Guild Wars 2 is not the answer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I found the OPs statement to be very profound. Sad only deaf ears have responded for the most part.

I’ll go a step further.

Get out of your chair and experience the real world. if it is too much for you, don’t look to have the void filled by a game.

If you feel it is a spiritual thing you require. I will chat with you in private messages

I’m so tempted to go and edit Wikipedias definition of the word “irony” to accomodate your post.

Irony: People on the internet telling people on the internet to go outside.

+1 This is golden!

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Wow, an eleven paragraph post that says if you don’t like it, leave. How very constructive.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

False.

Anything that is easy is not worth doing.
Anything that is difficult is worth doing..

Wow, could you be more wrong?

Reading a book isn’t difficult, but it’s sure as heck worth doing.

Appreciating poetry isn’t difficult but it’s sure worth doing.

Playing with a baby and making it smile isn’t difficult, but it’s sure worth doing.

For that matter, making someone smile and laugh isn’t always difficult, but sure worth doing.

Walking in the rain isn’t difficult; splashing in puddles isn’t difficult; just about anything a child takes pleasure in isn’t difficult; but they’re all worth doing.

Going to a play …. well you get my meaning …

Likewise, there are any number of horrifying things that are very difficult but not worth doing.

And there are plenty of examples in the game as well – Vistas, Talking to NPCs, Roleplaying, Exploring, Coloring your armor, Helping out newbies …

Making this post wasn’t difficult, but it was sure worth doing.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: TheProphetOmega.3596

TheProphetOmega.3596

@killcannon.2576 no, that over simplification was not the intended message of the Op, I´ll give you a TL;DR version:

If you do not balance out the components that make up your life, whatever these components may be, then GW2 or any other game or activity for that matter cannot give you solace or serve as a form of fulfilling escapism, so its ok to move on, although its even better to stay and have fun in any of the possible ways this game can offer.

sure we can all whine and cry about disliking stuff, but most of the times the things that makes us uncomfortable are really undetermined and hard to put into words, and when we manage to put them into words most arguments come out as trivial or egotistical, in the way that we are angry because things do not adapt to us instead of us adapting to them, like forcing a wrong jigsaw piece into place, completing a jigsaw puzzle like that is not only inefficient or silly but serves no purpose than annoying ourselves and others!

cheers!

I am the wonder, I am the storm.

killcannon.2576

@killcannon.2576 no, that over simplification was not the intended message of the Op, I´ll give you a TL;DR version:

If you do not balance out the components that make up your life, whatever these components may be, then GW2 or any other game or activity for that matter cannot give you solace or serve as a form of fulfilling escapism, so its ok to move on, although its even better to stay and have fun in any of the possible ways this game can offer.

sure we can all whine and cry about disliking stuff, but most of the times the things that makes us uncomfortable are really undetermined and hard to put into words, and when we manage to put them into words most arguments come out as trivial or egotistical, in the way that we are angry because things do not adapt to us instead of us adapting to them, like forcing a wrong jigsaw piece into place, completing a jigsaw puzzle like that is not only inefficient or silly but serves no purpose than annoying ourselves and others!

cheers!

“Don’t complain, just accept and move on”. I got it the first time.

Hint: A tl;dr shouldn’t be two paragraphs long.

Edit:
Nothing has ever been accomplished without conflict. Complaints, conflict, imposing will upon our environment, meeting challenges head on, improving ourselves, solving problems.

You’re doing it with this post. Injecting your ideas and thoughts in a way to make a change in attitude or behavior of others. You use negative connotations to describe positive actions like “whine” “cry” “dislike” “trivial” “egotistical” “annoying”. Almost every single so called positive poster uses more negative terminology in their posts than the people who actually have issues with the game. I would say the “pure positives” have more rl issues than the people who are trying to be constructive.

Change is annoying, isn’t it? Take a long look through history and you can see what happens to people who try to change the status quo, and see what forms of language their detractors used.

Being afraid of change is ok, tearing down others because of your own fear is not.

(edited by killcannon.2576)

TheProphetOmega.3596

Lolz!

No!, don’t move on if you don’t want to, but you wont find solace here…
hows that?

Hint: Not all follow rules, some like reading

I also had a laugh at my uber long TL;DR

:)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I just wanted the game to be as good or on a par with its predecessor, is that too much to ask, apparently so…

To me it is not, not by a long shot, even Prophecies..

