as much as one GW1 expansion I really do not see why ANet would consider making a new box sadly.

The two reason I played GW1 were the unique skill system (I consider the condition and regen/degen system as part of the skill system) and the fact that from level 2+ you were playing in a group (with henchmen or players). These two things were the reason I could play despite the terrible movement system, the terrible story, and the terrible cutscenes and voice acting. These things were unique because, to this day, I have not found a single game that works this way.

GW2 took what unique systems GW1 had and replaced them with typical ‘seen it before’ game mechanics such as: passive skill trees, forced solo based gameplay (until you hit your first dungeon at level 30), mario-esque jumping puzzles, and a fantasy version of EBay for all of Tyria to ‘play’.

Yea, there were bad things in GW1 just like there are bad things in GW2, but for me the good things in GW2 are not enough to justify me logging on for 4 years like they did in GW1. (I am guessing that the two co-founders of ANet leaving mid-development of GW2 had a lot to do with this.)

To me it feels like ANet created something unique that no other game can compare to when they created GW1. GW2 just feels like more of the same MMO snooze fest mechanics rehashed so that they seem new and shiny.

Anyways, like I said in an earlier post, I wish I had realized they were giving refunds when they were; my fault for missing that I suppose.

(edited by stayBlind.7849)

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

have you been listening to Dontain? these posts seem to pop up once or twice every month, I just wish a dev or someone with a more objective view of life finally answer these threads and keep them closed for good, they give nothing constructive and spread misinformation

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

How I feel after 1 year into the game

Attachments:

Vayne.8563

Quality over quantity.

You know this how, exactly?

Vayne.8563

Quality over quantity.

I agree … when one new skin on the gem store costs as much as one GW1 expansion I really do not see why ANet would consider making a new box sadly.

The two reason I played GW1 were the unique skill system (I consider the condition and regen/degen system as part of the skill system) and the fact that from level 2+ you were playing in a group (with henchmen or players). These two things were the reason I could play despite the terrible movement system, the terrible story, and the terrible cutscenes and voice acting. These things were unique because, to this day, I have not found a single game that works this way.

GW2 took what unique systems GW1 had and replaced them with typical ‘seen it before’ game mechanics such as: passive skill trees, forced solo based gameplay (until you hit your first dungeon at level 30), mario-esque jumping puzzles, and a fantasy version of EBay for all of Tyria to ‘play’.

Yea, there were bad things in GW1 just like there are bad things in GW2, but for me the good things in GW2 are not enough to justify me logging on for 4 years like they did in GW1. (I am guessing that the two co-founders of ANet leaving mid-development of GW2 had a lot to do with this.)

To me it feels like ANet created something unique that no other game can compare to when they created GW1. GW2 just feels like more of the same MMO snooze fest mechanics rehashed so that they seem new and shiny.

Anyways, like I said in an earlier post, I wish I had realized they were giving refunds when they were; my fault for missing that I suppose.

I don’t think Guild Wars 2 is a typical MMO at all, and I’ve played a bunch of them. The design decisions that went into making Guild Wars 2 (even though many have been separately in other MMOs), when put together, create a very different experience.

You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but I can’t think of any MMO worth playing for 3 months, and here I am playing Guild Wars 2 for a year.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

I’m delighted for ArenaNet to carry on giving me new stuff for free every two weeks. I’m a bit puzzled by this decision, though, since I’d be happy to buy an expansion, and I know many others would, too.

stayBlind.7849

Quality over quantity.

I don’t think Guild Wars 2 is a typical MMO at all, and I’ve played a bunch of them. The design decisions that went into making Guild Wars 2 (even though many have been separately in other MMOs), when put together, create a very different experience.

You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but I can’t think of any MMO worth playing for 3 months, and here I am playing Guild Wars 2 for a year.

I agree that we are both entitled to our own opinions, and I am glad that you find enjoyment in GW2. I do not deny that GW2 brings a different twist to features that you find in other games but to me this is not enough; the end result to me just feels like the same old thing.

