Guild Wars 2 on Playstation 4?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Im not looking for O.M.G!!!!!! PS4>>>Xbox or vice versa or PC master race rules all!!!11!1! blah blah blah…Im want to try have an intelligent conversation here. Please keep it that way. I also mentioned some other MMO;s in here…only as a speculation not stating they are better…so no fanboy wars. Thank you.
—————————————————-
Now that PS4 has been announced it shows some pretty impressive specs for a console. Coming Holiday 2013.
8 core x86 CPU (easy to program for since its PC based)

ALSO X86 is a common term for PC Architecture…This does does not mean its 32it or anything it…>.> ITs a 64bit CPU look at the specs in the first link *; so many people are missing this part and wondering why its got 8gb ram and think its a 32 bit processor

8 GB DDR5 Ram
AMD GPU
etc

http://technabob.com/blog/2013/02/20/sony-ps4-specs-games-announced/

All the social integration and features are nice as well as well as the system has a secondary hardware processor in the system dedicated to handling background downloads, updates etc etc….this way the main CPU’s and GPU’s dont have to deal with all that stuff and focus on the game.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/ps4-release-date-news-and-features-937822

Heres some next gen game footage.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/02/20/the-games-of-playstation-4.aspx

I don’t see why Guild Wars 2 couldn’t be released on the PS4 and even the NextBox (not announced yet).

Next gen consoles look like they will have the ability, hard drive space etc etc to run any modern MMO now.

Blizzard is making Diablo for PS3 and PS4….

I almost wouldn’t be surprised if they (bliz) put their next gen Titan MMO (heck maybe even WoW…never know) on the PS4….or any other MMO company for that matter…Elder scrolls online etc etc…again I’m just speculating this part….but Blizzard has stated in todays PS4 reveal about their partnership with SOny for the new console.

Heck you can easily use a keyboard and a mouse or even a controller if the MMO supports it. I…like many HAVE NO problems sitting on my recliner with a wireless keyboard and mouse playing GW or another MMO on my big TV…it beats sitting in a desk chair at the desk all day.

Id love to see GW2 on the next gen systems. Im sure they could pull in a lot more players. Also Sony’s network has always been open to play with PC owners. Only issue has been Xboxs closed Live network (that could change). But still…It may be a possibility for PS4 GW2 players to play with PC players.

I’m probably missing some stuff but Id like to see what others think…if anything.

Remember be nice

Thanks.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

I want a native Mac release first. The current beta runs perfect for me at max settings but it does not allow High-Res Textures to be turned on. Also, the Mac support thread is a joke.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

The biggest problem has always been controls. I gather GW2 works okay with a controller but there are some features that simply require a mouse and/or keyboard.

One of the major selling points of consoles is actually the controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. Controllers let you relax on a couch or really any position you want as long as you can put your hands reasonably close together. Keyboards are rather clunky things that require your lap or desk/table and a mouse requires a reasonably large flat smooth surface that doesn’t move around.

Console gamers are just a very different group than PC gamers and hardware is not the reason MMOs haven’t made it over. I’m 99% sure the 360 or the PS3 could run WoW without any problem if you hooked up a keyboard and mouse. There’s just no market for it.

I don’t really care in Anet wants to put GW2 on the PS4 I just don’t think it will work out very well (in sales figures) and be worth the time and money spent porting it.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I hope not.

Communication is key in games such as this. Consoles lack good options for this. Last thing I want in an MMO is group members who can’t speak when asked something.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I hope not.

Communication is key in games such as this. Consoles lack good options for this. Last thing I want in an MMO is group members who can’t speak when asked something.

Already solved: http://www.amazon.com/Play-Wireless-Controller-Keypad-Playstation-3/dp/B004GGZ8PG

It would be smart for ANet to do, especially since GW2 does not have a sub fee so it fits with the console payment model a lot better. However, I would probably polish it up a bit more before making any console plunge.

It has been thought about, and someone is eventually going to do it right.

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: ChipSet.8435

ChipSet.8435

8 GB DDR5 Ram
AMD GPU

Those specs are nice on paper, but they mean nothing if the SDK is a pain to work with. If it’s like the PS3 …Well, my money is on the next M$ console….

I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes, English is not my primary language.

Vorch.2985

8 GB DDR5 Ram
AMD GPU

Those specs are nice on paper, but they mean nothing if the SDK is a pain to work with. If it’s like the PS3 …Well, my money is on the next M$ console….

