Guild Wars Gamer Murders rival gamer in NZ

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Very shocking news to hear. You don’t normally associate this kind of thing with a game like Guild Wars or mmorpgs:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/8344250/Accused-killer-first-lost-cyber-battle

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

crazy people are crazy, some of them also play games.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Rekuja.6318

Rekuja.6318

I just love how they mention the Adam Lanza nonsense at the very bottom of the article, disgusting journalism.. Stuff.co.nz is probably the worst type of journalism, almost as bad as Fox News….

I highly doubt he killed the guy because he lost in a PvP battle, the fact that he knew where the guy lived shows they weren’t strangers on the internet and probably had a massive argument rather than some stupid PvP battle.

Anyone that thinks games turn people into a murderer is a self centered and ignorant moron.

tldr: another stupid journalist writes another stupid summary of what they believe happened, thousands of ignorant people (older generation) believe everything they see on the news and thus begins the moronic spiral of how video games are apparently “bad”

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

pretty much yea . Its just easier to blame a game than to actually look for a real reason .

this was the only reliable thing said in the article
“clinical psychologist Craig Prince said there was no evidence violent online games created killers.”

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

What is this, the 80’s? I can’t wait for the Satanism accusations to start hailing down!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Timbersword.9014

Timbersword.9014

One was “academic and quiet.” The other was also in the same boat, “quiet, but very, very clever” with “remarkable work.” Now… I’m one to get jealous, to be honest. I don’t like trying hard at something only for someone else to do something in the same field only better, making it seem effortless, especially after they go “meh, this is actually pretty bad.”

Not saying Mr. Killer snapped over an IT field dispute because all we got were two descriptive words regarding him. Just saying, some people will snap when they can’t seem to win despite their best efforts.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I just love how they mention the Adam Lanza nonsense at the very bottom of the article, disgusting journalism.. Stuff.co.nz is probably the worst type of journalism, almost as bad as Fox News….

I highly doubt he killed the guy because he lost in a PvP battle, the fact that he knew where the guy lived shows they weren’t strangers on the internet and probably had a massive argument rather than some stupid PvP battle.

Anyone that thinks games turn people into a murderer is a self centered and ignorant moron.

tldr: another stupid journalist writes another stupid summary of what they believe happened, thousands of ignorant people (older generation) believe everything they see on the news and thus begins the moronic spiral of how video games are apparently “bad”

Moronic Spiral is a great album name, just saying.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

This sounds like crap “fake” to me. I am in NZ and have not heard of this and believe me this would make big headline news…..

However having said that I am going to look into it a bit more.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

You didn’t actually read the whole article did you?

Here’s just a few quotes:

“Despite the apparent link between the killing and the violent video game, Christchurch-based clinical psychologist Craig Prince said there was no evidence violent online games created killers.”

""It’s often very difficult to pinpoint which variable contributed to these things because people are so complicated,""

“The supposed link between video games and violence, alternatively mooted and refuted in contradictory multiple reports in recent years, resurfaced in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut, in the US.”

“…confirmed he enjoyed computer games but did not think he had any obsessive gaming tendencies.”

The writer does nothing to suggest that he believes that video games cause violence. In my opinion, he takes a very cautious and impartial approach to the subject.

The reason the Sandy Hook shooting was include is because the Sandy Hook shooting was a very high profile event concerning the issues that the murder raises.

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

We should ban females from existence, because they make men horny.

That’s just as logical as blaming video games.

Anyway, even though a tiff over the video game was mentioned in the police report, it wasn’t listed as the only possible motive. Journalists can choose to pick whichever sounded most newsworthy.

Ultimately he isn’t lying. Or maybe us gamers are just in denial that video games do cause violent tendencies.

What they don’t realise is, we’d be spending our time doing dailies/fractals than to remove our behinds from the chair just to kill someone. It’s just too much trouble!

