Guild Wars 2 on Xbox One?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mystogan.9783

Mystogan.9783

I have seen a lot of MMOs (free to play and not) coming out on Xbox one. The newest I have heard of being Black Desert and Tera. I understand why they wouldn’t want GW2 on consoles at first but it seems like a lot of the worries people had Microsoft has taken care of. So why isn’t it a thing? I feel like it could only be beneficial for the game.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

ESO Destiny2 is already their on xbox one . thing is with this company they will never do it. and for get asking about steam too . that will not happen too

but honestly if ESO and Destiny 2 can do it think that guild wars2 or even guild wars would have done It . but at least them two are on xbox one and ps4

so at least for thos of us that have them other systems at least we got a mmo to play their .

no new system upgrades coming

Mystogan.9783

Yeah, we do have some pretty great MMOs for Xbox but I would give anything just to be able to play GW2 on there with my friends. It’s a great game that I think would translate pretty well over to consoles. That and it would get them more exposure and revenue. So I’m just confused on why it is a thing they just refuse to do.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

Games too old and dev teams too small to make it worth halting other content development to work on porting it. Anet doesn’t seem to want to pay any fees to other companies to host their game since they dont put it on steam. Engine was built to work on PC not consoles, could be super complicated to port it.

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

I remember a long, long time ago, a few years before Guild Wars 2 launched on PC, NCSoft came into a deal with Sony to put their MMOs on consoles, but nothing ever came of it. Guild Wars 2 would work great on consoles, but at this point I feel like the ship has either sailed or it would just be too much extra work with everything they’re currently doing.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Never gonna happen.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You would probabely have to start over from scratch tho mate if and thats a Big if it ever happens.

Posted by: ima kong fu ninja.3052

ima kong fu ninja.3052

imagine trying to do PvP with random console users NotLikeThis

Mystogan.9783

Games too old and dev teams too small to make it worth halting other content development to work on porting it. Anet doesn’t seem to want to pay any fees to other companies to host their game since they dont put it on steam. Engine was built to work on PC not consoles, could be super complicated to port it.

There has been plenty of older games added to Xbox with out any/many problems. I can understand if the dev team is too small but there has been other small dev teams that push there games to other platforms, so if they focused on it after the next expansion, it shouldn’t be a problem for them. I get not wanting to pay other companies to host your game, but why not when it would bring in more people and money. And there has been plenty of games ported over that I’m sure was never even planned to leave PC

I remember a long, long time ago, a few years before Guild Wars 2 launched on PC, NCSoft came into a deal with Sony to put their MMOs on consoles, but nothing ever came of it.

Sony would definitely be a bad idea, they have become so strict with everything now a days it’s like them and Microsoft switched roles. Just look at the whole Fallout/Skyrim mod fiasco.

You would probabely have to start over from scratch tho mate if and thats a Big if it ever happens.

I would be perfectly okay with that because I know for sure I would be starting over with 2 friends (Maybe more).

imagine trying to do PvP with random console users NotLikeThis

What would be the problem there? I understand it being a big deal on something like a FPS, but with a game like this there shouldn’t be any huge problems either way.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

You’d probably have to streamline the controls quite a bit (granted, there may be prior examples to learn from by now…), which I see being one of the main challenges. Lots of buttons in GW2 at the moment and it’s only increasing in PoF.

And then there’s the issue of optimizing the engine to work well on the hardware (good FPS is what I’m mostly thinking of). Could probably be done but still potentially a challenge.

I wouldn’t say no if it can be done though – it might be good for sales. I’m just not holding my breath.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

The age of Guild Wars 2 has nothing to do with whether or not the game comes to modern consoles. For example, Kingdom Under Fire 2 a 8+ year old game is still slated to come to the PS4.

The one HUGE problem about bringing GW2 to consoles as others have said the UI would have to be completely built from scratch.

I personally think the real reason why Anet has said MANY times that GW2 will never come to consoles is because they want to maintain 100% control over the game.

