"Guild Wars" a misleading title

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tornadokicks.3845

tornadokicks.3845

Is it me or should a game called guild wars have the ability for guilds to have wars? I understand there’s pvp and WvWvW but where’s the option/ability for guilds to compete or even have tournaments?

I would love to see this as something added to the game. I’d prefer it to not have the ‘Auto level 80’ function so it’s the actual guild’s level’s competing but ‘Auto level 80’ would still be ok.

I just think using the same name for the game when there’s no such guild wars is a little misleading. Do you think guild fights and options should be expanded like I do?

What happened to the suggestions section?

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Guild Wars is reference to the history and lore of the universe not to accentuate the term guild.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Guild_Wars

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

The title ‘Guild Wars’ refers to the backstory of the game, as the Guild Wars were a period of internal human strife that occurred just before the original game’s story began, a conflict that weakened the human nations and left them vulnerable to the Searing in Ascalon and the subsequent Charr invasions.

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

That’s not what ‘Guild Wars’ means in the game. Lrn2lore.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

But its what people who have no pre-notions of the game will precieve it. Its the same thought I had before playing after leaving WoW.

Posted by: tornadokicks.3845

tornadokicks.3845

Ok, that’s fine. However it doesn’t affect the fact that a game titled guild wars doesn’t have any guild wars. So my question again is;

Would you like the option for guild fights/tournaments?

What happened to the suggestions section?

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

“Guild Wars” roots back to early information about Guild Wars 1. GvG was supposed to be much bigger than it was. They planned wars where guilds could take over outposts and castles, form alliances and plot against each other. Something like a mix of eve online and the WvW that we have now in Guild Wars 2. The idea was later scrapped however, and the name had to be explained somehow.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Ok, that’s fine. However it doesn’t affect the fact that a game titled guild wars doesn’t have any guild wars. So my question again is;

Would you like the option for guild fights/tournaments?

We already have that, it’s called GvG

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

But its what people who have no pre-notions of the game will precieve it. Its the same thought I had before playing after leaving WoW.

That’s the players fault, though.

The same could be said about ‘World of Warcraft’. What if I know nothing about it and get the game thinking it’s a bigger version of the RTS it’s named after?

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

The same could be said about ‘World of Warcraft’. What if I know nothing about it and get the game thinking it’s a bigger version of the RTS it’s named after?

Holy crap, World of Warcraft is a MMO? Who thought that was a good idea?

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Posted by: Sweetbread.2679

Sweetbread.2679

I think the better question is why is it called Guild Wars 2 when it has absolutely nothing in common with the first game. Why even make a sequel?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I didn’t think the game would be about guilds having wars. For all I knew the groups of players associated with each other might have been called Tribes or Posses or Bands. Just as Professions aren’t called Classes in this Universe.

GvG is something some people would enjoy. I’m not for or against it, but I don’t think the name of a product always mandates what it might be. Lol, some movie and show titles could be quite misleading. =)

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

“Guild Wars” roots back to early information about Guild Wars 1. GvG was supposed to be much bigger than it was. They planned wars where guilds could take over outposts and castles, form alliances and plot against each other. Something like a mix of eve online and the WvW that we have now in Guild Wars 2. The idea was later scrapped however, and the name had to be explained somehow.

This is the correct explanation.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s correct that the name “Guild Wars” is not about GvG. But, any game with “guild” in the title probably holds the notion of guild in high regard. What does it mean? Well, we know the etymology, where it came from. Webster has: “: an organized group of people who have joined together because they share the same job or interest; especially : an association of people who made or sold goods in the Middle Ages”.

I would say significant elements would be “joined together” and ‘association’. People have joined together for some reason and now receive a portion of their identity through their association with a given guild. It would seem that if you wanted to model it in a game you would want to produce a strong identification with the guild, perhaps wearing a tabard and deriving a sense of identity from membership.

What are guilds in GW2? With the possibility of multiple membership there will be no strong identification—players won’t derive any sense of identity from their association. At the worst extreme look at the guilds created solely to kill bosses. Is that what you want to model, guild as ad hoc groupings of people to meet one objective in a given day.

