Guild Wars helped me keep fighting irl. TY!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I posted early this year about how I’ve been fighting cancer; how I had extensive surgery, and how this game and the friends I made here keep going.

The cancer came back. I am starting chemo in a few weeks; it was delayed for months because of insurance issues, but finally, it’s going to happen.

I appreciate ANET sticking to the release schedule, even if some systems aren’t quite finished, because that means I still will get to enjoy some of HoT, whatever happens. I was too sick to play in the betas, but my treatment and pain management has improved, so now I can log in for a few hours each week.

So thank you for not delaying things.

Some people think that posts like this are silly or pointless, that really sick people should focus on bigger things. We ARE. But it’s also necessary to keep hold of small things, too. For a decade, I was homebound, partly because of this cancer. Guild Wars was a way for me to experience sunny skies and do things and run around and make friends again, even if it was just virtual. It played a huge part in me coping with the isolation until I got well enough to start having a real life again. It will always be important to me.

So, now that I’m getting ready for the next step in my fight, I am glad that ANET will let me, when I am able, to have new small, make-believe, but very precious adventures in Tyria.

Thank you.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

May I say what a wonderful post yours is! I don’t think it’s a silly or pointless post, it comes from the heart and no post on any forum can beat those!

Keep fighting and keep playing! Many of us have lost loved ones to cancer and I take my hat off to you for posting this.

Hope to see you in HoT when it starts :-)

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Hope every thing work well for you and beat this cancer.

;)

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

I’ve lost three family members to cancer. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, two uncles are prostate cancer survivors. It’s a terrible thing, and no one should ever have to go through it alone. I’m so very happy you were able to find comfort and friendship in the only game I keep coming back to to play. I hope your fight goes well. There’s nothing wrong with expressing gratitude for something that has brought some measure of joy to your life.

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

May the Six Gods speed you to recovery.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

As was already said, there is nothing wrong with finding strength, hope, and distraction in a video game. I wish you all the luck, good feelings, hope, and love in the world. Enjoy HoT, and kick cancer’s butt.

Posted by: CadeRG.4508

CadeRG.4508

This is beautiful and inspiring.
I hope for your speedy recovery. You are in our thoughts.

Vaulting daredevil leap frog teef of AoE destruction

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

You’ll kick that nasty kitten cancer. And i hope it will be forever this time.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Mojo sent Sylv, and see you in the game soon.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Cerbeius.7129

Cerbeius.7129

As they say, without darkness there can be no light.

May Grenth shield you through the shadows

Lady Cerba, Ascalonian Priestess of Grenth

- Piken Square, [REN][DKAL]

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m so sorry your cancer came back, but glad to hear you’re ready to fight! There’s nothing silly about this sentiment. Find strength where you can. It’s beautiful.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Stop fighting the Cancer like a Thief, and start demolishing the cancer like a DD Ele.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and hopes for as much enjoyable time in Heart of Thorns as desired. =)

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

God bless you I will say a prayer for you. I sincerely hope you get better. It’s sad to read your story but it’s encouraging to know that you have the strength to carry on and keep on fighting both in Tyria and IRL. Keep it up!

Posted by: Pimsley.3681

Pimsley.3681

Good luck with your fight and stay strong! Rest assured that we Tyrians will have you in our prayers.

Sylv.5324

Thank you so much for the well-wishes. <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Some people think that posts like this are silly or pointless, that really sick people should focus on bigger things.

absolutely not. Every source of enjoyment counts, in general and especially in such a situation. I wish you all the best!

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Best of luck in your fight against your cancer, I root for you!

Posts like this is important in my opinion.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Sylv.5324

I’m not surprised. Unfortunately, I need to get some kind of table for my bed, because I really hurt afterward from the hunching forward with a laptop on my bed. T_T

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Squishy.3806

Squishy.3806

Oh no a fellow toastie in trouble! Rally the troops! I’m sure I can speak for everyone on TC when I say we hope you have a speedy recovery!! The best of the best of luck with the battle. Stay strong and feel free to hit me up in game if you ever need some fun peeps to hang out with! Everytime I stomp someone on the battlefield it will be in your honour! Soldier on soldier!

[WL] Bogan Queen
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: cherrycola.3127

cherrycola.3127

Back in the day I used to see you around in the RP scene once in a while and you always seemed pretty cool. Best wishes. I hope things get better from here and I hope you’re able to really dive into HoT and have a great time.

Athayne Elora, Ele
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Not silly at all. Hope you’ll enjoy many more adventures in Tyria! ^____^
Hoping your treatment goes well! Keep fighting!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Sylv — I will hold you in my thoughts, and keep you in mind this evening, as we celebrate the launch of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.

Looking forward to seeing you in the game again soon!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Zurchin.8479

Zurchin.8479

It’s amazing how much the mind helps in our healing process, this is why things like positive thinking, friendly environments and even things like placebos actually work. Spending time in an environment even that of a game that gives those good feelings does actually help, so keep your friends close and hug a quaggan a day and you’ll be fine.

Zee Bear Claw [GLAD]
Aurora Glade

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Welcome to Tyria. Hope you doing well and let’s have fun.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Stay strong, dont let that evil cancer get the best of you. Do whatever you need to do to relax and keep your mind calm and focused, but always keep fighting.

Attachments:

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Find your joy wherever you can and devil take anyone who would deny you.