Anyways, I hope you find as much enjoyment in GW2 as I did in GW1; I guess I will just keep waiting for another company to pick up where ANet left off with the GW1 systems that I enjoyed so much.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just to clear up some misinformation: ArenaNet co-founders Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt left ArenaNet to take roles at NCsoft West in 2008, and ultimately left NCsoft in 2009. Hardly midway through the development of GW2. Barely when it had started, if not before.

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

We all know that this game isn’t going to make it if we don’t get some real expansion, and with the upcoming new MMO’s that are coming out ANET and NCSOFT should be very scared.

Speak for yourself plz. Why would you want to wait 6 months for a big update when you can have a constant flow of smaller updates on a biweekly basis?

As for the upcoming MMOs that you mentioned, which ones are you refering to?

stayBlind.7849

Just to clear up some misinformation: ArenaNet co-founders Jeff Strain and Patrick Wyatt left ArenaNet to take roles at NCsoft West in 2008, and ultimately left NCsoft in 2009. Hardly midway through the development of GW2. Barely when it had started, if not before.

Thank you for clearing that up. I still believe that two co-founders leaving ANet at the start of such an ambitious project was extremely detrimental.

stayBlind.7849

Speak for yourself plz. Why would you want to wait 6 months for a big update when you can have a constant flow of smaller updates on a biweekly basis?

A constant flow of what… do X for Y amount of times quests that eerily place themselves where quest logs would normally appear?

Vayne.8563

A constant flow of what… do X for Y amount of times quests that eerily place themselves where quest logs would normally appear?

Actually, some people really do like the minigames. Take the Zephyr Sanctum. Some people enjoying finding those crystals and figuring out how to get to them (not everyone uses Dulfy you know). And then there was Sanctum Sprint. You might not have liked that, but I find it a blast.

I spent far more time running Sanctum Sprint than I would have in say a new dungeon.

Of the minigames released, I really enjoy Dragonball, Sanctum Sprint and Southsun Survivor. Now, I understand you might not have, but to me, that stuff is a lot of fun…and fun is why I play games in the first place.

Hell, I even enjoyed Crab Toss.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Perhaps his knowledge originates from the same place where this…

" Just the fact that there’s no expansion planned shows the game is doing better than expected."

…does.

Ashen.2907

For me its because I cannot expect to be able to play enough in a two week period to fully experience this new content before it goes away. If I completely forgo all other content I may be able to partake of a significant portion of the temporary bi-weekly content patches, but generally not all. So, to a large extent, the biweekly updates don’t actually exist for me. I get to glance at them and then they are gone.

Larger updates with a longer development schedule have the potential for more intricacy and polish. They are also less likely to be missed for those who cannot play on a daily basis.

Were the bi-weekly updates permanent additions to the game I would be more supportive of the concept. As it is they essentially mean that the game is stagnant for me.

Vayne.8563

Perhaps his knowledge originates from the same place where this…

" Just the fact that there’s no expansion planned shows the game is doing better than expected."

…does.

Traditionally, most MMOs make expansions when interest starts to flag. You don’t have to believe this, but it’s true. I know it’s true because of the number of devs that have said so over the years. I know it’s true because WoW population falls off until the new expansion comes out, when it picks up again. This isn’t mysticism. It’s relatively well known. You can research this and find it out pretty easily.

Logically, if a game isn’t getting the traffic it needs, an influx of cash is helpful. Bringing out an expansion brings in money because people buy the expansion or in F2P games, they play the expansion but they spend money in the cash shop again.

If the game isn’t doing well, a company (and yes I’ve had some attachment to the industry, at least indirectly) will look to bring attention back to the game. If the game is doing well, you don’t release an expansion, because they take a lot of work and investment and you save that expansion until such a time as it can be used as an ace in the hole, such as when a competitor comes out with a new expansion or a promising new game. In other words, expansions are used quite strategically.