Regardless of what you think of the state of guilds halls and GvG, what do you think of the state of the concept of “guild” in GW2.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

yo where dat info at dawg

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Scarlet Wars 2

Better?

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Scarlet Wars 2

Better?

I once named the shortcut icon on my desktop “Scarlet’s Alliance Wars,” as it is probably the most appropriate description of the game as of now. A fantasy with sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

On a bit more serious note: you’d expect from a game heavily implied to be built on the Guild Wars of old – and the last, bloodiest war that raged for 57 years, making the bedding for all the world-shaping calamities to come – to actually make allusions to those. But at least not disrespect it as much as it has become one of the main foci of the writing team! I mean, you wouldn’t handwave away the importance of the very reason these wars broke out, would you?

Still, aside from Trahearne’s monologue in the story step of A Light in the Darkness and a footnote in a secluded outpost in Malchor’s Leap, there’s absolutely zero reference to the Guild Wars.

And now, I won’t go there (game mechanics and promises).

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

…aside from Trahearne’s monologue in the story step of A Light in the Darkness and a footnote in a secluded outpost in Malchor’s Leap, there’s absolutely zero reference to the Guild Wars

Commander, to me.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

if GW2 was close to the original GW then GW2 would be allot better and allot more interactive, sadly all we get is a farm fest with an enormous bulk of achievements.

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Yup. That is what I thought it was about.. Guilds of players battling it out… Until I started playing and lrn2lore.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Well it has nothing to do with the last game so I can understand the confusion =)

Posted by: skyz.7321

skyz.7321

Stop saying its a lore thing, that argument only holds so much weight, frankly it is emaciated now.

GW2 is so disconnected from any of the lore to do with its namesake, the best it does is share a few similar names, anything else? Nope. The name is shared for the sake of marketing.

Guild Halls
Guild vs Guild
Guild Alliances

Where they at?

Less gem store updates more game updates.

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Should it rather have been called World of Tyria: Cataclysm?
Oh wait…

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

they should at least add guild halls, it’s the one thing that sets GW guilds apart from any MMO out there.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

To put it differently, since I understand about the lore:

They should add guild halls – then they should add GvG.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

the name Guild Wars 2 is used for the sake of the franchise name.

if they use different name, the old GW fan wouldn’t even touched this.

not even 1 % of the content in the game are related to guild, let alone warring guilds….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

Stop saying its a lore thing, that argument only holds so much weight, frankly it is emaciated now.

GW2 is so disconnected from any of the lore to do with its namesake, the best it does is share a few similar names, anything else? Nope. The name is shared for the sake of marketing.

Guild Halls
Guild vs Guild
Guild Alliances

Where they at?

You have to ignore huge amounts of content to say it has no connection to Guild Wars lore… The current Living Story does not, but much of the content does.

Posted by: noelclover.9408

noelclover.9408

Guild Halls
Guild vs Guild
Guild Alliances

Where they at?

I disagree. I think that GW2 is connected to GW1 through it’s settings and events. It’s connected via lore through that. If your point can be taken then we would have to deny the original series as well seeing as they didn’t really have anything to do with the Guild Wars event itself.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink” :)
-John Smith

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

GW2 is starting to feel as connected to GW1 as Star Wars: The Holiday Special is to Star Wars.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

(edited by Thalador.4218)

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

Yes, the title is misleading.

And for those wo take the “lore” as an excuse for the naming.

The “lore” was introduced to give some background story to the game mechanic of (and now it comes) guild battles in GW1.

So
Guild Wars 1 = guild battles = some appropriate lore
Guild Wars 2 = no guild battles = who cares about the “lore” here anyway = misleading

This won’t end well…

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

First thing I posted on this forum immediately after playing a bit with the game and realizing that the game mode was missing.

I even bought GW2 for GvG battles, because of the good memories I had of GW1…
It’s like they enjoy not giving that game mode to us, even if they would make money with it.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I think the better question is why is it called Guild Wars 2 when it has absolutely nothing in common with the first game. Why even make a sequel?