The issue was the terrible ram and vram capacity (256mb ram and 256mb vram).

As much as I love my PS3…that’s REALLY bad. Depending on the GPU choice for the PS4, it should be more than adequate for games for the next 4-5 years on medium settings.

And DEFINITELY enough for MMOs.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I can see it happen on the “Xbox 720”, but not the PS4. PS3 is based on openGL, so I would assume that the PS4 will be too.. This game is a directX game. Changing that is no simple matter. Unless I’m mistaken, Xbox DOES run DirectX so porting it over would be far less work and far more feasible.

So no, I would be super super surprised if we saw a PS4 release of this game.

Angelus.1042

I can see it happen on the “Xbox 720”, but not the PS4. PS3 is based on openGL, so I would assume that the PS4 will be too.. This game is a directX game. Changing that is no simple matter. Unless I’m mistaken, Xbox DOES run DirectX so porting it over would be far less work and far more feasible.

DID no one READ the specs?

After reading the last few comments.

PS4 will be based on all major programming languages.

This is WHY Sony went with x86 (PC) architecture because they don’t want the nightmare programmers had from PS3 with Cell.

Vorch.2985

I thought of that as well. But don’t Macs use OpenGL as well? And with Mac localization, it shouldn’t be that much of an issue.

I find a bigger issue to be the Xbox Live subscription model.

Angelus.1042

People dont read any of the links or specs. >.>

PS4 wont use Cell since it was a nightmare to program for thats why PS4 wont support PS3 games (except via cloud gaming)

It IS USING x86 PC architecture. Same as programming a PC game with support for all technologies.

GW2 would work just fine.

http://techreport.com/news/24387/sony-confirms-playstation-4-pc-guts

Vorch.2985

PS4 wont use Cell since it was a nightmare to program for thats why PS4 wont support PS3 games (except via cloud gaming)

It IS USING x86 PC architecture. Same as programming a PC game with support for all technologies.

I hear ya. I just haven’t seen anywhere that says DirectX will be supported. It would make sense, but it IS a MS technology.

ChipSet.8435

This is WHY Sony went with x86 (PC) architecture because they don’t want the nightmare programmers had from PS3 with Cell.

The Xbox 360 use a IBM powerPC X64 architecture. In other words, it’s not an intel CPU and/or an architecture commonly use among pc gamers. So, again , those specs mean nothing unless they are easy to work with.

Edit: X86 only mean working in 32bit that means 4 gig cpu 4 gig gpu

I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes, English is not my primary language.

(edited by ChipSet.8435)

Angelus.1042

I hear ya. I just haven’t seen anywhere that says DirectX will be supported. It would make sense, but it IS a MS technology.

Microsofts next console will be using Blu ray which IS sony tech…so I dont see why they cant just be bros lol..

Not counting the Durango (xbox) will be using AMD hardware as well…

Posted by: zabriel.4852

zabriel.4852

I think Anet might do it… Depending on the sales of the PS4. The price is yet unknown but its looking mighty expensive because of the specs. If they can make it work with the controller and CAMERA lol then it might work and we might see it for the ps4. I bet their discussing that right now.

Zabriel Dusk

Angelus.1042

The Xbox 360 use a IBM powerPC X64 architecture. In other words, it’s not an intel CPU and/or an architecture commonly use among pc gamers. So, again , those specs mean nothing unless they are easy to work with.

X86 is a common term for saying PC architecture even though the technology is 64 bit.

Also PS4 Has 8GB DDR5 Ram…way past 32bit …as I said X86 is just a common term for PC architecture…the console is indeed 64bit or higher.

Also Durango (next box) is going to be going the same AMD hardware route as Sony but with possible GPU difference and Memory.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Angelus.1042

Well in my opinion both next consoles are going with the full on PC internals…albiet customized but essentially they will be small form factor PCs designed for pumping out games on your TV.

So I think (besides nintendo) that the next gen of big boys are going to be close to the same thing and its just gonna be a matter of what brand you like or if you are going to get them both for exclusives to that console….at the end of it though I feel that with them taking the PC internals stance it will be a lot simpler this next Generation to design games for Xbox720, PS4 and PC and then easily port them to each other.

Guild Wars 2 or any other MMO could take advantage of this and I have no issue sitting on my large couch reclining with a wireless keyboard and mouse playing my favorite MMO’s.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Well Diablo3 is going to be released on PS3 and PS4. It would not surprise me if GW2 did as well.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

ChipSet.8435

Well Diablo3 is going to be released on PS3 and PS4. It would not surprise me if GW2 did as well.

