Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Have you guys ever through about putting this game on Steam? I would imagine you would get a whole lot more exposure. I know that means less money per sale for you, but I would imagine you would end up with more sales revenue because of it.

Just a thought.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Lorgus.6148

Lorgus.6148

They would also have to pay a percentage of all sales to steam, and what with all the constant sales gw2 seems to be on frequently, I imagine it would seriously cut into their profits.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

Yeah, I already know they have to pay a percentage to Valve, which is why I said I know they would make less money per sale. But at the same time the exposure and increase in revenue from it can make up for it. I am sure there are a crud ton of people who do not know of any games outside of Steam, this would grab those people. They make less revenue from a boxed copy sold then they would with a Steam version sold.

They don’t have to offer the same sales on Steam when they have a sale on Guildwars2.com.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Would offering the game on Steam require that Valve get a cut of gem purchases ?

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

I wouldn’t have bought GW2 if it was on Steam. Its horrific. It has a nasty tenancy to sell broken games, that otherwise would not be broken if they were downloaded/bought from the official website.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

NO NO NO NO. YES IM ACTUALLY YELLING!!!

Why does everyone love steam so much? OK ILL ADMIT IT- i have roughly 45 games on steam of which i BARELY play anymore. BUT EVERY TIME I LOG IN….

Advertisement- New game on early access today! (pop up)
You have a new item in your inventory! (junk no one cares about)
Random Friend request or group invite!

Then, to show just how GREEDY they are-
3.4-3.6 mbs DOWNLOAD SPEED LOL

Oh- and did i mention it RANDOMLY goes down at least once EVERY DAY?!

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Why would you want ANOTHER layer of DRM?

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Why? Just add it to your library as a non-steam game. Overlay works fine with Guild Wars 2 as it is.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

You guys kind of missed the point completely. I am talking about getting more exposure for this game to get them more revenue. More revenue this game makes the better the game can be made for everyone.

Here is a hint, just because someone would buy Guild Wars 2 on Steam, doesn’t mean they have to play the game through Steam.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

Why does everyone love steam so much? OK ILL ADMIT IT- i have roughly 45 games on steam of which i BARELY play anymore. BUT EVERY TIME I LOG IN….

I never had those problems.
Also My max download speed I pay for from my ISP is 6.2 Megabytes per Second, and I get between 5.8 to 6.2 Megabytes per second from Steam.

But none of this matters, just because someone buys the game from Steam, if available, doesn’t mean they have to play it or even download it from Steam.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

There, you can run Guild Wars 2 with the benefits of steam already, without the downsides. There isn’t really a reason for it to go on Steam officially.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

Well GW1 is on steam so who knows.

Of course GW2 has its own client so probably wouldn’t work that well with steam.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Invoker.5462

Invoker.5462

NO NO NO NO. YES IM

Well sir i’m glad you can tolerate all the crap steam does LOL. But me? I CANT STAND IT!

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

There, you can run Guild Wars 2 with the benefits of steam already, without the downsides. There isn’t really a reason for it to go on Steam officially.

Has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I removed Steam from my PC. Even though that means I lost all the games I purchased, it was a good trade off. Why do I need to open a program, just to open another program? GW2 runs fine by itself.

Now as for “exposure”, that’s what PAX is for. People who love MMOs don’t use Steam to find the best big hit. We follow gamer mags and blogs, and get info from reputable services.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

Well GW1 is on steam so who knows.

Of course GW2 has its own client so probably wouldn’t work that well with steam.

Wouldn’t be an issue anyways. Lots of games have their own separate clients and have no problems with steam.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Azure Fang.8605

Azure Fang.8605

I would personally love to see GW2 with full Steamworks integration. Achievement display for Steam profile, trading cards + drop increase due to gem purchase… Heck, from what I hear, the revenue from trading card sales on the Steam Marketplace would more than make up for the cut Steam would take on sales. And the increased market exposure would bring a lot of new players to the game, which is never a bad thing. Heck, I re-bought GW1 when it popped on Steam, meaning ANet got double revenue from me

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

I removed Steam from my PC. Even though that means I lost all the games I purchased, it was a good trade off. Why do I need to open a program, just to open another program? GW2 runs fine by itself.

