Guild Wars 2 - is the name still suitable?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If the OP had made a complaint that a game called Guild Wars 2 should at least have guild halls, like GW1, then he might have had a point.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Piogre.2164

Piogre.2164

Star Trek Enterprise- is the name still suitable?

If we look back at the original series of Star Trek, a “trek through the stars”, and exhibiting new worlds and civilizations was, (generally speaking), the focus of the show. Throughout new series (Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager), the name Star Trek became less and less representative of the actual core show – the focus increasingly shifted to expanding the overarching plot (That is at least my opinion based on watching all of the content since release of Star Trek: The Original Series). Since Star Trek Enterprise launch, i feel like the name is not appropriate and should be changed to something more descriptive of its actual content. (I understand the early beginnings of Star Trek: The Original Series had alot of stars and treks between them in it, but still, its been along time since then and things have changed).

Example : I am a guy and i go to the store. I see Star Trek Enterprise and buy it. My initial thoughts would be:
“Wow! Star Trek Enterprise! Man, i can’t wait to watch the Enterprise trek through the stars and stuff.”

When really, the name like Enterprise- The Later Years or whatever would be much more suitable if you know what i mean.

Do we have stars in the show? yes. Do we have treks in the show? yes. But those treks are NOT star treks but it is a journey of advancing the plot. There is no Epic journey to explore strange new worlds in the show. (the only time star trek is mentioned in the show is in the title.). That is like saying A New Hope should be named “Star Wars” because there was a war in space. —> No Star Trek in Star Trek Enterprise. Everything about treks between stars – star trek is a leftover from the prequels The Original Series, The Next Generation of the original show.

Ladies and gentlemen, OP’s argument applied to anything else.

[VIG], SoR
Main: Asuran Engineer — Alt 80’s Ra-T-M-G-El-N-W-En-En-Re-Ra
Doctorate in Applied Jumping

(edited by Piogre.2164)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t believe the original game was named Guild Wars because of a bit of history that’s completely and utterly irrelevant to every aspect of the actual story of the game.

Naming a game after a completely and utterly irrelevant bit of history that has no bearing on anything found in the game itself would be an act of idiocy of a magnitude so enormous, I can’t believe anyone writing a game would fall victim to it.

More specifically, I can’t believe the people who developed the original Guild Wars were capable of such idiocy. They must have had something else in mind when they decided upon the title. What could that have been? Mmm… perhaps one of its PvP modes? And maybe they just seeded the world’s history with some pointless bits about warring guilds in an attempt to have it make the tiniest amount of sense for PvE players?

That’s what I chose to believe, and no one is going to make me think differently. The alternative would be that I’d have to consider the people who made Guild Wars to be idiots, because only idiots would name a game after a completely and utterly irrelevant bit of history that has no bearing on anything found in the game itself. And I refuse to believe they were idiots.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m enjoying this debate.

The Burninator

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Guild can claim a fort in WvW, when different forts are claimed by different guilds, there you have Guild Wars. No matter the name is named behind PvP concept or PvE lore, the name sounds quite suitable to me.

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

It is the second in a series of games called (for whatever reason) Guild Wars.
Yes.
The name is still appropriate.

/endthread

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t believe the original game was named Guild Wars because of a bit of history that’s completely and utterly irrelevant to every aspect of the actual story of the game.

Naming a game after a completely and utterly irrelevant bit of history that has no bearing on anything found in the game itself would be an act of idiocy of a magnitude so enormous, I can’t believe anyone writing a game would fall victim to it.

More specifically, I can’t believe the people who developed the original Guild Wars were capable of such idiocy. They must have had something else in mind when they decided upon the title. What could that have been? Mmm… perhaps one of its PvP modes? And maybe they just seeded the world’s history with some pointless bits about warring guilds in an attempt to have it make the tiniest amount of sense for PvE players?

That’s what I chose to believe, and no one is going to make me think differently. The alternative would be that I’d have to consider the people who made Guild Wars to be idiots, because only idiots would name a game after a completely and utterly irrelevant bit of history that has no bearing on anything found in the game itself. And I refuse to believe they were idiots.