Even in it’s stock call, NcSoft said they would release an expansion at a time when it would maximize profits. Obviously the gem store must be making money or an expansion would be planned.

Or do you think that Anet released free content every two weeks, and it gets paid for by the slowing box sales?

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

The most recent quarterly sales figures show that GW2 sales are down about 20% from the previous quarter. I think that Anet chose a direction that they can’t turn around from anymore. I don’t think they really have the choice to start working on an actual expansion.

However, China is coming first. That will give them profit I would think and I would guess a lot of it. It won’t be till the sales go down there that an expansion would come into the horizon.

In the end NcSoft is Korean and I would guess that once China is on board, the west will be second place again for them logically because that’s where the main sales will be. Once China drops in sales, that’s probably when an expansion might come, but I’m sure they’ll see if they can keep the game going strong there with the current set up, because if they don’t need to make an expansion there, they wouldn’t want to invest into the west. That’s just business.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

The biweekly free updates would be awesome if they actually added stuff that stayed in the game. All these content patches and we don’t exactly have a lot to show for it at this exact moment…

This whole removing content idea isn’t exactly on my list of favorite creative things an MMO has done.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

The biweekly free updates would be awesome if they actually added stuff that stayed in the game. All these content patches and we don’t exactly have a lot to show for it at this exact moment…

This whole removing content idea isn’t exactly on my list of favorite creative things an MMO has done.

They’ve said already that they’d be working on putting in more permanent content into the living story and that this new patch on the 20th would be the start of that.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

“In the future, you’ll see a wider array of content and experiences in each release, with a greater focus on permanently expanding content.”

The part where they mention that this new patch will be the start of that, I don’t quite remember where I read that, but if someone digs around I’m sure they can link the source.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Am i the only one who cannot stand their Living Story crap? Absolutely nothing, not a single thing came from it and was enjoyable. Do i want this to last for the years to come? Nooooooo. I want it to die and be forgotten.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Vayne.8563

The most recent quarterly sales figures show that GW2 sales are down about 20% from the previous quarter. I think that Anet chose a direction that they can’t turn around from anymore. I don’t think they really have the choice to start working on an actual expansion.

However, China is coming first. That will give them profit I would think and I would guess a lot of it. It won’t be till the sales go down there that an expansion would come into the horizon.

In the end NcSoft is Korean and I would guess that once China is on board, the west will be second place again for them logically because that’s where the main sales will be. Once China drops in sales, that’s probably when an expansion might come, but I’m sure they’ll see if they can keep the game going strong there with the current set up, because if they don’t need to make an expansion there, they wouldn’t want to invest into the west. That’s just business.

This post has a bit of misinformation in it or at least a bit of misdirection. Sales of Guild Wars 2 in fact ARE down, but sales from the tradiing post aren’t reported at all, which means over all profit isn’t known.

It’s obvious that a buy to play game will slow in sales. Virtually all games do. The most copies of a game are sold within 3 months of it’s release for virtually all games. I know this because it was my business to know this. I was a software buy for a retail outlet. But for MMOs with cash shops, sales figures by themselves are meaningless.

It’s the cash shop figures that are going to be important in the long run. After all, people buy the game once…but they can keep spending money on gems.

Vayne.8563

Am i the only one who cannot stand their Living Story crap? Absolutely nothing, not a single thing came from it and was enjoyable. Do i want this to last for the years to come? Nooooooo. I want it to die and be forgotten.

Nope you’re not the only one. There are a lot of people like you.

Fortunately for Anet there are also a lot of people like me. There are many MMOs that cater to your crowd. I think it’s about time there was one for my crowd.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Actually, some people really do like the minigames. Take the Zephyr Sanctum. Some people enjoying finding those crystals and figuring out how to get to them (not everyone uses Dulfy you know). And then there was Sanctum Sprint. You might not have liked that, but I find it a blast.

