Guild Wars on PC and Consoles?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

With more PC games releasing on console, I think GW2 would do very good on console. Look at Diablo 3 or Destiny. Those two games are so kitten good on console. Diablo 3 on PC was pretty boring, played Diablo 2 on PC years ago, but Diablo 3 on playstation is so kitten good. I’m sure GW2 would do magnificent on console.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

hook up a controller and you are all set

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

My PC is hooked up on 60 Inch TV and I play on xbox360 controller on my sofa since GW2 Beta and I still do today.

Console is a bad idea because it will limit ArenaNet’s workflow in terms of updates and adding new zones and such. Trust me I played FFXI which is MMO on Console and every expansion pack they needed a new game/disc you needed to install which took hours and it was annoying.

The speed of updates right now is possible in GW2 because PC performance and the servers are fast. Just keep it on PC and play it like a console like I am! It feels the same but better!

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Dreamy is right, not to mention that ANet would have to get clearance from every console company for every update and patch, which would greatly slow any new content and feature releases. PC is a much better platform for this kind of game.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Consoles can’t handle GW2.

And no, turning every graphics option to low is not a valid argument.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Consoles can’t handle GW2.

And no, turning every graphics option to low is not a valid argument.

Wouldn’t even work, anyways.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Releasing for console would effectively triple development time of any content and features. nopls

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

With more PC games releasing on console, I think GW2 would do very good on console. Look at Diablo 3 or Destiny. Those two games are so kitten good on console. Diablo 3 on PC was pretty boring, played Diablo 2 on PC years ago, but Diablo 3 on playstation is so kitten good. I’m sure GW2 would do magnificent on console.

What is the “benefit” of playing a game on a console rather than on a PC? A different control device? You can use those with PCs too, just so ya know.

P.s. Destiny is a shooter, shooters suck without mouse.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

What is the “benefit” of playing a game on a console rather than on a PC? A different control device? You can use those with PCs too, just so ya know.

A wider audience.

I’m a hardcore PC gamer, but there can be no denying the console gamer population is far larger

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

A wider audience.

I’m a hardcore PC gamer, but there can be no denying the console gamer population is far larger

Appealing to a wider audience is always risky. Suddenly you have a lot more people expressing their opinion on a certain matter, maybe even wanting the content changed into a completely different direction.

Regarding your PS: yes you are right but the audience is big enough and they shaped that genre into that what it is right now. Slow, boring shooters with no cool settings, weapons without recoil and no level curve.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

A wider audience.

Hmm, maybe that’s the theoretical big project they’re working on.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the PC is superior in every way and doesn’t cost anything extra to release on, you have a hard time to find even one reason to release GW2 on any console.

Posted by: John.2086

John.2086

I wonder.. if all console games were available on PC, would anyone really buy a console?
I mean.. a PC can just do much more than the consoles. (also, better graphics. if you have the right hardwares)

OP, the reason that you might have felt D3 was more fun on console is because the game actually is a bit different from the PC version.

Personally, MMORPG should be played with mouse and keyboard; but that’s just me.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

rely depends if you care for graphics and so on a console have a limit to that a PC don’t have that because you can upgrade every part in your PC to make it beter and faster

if you PC is build for that

for me i want to get the max out of every mmorpg
so yea a high end game PC is the thing for me

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

All ANet has to do is only implementing proper own integrated Controler Support for GW2 for using for example X360 Controlers so that Players can easily switch via the Options Menu between Mouse & Keyboard controls and Controler gameplay together with a for a controler designed UI changes to reduce the amount of needed control buttons to a minimum through the usage of more ring menus and the like with that you have quick access to many different thigns via the controler by just 1 button click, whereas you have on the keyboard like 10 different own buttons for each single function one.

GW2 will never get onto consoles, it would be a ttoal weaste of time, money and alot of ressources that could be spent a ton times better into significantly improvign the pc game for everyone and givign those people, which just prefer controler gameplay over mouse and keyboard controls just a well designed and good integrated support function for controlers like the X360 controler to use it.