So either people choose to agree with you or they’re idiots?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Since many of the original team were ex-Blizzard employees, Guild Wars is also a reference to Starcraft.

On another note:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game). Guild Wars was designed from the ground up to create the best possible competitive role-playing experience. Success in Guild Wars is always the result of player skill, not time spent playing or the size of one’s guild. As characters progress, they acquire a diverse set of skills and items, enabling them to use new strategies in combat. Players can do battle in open arenas or compete in guild-vs-guild warfare or the international tournament. Engaging in combat is always the player’s choice, however; there is no player-killing in cooperative areas of the world.

Competitive!

Ayrilana.1396

Or

Guild Wars is a competitive online role playing game that rewards players for their skill more than for the number of hours that they can play. It offers an involving story set in a beautiful world, and allows each player to discover the depth of the story through multiplayer cooperative, multiplayer competitive, and single-player missions. It’s about always having fun, rather than preparing to have fun, and avoids such traditional drawbacks as endless travel, spawn camping, item looting, and excessive death penalties.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars/561040p1.html

Published before the game was released.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Or

Guild Wars is a competitive online role playing game that rewards players for their skill more than for the number of hours that they can play. It offers an involving story set in a beautiful world, and allows each player to discover the depth of the story through multiplayer cooperative, multiplayer competitive, and single-player missions. It’s about always having fun, rather than preparing to have fun, and avoids such traditional drawbacks as endless travel, spawn camping, item looting, and excessive death penalties.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars/561040p1.html

Published before the game was released.

Yes, I already pointed out the competitive nature of the game, but thanks for another link.

Posted by: Emplate.8791

Emplate.8791

Totally agree with the op! The name really isn’t representative of what this sequel is, compared to its predecessor…
Let me make a couple of ssuggestions on what it SHOULD be called…

It’s obvious this game is centred around combat/war-like scenario set across the world. and of late I’ve been quite engrossed in crafting… But it still is the second in the series, so it should obviously be called…
World of Warcraft 2.

Ok ok, that may not work…
How bout this one then… The op specifically focused on the Guild vs Guild pvp as reasoning for the game title
And it’s clear there is a lack of any of that carried over from the first game. Instead we have WvWvW, or world wars if we follow guild wars as a naming template. But it is still the second in the series, so we must have that in the title.. So with that, it most certainly be called..
World War 2!

You just wait for the expansion revealing the true puppet masters of the dragons… The kittens!

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Guild Wars 1 was originally named for the PvP concept. As Indigo referenced, however, they did add the Guild Wars lore and backstory. I think the concept of the Guild Wars was more or less something they added when they realized their PvE was becoming extraordinarily good. Having a continuation to Tyria’s story in the form of “Guild Wars 2” seems entirely appropriate.

Where’s the source that this was why they named it? This is what a large amount of the thread is about. Someone posts here claiming (without evidence) that GW1 was named because of GvG and that since GW2 currently does not have GvG then its name doesn’t apply anymore.

It was quite some time ago but back around GW1 launch and a few years following, there were a lot of claims about the game being primarily PvP and PvE being added later – the validity of the claims are up for debate, though.

Posted by: vana.5467

vana.5467

Regarding the PvP focus in the early game:

“This is what we’ve all been working for all this time. You know, Guild Wars, we built it from the ground up as a competitive game and of course this is the ultimate expression of that competition right here.” – Mike O’brien at the faction championship in 2006.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74HhIS-TS10 (43:10)

I’d also argue that when you create a game specifically to have a high skill ceiling, you’re naturally catering to a PvP crowd.

Sadly, Anet decided to go another way after a few years, and the monetary reward for competitive play dried up. I believe they could have a caught a large chunk of the future LoL players (and the whole MOBA craze) early on if they’d handled the game differently. It’s quite ironic that their later attempt at an esport flunked magnificently, when the original came so close without them even realizing.
Anyway..

As for the name, I have no doubt that it originally was strongly related to the PvP design, but over the course of many years it became connected to the game world instead. The sequel takes place in the same world. It’s only natural to use the same name.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

OP must hate Star Wars.