And we have a winner.
/thread

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

QFT

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

You could ask the same question about Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 and all those other “big ips”.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

not even 1 % of the content in the game are related to guild, let alone warring guilds….

Hm?
About 100% of the Story Mode Dungeons are very much related to guilds (or well, one specific guild).
The Pact could be considered a type of guild as well, and so could the Orders.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Should it rather have been called World of Tyria: Cataclysm?
Oh wait…

The dragons do remind me of that WoW expansion..

lordkrall.7241

The dragons do remind me of that WoW expansion..

Which is quite funny seeing as the synopsis of GW2 was released two years before Cataclysm was announced

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

/endthread

Obsidian.1328

Hm?
About 100% of the Story Mode Dungeons are very much related to guilds (or well, one specific guild).
The Pact could be considered a type of guild as well, and so could the Orders.

Well, now you’re just being extremely general.

I have a guild too! It’s 3 members strong: me, my wolf pet, and my mini Orrian chicken. Oh the good times we’ve had. We did the Guild Trek the other day and those crazy guys wouldn’t go leave my side. Needless to say we failed it…but we all laughed about it anyway! =D

/endsarcasm

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

lordkrall.7241

Story mode dungeon is more or less about Destiny’s Edge, which is very much a guild.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

The only misleading thing about the title is the fact that it’s presented as a sequel to the original.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

That fact that this Guild Wars has the number 2 at the end of its name should suggest that it is a sequel to a previous game called Guild Wars. So what you should be asking yourself is ‘Why is the first game called Guild Wars?’. And I think you will find a sufficient answer to that question.

Edit – kitten , Ninja’d by a Gnat!

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

I played the predecessor and as much as i love gw2 it has absolutely nothing in common with gw1. Infact World of charrcraft would fit better.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

The OP is right. The title is misleading like many other words put in-game. But this is just an example in the whole gaming industry. They give names to their games thet have nothing to do with the game itself. A mentioned above, World of Warcraft or All Point Bulletin, AION, Terra etc.

The question is…. and mini puzzle game too… how would you call this game if you had the chance to do it?

Obsidian.1328

…how would you call this game if you had the chance to do it?

Can’t take credit for this one: The Scarlet Variety Show featuring Dragons!

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

…how would you call this game if you had the chance to do it?

Mists of Tyria?

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

A few of mine
" Tyrian Epic Adventures "
" The Legend of Tyria "
" I, Hero "

but I liked that “The Scarlet Variety Show featuring Dragons” +1

Obsidian.1328

My other legit reply got deleted…no idea why.

The name comes from 2004ish when GW1 ANet was toying with the idea of having Guilds control actual real-estate on all of Tyria. Think Factions and WvW mixed, but on a much grander scale.

Here’s a Guru link that explains it better: World at War.(about 3/4 down the page)

The “Guild Wars” in the lore was added later when they scrapped that idea in favor of smaller, instanced PvP like Tombs, and HA.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

(edited by Obsidian.1328)

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

The OP is right. The title is misleading like many other words put in-game. But this is just an example in the whole gaming industry. They give names to their games thet have nothing to do with the game itself. A mentioned above, World of Warcraft or All Point Bulletin, AION, Terra etc.

The question is…. and mini puzzle game too… how would you call this game if you had the chance to do it?

The more important question is: how would you have deisgned this game keeping in mind it is called “Guild Wars 2?”

If it were me, I would have tried to do the original plan of having Guilds in the game with guild halls that a guildmaster can purchase, I would have an “Eternal Battlegrounds” where the guilds really do wage war against each other.

I would stop all this tree-hugging nonsense, there is too much love for sylvari in this game and it’s deadeningly, sickeningly obvious.

I would stop with these big open world events that are (G+G+G+G+G+G+G+G)vE and not Guild Wars.

And a person would only be allowed to join one guild.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Posted by: Aioros.4862

Aioros.4862

how would you call this game if you had the chance to do it?

How’s “World of Ascended Craft”?