I’d personalyl prefer to use at any time a by Anet self made and integrated solution thats part of the game, than to rely myself on external third party programs just to be able to play the game on contrler and that not every really miuch fluidly, because third party programs will never work as much as good integrated with a game, than when the developers make for their game an own solution to this that functionizes from behin on with every aspect of the game.
Third Party programs are always a risk for game performance, besides of them beign also a risk to get your accounts banned…

So I personally would use controler gameplay in GW2 only, if it comes integrated to the game through ANet self and not as a third party program…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I wonder.. if all console games were available on PC, would anyone really buy a console?
I mean.. a PC can just do much more than the consoles. (also, better graphics. if you have the right hardwares)

With emulation software many are.

Your forgetting price point, ease of use and shelf-life. Consoles are atypically cheaper and require less maintenance and upkeep. My 7 year old sister doesn’t have a clue about driver updates, anti-virus software or de-fragging but she has no issue putting a disc in my PS4 and playing Lego Marvel, neither does my grandfather who is hooked on the Last of Us…his first ever video game. You also don’t have to upgrade till the next gen console is released.

Consoles will always appeal to a broader market for such reasons.

I’d say next gen will be the dawn of MMORPG’s on a larger scale for consoles but I don’t ever really see to many cross-platform one’s being released due mainly to the PC always being a few steps ahead of any console, most of which are using PC parts that are already out-dated for gamers with PC rigs at release and also the OS differences and conflicts entailed.

I’d say at a guess it will always be a separate market with it’s own titles. In saying I would also guess it will be the Blizzards and Anets of the world being the people making said games. I’d be highly surprised if there weren’t already such plans for the future from the top dogs in the PC market.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Genlog.4983

Genlog.4983

i saw the spec of the PS4 8 core 1.6 GHZ
there GPU is 800 MHZ

my PC is 8 core 4.0 GHZ
My GPU 1140 MHZ

so in tech terms my is better then the PS4
so how wil a PS4 handle a heavy game like GW2 then ??

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

i saw the spec of the PS4 8 core 1.6 GHZ
there GPU is 800 MHZ

my PC is 8 core 4.0 GHZ
My GPU 1140 MHZ

so in tech terms my is better then the PS4
so how wil a PS4 handle a heavy game like GW2 then ??

The same way the PS3 handled Arkham City, and the PS4 handling Planetside 2.

Posted by: vifesprit.3514

vifesprit.3514

Please, not another Watch Dogs syndrome, please …

Posted by: sirian.4981

sirian.4981

Has anyone here tried PvP with a controller? I mean its definitely going to be slower than with a mouse and keyboard, but how much worse is it?

Also, if they do make a console version, it would have to be segregated from the PC version as mouse+keyboard is simply going to give you more precise control and a faster response time than a controller. They would also need to rework a lot of content to account for this. Probably introduce an autofacing feature otherwise PvP would be a massive pain(try hitting someone who can walk right through you when you have to turn with an analog stick).

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Good luck trying to get 1080p60 on console
for wvw zerg, 720p30 is probably a more realistic goal

Posted by: Jexx.6471

Jexx.6471

I think it’d be cool, and it would expand the player base.

Jexx – Jaedaia – Jyrvak Ghostspark – Johanna Snowkin – Jennifer Cloud
Thief – Engineer – Elementalist – Mesmer – Guardian

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I’m not really sure the console market is that much larger. Intel among others has been making some noise about the PC gaming market overtaking them recently. Haven’t been able to easily find graphics on this but there is an article from 2011 that pointed to the gap narrowing:
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/97047-thank-you-farmville-pc-gaming-will-soon-overtake-consoles
Apparently PC actually took over ahead of schedule in 2013. The gap in hardware is bigger:
http://www.jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report/

So, while there is some appeal in reaching out to the console market, not really sure it’s important enough given that the game isn’t designed for it and would be a little tricky to adapt (mainly thinking of the 10 skills thing).

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: MastaNeenja.1537

MastaNeenja.1537

Sure they can put it on console, anything to get Anet more money so they will finally have the resources they need to give us a campaign or some kind of purchasable expansion thing with new permanent content which would have more utilities, traits, weapons, professions, zones to explore, and dungeons.

