Guild Wars 2 is amazing :) Stop complaining.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

As far as Mechanics, combat and movement are concerned, there isn’t another MMO (IMO) that comes close. The foundation of this game, from that stand point, is exceptional.

The content… well, they’re working on that!

In conclusion, I agree with the OP. This is the best MMO (amazing) I’ve ever played, and I believe it will only get better!

Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I have been playing for about a year.

The opinions of vets are ofcourse valued, but I think there needs to be more good news stories about this game. I wanted the wider community and Anet to know that theres plenty of us that really love GW2 and appreciate the work behind it.

There will always be haters and those who are bitter, but the other side of the coin needs to see the light of day sometimes too

This.

Sometimes I am bitter about changes that are made to content I am comfortable with to my detriment, but GW2 is enjoyable, the combat system is innovative, the world is beautiful, the lore is engaging and I have fun playing.

Plus the dev team listens on big issues rather quickly.

The only caveats I have are the content pace and the approach to balancing the devs take. But seeing as how no game can be perfect, I can easily deal as they do their best.

Ps: psst. Violin > Gramaphone.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

GW2 is a good game but not crapy MMO.MMOs must have big longivite which GW2 is lacking.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

As someone who’s been playing since launch with around 3k hours logged, I’d say that gw2 isn’t repetitve or boring at all. I mainly play WvW (around rank 1400, a few ranks admittedly gained in EoTM) but dabble in fractals (only level 12 still for that), sPvP (low rank still, only rank 17), dungeons, living story and world boss trains occasionally. Hell, I’ve yet to do an Arah dungeon path or complete the aetherblade TA path. I still log on and think ‘kitten ot enough time to do that tonight’.

People not expanding into other game modes will most definitely get bored. You’re not experiencing the game as a whole but just a small fraction of it. What do you expect? Eat too much chocolate and you’ll get sick of that too, no matter how many different flavours and variations you try. No wonder they’ll complain

That said, development into areas outside of PvE is sorely needed. PvE gets all the attention and WvW and sPvP are crying out for more maps and changes. Especially WvW. We WvW players haven’t gotten anything substantial since they added wxp ranks and masteries

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: IcarusMelody.5312

IcarusMelody.5312

As someone who’s been playing since launch with around 3k hours logged, I’d say that gw2 isn’t repetitve or boring at all. I mainly play WvW (around rank 1400, a few ranks admittedly gained in EoTM) but dabble in fractals (only level 12 still for that), sPvP (low rank still, only rank 17), dungeons, living story and world boss trains occasionally. Hell, I’ve yet to do an Arah dungeon path or complete the aetherblade TA path. I still log on and think ‘kitten ot enough time to do that tonight’.

People not expanding into other game modes will most definitely get bored. You’re not experiencing the game as a whole but just a small fraction of it. What do you expect? Eat too much chocolate and you’ll get sick of that too, no matter how many different flavours and variations you try. No wonder they’ll complain

That said, development into areas outside of PvE is sorely needed. PvE gets all the attention and WvW and sPvP are crying out for more maps and changes. Especially WvW. We WvW players haven’t gotten anything substantial since they added wxp ranks and masteries

Implying that many players havent already seen the best and worst experience of all game modes. Then didnt play them to death due to lack of substantial content.

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

What WvW needs, I think, is new maps and mechanics. A friend and I once sat on a dock in the middle of summer and spitballed an entire design for such a thing, and we found that it did seem like something people would want to play.
Another thing, however, is that WvW team spirit was dealt a severe blow by the inclusion of megaservers, because server communities outside the Mists are now meaningless.
PvE still needs some love, too, though, because despite their focus on it, they haven’t done much that’s actually ‘great’ and living up to their potential.

Posted by: Titus.4285

Titus.4285

Guild Wars 2 is not that amazing Stop praising .

It used to be amazing. Then Living Story happened. And no matter how loud and constructive we complained, we were just ignored all the time. We are not destroying the image of the game. We cant destroy something which already has destroyed itself. We are merely warning all new players what they will possibly face.