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

lol this is 100% fantasy game, not even hardcore.. the writer never played this game, and assumed this is the cause lol. Sad for the dude, but this happends everyday. Stop blaming games. Blame the parents.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

This story reminds of the boy, that sawed a 12 year old boy in half, for killing him in Halo…..WTF is wrong with people lol

Oglaf.1074

Actually that is way more logical than blaming video games; there is significant proof that women actually do make men horny. There is no proof that video games makes you murder people.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Actually that is way more logical than blaming video games; there is significant proof that women actually do make men horny. There is no proof that video games makes you murder people.

Use a little more imagination with the analogy and bring it a step further. Molesters, rapists etc etc. The fault or problem would lie with the violator’s psyche. Likewise with people who would actually act out from a video game.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

“Players can spend considerable time and effort building characters – gaining experience, weaponry, armour and in-game money to become more powerful.”

Not Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 in any way, shape or form.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I like how GW is called a violent game.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

“Players can spend considerable time and effort building characters – gaining experience, weaponry, armour and in-game money to become more powerful.”

Not Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 in any way, shape or form.

Awww, you beat me to it. That was my favourite part that clearly illustrates the horrible sensationalist nature of this article that is clearly written by someone who can be bothered to fact check. Which essentially calls in to question every single other “fact” in the article.

Call me petty but any article which contains one obviously false statement which could have been avoided with simple fact checking loses all credibility for me.

Oglaf.1074

Well, technically most of our characters are guilt of mass murder, if not genocide.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Unspecified.9142

Unspecified.9142

Well, technically most of our characters are guilt of mass murder, if not genocide.

Can’t be genocide… those kittens just keep respawning…

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

I carefully analyzed the OP and the linked article.

Saying is still valid: “New Zealand, where men are men and the sheep are nervous”.

Also… Linked pic in article is GW – factions

Posted by: Kinglette.4906

Kinglette.4906

Can’t be genocide… those kittens just keep respawning…

Most animals do irl as well? but really they had a prior relationship or the dickhead would not have been able to drive to the victims house

80 Guardian, 80 Warrior, 80 Thief
[AVTR] FA

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Typical lazy journalism.

Why dig investigatively into important subjects, carefully analyzing arguments through the lens of fact to inform the public about things which may actually impact them, when you can publish a shallow puff piece that vaguely demonizes a pastime of a significant minority group.

This is what Rupert Murdoch has done to news internationally.

No wonder the western world is circling the S-Bend.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

We occasionally hear about this sort of thing happening. However it’s not due to games despite some in the media and how they portray gamers. It’s a sad reality we live in where crazy people do these things sometimes especially over something as trivial as gaming.

I have to admit I didn’t expect that reaction from the psychologist when i heard the name “ChristChurch” but then I realized it was in NZ, if you say something like that around here in America, the usual explanation is that “those games are going to send those poor souls straight to hellfire and brimstone”. Glad he gave the truly scientific explanation.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether it is true or not. There is a very loud minority in the US that sees gaming as the new dancing, in the (original) Footloose sense, and another, larger, minority that sees it as a way to deflect debate from the real issues. This latest article just feeds into the echo-chamber. Stay tuned for the “if the victim had a gun, this wouldn’t have happened” claptrap.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

plasmacutter.2709

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter whether it is true or not. There is a very loud minority in the US that sees gaming as the new dancing, in the (original) Footloose sense, and another, larger, minority that sees it as a way to deflect debate from the real issues. This latest article just feeds into the echo-chamber. Stay tuned for the “if the victim had a gun, this wouldn’t have happened” claptrap.

Exactly, it’s a more complicated “look, a flying pig!” to distract you while they help ship more jobs to china, import people under work visas so new grads have to work fast food, protect incumbent industry from both competition and bankruptcy, and do nothing to stop the trend of declining real median wage plus skyrocketing housing costs.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Oh, you have no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Although I know you are trying to be sarcastic, you should come to Saudi Arabia and see how serious they are on this…

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

Females don’t make gay men horny though

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

This. Movies are far more to blame, alongside dwindling economic opportunities, but meanwhile Hollywood gets another tax break on the backs of American small businesses.