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It feels like the OP is talking about someone that’s not me and that makes me happy. My life has meaning, and videogames are merely a past time. A hobby. I don’t want nor need traditional grinding endgame. There’s no eternal loneliness or failure I’m trying to cover up with being a boss raid leader or having gearscore. No compensation of any kind.

OP, I hope there’s more like you and me in this game, people who are happy and sane, and want to stay that way while playing games.

Yes because people who finish content faster than others have no meaning in their lives. Having something to do for those of us who need it is not a cover up for failure, either.

I guess I’m insane and have no meaning in my life if it means I actually have goals and pursue them at any point in time.

No wonder we are screwed, there are way too many different people trying to mold this game right now.

Some people, if they’d put only half the effort in real life, as they did in videogames, they’d be millionaire. I’m talking people who play more than 5 hours a day, and then complain content is too easy.
There’s nothing wrong with having goals and pursuing them. However if those goals only exist in a virtual world, or progress is only made towards virtual goals, you should have a good look at yourself.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

killcannon.2576

It feels like the OP is talking about someone that’s not me and that makes me happy. My life has meaning, and videogames are merely a past time. A hobby. I don’t want nor need traditional grinding endgame. There’s no eternal loneliness or failure I’m trying to cover up with being a boss raid leader or having gearscore. No compensation of any kind.

OP, I hope there’s more like you and me in this game, people who are happy and sane, and want to stay that way while playing games.

Yes because people who finish content faster than others have no meaning in their lives. Having something to do for those of us who need it is not a cover up for failure, either.

I guess I’m insane and have no meaning in my life if it means I actually have goals and pursue them at any point in time.

No wonder we are screwed, there are way too many different people trying to mold this game right now.

Some people, if they’d put only half the effort in real life, as they did in videogames, they’d be millionaire. I’m talking people who play more than 5 hours a day, and then complain content is too easy.
There’s nothing wrong with having goals and pursuing them. However if those goals only exist in a virtual world, or progress is only made towards virtual goals, you should have a good look at yourself.

Is this not the same as saying “If you’re goals or reason for being do not align up with what I or society prescribe them to be, then you are flawed” ?

Life is how you decide to live it, not how others decide to live theirs.

Personally I hate ponies

Attachments:

(edited by killcannon.2576)

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Can’t argue with the Imperium … well, you can, but you’ll admit your mistake before the end …

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

marnick.4305

Is this not the same as saying “If you’re goals or reason for being do not align up with what I or society prescribe them to be, then you are flawed” ?

That’s true as long as your lifestyle does not infringe on the lifestyle of others. If you can provide for your own life, by your own means, I will not judge. If you need welfare support, which I pay for, to support a lifestyle of excessive gaming, I will be the first to criticize you.
While that may seem harsh, the taxes on my monthly salary breakdown are harsh too. Currently I’m on a level where I literally support 3 people through welfare. If those people play videogames instead of looking for a job, I sure have a problem with that.

On the other hand, if you can make a sufficient income by working 3 hours a day, and play games the rest of the day, feel free. That’s absolutely your right. Society has no right to prescribe a valid lifestyle, as long as you can support it through your own means. However, if you depend on society for your lifestyle, you put the validity of your lifestyle on trial for society. Can’t have it both ways.

I hope that post is as balanced as I intended it to be. I only take a moral stand over hardcore people I effectively pay for. If you have a job and manage to play hardcore at the same time, fine.

Personally I hate ponies

Let’s agree to disagree on that one.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

I agree with OP 100% and glad it’s been said. People saturate this game for literally everything it has so quickly because it has that MMO title and people expect more and more and more all the time. They also tend to forget all the content they played through to complete it and removed all satisfaction because they are so incredibly focused on getting to their goal which in a game like GW2, doesn’t exist as much as in other games. Then people come to these forums to moan about the fact that the end of their goal isn’t as rewarding as they thought, even though the developers said themselves it’s the journey that’s the main focus in this game.

People also tend to forget the amount of time they’ve spent playing this game to get to their goals. In reality you’ve probably played this game for months, or at least 1 month 5 hours + a day. I would say you have gotten your moneys worth from that amount of time and it’s just the title of MMO that makes you think you haven’t. If you went out and bought a game for the Playstation or Xbox, or even an offline game on PC, it’s very unlikely you’ll spend that long playing it therefore it lasts longer. It certainly would get boring quicker than GW2 anyway.