I love Living Story. I think Season 2 is by far the best content they’ve released within the game. Season 1 however, I felt lacked quality and a coherent storytelling.
Not to say that I’m “right”, just to say that nobody is really.
And I’ve been a loyal player of the Guild Wars franchise since 2005, so I don’t really think anyone can say it’s because I’m a new player…

Your post, like so many others’, lacks perspective. And I think that’s what the OP is trying to address. You can’t just say “it’s broken”, and leave it at that. That’s when you’ll be told to just stay away.
Try instead to tell ANet how they could make certain aspects of the game better. You’re only one person, but if you got good ideas along with enough others – you just might end up contributing to improving the game – instead of harassing it.

Let the Kings and Queens of other lands and lesser creatures
witness our wonders and cry out in astonishment and humble themselves.
Beware our mighty works.

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

I have never made a better game purchase than GW2. I bought it late September last year and am rather casual, only have about 400-500 hours, but that was only for a 40-60$ purchase. People need to see the value of only paying one price for that much game time. This game is also extremely beautiful for an MMO, and most people in it are friendly that I have seen.

I love this mmo, and while I do await an expansion, it still offers hundreds of hours as it is, more than worth the money.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

:( Just think of the negative image you are portraying for new/potential players.

I’m actually hoping that new/potential players do get a negative image until they fix the trait system.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

I feel like a kitten now, though.

I’ve spent quite a few years of my life certain that this phrase means something else than it does. So I should thank you (I won’t though, ‘coz I’m a bit of a kitten). Besides, I get paid for pinpointing errors in my own language, so yeah. :P

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

(edited by Asmodeus.5782)

Posted by: ElusiveReaches.6097

ElusiveReaches.6097

New & Potential players, you will never have “Mad Memoires” this year.

Is only exclusive for old players…
-negative aspect of the game-

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’ve spent quite a few years of my life certain that this phrase means something else than it does. So I should thank you (I won’t though, ‘coz I’m a bit of a kitten). Besides, I get paid for pinpointing errors in my own language, so yeah. :P

Dude, you should feel even worse. Asmodeus isn’t even a native speaker.

Additionally, there’s nothing wrong with pronouncing the “t” in “often,” as even the dictionary lists both as valid.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: SYPHA.9283

SYPHA.9283

Forum PVP is more active than the ingame PVP. Im going to PVP here more often.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

You know, lets take an example here:

On these forums for over more then a year people have been complaining about things they disliked. Usually also saying it’s why many people left. That was then a reason for many of the fanboys to come in and tell only Anet knew if people left and those complainers where just a vocal minority and so we should not complain and so on.

One of the things complained about a lot was the whole rewarding system. I myself talked about how I think traditional quest should not have been removed but should there be next to the events.

Those would then guide players on there adventures sending them from one place to the other. Also about the rewards I said it is much more fun if you can earn one mini (usually use the mini example but you can replace that with many other things) because it drops from a specific group of mobs, another drops in a dungeon, another you can craft. About crafting I suggested fun crafts where every level you can make another fun items (think about the toys you now find in the cash-shop).

Those recipe’s would then also be all over the world. So people would have reasons to explore the world and do all these thinks in stead of map completing (what some people consider exploring) that is not more as crossing of a list of way points, vista’s, hearths and PoI’s. In fact if it was up to me they removed that as map-completion requirements. Also people now grind there crafts to 400 / 500 to then being able to make what they want.

This where some of my suggestions about it but many people have said many things about that over the last year.

What happened? Anet did not listen to that, however they did indeed see they had a hard time keeping players. So in stead of looking what players had been saying about that for over a year in the forum they created there own approach based on some numbers that in my option are partly wrong. (I really don’t believe people had a hard time doing / understanding the hearts)

They did indeed conclude people had no real intensive to / fun in the leveling process and so they came up with the NPE. That tries to address these things, but that exploded in there face. I also really wonder of much of it is really able to obtain people better. There are some positives in the NPE don’t get me wrong but there is also a lot wrong with it and i’m sure if they had listened to the complains it would have been better.

