Guild Wars 3 on Unreal Engine 4 ?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mahri.8410

mahri.8410

Hi. Searching the net…I have found this:
http://www.examiner.com/article/guild-wars-2-publisher-inks-unreal-engine-4-guild-wars-3-coming

Seems that NCSoft publisher wants a MMO with Unreal Engine 4. Is Arena.Net involved in this?
The idea that they could work on GW3 is pretty improbable, due to the massive updates in the last period. Will we see the next Arena.Net MMO ? Everything seems possible now, if NCSoft took this decision.

Another thing that seems interesting to me is the fact that they use UE4. I am also interested in developping games with UE4. I am a 3D modelling hobbyist and Blueprints seem all I need to make games without learning to code… To find out that a great publisher is using the same tools is awesome. In this way, their players could give a different type of feedback…we could know better what is behind the scenes.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

What if Guild Wars 3 was made in the same vein as Guild Wars 1, with an emphasis on commanding customizable AI, like Heroes?

It seems like something which could co-exist excellent alongside GW2.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

“Guild Wars 3 takes everything you loved about Guild Wars 2 and throws it out of the window.”
I imagine that’s how the next manifesto will sound like.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

Pure speculation. There’s pretty much limitless possibilities here. I mean Right now NcSoft runs a product that’s actually more profitable than Guild Wars 2. And it’s their baby. It’s entirely possible they’re going to go for something more sandbox and less theme park (seeing as they already have a couple of theme parks).

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

NCSoft has a lot more games than GW2, so there is no obvious link.

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

GW2 is not quite 2 years old yet.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Id much rather see a new Unreal Tournament on the UE4 than GW3,4,5,6,7

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Lineage 2 used Unreal Engine, Tera that was initially started as Lineage 3 also uses Unreal i think, so NCSoft will use it maybe simply for some of their own projects.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

If NcSoft is going to make something new I’d say they will something of these two.

- Lineage. A whole new Lineage MMORPG, based on Lineage 1 and 2.
- Single Player Guild Wars series. Focuses on Guild Wars lore and story.

mahri.8410

Since NCSoft has multiple companies…they could simply request them what they need. So…Arena.Net might work on this new project. If NCSoft says ,, we need 5 devs for this project from Arena.Net" , then 5 devs will work on that.
Recently, Arena.Net stated that they would make updates more rare and consistent, instead of small updates every two weeks. Was this decision taken by them or NCSoft requested this, to give them more time to work on the new project? When you have more time before deadline, you don’t need to struggle so hard to make players happy.

“We plan to release our best game ever using our Unreal Engine expertise and the new state-of-the-art Unreal Engine 4 tools,” NCSoft said.

If they say best game ever, and Guild Wars 2 is a model for all MMOS, then I think they might involve Arena.Net . They say they want to develop something better than GW2, but since GW2 is the best of all… what could they do more?

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

No one is going to comment on the date of the article?

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Id much rather see a new Unreal Tournament on the UE4 than GW3,4,5,6,7

As much as I loved the older ut like 99. The last ut 3 was a colossal fail

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

February 15, 2013

BigfootArisen.6509

February 15, 2013

Yeah, 14 months ago. 6 months after the game hit shelves. There is no way they were already planning GW3 then.

mahri.8410

If they will make GW3 on UE4, it will have awesome graphics and effects, but it will kill our poor PCs.

Posted by: Singh.8206

Singh.8206

I know I won’t be buying it, now I wish I hadn’t bought this one.

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

Even if is true i’m not gonna bite it again even if is gwxx, in a mmo not everything resume to a fancy skin.

mahri.8410

GW2 has the main advantage of running on lower spec PCs. For a possible sequel…for many people…updating their system might not be handy.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

NCS should have expedited their acquisition of UE4 for GW2…. We would have to deal with the plethora of issues we have now….

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Notice there is not one mention of ANET as being involved in this GW3 venture. Is NCSOFT taking over and ANET will soon cease to be hence the less than favorable changes in GW2?

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

one far fetched possibility might be getting a license for the unreal 4 engine to go back and add new engines to existing MMOs.

It’s out there, but I’ve heard it’s been done before and not impossible, just insanely difficult in most cases.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Wow, guys. Just… wow.

NC Soft is a publisher. They are not involved exclusively in Guild Wars. All they did was get the rights to make a game using this engine. The guy who wrote that article speculating on a “Guild Wars 3” is just offering his (frankly delusional) opinion. It is not based on anything but pure imagination.

Notice there is not one mention of ANET as being involved in this GW3 venture. Is NCSOFT taking over and ANET will soon cease to be hence the less than favorable changes in GW2?

I’m almost impressed at how far you’ve managed to take some amateur blogger’s completely made-up idea and run with it this far. Yep, NC Soft has seen what a unanimously-agreed failure yesterday’s feature patch was, and has fired everyone at ArenaNet. That’s totally what happened. I’m going to go register a website for my GW3 guild right now.

Posted by: buckeyecro.9614

buckeyecro.9614

When I was reading reviews of this game, I read that GW2 uses a unique engine that they developed in house. It would be nice if Anet would utilize CryEngine 3 or even Unreal 3 for GW2— the program could then utilize multiple core CPUs and GPUs much better. We could then conceivably create community based mods for the game using the SDKs. But that’s calling for a complete overhaul and remake of their engine to use a new engine.

I do not foresee how it would be wise (profitable/ justified) for Anet to completely throw out their unique engine that made GW1 and GW2. They probably poured millions of dollars and thousands of man hours into making their engine before developing GW1.