I spent far more time running Sanctum Sprint than I would have in say a new dungeon.

Of the minigames released, I really enjoy Dragonball, Sanctum Sprint and Southsun Survivor. Now, I understand you might not have, but to me, that stuff is a lot of fun…and fun is why I play games in the first place.

I’m not going to argue that the mini-games were boring, I also enjoyed a lot of them (some had potential but got squandered), but the rest of the content was just dull

As an example:

Dragon Bash -

Run around bashing pinatas
Run around lighting effigies
Run around activating holos to kill already-existing mobs that spawn
Stand in spot X at Y time

Sky pirates

Run around activating holos repeatedly in hopes of spawning pirates
Run through already-existing areas to get to chests and kill pirates

Bazaar

Run from ore node to ore node
Run to already-existing areas to collect parachutes
Run from NPC to NPC

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Vayne.8563

I’m not going to argue that the mini-games were boring, I also enjoyed a lot of them (some had potential but got squandered), but the rest of the content was just dull

As an example:

Dragon Bash -

Run around bashing pinatas
Run around lighting effigies
Run around activating holos to kill already-existing mobs that spawn

Sky pirates

Run around activating holos repeatedly in hopes of spawning pirates
Run through already-existing areas to get to chests and kill pirates

Bazaar

Run from ore node to ore node
Run to already-existing areas to collect parachutes
Run from NPC to NPC

Some of your points would be well taken if you felt you had to grind that stuff out. But if you’re just running around the world normally, you have two weeks to get those pirates. After the first two days, no one went for them, meaning it can be done in two days. It also means just doing my normal dailies, I completed the pirates without grinding. You can grind and “get it out of the way” but it doesn’t have to be done like that, and I wouldn’t recommend doing it like that.

More to the point, the kite baskets in existing areas being boring….this gave me a chance to revisit some of my favorite jumping puzzles that I haven’t looked at at for a long time. It also encourages other people to go and try those things…the people who didn’t find them or do them in the first place. I know several people in that category.

But most importantly, for most of the stuff, it really is optional. Unless you’re an achievement hound, there’s no real reason to do this stuff. Unless you want the mini, or want the back piece. That’s a choice.

Every MMO is going to provide busy work, because every MMO eventually runs out of content for you to do. Most games expect you to play 20 hours or less…MMOs expect you to play hundreds of hours. And no one can give you hundreds of hours of unique material, that’s different. So there’s busy work. This is the fault of the genre more than the game.

But as I said, you can do this stuff without grinding if you want to. Just do it a bit at a time, in between other things. If you break a couple of pinatas every time you go to LA, by the end of two weeks (or actually a month in this case), you’d have them all broken without grinding at all.

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Some of your points would be well taken if you felt you had to grind that stuff out. But if you’re just running around the world normally, you have two weeks to get those pirates. After the first two days, no one went for them, meaning it can be done in two days. It also means just doing my normal dailies, I completed the pirates without grinding. You can grind and “get it out of the way” but it doesn’t have to be done like that, and I wouldn’t recommend doing it like that.

More to the point, the kite baskets in existing areas being boring….this gave me a chance to revisit some of my favorite jumping puzzles that I haven’t looked at at for a long time. It also encourages other people to go and try those things…the people who didn’t find them or do them in the first place. I know several people in that category.

But most importantly, for most of the stuff, it really is optional. Unless you’re an achievement hound, there’s no real reason to do this stuff. Unless you want the mini, or want the back piece. That’s a choice.

Every MMO is going to provide busy work, because every MMO eventually runs out of content for you to do. Most games expect you to play 20 hours or less…MMOs expect you to play hundreds of hours. And no one can give you hundreds of hours of unique material, that’s different. So there’s busy work. This is the fault of the genre more than the game.

But as I said, you can do this stuff without grinding if you want to. Just do it a bit at a time, in between other things. If you break a couple of pinatas every time you go to LA, by the end of two weeks (or actually a month in this case), you’d have them all broken without grinding at all.