“What?! When I buy a movie called Star Wars, I kitten well expect to see stars fighting stars. All they do is sit in the background and twinkle!”

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

OP must hate Star Wars.

“What?! When I buy a movie called Star Wars, I kitten well expect to see stars fighting stars. All they do is sit in the background and twinkle!”

+1 very funny.

Posted by: Goose.5196

Goose.5196

“This is what we’ve all been working for all this time. You know, Guild Wars, we built it from the ground up as a competitive game and of course this is the ultimate expression of that competition right here.” – Mike O’brien at the faction championship in 2006.

I’d also argue that when you create a game specifically to have a high skill ceiling, you’re naturally catering to a PvP crowd.

Sadly, Anet decided to go another way after a few years, and the monetary reward for competitive play dried up. I believe they could have a caught a large chunk of the future LoL players (and the whole MOBA craze) early on if they’d handled the game differently. It’s quite ironic that their later attempt at an esport flunked magnificently, when the original came so close without them even realizing.
Anyway..

As for the name, I have no doubt that it originally was strongly related to the PvP design, but over the course of many years it became connected to the game world instead. The sequel takes place in the same world. It’s only natural to use the same name.

This is correct. Good find. I also found this review from when Prophecies released.

“Guild Wars, even from the title alone, gives the impression that it was built from the ground up with PvP competition in mind. However, the role playing portion of the game will be a big surprise. Especially in terms of how much it has to offer.”

This shows a pretty clear understanding at the time that the game was marketed for its PvP. The reviewer is saying you will be surprised that the role playing portions of the game are good as well. There is no mention of the lore.

OP must hate Star Wars.

I know you are trying to make a joke, but in Star Wars, there WAS a Civil War going on the entire time.

I don’t want more things to get, I want more things to do.

Ayrilana.1396

Anyway..

Competitive does not mean PvP. PvP does fit in that but so does a lot of other things. It’d be like saying any game that is built with a high skill ceiling must be catering to the PvP crowd.

Posted by: Goose.5196

Goose.5196

Anyway..

Competitive does not mean PvP. PvP does fit in that but so does a lot of other things. It’d be like saying any game that is built with a high skill ceiling must be catering to the PvP crowd.

They are standing at an international tournament for Guild Wars when saying that line… I think it is obvious they were referring to the PvP.

I don’t want more things to get, I want more things to do.

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

Ok lemme put it that way – are there any “guild wars” or anything that would imply to that in Guild Wars 2? -No, absolutely not. Not even a little bit. This is why the name is unsuitable.

The name is unchanged just because it is a Guild Wars sequel, but the actual representation of the name is unsuitable hands down.

Do we have Guilds in the game? Yes. Do we have wars in the game? Plenty. Do we still have backstory from the Guild Wars from so long ago? Oh yeah, someone mentioned where it’s still talked about in the game.

There’s plenty of reason for it to still be called Guild Wars 2. Honestly, I think it has more merit now than before this thread started.

Do we have guilds in the game? yes. Do we have wars in the game? yes. But those wars are NOT guild wars but it is a war with the awakened dragon(s). There is no Guild vs Guild in the game.

Actually this is technically incorrect. Every day there are guild vs. guild battles in game. Simple and friendly competitions that occur on a regular basis. That it isn’t a built-in part of GW2 yet is true (one can hope this will change) but there are a few external tracking resources. And no, I’m not talking about WvW (though it is where these contests are resolved).

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Ayrilana.1396

Anyway..

They are standing at an international tournament for Guild Wars when saying that line… I think it is obvious they were referring to the PvP.

Not for why they made the game.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Anyway..

I think it’s fairly obvious they were referring to the PvP too. However, given the lore of the game and the reception by the masses of players – there’s no reason the interpretation can’t change. It seems to be a name that was originally designed with one thing in mind, and then worked with enough to be applicable to either PvP or PvE crowds.

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

Guild Wars 2 – is the name still suitable?

I am making this quick for you

GW1 is a complete different game than GW2.

Also, GW1 is better. (Better endgame, more classes, and better pvp)

Ayrilana.1396

Anyway..

