Guild Wars Compared to GW2: Expansions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

So with GW1, almost exactly a year after the release, they had a new expansion; factions.

In GW2, we’re 2 months away from the anniversary, and all we have is the living story content (which is removed after it’s done) that was cleared in a couple days and we’ll never see again.

I personally would have MUCH rather gotten rid of ALL the living story content, and have had an expansion here in 2 months. Factions added a massive amount of awesome content….so far the living story has added nothing but minor forgettable distractions.

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

ALL we have had is living story stuff? Are you kidding?

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Your math is off. Game went live at the end of August so we’re a lot closer to 3 months than 2.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I suppose new PvP maps, new WvW features, Fractals, Guild Missions, etc don’t count?

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

I suppose new PvP maps, new WvW features, Fractals, Guild Missions, etc don’t count?

Still nowhere near the amount of content Factions added……

And no my math isn’t off, you’re nitpicking.

Mirta.5029

And factions was a full game. It wasn’t even an expansion it was literally a stand alone.

In GW2, we’re 2 months away from the anniversary, and all we have is the living story content (which is removed after it’s done) that was cleared in a couple days and we’ll never see again.

If you state that the living story was the only thing added, then yes, your math is off.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Factions would have added far more than the content added so far. By the same token Prophecies is actually far smaller than Guild Wars 2 is.

The combination of content in Prophecies and Factions together is actually less over all, the than total content Guild Wars 2 launched with.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

No not nitpicking…the stuff added/changed/improved outside of the living story is probably about 5 times the size of the living story stuff…

Anet give living story the banner headline but usually the additional stuff is equal to or bigger than the living story stuff…

Also, you forgot the big halloweon, xmas, 1st Southsun Cove/Karka, SAB events and fractals…

You appear to have a very selective memory…

STILL having said all that…

Anet have said they are experimenting with the living story and so far I would have preferred them to be working on a expansion, than doing the living story…

The living story is a GOOD effort by Anet but the time/speed they after do it in means you never know if the new content is going to be great like the molten forge dungeon, SAB, Southsun Cove island revamp or medicore or naff…its hit or miss…

I would have liked:-

1) Release original game…

2) Polish game until it shines, no to few bugs, every class as a role and is really powerful in those roles, lots of diverse builds…

3) Well a small (but elite) team maintains/polish the game, everyone else works on a expansion, which hopefully comes out 12-18 months after initial release…

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

^— That’s a bit debatable Vayne, but definitely very difficult to measure and it is at least close.
The world of Prophecies is actually much bigger I believe, there are more maps and they take far longer to traverse. But GW1’s content is certainly simpler, predominantly being storyline and maps – whereas GW2 offers much more complexity.

Also please take into consideration how different GW2 is from GW1. When they were developing content for GW1 there were far fewer things to consider. With GW2 if they want to add new zones for example they have to work on X,Y,Z, New Hearts, a ton of new Dynamic Events, Monsters, Loot tables, Skill points, Vistas, JP’s etc etc etc.
It isn’t fair to say GW1 had a major content release so GW2 should.

Also if you actually factor in all of the releases GW2 has had then it exceeds what was comparatively being added to GW1.
In it’s first year of existence GW1 got Sorrow’s Furnace, an elite dungeon that you could complete in an hour or two.
GW2 has had massive Halloween and Wintersday content releases, the original Southsun Event, The Living Story and a kittenload of changes to PvE, PvP and WvW.

An expansion will come when it is ready, and I certainly hope not before it is ready.

(Technically I don’t think the living story is great, but that’s more to do with it being temporary. I would have been over the moon if they had done similarly sized permanent content releases over the last few months. But the changes they’ve made and content they’ve implemented is still really impressive)

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

These are not worth of an expansion, these should be mere weekly add-ons. I expect expansion will bring something completely NEW:

- Classes
- Races
- Maps
- New Weapon Types (Morning Star, Crossbow, Whip, Pole Arms, Knuckles, ),
- More Legendary variety for each weapon type
- Guild Halls
- Player Housing
- At least 2 new Dungeons
- Twice as more appearance options
- New dyes
- Improve the level cap + extend traits
- Add more item Rarity choices because white, blue and green are junk and rare items are merely worth 20 silver. This leaves us with only exotics as a standard.

these were the minimum “MUST HAVE” in order to consider it an “Expansion”.

(edited by JubeiTM.5763)

Vayne.8563

^— That’s a bit debatable Vayne, but definitely very difficult to measure and it is at least close.
The world of Prophecies is actually much bigger I believe, there are more maps and they take far longer to traverse. But GW1’s content is certainly simpler, predominantly being storyline and maps – whereas GW2 offers much more complexity.

Also please take into consideration how different GW2 is from GW1. When they were developing content for GW1 there were far fewer things to consider. With GW2 if they want to add new zones for example they have to work on X,Y,Z, New Hearts, a ton of new Dynamic Events, Monsters, Loot tables, Skill points, Vistas, JP’s etc etc etc.
It isn’t fair to say GW1 had a major content release so GW2 should.

Also if you actually factor in all of the releases GW2 has had then it exceeds what was comparatively being added to GW1.
In it’s first year of existence GW1 got Sorrow’s Furnace, an elite dungeon that you could complete in an hour or two.
GW2 has had massive Halloween and Wintersday content releases, the original Southsun Event, The Living Story and a kittenload of changes to PvE, PvP and WvW.