Doing it in 2 days or 2 weeks won’t change that it’s dull to do.

An another problem with it is that if it can be done in 2 days, it has no retention value. Take what I would assume is a large portion of the player-base – players that have done all the content and seen all there is to see. 2 days worth of basic repetition is not going to keep them, and stretching it out over 2 weeks means they are still left with no real new content other than either a minigame or a dungeon.

Taking the above examples – dragon ball was fun, but it was broken due to AFKers.
The pirate dungeon was fun enough for those that wanted a challenge, but once you mastered it you had no real reason to do it again. Same for the JP.

Bazaar was a step in the right direction – multiple mini-games, puzzles and events kept players busy for a longer period of time. But for those that wanted more serious game-play there was very little added

So while the living story is doing an OK-ish job of plugging holes, GW2 is still leaking players because there is no real new content to keep players interested

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Secondly, Guild Wars 2 has a year at least before they have to worry about any other MMO, during which time content can be released.

Not true.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

says you. And the LS are continuing expansions, they just do not charge us for them – if anything, that would be the major disadvantage vs. full blown expansions businesswise.

- Let me clarify something, if you are going to blame ANET for all of the things that are done wrong in this game, then don’t. Stop ranting on them because it’s all NCSOFT’s fault right now.

I´d say you are really misjudging the roles of publishers vs. developers. Publishers may set economical targets, finance or decide when the plug is pulled (and not all apply in all cases, there are a lot of models how those two player cooperate in the gaming industry), but they rarely take direct intervention or even interest in a game´s content.

1. that being said, I wouldn´t mind a paid expansion.

2. None of your business really and you have absolutely no idea about the financial allocations between anet and NCSoft

3. Since MMOs are on the market, each and every gaming forum has been full of those doom threads. Who guarantees any of soon to be released games will be better? totally subjective view of yours.

4. I agree.

5. They understand that and are doing no such thing.

6. No, players usually make horrible game designers.

7. It does. but they could add any new area they want to as we do not travel physically.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

This post has a bit of misinformation in it or at least a bit of misdirection. Sales of Guild Wars 2 in fact ARE down, but sales from the tradiing post aren’t reported at all, which means over all profit isn’t known.

Can you support that with facts? Because as far as I know sales are sales and not just box sales so as far as I’m concerned this does include gemstore sales. There is no way they can make an official financial report and just leave part of the sales out and keep it secret…I do believe that would be against the law.

So please, do enlighten us where they stated that they don’t include all sales revenue in their financial statements.

Perhaps it is you who is misdirecting things, but I am always open to actual evidence.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Personally I will be heading to FFXIV when it comes out later this month. Not because I think it’s better, but because I am a huge FF Fan and I found the beta fun when I played it. It does nothing new or ground breaking but it’s fun and I like the class system.

You know what’s great though? I don’t have to give up GW2. I only returned recently after taking a couple of months off and I had a blast. I’m feeling a bit bored again so FFXIV will be a nice break and I will still log on to GW2. Great thing about a game being "free:.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

As far as I’m aware there is no such thing as GW2 financials. That’s like saying you want to see the WoW financials instead of the Activision/Blizzard financials. The game is not an entity, the developer is and the publisher is, and I believe NCSoft is the one whose financials you will want to see.

http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ir/earnings.aspx Download the pdf.

As of May NCSoft revenue is up, both from L1 and GW2 which they describe as “stable”.

This is the latest financial release available from NCSoft which is from May.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

You don;t really need expansions to be a successful MMO. Look at RuneScape for example, like it or not, that’s probably right near the top of the most successful MMOs ever made list next to WoW. It has a very similar update schedule to GW2, 4 small-ish updates a month, and it’s been running for a decade and although player numbers have dropped since its heyday, it doesn’t show any signs of going off the market.

