Guild Wars ? Ummm No guild fighting here?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: POTDOG.1765

POTDOG.1765

Ok so GW2 . But no guild fighting another guild? First game have no idea this game //? Money grab ? Help i’m dumb <

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This is what I think.

It’s because Guild Wars 1 was originally a mainly PvP game with some PvE and it did have a way to fight guild against guilds. However, the Devs found out that most players were PvE and the game slowly started focusing on that. As time went on, the PvE content got bigger and more important and the PvP content didn’t.

When Guild Wars 2 was planned the name was too well known and too important to them to drop, even though this is a primarily PvE game and has no guild vs guild content. Changing it to some other name would mean lost sales as name recognition is extremely important in marketing.

People will say lore, but imo that’s the real reason.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sinistral.5782

Sinistral.5782

i think this dog got too much pot

Posted by: wizzard.1295

wizzard.1295

yes, cuz the name has everything to do with GvG ….
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Yes. GW1 was originally made as a GvG game with PvE as a tutorial. The name and the lore come from GvG. The name does not come from lore.

In an update surrounding the expansion guild leaderboards will be introduced so there’s that.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Yeah… I’m pretty sure it actually does.
People always try to cite that, but do you really believe that the backstory is what inspired the name (and the game mode?)
I’m pretty sure the lore was created to serve as a cute tie-in to the PvP content they wanted to build their game around.

As for GW2 though, the name stuck simply because its an existing series and calling it ’Tomorrow’s Tyria’ wouldn’t catch peoples’ eyes.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Samarak.7519

Samarak.7519

Destiny’s Edge is a guild…They are at war with the Dragons. Guild Wars.

Loving the game, thanks Anet.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Destiny’s Edge is a guild…They are at war with the Dragons. Guild Wars.

West Side Dragons?

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Ok so GW2 . But no guild fighting another guild? First game have no idea this game //? Money grab ? Help i’m dumb <

My guild just battled another guild yesterday.

Me and my Guildmates goes Unranked or Ranked and somethimes we are up against another guild. Even when the fight starts it says Alpha Sgc Vs. (The name of another Guild).

Also the name is Lore. It’s like saying Final Fantasy isn’t Final Fantasy becouse it is never the Final Fantasy. This has been discussed many times before.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Help i’m dumb <

^^

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Worst excuse ever made to not have guild wars in guild wars.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Wait. There’s no dog meat in my hotdog? You mean names aren’t completely literal?!

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wait. There’s no dog meat in my hotdog? You mean names aren’t completely literal?!

That reminds me of the story about the researcher who was in the jungle. He was eating a hotdog and one of the tribal men asked him what it was. He told them it was a hot dog. The man asked him, what part of the dog? The researcher held up the hot dog and said, what part do you think? Then asked the other man if he wanted some. The man said, NO!

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

@OP, You are not the only one that is disappointed, many of us still waits for GvG, and to be honest, many of us does play WvW just for a gvg reason, because we can arrange fights there. If anet takes that away from us with no open field, many of us will probably quit WvW & GW2.

But i’m patient and i still hope and wait that anet Adds GvG.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

@OP, You are not the only one that is disappointed, many of us still waits for GvG, and to be honest, many of us does play WvW just for a gvg reason, because we can arrange fights there. If anet takes that away from us with no open field, many of us will probably quit WvW & GW2.

Do note that the guild wars fanbase uses two very different definitions for ‘GvG’. The first definition is GvG as it was in GW1: relatively small scale ( 8 vs 8 ) organized pvp matches where the objective was to kill the opposing guild lord (the combination of leaderboards and stronghold make this somewhat a reality in GW2). The second definition is GvG as it is practiced in WvW in GW2: relatively large scale combat in large open areas where the objective is just death match (I think?).