It’s just psychological, people see other MMO’s and expect the same in every single one released but in reality that would be even more boring. If GW2 was released as a WoW clone everyone would complain saying it was a WoW clone. The MMO market has to be one of the most unforgiving and “tough to please” markets in the world due to the almost obsessive nature of the consumers. I will admit I fall into that category occasionally, and I’m not really sure why. I think because these games replicate life so much that it is very easy to just fall into this game for hours and get lost if you’re feeling sad about reality.

This really isn’t an escape though, and while a lot of people treat it as one you still have to focus on reality more than online. As the OP has said GW2 isn’t the answer to whatever problems you have in reality. They don’t just go away because you play a game. Actually that is the problem with MMO’s and it has literally just hit me. MMO’s are a lot like drugs, they give you a release from reality. It’s definitely 100x better than actual drugs, I’m not saying it’s bad, but people get addicted to them for the escape they give. However, just like drugs (although nowhere near as much) they effect your health. Mental health more than physical, but people have been known to die from excessively playing them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People probably think I take this game too seriously. The truth is, I do this with everything all the time, no matter what it is. When I’m into something I’m into it. Just the way I am. Psychologists probably have a name for it.

When I was young I was into Star Trek. When I was writing I was into writing. When I’m gaming, I’m into game and usually one game specifically, at least at a time.

I go through these phases all the time. I guess I’m an all the eggs in one basket kind of guy.

On the other hand, what I like about the game probably has as much to do with social contact and hanging out with people I enjoy as the game itself.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I agree. Guild Wars 2 is not the answer. It is the question. The answer is “yes”.

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Thanks for creating such topics. Really amazing, did you study philosophy? No? Awesome! Btw: if you write in the second person plural, it means you are excluded as an individual. But as you in the same boat playing guild wars 2, you should correct the text into first person, plural. Thank you!

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Posted by: Jaall.3420

Jaall.3420

Thanks for creating such topics. Really amazing, did you study philosophy? No? Awesome! Btw: if you write in the second person plural, it means you are excluded as an individual. But as you in the same boat playing guild wars 2, you should correct the text into first person, plural. Thank you!

Funny thing is I studied both psychology and philosophy and it doesn’t really matter if you did or not, I think this is pretty obvious for some people. Also I’m personally not putting everyone into this category only summarising that the people who do go around complaining about every little thing in this game like it’s a massive deal has probably saturated the game for all it’s worth. Notice I said probably, I never said everyone or anyone specifically, and stated that I too fall into that category on occasion so have included first person.

It’s all very well trying to be clever but you saying that speaking in 2nd person excludes anyone from being an individual is silly because in this case it can be the only way to speak. For example, if the person has studied psychology and philosophy, but also plays very casually without any care in the world then there would really be no way to include yourself in that analogy. First person wouldn’t get your point across and third person is rather specific and would seclude a specific part of the community which would be a lot more insulting. By making a point and then generalising by saying “they would feel that” or “they would say that” you’re simply making a point rather than being aggressive.

I don’t know who that post was aimed at, but I thought I would just stand up for anyone in here who has had their say agreeing with the OP. It makes a nice change that someone on here says something nice about the game that we love to play, and the OP has a very good point that is accurate with the attitudes of a lot of people in and out of the game (not just the GW2 community). Lastly you don’t personally know if anyone here has studied philosophy or psychology, so how can you make that argument and then answer it yourself as “no”?

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

Are you trying to say that people need to learn to play? I feel a lot of people do not know how to play anymore. Interesting website about why kids have fun playing while we have not.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Could we all just stop to do some kitchen sink psychology why someone has an opinion (in that case about end-game) or not? I’m personally quite fine with that so called end-content but that does not mean that everyone has to think the same.

marnick.4305

Could we all just stop to do some kitchen sink psychology why someone has an opinion (in that case about end-game) or not? I’m personally quite fine with that so called end-content but that does not mean that everyone has to think the same.

Sure that’s one way to look at it. But currently there’s a handful of MMOs on the market. All other MMOs cater to hardcore people primarily, while GW2 is the only one catering specifically to people with limited time.

So while people could differ in opinion, they should consequently differ in game too, instead of trying to destroy the game we all love by making it into a wow-clone.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

That’s something completely different imo. I agree with you and like I said imo the end-content is ok. But that does not mean that someone who misses that part is somehow trying to fill the “void, and meaninglessness of his/her life” or something. He might but who am I to say so when I don’t know the person.

I hate it when someone depreciates my ideas and wishes as “you want everything handed to you, you got no skill etc…” But I think that kind of assumtions is doing the same to “the other side”.