Yeah , but NcSoft (ArenaNet) and Sony(SOE) are competitor and i’m pretty sure Sony will demand a cut of the gem store profits. That’s why i don’t think GW2 on the PS4 is possible….

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

when I played gw2 since beta the first thing I thought was that this was a mmo designed to be released on consoles some day. And in fact several people have made it possible to play gw2 with console controllers. It’s probably gonna happen

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

What?

I don’t think D3 and GW2 can be compared in terms of console release. I mean… GW2 is an MMO, D3… is far from it.

But.

Looking at the current skillbar design, etc. I wouldn’t be suprised.

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

>86x cpu
>8gb ram
????

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Angelus.1042

>86x cpu
>8gb ram
????

You didnt look at the specs or read what I wrote my friend.

X86 is a common term for PC architecture and so on blah blah lol

Its a 64 bit 8 core processor

Scroll down in the link Look at the specs

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

If I can recall corectly every major gaming title ported to PC was a major flop , the only thing untouched are the PC mmo’s no need to ruin them too. No thank you

play hard , go pro.

kokiman.2364

>86x cpu
>8gb ram
????

Ah okay thanks.

To your question:
Of cause it would be stupid to release GW2 for consoles.

Noone would ever be able to make is as good as on PC, for example placing AoE Skills: you cant be precise and fast at the same time with analogsticks.

GuildWars 2

Angelus.1042

>86x cpu
>8gb ram
????

Ah okay thanks.

To your question:
Of cause it would be stupid to release GW2 for consoles.

Noone would ever be able to make is as good as on PC, for example placing AoE Skills: you cant be precise and fast at the same time with analogsticks.

Keyboard and mouse??…and yes I and many others dont mind chilling on the couch at the big tv with a keyboard and mouse…may not be a lot but Im sure its a decent ammount

I dont feel like lugging my PC into the living room lol

just my opinion lol

Angelus.1042

If I can recall corectly every major gaming title ported to PC was a major flop , the only thing untouched are the PC mmo’s no need to ruin them too. No thank you

imo…with the next gen Xbox and PS4 (they are basically PCs inside now with traditional..somewhat custom PC hardware) I believe that the horrors of ports from console to PC or the other way will be a thing of the past…PC will always look better Im sure with new hardware release every year but still the porting process will be a million times easier.

Im really glad sony got its act together and dropped that horrible Cell (while a powerful chip..was hard to program for) in favor of more traditional PC hardware.

(edited by Angelus.1042)

Posted by: Winfernal.9208

Winfernal.9208

In my opinion.

We’re in 2013. Consoles aren’t what they used to be.

Sure. Give them GW2, M+KB and an headset. Why not? Whats the difference? No one would notice any difference if i decided to play GW2 on an console with M+KB one day.

Unless you’re an ignorant elitist that is in the mindset where console players are “ruining everything”. (PS: My last console was an Playstation 2, so i’m not playing on consoles.)

I’d love to introduce more people to the glory of MMO gaming.

“Kharomir” – Human Guardian
[DW] Dynasty Warriors, [TNA] The Northern Assembly
http://www.farshiverpeaks.com

(edited by Winfernal.9208)

Angelus.1042

In my opinion.

We’re in 2013. Consoles aren’t what they used to be.

Sure. Give them GW2, M+KB and an headset. Why not? Whats the difference? No one would notice any difference if i decided to play GW2 on an console with M+KB one day.

Also dont forget the PS4 controller has a touch panel on it…that would make at least moving a mouse cursor around easier…may help with MMO style game and navigating the actual console and all its features using a mouse type pointer.

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Keyboard and mouse??…and yes I and many others dont mind chilling on the couch at the big tv with a keyboard and mouse…may not be a lot but Im sure its a decent ammount

I dont feel like lugging my PC into the living room lol

just my opinion lol

If that’s something you’d really like to do I’d suggest:

Wireless HDMI + wireless mouse + wireless keyboard = PC on your TV regardless of where your PC and TV actually are physically.

It’s actually very easy to set up. Although unless you have a really expensive TV the resolution is utter garbage compared to average monitor resolution. People don’t notice on consoles because consoles (currently) can’t put out high resolution anyway.