An expansion will come when it is ready, and I certainly hope not before it is ready.

(Technically I don’t think the living story is great, but that’s more to do with it being temporary. I would have been over the moon if they had done similarly sized permanent content releases over the last few months. But the changes they’ve made and content they’ve implemented is still really impressive)

There aren’t more maps and they’re not bigger. First, the addition of underwater, which you couldn’t traverse, that along makes Guild Wars 2 bigger. But Prophecies was pathed. The reason you took longer to get around is because a lot of the area was off limits. You couldn’t climb a mountain. There were less caves to explore. If you drew straight lines in Prophecies, the zones are roughly the same size…but you could never walk in a straight line.

Remember Diessa Lowlands? It seemed huge. Go back now and take a look at it. Without the convoluted pathing it’s not as big as zones in Guild Wars 2…but there’s more.

The total number of quests in Prophecies and Factions combined is less than the number of dynamic events in Guild Wars 2. Not to mention the number of missions (25+13) can’t hold a candle to the number of personal story quests in Guild Wars 2.

And of course Prophecies has a single starting zone and nothing that could be considered a city. Once Factions came out, you could go to Kaineng Center, arguably the only city in the game. Guild Wars 2 not only has seven cities, but it has five starter zones, and they’re big zones.

Compared to the two starter zones in Prophecies and Factions, well, no it’s not more content. And though Underworld and FoW, The Deep and Urgoz’s Warren…plus Sorrow’s Embrace represented the elite content.

Guild Wars 2 has 8 dungeons, each with at least three explorable mode paths, not to mention the Fractals. When you look at the Guild Missions alone, the amount of additional content is actually quite large.

No, I think I can categorically state that Prophecies and Factions together has less content over all than Guild Wars 2. And let’s not belabor the fact that you could beat Factions in a couple of days, start to finish.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Personally Prophecies had far more content than GW2 had on opening, yes maybe the world is bigger here (debatable) but the content inside the world was far more substantial in Prophecies..

Factions just made the icing on top of the GW prophecies cake while expanding it two fold, GW2 is a donut compared to both..

Vayne.8563

Personally Prophecies had far more content than GW2 had on opening, yes maybe the world is bigger here (debatable) but the content inside the world was far more substantial in Prophecies..

Factions just made the icing on top of the GW prophecies cake, GW2 is donut compared..

Explain what you mean by MORE content. Were there more zones? Were the zones bigger? Were there more quests than dynamic events? Where there more missions than personal story instances? Were there more starting zones? Were there more dungeons? What exactly is this more content, because I played Prophecies recently. What you had was SLOWER content, but there wasn’t more of it.

Vayne.8563

Okay let’s put some facts down…so:

There are more zones in Guild Wars 1 than Guild Wars 2. This is a fact.

There were 48 zones in Guild Wars 1. There are only 25 zones in Guild Wars 2. The size of some of the zones in Guild Wars 1 was quite small, but let’s get to the meat of the matter.

Guild Wars 1, according to the Guild Wars 1 wiki, launched with 205 quests and 25 missions. Take a second to roll those numbers around in your mind. 205 quests and 25 missions. Even if you add the three elite areas, it’s still not nearly the 1500 dynamic events and the far greater number of personal stories in Guild Wars 2.

205 quests. That’s it. This doesn’t count hearts either. There are more hearts in Guild Wars than there were quests in Prophecies. In fact, there are 301 hearts in Guild Wars 2…which is 33% more hearts than quests in Prophecies. Now, if the hearts cancel out quests completely there are 1500 dynamic events that Prophecies had nothing to compare with.

How many of those Guild Wars 1 quests were long, or really memorable? Some were. There were some GREAT quests in Guild Wars 1. There was also accompanying a guy to collect devourer eggs, taking a honeycomb to lure of bees and finding gwen’s missing flute. Those quests include the various profession quests.

So let’s try not to directly compare Guild Wars 1 with Guild Wars 2 as far as actual content goes. There really is no contest, even with the addition of Factions, Guild Wars 2 still has more content.

If you consider empty zones with creatures in them content, once you take pathing into account, you’ll end up finding there were less hidden areas in Guild Wars 1. There were no jumping puzzles (or jumping for that matter), no vistas, no points of interest, and very few things that can qualify as mini dungeons.

There is one huge way that Guild Wars 1 was superior to Guild Wars 2. That’s in PvP types. There were far more PvP types in Guild Wars 1. I freely admit that. But there was nothing like WvW and in PVe, content-wise, you really can’t compare them. Not if you want to keep a straight face.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Mirta.5029

These are not worth of an expansion, these should be mere weekly add-ons. I expect expansion will bring something completely NEW:

- Classes
- Races
- Maps
- New Weapon Types (Morning Star, Crossbow, Whip, Pole Arms, Knuckles, ),
- More Legendary variety for each weapon type
- Guild Halls
- Player Housing
- At least 2 new Dungeons
- Twice as more appearance options
- New dyes
- Improve the level cap + extend traits
- Add more item Rarity choices because white, blue and green are junk and rare items are merely worth 20 silver. This leaves us with only exotics as a standard.

these were the minimum “MUST HAVE” in order to consider it an “Expansion”.

And I never said that it’s an expansion’s worth of content. I was talking about this:

Saying that living story is all we have is wrong when these other things were added. That’s all.