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Females don’t make gay men horny though

Gay men acting feminine does though, oddly enough.

plasmacutter.2709

This. Movies are far more to blame, alongside dwindling economic opportunities, but meanwhile Hollywood gets another tax break on the backs of American small businesses.

don’t forget the 2% payroll tax increase affects middle class families too, but most of the cuts have been to education.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I’m sure that what the story says is exactly what happened; the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, because it’s the best journalism…

/sarcasm

Posted by: Sabbaticus.9573

Sabbaticus.9573

I am waiting for it to be like the 60’s Put your GW2 disk in backwards and it installs a demonic cult game…..Gotta love our main stream media. I agree The Adam Lanza reference was poor journalism at best.

Ansultares.1567

don’t forget the 2% payroll tax increase affects middle class families too, but most of the cuts have been to education.

What cuts? There have been no cuts yet.

Besides, do you mean the education system which has regularly seen above-inflation level budget increases per year for decades yet has at best remained stagnant in its results, and in many cases has steadily dropped year over year relative to world leaders in education?

It could use some cuts before it creates a kitten storm of its own making.

plasmacutter.2709

I am waiting for it to be like the 60’s Put your GW2 disk in backwards and it installs a demonic cult game…..Gotta love our main stream media. I agree The Adam Lanza reference was poor journalism at best.

It’s a new godwin’s law:

the longer a murder is discussed, the probability of blaming xyz media approaches 1.

in the 50’s it was rock & roll and comics

in the 80’s and 90’s it was tv and movies

2005 forward its gaming. (and in japan, they have a special offshoot for blaming anime otaku)

What cuts? There have been no cuts yet.

Besides, do you mean the education system which has regularly seen above-inflation level budget increases per year for decades yet has at best remained stagnant in its results,

I’m not referring to primary and secondary education, i’m referring to post-secondary (as in universities).

over the past decade or so, public funding per pupil at universities has been slashed an average of 21% (depending on the state) at both the federal and state level.

People blame university administrative pay, but the real driving force behind the inflation of college tuition is that the shortfall of government funding has to be made up somewhere.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57517032/why-college-tuition-keeps-rising/

Because nothing says “we want to nurture a thriving middle class” more than penalizing the industrious half of our children with crippling student debt that chains them to their parents’ basements.

Posted by: Khal Drogo.9631

Khal Drogo.9631

Right Guild wars a G-rated game is considered violent. It shows how ignorant the media types are. If I were a parent I would be much more concerned about games where you could chop cyborgs up into little pieces with blood and gore in full hd glory and rip out their spines. Even better still bank robbery simulators shooting civilians, cops and guards dead etc. I dont need to name the games: if you watch Youtube game reviewers / read gaming news online / own Steam, you probably know what their names are. Btw what is GTA?

Sure and CNN is such a font of knowledge when it comes to games. Or for unbiased news for that matter. And btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_Media_Limited

If GW2 can be blamed for murder, I suppose chess or checkers could be too.

Apologies to those who may find my posts on GW2 forums offensive and hateful.

(edited by Khal Drogo.9631)

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

Aside from mentioning Guild Wars and Oblivion and defining the game style, this article in no way confirms that these people actually played Guild Wars. Or that the game in question was Guild Wars. Plus the fact that perpetrator not only knew the victim outside the game, but where the victim lived, suggests that there was a relationship beyond the game, whether or not their relationship was solely based on their mutual interest in said game. The game may have been a catalyst for the attack, but unlikely the sole cause.