But as I said above, if they decide to make GW2 for consoles, great. I just personally don’t want it and if I did I’d just use my current setup.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

It shouldn’t be on consoles because of several key issues.
- fracturing the playerbase. Nextbox and PS4 require a dedicated network.

- You have to pay Sony/Microsoft to deploy patches. Given the amount of updates any MMO requires, the console versions usually don’t get any.

- Too many hardware architectures. Optimizing for PC is already difficult enough. No need to get funky console hardware. Cell, while powerful, was a development nightmare. The Xbox360 with its shared memory wasn’t that much better.

- Development requirements regarding the OS. On xbox you are required to make playlists. On PS4 you are required to make trophies (and only trophies). That’d mean scrapping achievements for the PS4 version. I don’t think Arena.net needs even more people to dictate their terms.

There is a reason exclusives are the best games. As an oldtime xbox360 fanboy I’d much rather have a ps3 exclusive than a bad multi-plat title like GTA4. But that’s merely my observation. If you want an underpatched, non-supported version of GW2 on the PS4 … be my guest to promote that.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Angelus.1042

- You have to pay Sony/Microsoft to deploy patches. Given the amount of updates any MMO requires, the console versions usually don’t get any.

- Too many hardware architectures. Optimizing for PC is already difficult enough. No need to get funky console hardware. Cell, while powerful, was a development nightmare. The Xbox360 with its shared memory wasn’t that much better.

- Development requirements regarding the OS. On xbox you are required to make playlists. On PS4 you are required to make trophies (and only trophies). That’d mean scrapping achievements for the PS4 version. I don’t think Arena.net needs even more people to dictate their terms.

There is a reason exclusives are the best games. As an oldtime xbox360 fanboy I’d much rather have a ps3 exclusive than a bad multi-plat title like GTA4. But that’s merely my observation. If you want an underpatched, non-supported version of GW2 on the PS4 … be my guest to promote that.

PS4 is pretty much straight PC on the inside now (again…read the PS4 specs in the first link on my OP…also nextbox is not confirmed but rumored to have AMD components as well)…porting wont be an issue.
Playstation network links with PC gaming networks and server….iirc its Xbox live that has the closed network

As far as other issue not sure…

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

My heart said “nooooo!” – but why not ?

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: synch.2980

synch.2980

The lack of developer control over patching on consoles means that, even if they do decide to ship it for a console, it won’t be able to interact with the PC version – which makes it very unlikely to happen.

In addition to the technological hurdles (porting a PC game to a console isn’t trivial), there’s the economic one. Console manufacturers get a much larger percentage of of the sale, and they get it on each game made (not sold, but put on a disc in a box.)

So ArenaNet would make substantially less per copy on a console than they would for the PC version – and they probably can’t raise the price to compensate.

So while the next-gen (and maybe even current-gen) consoles are probably technologically capable of running the GW2 client, I’d be quite surprised to see it ship for either of them.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

PS4 is pretty much straight PC on the inside now (again…read the PS4 specs in the first link on my OP…also nextbox is not confirmed but rumored to have AMD components as well)…porting wont be an issue.

It will still be an issue. Specs on paper are worth the value of the paper burned in a furnace. Specs in the real world are the only thing that matters, and for consoles that’s often not nearly as good as it sounds.

Playstation network links with PC gaming networks and server….iirc its Xbox live that has the closed network

Both have their fair share of limitations. If a.net can cope with that without compromising the PC game … sure why not. But past experience with flopped multi-plats shows that it’s pretty much impossible.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

I hope not.

Already solved: http://www.amazon.com/Play-Wireless-Controller-Keypad-Playstation-3/dp/B004GGZ8PG

Just because it exists doesn’t mean that people will use it. It would have to actually come with the console for the average person to have one.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Short answer: No.
Long answer: No no no.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Yes, it uses the same sort of hardware, at an instruction level, as a PC. But that by itself doesn’t mean anything; Linux and Mac OS X run on x86 as well. There’s a port for the latter, but for Linux you still need WINE.

Since PS4 is not likely to have WINE (even if it were based on Linux, which is by no means guaranteed), that means ArenaNet would need to port it to a different API, and at that stage it’s of modest (if any) benefit that it shares the same instruction set. It’s still going to need rewrites of large chunks of code and recompilation.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

8 GB DDR5 Ram
AMD GPU

I have high hopes for both but I have a bad feeling that M$ is going away from gaming and more in to multimedia.