Maybe that if they see there changes don’t help they will start looking at what people have suggested (probably set up another CDI about it where there is 2 years of info about it already) but then it might already be to late.

Now my example is maybe not a good one in the way that it did not help because Anet did not do anything with it. But it does show that people did see those problems and did come up with solutions (what are likely much better as the NPE solution Anet came with).

That shows that those complainers can be very important for the future of the game.

As a side note: I do see “This is the best MMO” threads on a regular base, multiple times asking for less complaining. What I sadly however also noticed is that they usually are new players. (it’s something they then say in the thread)

You can wonder how many of those people who made those threads over a year ago are now still playing (or are now the complainers themself).

(edited by Devata.6589)

Guhracie.3419

Devata, as someone who is probably one of the people the OP is complaining about, I just have to say that ANET actually did address a lot of the things that were major issues in the NPE. Not everything, but it’s certainly gone through improvements since September 9th.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Devata.6589

Devata, as someone who is probably one of the people the OP is complaining about, I just have to say that ANET actually did address a lot of the things that were major issues in the NPE. Not everything, but it’s certainly gone through improvements since September 9th.

Yes thats true. You did not understand me correctly. I don’t mean after the NPE but before it. There where problem and people did make suggestions but Anet did not do much with those suggestions and complains.

They however did notice the same problems and came with there own solution (The NPE) and that went kinda bad. After that they did listen to the feedback they got based on that NPE. That’s true.

If Anet however did listen to what the people had to say the NPE patch would likely not have this bad in the first place and would likely also work much better as I think it will do now.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

A point I’ve made before but feel is germane to this thread: These forums are not toxic or overwhelmingly negative. Sure, I can see that some of the complaining does scare some people off (at least, some folk post “I looked at the forums after a hiatus and based on them I’m still not coming back.”) Yet there are also fun threads, civilized debates, CDI’s, and truly nasty posters getting infracted and banned.

My paid AA time isn’t up for a couple of weeks but it’s been a couple of weeks since I logged in. Any time I vaguely get the urge I just look at the AA forums and bam, the urge is gone thanks to the foulness there. Whereas I am frequently urged to a GW2 session just because someone posted something interesting to see in the game.

Most of the complaints here are constructive. The ones that aren’t get pointed out as ridiculous, with a remarkably low amount of bile for such a large online community. Rejoice, I say! Rejoice in how nice this forum is!

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

>Flawed or not, It’s a good game. It may not churn out content at an exciting rate but the combat system is miles above the other games on the scene.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

A point I’ve made before but feel is germane to this thread: These forums are not toxic or overwhelmingly negative. Sure, I can see that some of the complaining does scare some people off (at least, some folk post “I looked at the forums after a hiatus and based on them I’m still not coming back.”) Yet there are also fun threads, civilized debates, CDI’s, and truly nasty posters getting infracted and banned.

My paid AA time isn’t up for a couple of weeks but it’s been a couple of weeks since I logged in. Any time I vaguely get the urge I just look at the AA forums and bam, the urge is gone thanks to the foulness there. Whereas I am frequently urged to a GW2 session just because someone posted something interesting to see in the game.

Most of the complaints here are constructive. The ones that aren’t get pointed out as ridiculous, with a remarkably low amount of bile for such a large online community. Rejoice, I say! Rejoice in how nice this forum is!

Quite. A lot of people talking about forum toxicity here don’t have the slightest clue about what real forum toxicity is. This community is one of the best in the MMO genre.

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

Stop posting flaming posts. You are just making rage even bigger through this posts.

I will add mine personal opinion: game sucks without NEW VETERAN CONTENT updates.

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I have been playing for about a year.

The opinions of vets are ofcourse valued, but I think there needs to be more good news stories about this game. I wanted the wider community and Anet to know that theres plenty of us that really love GW2 and appreciate the work behind it.

There will always be haters and those who are bitter, but the other side of the coin needs to see the light of day sometimes too

This.