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

Right Guild wars a G-rated game is considered violent. It shows how ignorant the media types are. If I were a parent I would be much more concerned about games where you could chop cyborgs up into little pieces with blood and gore in full hd glory and rip out their spines. Even better still bank robbery simulators shooting civilians, cops and guards dead etc. I dont need to name the games: if you watch Youtube game reviewers / read gaming news online / own Steam, you probably know what their names are. Btw what is GTA?

Sure and CNN is such a font of knowledge when it comes to games. Or for unbiased news for that matter. And btw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_Media_Limited

Someone above listed the bugbears by decade but got one a bit wrong. In the 80s it wasn’t music and TV that was the root of all evil, it was heavy metal music and Dungeons & Dragons. So, yes, apparently board games can cause people to worship the devil and become murderers, as well as encouraging suicide.

As for Murdoch… Murdoch did change the news media, with the help of Roger Ailes. Fox News is simply the end result of a decades long move from actual news to newstainment. Murdoch’s background is in tabloids where scandal, gossip and manufactured stories are the bread and butter of the business. He took the tabloid format from print and applied it to the screen.

Fun fact: Fox News’ slogan of “Fair & Balanced” is often mocked, but it is usually factually correct. The news content generally is “fair & balanced”, the problem is that 95% of what is on Fox News is not news. They give you the news story, during a news break, and the few seconds that the story lasts for generally covers everything to appropriate jounalistic standards. But then those few seconds of balance are thrown out the window by hours of one-sided discussion.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

plasmacutter.2709

Someone above listed the bugbears by decade but got one a bit wrong. In the 80s it wasn’t music and TV that was the root of all evil, it was heavy metal music and Dungeons & Dragons. So, yes, apparently board games can cause people to worship the devil and become murderers, as well as encouraging suicide.

As for Murdoch… Murdoch did change the news media, with the help of Roger Ailes. Fox News is simply the end result of a decades long move from actual news to newstainment. Murdoch’s background is in tabloids where scandal, gossip and manufactured stories are the bread and butter of the business. He took the tabloid format from print and applied it to the screen.

Fun fact: Fox News’ slogan of “Fair & Balanced” is often mocked, but it is usually factually correct. The news content generally is “fair & balanced”, the problem is that 95% of what is on Fox News is not news. They give you the news story, during a news break, and the few seconds that the story lasts for generally covers everything to appropriate jounalistic standards. But then those few seconds of balance are thrown out the window by hours of one-sided discussion.

What they choose to cover (or ignore) is also a form of imbalance.

I also don’t term it “appropriate journalistic standards” to parrot unsubstantiated musings on extremist blogs.

Khal’s counterpoint of CNN is true though.

Since FNC pretty much all major news outlets have left investigative integrity, critical thought, and fact-checking in their lockers.

CNN for example will often parrot corporate press releases without fact-check, treats nutjobs from places like hot air as “equally distinguished” as Ph.D.s from our finest institutions, and has never in the past 15 years exhibited any effort to truly dissect the arguments advanced by the idiots in office (and they’re in office DUE to that lack of effort on CNN’s part)

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Nothing more to say than this.

A video game may have sent this person off the handle because it was the most readily available trigger. It could of just as easily been a snarky comment, a basketball game, a rumor he heard, or someone was playing their music to loud. An emotionally unbalanced and/or disturbed person killed someone, case closed.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This reminds me of when a girl was stabbed in my school. The first report said something like “16 year old girl stabbed, wearing AC/DC t-shirt”.

In a sense they were right, she was wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, but it was under her school uniform, her attacker didn’t know about it and it was completely irrelevant to the fight. The next few headlines acted like the motive was a complete mystery and went for a fear-mongoring “who knows what teens will do these days?” vibe and the truth only came out via a police investigation.

This is in spite of the fact that anyone in their year could have told you why it happened on the day and the whole school knew within a week. It was a long-running argument that was always going to end badly, but got drastically out of hand thanks to one idiot girl. But I guess that makes less of a good story than psychotic teenagers rampaging across our towns or discrimiation over music escalating to actual violence.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

No names, no places, no crosslinked sources… I smell fake.
Btw this kind of things happened long before the paper & dice games, so nothing news under the Sun.