May your recovery be swift and complete.

Sylv.5324

Thank you guys. ;.; <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Merrydew.4079

Merrydew.4079

Hi Sylv!

I did not want to take away from your OP but I want you to know you are not alone in your fight.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in February and I use GW2 as part of my pain control, fatigue fighter and nausea reducer.

I have received so much support from the friends I have made in game and just having a world where I can lose myself in the simple beauty of my surroundings when real life gets ugly.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your fight and if you need to vent or cry or whatever, know that you can talk to me.

hugs

Sylv.5324

Hi Sylv!

I did not want to take away from your OP but I want you to know you are not alone in your fight.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in February and I use GW2 as part of my pain control, fatigue fighter and nausea reducer.

I have received so much support from the friends I have made in game and just having a world where I can lose myself in the simple beauty of my surroundings when real life gets ugly.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your fight and if you need to vent or cry or whatever, know that you can talk to me.

hugs

HUGS likewise! ;.; <3 <3

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Reem.3578

Reem.3578

Hope you get better asap and win this fight! i’m sure the whole tyria stands united and prays for you! Remember that we’re all at your back may the six watch over you! <3

“You judge too much with your eyes alone…”

And yes, i play [Teef] :)

Posted by: Doombringer BG.3740

Doombringer BG.3740

OP, buy Essiac helps with the cancer better than the chemo and you won’t lose your hair.

Sylv.5324

I already lost most of it, so that’s not a problem, but I will look into it!

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Sylv, I shared your inspirational story with our Live Stream tonight. No names, no identifiers, just simply shared that Guild Wars 2 was helping get one of our players get through a tough time. I know that will be appreciated by our players, and that they join us in wishing you a swift and full recovery.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

Sylv, I shared your inspirational story with our Live Stream tonight. No names, no identifiers, just simply shared that Guild Wars 2 was helping get one of our players get through a tough time. I know that will be appreciated by our players, and that they join us in wishing you a swift and full recovery.

It’s always amazing to find developers who truly care about the community, and make great games at the same time.

as for OP, keep fighting, you can make it through this!

Posted by: UKI Unknown.5094

UKI Unknown.5094

Sylv,

Thank you for being so vulnerable and open about your personal life. Stories like yours are not only inspirational to others but are especially helpful to fellow cancer patients like me. The road is long and tough, and while things in your life have to take a back seat, I encourage you to keep fighting and stay strong.

I’ve learned a lot through this trial, and it’s amazing how much this kind of difficulty puts life into perspective. Regardless of what life throws at you, I’ve found it’s best to look at it as an opportunity to develop character and to not become bitter. I realize that is easier said than done, but it has truly made a difference in my outlook on life, and while it doesn’t fix the problem, it equips you to handle it. If you haven’t already, seriously consider finding a support group, friends, religious institution, etc to walk with you through this. It has been especially helpful to me and I hope it is beneficial to you also.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you the best as you go through this!

Posted by: draugris.9872

draugris.9872

I think it tells a lot about the GW2 community that threads like this are possible. All the best to you Sylv, stay strong bro.

Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Stay strong darling, and keep fighting! Both me and my snowman companion, along with the Aurora Glade Fun SIG (special interests group) are rooting for you. And I hope you get to enjoy Halloween with us.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Oak Grove.5627

Oak Grove.5627

Wishing to you a full and speedy recovery. It’s wonderful that you’ve found comfort in GW2. Stay strong and focused and continue to have fun in Tyria.

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

I also wish you also a full and speedy recovery, I also completely understand how little things like GW2 can help to take you out of real life little bit.

Again, I wish you good luck, I hope completely recover form this disease.

Posted by: skaia.9582

skaia.9582

Sylv, maybe you can look into getting a laptop holder like this for your bed?

http://www.japantrendshop.com/lying-down-laptop-stand-p-1539.html
http://www.lapdawg.com/lapdawg-x4.html

There are numerous models out there that are similar, and you can probably even DIY one.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Posted by: Kilo.2539

Kilo.2539

God-Speed friend. Stay strong, and head-up!

Posted by: Reklan.8351

Reklan.8351

Good luck and speedy recovery, if your ever in Lions Arch, I’ll buy you a drink, and toast your deeds..

Sylv.5324

Sylv, maybe you can look into getting a laptop holder like this for your bed?

http://www.japantrendshop.com/lying-down-laptop-stand-p-1539.html
http://www.lapdawg.com/lapdawg-x4.html

There are numerous models out there that are similar, and you can probably even DIY one.

Best wishes for your recovery!

Thank you for the links, I’ve been wanting exactly one of these! The Japanese one is better but sold out (I need to lie down most of the time because the nodules hurt so bad, and thst one flipped forward) so I will try to find a similar one. No did because I am allergic to sawdust. :< or I’D make one out of wood and some clamps.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Sylv.5324

Thank you! ;.; It’s been rough because my chemo has not been covered by insurance, so the struggle to get that set up whilst dealing with the new spreading tumors and pain has been hell. So this has been one of the few nice things to happen.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I wish you the very best! My sister has cancer as well, and she continues to play GW2 to help get her mind off of things and just take a moment for herself. Tangentially I know what your going through and it’s hard to stay positive but I do believe that a positive mental outlook helps the body heal. I will add you to my thoughts and prayers.