Sometimes I am bitter about changes that are made to content I am comfortable with to my detriment, but GW2 is enjoyable, the combat system is innovative, the world is beautiful, the lore is engaging and I have fun playing.

Plus the dev team listens on big issues rather quickly.

The only caveats I have are the content pace and the approach to balancing the devs take. But seeing as how no game can be perfect, I can easily deal as they do their best.

Ps: psst. Violin > Gramaphone.

How is the “combat system innovative”?

What “big issues were handled rather quickly” by anet?

How does anet “do their best” despite your “caveats”?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Swag.5364

Swag.5364

I appreciate the value of constructive feedback but the online GW2 community just seems so ungrateful and unappreciative Just think of the negative image you are portraying for new/potential players. I think more people should know how great this game really is.

If I was Anet and I read all the crap people complain about I would find it a little disheartening. So I’m posting for the first and only time to say the following:

Anet, I love this game and I think you guys have done a fantastic job. Thank you for all your hard work! Dont forget there are people that really appreciate this game and work thats gone in to it.

New & Potential players, come and give this game a shot and decide for yourself if you like it Don’t get caught up in the negativity of some people . The complainers are the loudest voices but there is a great community in this game if you give it a try.

-happy GW2 player

Don’t tell me what to do!

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Additionally, there’s nothing wrong with pronouncing the “t” in “often,” as even the dictionary lists both as valid.

That’s a recent innovation off of the consistency of other’s mispronunciations of often. The stem of the word often is “oft” with a suffix attached.

There are several examples in the English language where the stem ended with t and adding -en or -le to the end silenced it. While some have been lost with time, here are just a few examples:

list -> listen
fast [as in ‘held fast/secure’] -> fasten
haste -> hasten
moist > moisten
chaste -> chasten
nest -> nestle
wrest -> wrestle

Along with: trestle, gristle, thistle, glisten, castle, mistletoe and whistle.

Many of these other words aren’t mispronounced and the dictionary doesn’t see a need to change a grammatical rule outside of one kitten word.

Posted by: Cross.6437

Cross.6437

With the exception of Pvp and Wvw, everything you just mentioned boils down to repetition.

If you can imagine a way for pve not to be all about repetition you can tell us. Every MMORPG designer out there would love to hear it.

From my previous post:

Our pve is in need of attention for new repeatable content akin to a dungeon.

PvE is repetition by its very nature. That’s not exactly something we’re going to change.

What I’m saying is that at this stage of the game’s life, what a portion of us are wanting is new repeatable content akin to a dungeon. That is, something to introduce new unique rewards and challenges -something to change up our normal routines and introduce more novelty.

Eventually it too will become old. We’ll need more -be it another dungeon, another class, another race, whatever. It’s part of the natural growth of the game to add things like these to continue to hold on to our interest and time.

I’m not suggesting a new, groundbreaking thing to replace dungeons or overturn the way PvE works. I’m only stating that it is certainly time to add more (with regards to dungeons and such) to the already vibrant and immersive world in order to maintain our interest.

(edited by Cross.6437)

Guhracie.3419

That’s a recent innovation off of the consistency of other’s mispronunciations of often. The stem of the word often is “oft” with a suffix attached.

There are several examples in the English language where the stem ended with t and adding -en or -le to the end silenced it. While some have been lost with time, here are just a few examples:

list -> listen
haste -> hasten
moist > moisten
chaste -> chasten
nest -> nestle
wrest -> wrestle

Many of these other words aren’t mispronounced and the dictionary doesn’t see a need to change a grammatical rule outside of one kitten word.

You were a jerk when you corrected Asmodeus’ use of “en masse,” and you even copped to it. At least that was a proper correction. This is just an appallingly pedantic triviality. Language is a living thing, and you can cry about your linguistic purism all you want, but that doesn’t make it correct. Both are equally valid pronunciations, and it’s sad that you have stooped to that level of nit-picking.

-Mike O’Brien

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

Thank you. I think it’s a wonderful game, and I’m proud to be involved with the team.