Ansultares.1567

Because nothing says “we want to nurture a thriving middle class” more than penalizing the industrious half of our children with crippling student debt that chains them to their parents’ basements.

So your solution is to have the government step in and subsidize the rapaciously greedy university system?

None of the others are any better. PBS is just as biased; it’s what makes the government subsidies even more of a joke (lets face it, any network with Big Bird could survive on its own).

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

You didn’t actually read the whole article did you?

Here’s just a few quotes:

“Despite the apparent link between the killing and the violent video game, Christchurch-based clinical psychologist Craig Prince said there was no evidence violent online games created killers.”

""It’s often very difficult to pinpoint which variable contributed to these things because people are so complicated,""

“The supposed link between video games and violence, alternatively mooted and refuted in contradictory multiple reports in recent years, resurfaced in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in Connecticut, in the US.”

“…confirmed he enjoyed computer games but did not think he had any obsessive gaming tendencies.”

The writer does nothing to suggest that he believes that video games cause violence. In my opinion, he takes a very cautious and impartial approach to the subject.

The reason the Sandy Hook shooting was include is because the Sandy Hook shooting was a very high profile event concerning the issues that the murder raises.

Thank god, I thought I was the only one who wasn’t too busy having a knee-jerk reaction siezure to actually read. “Omg they’re trying to ban games!!!!1”.. is clearly not what they are saying in this report.

A perfectly reasonable bit of journalism that doesn’t appear to be following any kind of anti-games agenda. I’ve seen far worse coverage of similar crimes on major US networks for sure.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Its like news i heard other day, a market stand worker killed worker on stand next to him after short argument. With a gun. And cause is probably that argument, since most of market stand sellers carry guns to market.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

surprising because GW2 is pretty big on grief avoiding, top of the market I say. Crazy people.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Here we go again…Games causes violence,they are the root of all evil on earth.If someone gets killed,you betcha he played video games in his life ! Because thats what videogames do,they turn people into raging murderers ! Right… ?

Getting tired of them trying to blame all evil and killings on videogames.Where the h have they been the last few hundred years of people waging war,taking over countrys and killing everyone that stood in there way ? They should know people.. Are evil,and videogames has nothing to do with any killing At All,like theyre trying to assume in this article..Getting tired of ths crusade against videogames being the root of all evil and always trying to link it to being the reason of a murder.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Putting blame on new things will never stop. In the 80s we had the PMRC with their views on music that would be the decline of the youth. Bands got blamed for suicides (Judas Priest), others were blackmarked for having too sexually or satanically inspired lyrics.

If that would lead the masses to become rapists or murderers I guess that means all of us that listen to even more “extreme” music would be fullblooded psychopaths just waiting for our next victim.

Sure there are people that are unstable, but its no indication that blames, movies or music are to blame.

There are fairly modern examples where music has gotten the blame. The church burnings in Norway in the early 90’s where black metal got the blame, when in fact it was just the ideas of a man, unrelated to the music, that set it into motion. Press said it was satanists when it actually was a man with “pagan” and rightwing ideas that did it.

He kept being labeled as a satanist, even by fans of his music, which has nothing to do with satanism.

edit: Not claiming that Varg was unstable or insane, what he did was just not acceptable by the norm of society.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

Posted by: jayb.1329

jayb.1329

Glad to see so many level headed people posting…gives me hope

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

It’s not gaming. It’s the people.

If the majority of murderers were found to have visited a particular fast food restaurant every day, would the fast food then be to blame?

As the last paragraph of the article states the recent Sandy Hook tragedy murderer was an “avid gamer”.

Well, I’m an avid gamer and I can assure you, I have no intention what so ever of murdering anyone in real life.

I’m mentally sane and can discern the difference between real life and a video game.