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Do note that the guild wars fanbase uses two very different definitions for ‘GvG’. The first definition is GvG as it was in GW1: relatively small scale ( 8 vs 8 ) organized pvp matches where the objective was to kill the opposing guild lord (the combination of leaderboards and stronghold make this somewhat a reality in GW2). The second definition is GvG as it is practiced in WvW in GW2: relatively large scale combat in large open areas where the objective is just death match (I think?).

Please, IF you did maybe read my quite, it should tell you enough about me.
If i could compare you with Game of Thrones character, i would pick Jon Snow.
Stronghold IS NOTHING like GvG GW1.
WvW GvG/Scrims is the closest, but effort that we put in to actually fight, is insane.

WvW GvG/Scrim today:
- you have to find an enemy in specific week (WvW server rotations)
- you have to find area where to find, because there are only hand full of spots
- you will have problems because Obsidian Sanctum is almost never free
- if you don’t get OS, you’ll have problems in open WvW map because zerg will come to you
- you will get trolled, and people will add in on purpose to ruin your fights
- you get only one reward for this, busting your nastalgic bar

If you sum up entire thing, we put more effort into this then people that do most challenging content like Fractal50 or TT. Nothing can compare to this, and yet we are trolled and anet doesn’t give a single F to make our dream mode come true.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes. GW1 was originally made as a GvG game with PvE as a tutorial. The name and the lore come from GvG. The name does not come from lore.

No… GW1 was not made as a GvG game. GvG was a mode, yes. The game started out as pvp based with a pve tutorial, but the pvp it was training you for was NOT GvG. It aimed at getting you into HoH.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

The name guildwars comes from an historical event in the lore called the guild wars. It has nothing to do with guilds fighting other guilds.

The first game was originally developped with the emphasis on PvP (where GvG was just a very minor portion off). Allready before launch it was chosen to be more focussed on both PvE and PvP and the PvE element grew even bigger.

In GW2, this line was continued, while PvP is an important part of the game, the game focusses more on the PvE part. the name, as it never had anything to do with PvP, however sticked around.

If you want to argue that PvP should get more attention, please do. But also pls bring good and strong arguments. The name of the game is not a strong argument.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

But… but… they choose the name “Guild Wars” because of the GvG in the original game…

Maybe,, a long time ago, there was actually dog meat inside hotdogs :o MINDBLOWN :o

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yeah… I’m pretty sure it actually does.
People always try to cite that, but do you really believe that the backstory is what inspired the name (and the game mode?)
I’m pretty sure the lore was created to serve as a cute tie-in to the PvP content they wanted to build their game around.

As for GW2 though, the name stuck simply because its an existing series and calling it ’Tomorrow’s Tyria’ wouldn’t catch peoples’ eyes.

The problem here is that people are living in the past. The original game was DESIGNED the way you say, but it adapted afterwards when Anet realized that PvE was as popular and perhaps more popular than PvP.

They may have initially started as mainly a PvP game, but a few years after launch, long before Guild Wars 2 ever launched, Guild Wars 1 shifted to a primarily PvE game. The last two titles they released weren’t about PvP. Almost all the achievements are PvE achievements.

So the game Guild Wars wouldn’t have applied by your standards even during the reign of the first game. The second game, naturally, took off where the first game has left off. Even to the tune where Anet said directly that they advertised the PvE aspect of the game a full year before they started talking about PvP so that they could break the illusion (paraphrasing that) that the game was a PvP-centric game.

They kept the name because that’s what you do. You don’t get name recognition at a cost and then abandon it, even if you do change focus.

I played Guild Wars 1 for well over five years predominantly as a PvE game. Never once was I involved in a GvG match.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

There’s no dog meat in my hotdog?

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

You can GvG if you want and part of the lore even involves “Guild Wars”. What the heck did you want?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

The problem here is that people are living in the past. The original game was DESIGNED the way you say, but it adapted afterwards when Anet realized that PvE was as popular and perhaps more popular than PvP.

Which doesn’t change the basis of the name.
I’m not saying the game should be about GvG. Hell, I personally hate PvP to the point I’d be glad to see it removed, but all of that’s irrelevant to where the title originated from.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.