- Would you still have your job if you said otherwise? Because every member of Anet team is saying something positive about the company and at the same time disclosing no information of particular importance it feels like watching news in North Korea. Also why can only those who bought the game already access these forums?

(edited by Zenith.6403)

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

After almost 2 years, GW2 is still one of my 3 favorite games. Sure it has some problems, so does every game I’ve played since Panzer General. Overall, I have a positive opinion of it and still hope for a boxed second campaign or expansion.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t think she’s pretending. It is possible to love one’s job, y’know. I recently resigned from a job I stayed in for 19 years and while in the end I left due to a management change, the work itself was vastly rewarding despite a lot of negativity towards it.

You can’t know how often a public defender hears “I want to get a real lawyer.” But then there were the people who thanked me for what I did (even if I lost a trial, they were happy I fought so hard for them) and the judges who sang my and my colleague’s praises, and the knowledge that I was helping to uphold the Constitution.

Gaile gets the chance to interact with gamers and developers, to enjoy a game she loves in a fun work place. I’m pretty sure her enthusiasm is genuine.

(edited by Donari.5237)

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Forum PvP. This is the NPE version. The Warhammer Online forums were the real deal.

Also in my opinion that was a much better game for PvP and RvR. In truth GW2 is so easy that I can multi-task and still do well. I don’t mean this as a negative, however.

Bellizare.5816

After almost 2 years, GW2 is still one of my 3 favorite games. Sure it has some problems, so does every game I’ve played since Panzer General. Overall, I have a positive opinion of it and still hope for a boxed second campaign or expansion.

Loved the original panzer general.

Posted by: Royale.5863

Royale.5863

I rarely complain, but when i do i get infractions

Anyway, this is a brilliant game. Fantastic combat mechanics, and a game mode unlike any other game (WVW). These two pieces alone set it apart and in no small way keep this game going.

What I usually complain about is the continual push towards squeezing the player base for money. They’ve nerfed farming, champ trains and the recent gem conversion debacle was the icing on the cake.

On top of which we’ve previously had numerous threads (non CDI) where players have requested features or fixes that have as yet to be fixed. And i’m talking a very long time span here. These threads had developer commentary however when necroed a year on, these lead to a lot of eggs on faces for ANET. So much so that they started banning and infracting forumers for necro-ing these threads.

Very poor form.

Personally I have no issues with the content and I do quite enjoy the game with +1000 hours logged. But I don’t like the shift away from giving the players the ability to play how they’d like rather than squeezing the player for more cash. There’s nothing wrong with companies wanting to make money. But not by taking away the tools previously available to players. Like i said, the recent gem conversion issue was a very overt ploy in actually a long list of changes that’s taken these tools away from the players.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

The only downside I find is that i have so much to do in Tyria, I struggle to find time for other games… And now.. Raids? But I just got into the fractal groove!

“Protecting New Tyria since August 24th, 2012.”

I wonder if people who call out the game for lack of content are really saying “content where I feel that I am making enough gold, per hour.”

Devata.6589

The only downside I find is that i have so much to do in Tyria, I struggle to find time for other games… And now.. Raids? But I just got into the fractal groove!

“Protecting New Tyria since August 24th, 2012.”

I wonder if people who call out the game for lack of content are really saying “content where I feel that I am making enough gold, per hour.”

No they are talking about content that is not about making gold.

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

>Flawed or not, It’s a good game. It may not churn out content at an exciting rate but the combat system is miles above the other games on the scene.

Not as good as Tera imo. But I haven’t played every class on both games so I could be wrong.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

Loved the original panzer general.

PG was my first pc game on my first pc, and it came out during my junior year of college. That game wore me out.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Perhaps, if by recent you mean, “dating to the nineteenth century.” The change in pronunciation to include the T was influenced by the rise in literacy at that time. There were few hard rules regarding grammar and pronunciation in English prior to the seventeenth/eighteenth century so it has been appropriate to pronounce the T for at least as long as it was previously considered inappropriate. Unless the individual you are correcting was born before the mid to late eighteen hundreds it is probably a bit off to correct him on this. If he is more than a century old it might be more appropriate to commend him for adapting to changes in the language that began more than a hundred years ago than to portray him as somehow wrong for using the language as it has existed for going on two hundred years.