If they release GW2 on the PS4 and Xbox One, they would first have to get Sony’s and Microsoft’s approval before they can do anything to the game. Which means if they want to release a bug fix patch or release a new LW episode they would have to first submit it to Sony and Microsoft and wait for them to approve it. This could mean console players could be 1, 2 or 3 LW episodes behind PC players.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Mystogan.9783

I personally think the real reason why Anet has said MANY times that GW2 will never come to consoles is because they want to maintain 100% control over the game.

If they release GW2 on the PS4 and Xbox One, they would first have to get Sony’s and Microsoft’s approval before they can do anything to the game. Which means if they want to release a bug fix patch or release a new LW episode they would have to first submit it to Sony and Microsoft and wait for them to approve it. This could mean console players could be 1, 2 or 3 LW episodes behind PC players.

I don’t think Microsoft would try to control it at all. They really only get power hungry with games they are developing/publishing. The only thing they would want probably would be a cut of the money coming in from the Xbox side of things. And Microsoft is a lot easier on the rules for updating now a days (At least I think). My friend had a little Indy game that Microsoft had nothing to do with, other than it being sold on the Xbox. It updated like every day for a week or two straight. So I’m pretty sure they are more laid back with things like that now. That being said, I don’t know how Sony is with stuff like that. Like I said, they seem a lot more strict now.

joshc.3129

I don’t think Microsoft would try to control it at all. They really only get power hungry with games they are developing/publishing. The only thing they would want probably would be a cut of the money coming in from the Xbox side of things. And Microsoft is a lot easier on the rules for updating now a days (At least I think). My friend had a little Indy game that Microsoft had nothing to do with, other than it being sold on the Xbox. It updated like every day for a week or two straight. So I’m pretty sure they are more laid back with things like that now. That being said, I don’t know how Sony is with stuff like that. Like I said, they seem a lot more strict now.

Thus if Anet has 100% control over GW2 they won’t have to give anyone a cut of the profit. Nor will they have to go through a middle man like Microsoft or Sony in order to do anything with their game.

I think it has nothing to do with which console has the least amount of restrictions or how much work it would take to port GW2 to consoles. It all comes down to having full ownership over the profit, full ownership over creative control and full control over the game where they can do what they like. Such as releasing a patch or new content when they want to and not having to wait for someone to approve it first.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Mystogan.9783

Thus if Anet has 100% control over GW2 they won’t have to give anyone a cut of the profit. Nor will they have to go through a middle man like Microsoft or Sony in order to do anything with their game.

I think it has nothing to do with which console has the least amount of restrictions or how much work it would take to port GW2 to consoles. It all comes down to having full ownership over the profit, full ownership over creative control and full control over the game where they can do what they like. Such as releasing a patch or new content when they want to and not having to wait for someone to approve it first.

I’m pretty sure they would always have full control of their game. Microsoft would never touch their profit, they would probably just want a little of the top from the initial sell of something on Xbox. If you are making $10 selling something. Then someone offers to sell it for you in a different town, they won’t change the product at all but they want $5 from the sell. You are getting $15 now and they are getting $5. Why wouldn’t you do it?

(edited by Mystogan.9783)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Still cant see how selling something for 10$ yourself translate into microsoft selling it for 20$ and keeping 5

Wouldent it have to be 10 and ms getting 2.5?

Posted by: Monti.3572

Monti.3572

They already share profit with the publisher for the asian market ?!

Porting apps to the XBox isn´t that hard but players had to buy the client, even if they have the PC client (free or bought) because you have to pay to become a MS XBox developer.
Then i don´t know how good it would work with all they key-bindings, chatting …. so you had to buy at least a keyboard.

Never was a fan of FPV shooters on the XBox anyway so i doubt that it would be a big success when people had to spend 60 $ for the client while it´s free on the PC.

Another thing is MS buy one play everywhere strategy where games you bought once run on all platforms (even so Sony refuses to connect)

Monti

joshc.3129

I’m pretty sure they would always have full control of their game. Microsoft would never touch their profit, they would probably just want a little of the top from the initial sell of something on Xbox. If you are making $10 selling something. Then someone offers to sell it for you in a different town, they won’t change the product at all but they want $5 from the sell. You are getting $15 now and they are getting $5. Why wouldn’t you do it?