Posted by: Aegis.9724

Aegis.9724

why would any sane person play an MMO on a console, given the choice? Masochism?

kokiman.2364

why would any sane person play an MMO on a console, given the choice? Masochism?

You could say the same about FPS on console.

GuildWars 2

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I hope not.

Just because it exists doesn’t mean that people will use it. It would have to actually come with the console for the average person to have one.

This. All of this.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Didn’t Anet say a long time ago that they would never bring GWx to any console?
And an mmo on a console? LOL there’s just too many hurdles with that level of proprietary hardware (even if it looks like standard pc components, it’s not).

The good news is that the consoles are closing the technology gap between PC’s. So now maybe ports wont be so utterly pathetic on pc’s.

Posted by: Aioros.4862

Aioros.4862

Any sane person would prefer a game system that is half the price, has twice the longevity, has more available blockbusters and has the guaranty that it will work with good performance for any game available.

That being said, if consoles ever stop shunning the keyboard and mouse crowd (or if they come up with better input hardware), i will gladly make the transition. The day that happens, is also probably the day the PC will become exclusively a work machine.

Until then i guess i’ll have to keep performing expensive upgrades … or keep playing with the lowest settings possible. -.-

Posted by: Troopa.2510

Troopa.2510

Of course it would work on a ps4. I already play DC Universe on ps3 (Full mmorpg) and use keyboard for chat, this game is also on the pc, but ps3 has a much larger userbase. I’m one of those persons who would be VERY interested in gw 2 on ps3, especially since my computer is running gw 2 rather poor now, and I also need to invest in a new laptop for studies. Cant afford that + gamer pc + ps4, so be nice if I could get by with school laptop + ps4 or the new xbox.

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

I’m not entirely sure that PS4 could run GW2, even with lower graphic. You do need beast PC and PS4 is not even coming close. Yes, it has 8 cores, but so what? Core count doesn’t mean a thing if the software that is running on top can’t take advantage of it. Guild Wars 2 is written from the ground up to be a PC game, running on a PC hardware. Yes, PS4 will have the x86 architecture, xbox 720 is rumored to have the same, but there is another rumor about PowerPC so I suppose only time will tell. Bottom line is, those consoles still don’t come close to the average PC. And, even though guild wars 2 is running on an older PCs, it’s not really the same game as it is on full details.
So yeah, bottom line, amount of ram and amount of cores basically mean jackkitten. Even if it was possible to make the game’s engine to take advantage of 8 cores with a flip of a coin/switch, with the current plan of having a huge update EACH month I don’t think there is nearly enough time.
If you want a decent FPS in Gw2, don’t hold your breath over console version, invest in better CPU/GPU. My PC is currently 2 year old, it runs Gw2 flawlessly, yep you do not need top tiered hardware for 1k+ dollars, but it does require some!
As I’m reading through threads in this forum, Gw2 seems more of a CPU-bound game, so if you are going to do the upgrade, get a better CPU

And who buys laptops for gaming o.o" this is like computer blasphemy. Yeah yeah, alienware … whatever, this thing weights 5kg, I wouldn’t call those laptops.

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

Troopa.2510

Raven, of course PS4 has the power to run GW2…

And all that ur saying about it is written to be a pc game etc, well it so happens that ps4 will have very similar to pc hardware, on top of that if it does get ported over of course some things will change in regard to optimization. Also, if you saw the ps4 conference, you would see that the graphics in the games there, are easily ahead or on par with GW4.

Also you can’t compare cores on console and pc like that, it will be coded differently and optimized differently.

One last note, you can’t compare a pc to a console and look at hardware 1 to 1. Like 8 cores vs 8 cores, 8gb ram vs 8 gb ram etc, the games will be coded and optimized differently, and usually you are able to push alot more out of a console than a similar specced pc.

Troopa.2510

I know it’s still early to tell ps4 performance etc.

But like looking at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9UmHm9HA3c can pump out some pretty good graphics, see no reason why it cant run gw2 as mentioned.

Now that sony also “teamed” up with blizz for diablo 3, I really think that Titan will be ps4 as well, but we will see.

Moderator edit: Please remember that advertising for any business or company is against the Code of Conduct.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

While we can understand your concerns about this, please remember to avoid making any form of advertisements on the Guild Wars 2 forums, especially about others licenses, as this is against the Code of Conduct.

If there is a suggestion you would like to submit, please post it in the Suggestions sub-forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

(edited by Moderator.6837)