As to the new and upcoming MMOs, the only one I find mildly appealing is ESO. All the other ones when you break them down to what they’re really offering, its pretty much the same old mechanics of MMOs all over again. Take Wildstar for example, the stuff its hyping itself on: housing, some sort of a PvP base, etc, have all been seen before, bringing nothing new to the table. In fact, if you break it down, its basically WoW in space.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Guild Wars 2 in two years: Buy fully leveled 80 character for ONLY 6000 gems.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

Maybe Anet need something in the middle of the two extremes. Major expansions take too much time to develop and to wait for, but right now Living World content, which only last for a month each, are too frequent and too shallow.

So all they need maybe is release something in the middle of the two extremes, like a Living Content episode every 3 months that lasts for 3 months, but has more content than the current monthly release but less content than a major expansion.

So it will be like, Frost and Flame + Cutthroat Politics + Queen’s Jubilee released all at once but they are all happening at the same time for 3 months. That will give more time for people to play each content, or whichever part of the content they want, but not wait for a year for new content.

Vayne.8563

Doing it in 2 days or 2 weeks won’t change that it’s dull to do.

An another problem with it is that if it can be done in 2 days, it has no retention value. Take what I would assume is a large portion of the player-base – players that have done all the content and seen all there is to see. 2 days worth of basic repetition is not going to keep them, and stretching it out over 2 weeks means they are still left with no real new content other than either a minigame or a dungeon.

Taking the above examples – dragon ball was fun, but it was broken due to AFKers.
The pirate dungeon was fun enough for those that wanted a challenge, but once you mastered it you had no real reason to do it again. Same for the JP.

Bazaar was a step in the right direction – multiple mini-games, puzzles and events kept players busy for a longer period of time. But for those that wanted more serious game-play there was very little added

So while the living story is doing an OK-ish job of plugging holes, GW2 is still leaking players because there is no real new content to keep players interested

I love how people say that Guild Wars 2 is leaking players. Based on what, exactly. I’ve had more people returning to my guild than were leaving it.

At any event, the stuff we’re see now is pre when they had the bigger teams working n it. Only now is it catching up with the 4 team content, so maybe we should wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Because I’m already starting to see an evolution.

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

We got to go to Labyrinthine (sp) Cliffs. That was a new map in a new area.

Ashen.2907

I’ve had more people returning to my guild than were leaving it.

This is physically impossible.

Vayne.8563

Okay let me rephrase it so you actually understand. Some people left the guild. Some people came back and others joined. The guild is now 25% bigger than it’s ever been.

What I was trying to say before is that though a lot of people did leave, many are back playing.

The bottom line is that someone is saying people are leaving the game in droves…but a lot of those people are coming back. Some because they want to give the game another chance, some because they found the grass wasn’t greener after all, some because they actually like having new content every two weeks, some because their real life gives them more time to play…but they’ve come back.

So when I used to post and talk about the 90 some odd people in my Guild and I know have 117 people, they have to have come from somewhere.

Ashen.2907

Okay let me rephrase it so you actually understand. Some people left the guild. Some people came back and others joined. The guild is now 25% bigger than it’s ever been.

What I was trying to say before is that though a lot of people did leave, many are back playing.

The bottom line is that someone is saying people are leaving the game in droves…but a lot of those people are coming back. Some because they want to give the game another chance, some because they found the grass wasn’t greener after all, some because they actually like having new content every two weeks, some because their real life gives them more time to play…but they’ve come back.

So when I used to post and talk about the 90 some odd people in my Guild and I know have 117 people, they have to have come from somewhere.

Its not a matter of rephrasing it so that I understand. The statement was inaccurate.

I am glad, however, that your guild is growing.

Vayne.8563

Its not a matter of rephrasing it so that I understand. The statement was inaccurate.

I am glad, however, that your guild is growing.

The statement was said as humor. It wasn’t supposed to be technically accurate. One of the things I often say is that at my age, I’ve forgotten more than I’ve ever known. It’s just the kind of thing I say.