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

OP, i would agree with you 100% in a heartbeat if was possible to me to just erase from my head all the outstanding & fantastic memories i have from GW1!!
In some way i wish i could…seriously!

I used to say: Please call this game something like “Tyria Online”, but never GW2!!

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

GW2 is a good game but not a good MMO.MMOs must have big longivite which GW2 is lacking.

you certainly strive for griders like majority if not all Korean games.

Just because GW2 is also casual friendly, doesn’t mean it’s not an mmo.

OP, i would agree with you 100% in a heartbeat if was possible to me to just erase from my head all the outstanding & fantastic memories i have from GW1!!
In some way i wish i could…seriously!

I used to say: Please call this game something like “Tyria Online”, but never GW2!!

by far I don’t understand ol’ Gw1 players who for past 2 years and further try to compare Gw2 with Gw1.
What’s the point really?
Has been already stated, that Gw2 has it’s own mechanics, way of evolving etc.
Is it that hard to accept?
For me – not.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

(edited by Tao.5096)

Posted by: nerovergil.5408

nerovergil.5408

Yes. guild war 2 still number 1 mmo.

Because the last time i check world of warcraft it has subscription fee. I wont play any mmo that has subscription fee.

because archeage is a quest grind game. pve maniac

gw2 balance between pvp and pve

somehow, when anet increasing gem price, i wont buy any gem until they revert it back to a reasonable price.

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

At the risk of derailing my point, I do have a pet peeve of incorrectly using words or phrases. En masse? Really? How do you complain “all together” – did you and all of the other yous decide to go on a complaining-spree? En masse isn’t like “a lot” – it’s a term used to describe a whole body or a whole group which doesn’t seem to fit within the syntax of the sentence.

It’s just a small pet peeve that I usually try to ignore. Asmo just got unlucky that he was second post.

This made me laugh I needed that…

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

list -> listen
haste -> hasten
moist > moisten
chaste -> chasten
nest -> nestle
wrest -> wrestle

You were a jerk when you corrected Asmodeus’ use of “en masse,” and you even copped to it. At least that was a proper correction. This is just an appallingly pedantic triviality. Language is a living thing, and you can cry about your linguistic purism all you want, but that doesn’t make it correct. Both are equally valid pronunciations, and it’s sad that you have stooped to that level of nit-picking.

I fail to see how it’s nit-picking when it’s a grammatical rule that was uncharacteristically voided on one word because just about anyone could broadcast on NPR and since hooked-on-phonics is the go-to for everyone who doesn’t know how to pronounce word (not that this is necessarily a bad thing), there was a sudden influx of people pronouncing the “t” in often.

I would be more in place if we evolved the language rather than accepted regression and revisited some of our archaic grammatical rules. But since Merriam-Webster will be the staple for all future grammatical needs, I don’t see such rational decisions being made any time soon.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

My negativity is to balance out people like you who praise the game nonstop. By playing devil’s advocate I help people make a more informed decision.

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

My negativity is to balance out people like you who praise the game nonstop. By playing devil’s advocate I help people make a more informed decision.

You know what I agree both groups are needed. The Universe needs balance but sadly their is a group of people who argue because they would rather argue or “one up” people then try and make informed critiques. The NPE is a HUGE example of that. During the release of the NPE the amount of misinformation going around was truly mind blowing. None stop praise is bad but none stop and misinformed complaints is worse. Ive already said this one and ill repeat myself. Murder in the name of passion or love is still murder you will still go to jail so please lets calm down with the whole “I talk trash because I really love the game”. If you love the game you’d critique but you wouldn’t want to start a boycott or anything that would destroy the game. Murder is still murder even if your doing it out of “love”. And honestly the line of people who critique because they want to improve the game and the ones that want to destroy it because of some personal grudge is kinda blurry atm.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: Apparition.1576

Apparition.1576

To the OP..