Sanctum of Rall NA Engineer Commander

Guild Wars 2 needs a Public Beta Environment

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

So, some random nobody who wrote an article about NCSoft buying the rights to use the new Unreal engine has just decided Guild Wars 3 is happening…?

Yeah…

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

So, some random nobody who wrote an article about NCSoft buying the rights to use the new Unreal engine has just decided Guild Wars 3 is happening…?

Yeah…

Hey, not what I’m saying. I’m voting for the equally far fetched use of the Unreal engine to improve an existing game. Probably not GW2 though, still too fresh. My money might be on Blade and Soul or Aion.

The more likely thing is that they’re making a new MMO.

The least likely thing is they’re going to try to relaunch City of Heroes in an attempt to get back into the super hero games market and simultaneously spite Missing Worlds Media who are also currently building their game on the unreal 4 engine.

Posted by: Avascar.9237

Avascar.9237

It’s okay baby, don’t give your hopes up. Guild Wars 3 will have capes, don’t cry now.

Oh yeah, and cinematics, we’ll need those in Guild Wars 3.

mahri.8410

When I was reading reviews of this game, I read that GW2 uses a unique engine that they developed in house. It would be nice if Anet would utilize CryEngine 3 or even Unreal 3 for GW2— the program could then utilize multiple core CPUs and GPUs much better. We could then conceivably create community based mods for the game using the SDKs. But that’s calling for a complete overhaul and remake of their engine to use a new engine.

I do not foresee how it would be wise (profitable/ justified) for Anet to completely throw out their unique engine that made GW1 and GW2. They probably poured millions of dollars and thousands of man hours into making their engine before developing GW1.

Publishers usually, unfortunately don’t care of how much work have been put for a game, as long as a new game can bring them much more profit just for the initial hype. As example, the CoD sequels don’t bring something really new to the franchise, some
are really downgraded in quality. However, people continue to buy the games a lot, just by seeing the title CoD in the market. Unfortunately, for some players, the quality does not matter, it matters the name. NCSoft might think something like that, a sequel might grant them better venits just by the name. Unfortunately, sometimes, the initial hype brings bigger venits than a continuously supported game.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

As already pointed out the article refers to NCSoft specifically, not Arena Net.

No doubt another NCSoft mmo, but not an Arena Net/Guild Wars related one.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Meh, only thing that engine is good for are tech demos any more, very few really good games that last more than a month or two are made on that engine.

Posted by: buckeyecro.9614

buckeyecro.9614

[See my previous post] . . . .

Publishers usually, unfortunately don’t care of how much work have been put for a game, as long as a new game can bring them much more profit just for the initial hype. As example, the CoD sequels don’t bring something really new to the franchise, some
are really downgraded in quality. However, people continue to buy the games a lot, just by seeing the title CoD in the market. Unfortunately, for some players, the quality does not matter, it matters the name. NCSoft might think something like that, a sequel might grant them better venits just by the name. Unfortunately, sometimes, the initial hype brings bigger venits than a continuously supported game.

Exactly. Were Anet to develop another sequel I do not realistically foresee them tossing their engine aside. Their engine is probably their main Intellectual Property. However since NCSOFT technically owns Anet and likely Anet’s IP, and are a corporation, they will do everything possible to make as much money as possible even if it means throwing out an engine or fundamentally changing a game for better or worse that they likely spent millions to create if they could recoup a massive profit after doing so.

Sanctum of Rall NA Engineer Commander

Guild Wars 2 needs a Public Beta Environment

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

This is very old news. The speculation is that NCSOFT will be using it for their new version of Lineage (Lineage Eternal) and other projects being developed in Korea. Blade & Soul is build on UE3 and Aion on UE2.5. Either may be upgraded to use the new engine.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

OMG OMG If only they created a spiritual successor of Lineage 2 C1-C5, I would pay them 100€ for the box and 20€ per month! I would not care!!
now I am pretty hyped up

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

I’d love to see a Guild Wars sequel.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

This is very old news. The speculation is that NCSOFT will be using it for their new version of Lineage (Lineage Eternal) and other projects being developed in Korea. Blade & Soul is build on UE3 and Aion on UE2.5. Either may be upgraded to use the new engine.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Nah .. Lineage 2 was UE 2.5 .. Aion used CryEngine. I still remember the old CrySystem.dll crashes in Aion

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

I’m ready for Guild Wars 3. As long as its like Guild Wars 1 and not like GW2.

We need missions. And quests. And to feel like heroes.

Not this crap they have us doing now. Sometimes I even fee like the bad guy while playing PvE.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I’d love to see a Guild Wars sequel.

Ha, I see what you did there.

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

So I stupidly assumed that someone would actually read and research an article before posting about its contents like this, and didn’t bother clicking the link. Silly me.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

GW3 is not going to happen for many years yet. Once GW2 is closer to 10, maybe, but it’s too expensive to go build a new game when what you’ve already got still has plenty of time and space to grow.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

BigfootArisen.6509

So I stupidly assumed that someone would actually read and research an article before posting about its contents like this, and didn’t bother clicking the link. Silly me.

It came out 14 months ago. They’re still working on GW2. It took 5+ years to make GW2. They almost entirely shut down the work on GW1 during that time. GW3 is so far off that UE5 could very well be out. There is no way it is GW3.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Is that the same Examiner I see in the checkout line at the grocery store? The one that writes about Bigfoot and UFO’s?