Posted by: Esya.3427

Esya.3427

That’s something completely different imo. I agree with you and like I said imo the end-content is ok. But that does not mean that someone who misses that part is somehow trying to fill the “void, and meaninglessness of his/her life” or something. He might but who am I do say when I don’t know the person.

I hate it when someone depreciates my ideas and wishes as “you want everything handed to you, you got no skill etc…” But I think that kind of assumtions is doing the same to “the other side”.

I do agree, but I do think that a lot of people do not know how to play anymore. And they might not be trying to fill “the void and meaningless of his/her life”, but I often feel that what is there is not valued. Sometimes I do it myself, being trapped by the carrot on the stick. Playing because I feel I want the reward rather than playing to have fun (hello daily laurel!). I have not done SAB because it was not fun for me, but it took me a real change in mindset in order to do so. It meant missing out on achievement points, titles and weapon skins. But why playing for the reward if the content is not enjoyable to you?

I feel a lot of people “complaining” about end-game content play for the rewards mainly. Ofcourse not all of them and it is just my limited view.

I am not sure what kind of discussion the OP aimed for. If it was kitchen psychology, discussing end-game or a request to discuss your opinion in a civil way. But this is what sparked in my mind while reading it.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

OP is trying to parse down the emotions and state of people into a static assumption of their overall condition. A common logical flaw that most preachy people make.

Being disappointed with things or unhappy about some things at times does not equate to some lack of overall happiness in all other aspects of life.

There’s nothing wrong with being happy at one moment and unhappy the next. The experience of all of life’s emotions isn’t inherently problematic so long as a healthy balance is sustained and that balance is different for each person. Only the individual can truly know the right balance for them self.

Beating your chest like you know other random strangers better than they know themselves really just comes across as arrogant and ignorant.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

That’s your opinion, and thankfully some of us relax in our free time instead of working even more. Have a good look at your own self, and tell me if you would be truly happy working 18 hours a day. Guess what, I have no desire to be a millionaire! Scary right? Examine your own life if it’s full of empty work chasing money

I like to play video games when I’m not working, if you like to work when you aren’t working…well…enjoy the early grave.

Also, I finished this game in 2 months playing about every other day 2-3 hours. So it’s not like I’m playing all the time. I have a family as well.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Anything that is difficult is worth doing.

Both statements are blatantly false. There are a lot of easy things that are worth doing and/or need doing. There are a lot of things that are difficult, and yet completely without any value. Those two things are often completely disconnected from each other.

I don’t want to derail this thread but; I’d like to use a real world example.

Any easy task you can think of will one day be replaced by machines. There will be no human labor required. We use our ingenuity to overcome cumbersome obstacles and tasks that we don’t want to do.

If we continue to condition our brains by feeling rewarded after completing easy tasks; we risk developing a behavior that will automatically make us choose the path of least resistance.

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

Personally I hate ponies

If your goals or reason for being is to play a video game, seek professional help.

Letting people live their own life how they want to live it is great, right up to the point where their life style is doing either themself or others harm. That’s when it becomes a problem. There is gambling, drinking, drugs, and (what some fail to include) gaming.

If you reach the point where a game becomes your reason for being, then you certainly crossed the line from playing as a favored pastime to addiction.

As for myself…

Reason for Being: Well, I have two children.

Life Goals: Again, I have two children so making sure they have a successful start on life is number one. I rent a house, I would like to pay a morgage on a house (something that should happen in a few years). I have my career for which the goal is to retire at 55 with a full, indexed, pention and not to be working until I’m dead.

Now like I said before, if you are only doing yourself harm, then I don’t care so much. However, if you are getting by on welfare and sitting at the computer all day plaing video games when you should be collecting a paycheck for working, then yeah I have a problem. You’re basically living off my (and other working people’s) tax money so you can play video games all day.

Aeonblade.8709

Personally I hate ponies

If your goals or reason for being is to play a video game, seek professional help.

Letting people live their own life how they want to live it is great, right up to the point where their life style is doing either themself or others harm. That’s when it becomes a problem. There is gambling, drinking, drugs, and (what some fail to include) gaming.

If you reach the point where a game becomes your reason for being, then you certainly crossed the line from playing as a favored pastime to addiction.

As for myself…

Reason for Being: Well, I have two children.

Life Goals: Again, I have two children so making sure they have a successful start on life is number one. I rent a house, I would like to pay a morgage on a house (something that should happen in a few years). I have my career for which the goal is to retire at 55 with a full, indexed, pention and not to be working until I’m dead.