I think it’s fairly obvious they were referring to the PvP too. However, given the lore of the game and the reception by the masses of players – there’s no reason the interpretation can’t change. It seems to be a name that was originally designed with one thing in mind, and then worked with enough to be applicable to either PvP or PvE crowds.

They were referring to PvP as being highly competitive. Were they referring to PvP specifcially as why they made the game? No. There are other things that fall under being competitive other than just PvP. These things also can have varying degrees of being competitive or even be equally competitive. Just because they were referring go one aspect of competitive gameplay, does not mean that that specific aspect was the driving force to why the game was created.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Mass Effect. Everquest. Dragon Age. The Elder Scrolls. Shall I continue?

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I would love to see some type of pvp content base off the war of Kryta, Ascalon, and Orr but even GW1 did not have that at lest GW2 has a real war content fond in wvw where in GW1 only had small battles in its pvp set up (GvG was far from a war lol). So GW2 holds the name better then say GW1 in view of pvp content only.

Though we could put worlds to fit Kryta, Ascalon, and Orr set up who would be who? Lets say BG vs JQ vs TC. I am thinking BG would be Orr size and having “gods” on there side JQ maybe Kryta smaller numbers? and TC would be Ascalon because Ascalon was very very melodrama about every thing even there lose and after there lose so it fits TC RP comunitly well hehe.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Yes please!

Also tell us the reasoning behind Final Fantasy! As this name has no bearing on anything found in the game, or the series. Kthnxbye!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Also tell us the reasoning behind Final Fantasy! As this name has no bearing on anything found in the game, or the series. Kthnxbye!!

Actually, there’s a very good reason that the original game was called Final Fantasy! The story is pretty much that the producer had tried making a bunch of games, they all flopped, and he was ready to give up hope. So he said, “Okay, one last try. If this fails, I’m done.” So, in recognition of that, he named the game his “Final” Fantasy, as in the last one he would ever make, because he assumed it would fail as well.

Lo and behold, it was a massive hit, and it was the thing that skyrocketed his career into legendary status. Of course, every game after that was named so just because of brand recognition.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

pdavis.8031

Actually, there’s a very good reason that the original game was called Final Fantasy! The story is pretty much that the producer had tried making a bunch of games, they all flopped, and he was ready to give up hope. So he said, “Okay, one last try. If this fails, I’m done.” So, in recognition of that, he named the game his “Final” Fantasy, as in the last one he would ever make, because he assumed it would fail as well.

Lo and behold, it was a massive hit, and it was the thing that skyrocketed his career into legendary status. Of course, every game after that was named so just because of brand recognition.

I know And I think it’s rather clever, and yes it turned out to be a FANTASTIC game! But with some of the arguments, that having a game name not based on anything to do with content within said game is an idiotic move, and game writers who do such things are basically incompetent. I just wanted to point out that that isn’t true in the slightest

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Fell free to continue. I haven’t a clue what you’re trying to say though.

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Every single one of those is a major game franchise, all with titles based on things from in-game history, which have absolutely no bearing on the actual gameplay whatsoever. And yet, they’re pretty kitten successful, whether the title means anything or not.

So, your initial statement that “only a moron etc. etc.” is something that the industry as a whole pretty much sees completely oppositely.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

pdavis.8031

He’s saying that these titles have nothing to do with content within the game itself. So your post about naming a game based on nothing to do with anything within the game is “an act of idiocy of a magnitude so enormous, I can’t believe anyone writing a game would fall victim to it.” is simply not true.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

Also the same naming conventions can be found in books, movies, TV shows, etc.

“Great expectations”: It’s not about a person that has some expectations of something. It’s about a boy who performed an act of kindness for someone and was rewarded.
“The big bang Theory”: You would expect a show about the origins of the universe. Nope, it’s about a group of nerdy guys.
“The Lord of the Rings”: A story about a hobbits journey to destroy The One Ring, and how a ranger reclaims his throne.

And so on and so forth….

recognize my command!”

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

It should be named “Remove Wars 2”, which thing you love will be removed or nerfed to death next?
And aside of several points of the lore there are no connections between GW2 and GW1.