If you are selling something yourself for $10 and it’s working out really well and your making a good amount of income why would you risk investing a large amount of time and money to translate it over to something new (bringing GW2 to consoles), have someone else try to sell it, charging more for it and all you are doing is just hoping to remake the money spent in order to start making a profit again?

In the end, if someone can get onto Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network that means they have the internet and 99% chance also has a computer and/or laptop meaning if the really want to play GW2, they can just buy it for PC.

(edited by joshc.3129)

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

If you are selling something yourself for $10 and it’s working out really well and your making a good amount of income why would you risk investing a large amount of time and money to translate it over to something new (bringing GW2 to consoles), have someone else try to sell it, charging more for it and all you are doing is just hoping to remake the money spent in order to start making a profit again?

In the end, if someone can get onto Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network that means they have the internet and 99% chance also has a computer and/or laptop meaning if the really want to play GW2, they can just buy it for PC.

I agree with you 100%. Not only that but everyone already has a PC in one way or form for either school or work. GW2 works fine even without a graphics card. I can run it on my Tablet PC smoothly on low really well.

Posted by: PlatinumMember.5274

PlatinumMember.5274

You seem to have strong opinions for someone who knows nothing.

Sony is less strict than Microsoft except for Xbox to PS4 crossplay only because it benefits Microsoft significantly more than sony.

The real less dumb reason is the cost. Let me break it down.

Cost of porting the game to either one of the platforms is expensive.

The cost of releasing patches is about 20k per patch and requires a lot of testing by platform holder. Look at how many patches arena net releases? Arena net could change their process to avoid releasing too many patches but at this stage of the game’s life, why would they?

Platform holder takes 30% of box price per game sold. I think gem store also.

Other MMO franchisee can do that because it was planned during the design process. Gw2 was not planned to have a console release.

The whole premise of this topic is based on the assumption that companies hate easy money. Anet probably doesn’t do it because they think it is not a cost effective use of their time. And it doesn’t even guarantee that there is a large Xbox audience waiting for gw2.

joshc.3129

You seem to have strong opinions for someone who knows nothing.

Sony is less strict than Microsoft except for Xbox to PS4 crossplay only because it benefits Microsoft significantly more than sony.

The real less dumb reason is the cost. Let me break it down.

Cost of porting the game to either one of the platforms is expensive.

The cost of releasing patches is about 20k per patch and requires a lot of testing by platform holder. Look at how many patches arena net releases? Arena net could change their process to avoid releasing too many patches but at this stage of the game’s life, why would they?

Platform holder takes 30% of box price per game sold. I think gem store also.

Other MMO franchisee can do that because it was planned during the design process. Gw2 was not planned to have a console release.

The whole premise of this topic is based on the assumption that companies hate easy money. Anet probably doesn’t do it because they think it is not a cost effective use of their time. And it doesn’t even guarantee that there is a large Xbox audience waiting for gw2.

So you literally just repeated what others had said but had to add in that kitten comment at the beginning.

Posted by: RiverWoods.9468

RiverWoods.9468

Hi!!! This would be a fantastic idea!

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

It will not even run well if at all on an xbone.

Posted by: blambidy.3216

blambidy.3216

Hmmmm idk. Putting gw2 on console would take a lot of time. It’s not the fact that people don’t want it to happen. It’s the fact that everything in the game the devs have to compress for the consoles to be able to play them. How much compression I personally don’t know. But it can mean a lot of change for us PC gamers. Us PC gamers aren’t limited by the things consoles have which makes devs easier to bring things out for gw2. Once you have console, it means graphics will go down, which ever part of the game consoles can’t take will be different because devs have to take the memory down for consoles. How much the devs can put into the game will be restricted. Then somehow adding the trading Post link to also console. Players partying with console players means there’s got to be for a way to link. If gw2 was just windows I would see Xbox easily being a cross platform. But since Mac is also there. And it’s taking arena net years to perfect Mac, it will take a while for arena net to link Xbox one. Even if they start today it will take couple years before it’s up for testing. Which we don’t know will happen in couple of years. Just think about it. If we add consoles. That means everything about the game can not be played to its full potential because we have to be limited for consoles to be able to handle the game.

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

I would only support this if it included a Linux Client to go with it.