Now like I said before, if you are only doing yourself harm, then I don’t care so much. However, if you are getting by on welfare and sitting at the computer all day plaing video games when you should be collecting a paycheck for working, then yeah I have a problem. You’re basically living off my (and other working people’s) tax money so you can play video games all day.

I don’t think he meant video games should be your only goal…rofl.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Both statements are blatantly false. There are a lot of easy things that are worth doing and/or need doing. There are a lot of things that are difficult, and yet completely without any value. Those two things are often completely disconnected from each other.

Any easy task you can think of will one day be replaced by machines. There will be no human labor required. We use our ingenuity to overcome cumbersome obstacles and tasks that we don’t want to do.

If we continue to condition our brains by feeling rewarded after completing easy tasks; we risk developing a behavior that will automatically make us choose the path of least resistance.

Your example does not apply to games. Games are not tasks. If you turn a computer game into into a task and create routines to completely automate it, you are no longer playing the game.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

OMG I was feeling like this too! All I could think about was damage, damage, damage. I forgot what really made me love my character. I’m back on track though

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Your example does not apply to games. Games are not tasks. If you turn a computer game into into a task and create routines to completely automate it, you are no longer playing the game.

Yes it does.

Research has shown that video games stimulate our brains far more than any other form of digital entertainment. The social nature of video games produce collaboration skills. Video games teach us problem solving and decision making skills. They teach us how to think critically and most importantly; they teach us how to fail. How to not be afraid of failure and how each failure brings us closer to success.

Some games can do this well. Others don’t.

Aeonblade.8709

Games most certainly have menial tasks. I’ll use the board game monopoly for example: Old school monopoly had a person assigned to be the banker, and distribute funds among the players. Some of the newer versions, even if they were met with poor reception, included credit card style swiping for purchases and gains.

The fact that people still prefer the old hand counted money method over something clearly easier, more advanced, and pretty much one of the reasons we have science to begin with, shows that people are already conditioned to repeat menial tasks even when there are better options readily available, thus dumbing down our society even further than it already is. Just use the card swiper, and use the time you saved by not counting out money for the 40000th time in your life to do something productive, like math that matters.

If you need a video game example, look no further than anyone who does not want a LFG tool. It servers no purpose but to make your in game run more efficiently, yet so many resist these. Why? Do you really fear change that much? Is it really necessary to repeat the 30 minute task of trying to find a group in LA over and over again because these people don’t like things changing?

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

TheProphetOmega.3596

Esya.3427 great site you shared! thanks! reminds me of the principles of impeccability proposed by the Castaneda´s entourage, which BTW I try to exercise in most of my waking hours.

Dahkeus.8243 Why so grumpy and judgmental my friend? the greatest logical flaw is pretending to understand all the subtle subtext in an all encompassing forum post!
In no way did I meant to judge or point finger at anyone, all opinions are valid, however flawed they are, if and only if, the transmitter can at least articulate properly whatever she, he or it was ranting about!

If something at least is gained by our collective efforts, is discussing in a meaningful way the sense and meaning of our goals and our pleasures derived from our GW2 experiences, we are discussing meaning and sense, the game becomes part of our lives, after all we spend valuable time in it, there is no proper way to do things, just efficient and inefficient paths to the same places, its up to us to decide where or when and most importantly how!

Lets keep this community sane, friendly and helpful, most of you know how most gaming forums are like, and how anonymity distorts our behavior, so far so good!

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Taking the harder path when the easier one exists does not make the action more worthwhile when you are interested in the goal, but not the road.
You have also been given several examples of actions that are certainly worthwhile while remaining relatively easy. Riding a book, sleeping, talking an evening walk. Difficulty is worthwhile only when your goal is challenging yourself – that’s actually a minority of our daily activities.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Yes it does.

Research has shown that video games stimulate our brains far more than any other form of digital entertainment. The social nature of video games produce collaboration skills. Video games teach us problem solving and decision making skills. They teach us how to think critically and most importantly; they teach us how to fail. How to not be afraid of failure and how each failure brings us closer to success.

Some games can do this well. Others don’t.

Yes, and in order to gain these benefits, you actually have to play. Bots are not learning anything.

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

I stop reading after the first sentence :p

R.I.P Kumu <3

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I stop reading after the first sentence :p

With that screen name I am surprised you made it past the 2nd word

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

You what mate?

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

I agree. Guild Wars 2 is not the answer. It is the question. The answer is “yes”.

Wrong. The answer is 42.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.