I think you misunderstand the critics. A lot of complaints are from LONG time fans of the franchise. I have been a huge fan of arena net since the launch of Guild Wars 1. I constantly provide support to arena net with money out of MY pocket. I tend to think that arena net values its fan base.. let alone fans who fiscally contribute to their success.

I have a hard time logging on these days and playing the game for hours at a time. Yet, I still check the forums almost everyday and still browse for some cool stuff to purchase from the gem store. I try to find new ways to play the game and to enjoy the characters I have built and created. As was said earlier, do not discredit others because you are a casual player who enjoy playing casually. MMO’s have a history of being for the long term players. Trust me when I say that when all of the hardcore players decide to stop playing the game.. this game will surely die.

With all due respect, the hardcore players opinions should be heard and respected or else the game you claim to love so much will start to die.. once that happens the game becomes a LOT less fun…

One day.. all of you shall submit to the Flame Legion…. to me… I AM BLADABOS

Posted by: brittitude.1983

brittitude.1983

list -> listen
haste -> hasten
moist > moisten
chaste -> chasten
nest -> nestle
wrest -> wrestle

With those particular words, did you consider it is the “st” part of the word that when adding a suffix silences the “t”?

If not consider these words:

Rotten
Eaten
Frighten
Straighten
Shorten
Forgotten

I may be biased since I pronounce the t in “often”.

Edit:
Sorry for not addressing the thread topic also.

I enjoy playing gw2. I have been playing since early start and have yet to find myself without something to do in the game. I haven’t taken time off and it isn’t because I feel like I have to log in everyday. I really enjoy the game and it is a nice release from the real world.

(edited by brittitude.1983)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

It is an unfortunate truth that the unhappy minority tend to be the most vocal. People that are content usually remain silent, rather than actively praise the game so forum traffic is usually mostly negative in the majority of MMO’s.

There’s also the fact that very few people actually make use of the GW2 forums, compared to how many play the game.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

(edited by rapthorne.7345)

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

You’re definitely in the minority. The current state of the game couldn’t possibly be any more repetitive, and implying the rest of us haven’t experienced other avenues in GW2 is idiotic. Two years and counting since the players who made GW2 what it is (or was) and nothing substantial has come in the way of PvE, WvW or sPvP.

And we’re still waiting for the gem conversion fix. I’m sitting on 550 gems and refuse to buy 400 more just so I can buy the noble’s outfit. Gaile did say they are working on it, but should it really take this long?

Bellizare.5816

You know what I agree both groups are needed. The Universe needs balance but sadly their is a group of people who argue because they would rather argue or “one up” people then try and make informed critiques. The NPE is a HUGE example of that. During the release of the NPE the amount of misinformation going around was truly mind blowing. None stop praise is bad but none stop and misinformed complaints is worse. Ive already said this one and ill repeat myself. Murder in the name of passion or love is still murder you will still go to jail so please lets calm down with the whole “I talk trash because I really love the game”. If you love the game you’d critique but you wouldn’t want to start a boycott or anything that would destroy the game. Murder is still murder even if your doing it out of “love”. And honestly the line of people who critique because they want to improve the game and the ones that want to destroy it because of some personal grudge is kinda blurry atm.

The misinformation during the NPE is actually a huge example of ANET’s inability to communicate with the player base.

Seriously, were we supposed to read their minds?

Just like the tp revamp that fell on our heads with no prior warning.

It’s not murder. It appears to be suicide.

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

From my perspective, there is nothing wrong with complaining about flaws. It’s the manner that some people complain that just ticks me off sometimes. I get that they can be quite angry, but perhaps a more constructive approach rather than a full on rant would be more helpful for developers to take said feedback seriously.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Bellizare.5816

From my perspective, there is nothing wrong with complaining about flaws. It’s the manner that some people complain that just ticks me off sometimes. I get that they can be quite angry, but perhaps a more constructive approach rather than a full on rant would be more helpful for developers to take said feedback seriously.

Angry people are not likely to offer constructive input.

And one of the things that they often are angry about is that the developers don’t take feedback seriously or at all.