Now as for “exposure”, that’s what PAX is for. People who love MMOs don’t use Steam to find the best big hit. We follow gamer mags and blogs, and get info from reputable services.

Missing a massive amount of casual gamers who don’t pay attention to any of that stuff.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

NO NO NO NO. YES IM

Well sir i’m glad you can tolerate all the crap steam does LOL. But me? I CANT STAND IT!

“All the crap Steam does”? Besides the occasional pop-up telling the deals of the week after exiting a game it doesn’t really do anything besides give me good deals on games and keep the ones I’ve purchased organized.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Would offering the game on Steam require that Valve get a cut of gem purchases ?

Yes. That’s why guild wars 1 is available on steam and guild wars 2 is not.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

Doubt it. Guild wars 1 still had a cash shop it being gems makes no difference. The issue only comes with games that have dlc but not games with subscriptions or cash stores.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

eisberg.2379

NO NO NO NO. YES IM

“All the crap Steam does”? Besides the occasional pop-up telling the deals of the week after exiting a game it doesn’t really do anything besides give me good deals on games and keep the ones I’ve purchased organized.

Yup. Don’t know what crap he is talking about has always been a positive experience for me. Only had to contact customer service 1 time in 10 years and that was to cancel a pre-order and get my money back, this was like 8 years ago.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Wyn.5724

Wyn.5724

It would be awesome for gw2 to come on steam, the first one is already there. I already have gw2 added as a non-steam game to keep everything organized and ultize steams features (In-home streaming).

>Advertisement

Turn off in Settings, interface panel.

>You have a new item in your inventory! (junk no one cares about)

Trading cards? You can sell those for money you know.

>Random Friend request or group invite!

Steam profile, set everything to private.

>Download speeds

Change your download region…

(edited by Wyn.5724)

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

OP, every business decision involves weighing countless inponderables.

I’m sure that Anet knows what steam is, considering Guild Wars 1 is on steam. They made a decision not to list Guild Wars 2 on steam. One has to assume they had a reason or perhaps many reasons for doing this.

It’s entirely possible that steam has items in their agreement that Anet chooses not to abide by. In which case they can’t use steam.

I’m absolutely certain that the decision not to use steam was discussed by Anet and perhaps NcSoft. If they thought it would be advantageous to use steam they would have.

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: poisonality.8972

poisonality.8972

steam:
the good -
-exposure (most of the games I have found on there I would have not hear of otherwise)

-easy to organize games in different lists for what you are currently playing, have played, will never play again, installed and not installed

-you have the option to allow others to see what you are playing
-sales, sales, more sales

-nobody can log into your steam account without access to your email (security)

-an easy way to communicate with a friend while in game

-the market
- badges
- groups
- cards
- steam wallet
- player reviews

the bad:
-DRM – that kitten is here to stay, no matter how much we hate it
-one extra program open – barely any resources used by todays standards
-the occasional disconnect – but that is why there is an offline mode
-valve takes a cut of each game sold

and the VERY worst thing about steam
- friends trying to talk you into buying their game OR feeling compelled to buy it because you see they play it…..oh my god my pooor poor bank account. every time they have a summer sale that thing bleeds to death

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

I think it’d help with exposure a little. But honestly, if you’re a PC gamer you’ve probably at least heard of this thing called Guild Wars 2, and most PC gamers I know use Steam. The ones that don’t get their news from TotalBiscuit/AngryJoe, and they’ve covered the game already. But it could do well to slap it onto the store and get it some more coverage, especially with the coming expansion. Problem being what everyone else has said above about Valve…

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

Guild Wars 2 on Steam...

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Doubt it. Guild wars 1 still had a cash shop it being gems makes no difference. The issue only comes with games that have dlc but not games with subscriptions or cash stores.

Nope, steam gets a percentage of cash shops as well. That is why free to play games are available in their store. It’s also one of the reasons why EA made origin because they were tired of steams royalty fees