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

Anet has stated in the past they do not plan on ever releasing the game on consoles. Why? On PC if there are bugs and what not the can make a patch and release it anytime they want. On consoles, they have to wait for Sony or Microsoft to first approve it. Meaning PC users get it immediately while console users may have to wait up to 2 weeks.

Living story wouldn’t work either. On PC Anet can release it when they want and again on consoles they have to first wait to get it approved. Another thing is Sony and Microsoft may have a limit on how much content/patches may get released, the 360 had that.

GW2 on consoles would take to much control of the game away from Anet.

It’s like owning a house (the game on PC) they can do what ever they want to it as opposed to renting a house (the game on consoles) they would have to wait to get permission to do anything to it.

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

you know the fun thing about PC’s, you can adjust everything in the way you want it.
most PC players use the KBM but some rather use a controller, the PC has plenty of alternatives for that. (the X360 controller isn’t the only choice)
the only single good thing about a console is that games start the moment you enter the disk, then again, the PC can have every single game simply behind an icon on your desktop or startbar.
so no disk needed except for older games that still require the game disk (or when the PC doesn’t have internet), consoles need all kinds of back handed work to do the same and some are illegal.

so beside all the problems and profit loss Anet would have, it’s simply foolish to release GW2 on a console.
I’m still surprised that so many companies are foolish enough to focus on console-only games when the PC offers so much freedom, even from a technical standpoint it’s simply smarter to release a game on the PC.
I’m not saying that games should never be released on consoles, everyone has their own taste, but to grimp them self to a console only to realize the PC would free them up is just dumb.

really, when companies make a game for the console, they have to keep everything so simple because it still needs to work on a controller.
they did it on mass effect, 1 button for 3 functions and cut certain features out because it would not fit. (like jumping, they could’ve made the game with jumping included to make the flat combat more 3D but controllers only have so many buttons)

Wolfheart.1938

A wider audience.

plays a sound that indicates a wrong answer

My enjoyment of a game isn’t directly correlated to how many copies it has sold. In fact, I couldn’t care less. The OP is not suggesting how Anet could expand on the console market for economic reason (which I could totally understand), he is openly stating that GW2 (and other games) are better on console. I was just wondering why he thinks that.

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Quoting myself from a similar thread.

Please, no. Unless console players play with a mouse and a keyboard (which I doubt, because what’s the point playing a console then?) these players will become a liability in parties and group content. Better fix that Mac client many players are complaining about.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

Please, no. Unless console players play with a mouse and a keyboard (which I doubt, because what’s the point playing a console then?) these players will become a liability in parties and group content. Better fix that Mac client many players are complaining about.

Even better, they could put out a Linux client.

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Console will have their own servers and the game console version will be optimized for console.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The only thing consoles have going for them in terms of development is their uniformity. All <console model/brand> are the same. Identical hardware, software and no funny other bits of 3rd party software running on them at the same time.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Appealing to a wider audience is always risky. Suddenly you have a lot more people expressing their opinion on a certain matter, maybe even wanting the content changed into a completely different direction.

Regarding your PS: yes you are right but the audience is big enough and they shaped that genre into that what it is right now. Slow, boring shooters with no cool settings, weapons without recoil and no level curve.

I agree, look at Mass Appeal 2 and 3. No where near as good as the first customisation wise. The combat was great. But customisation being dropped and a lot of the RPG elects from the first game being dropped to appeal to a wider audience stopped them from being truly great.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

The only thing consoles have going for them in terms of development is their uniformity. All <console model/brand> are the same. Identical hardware, software and no funny other bits of 3rd party software running on them at the same time.

You’re partially right. However, there are several instances (mostly recently, but even older ones as well) where we have re-issues of consoles that have their specs adjusted.

For instance, there have been four different models of the PS3 released over the years. Later revisions had minor boosts to specs. It’s not a major change, but it’s enough that it still would have to be coded around in many instances. A lot of games “cheat” at using resources in order to trick the hardware into doing what they need it to. If you adjust those timings even slightly with more ram or a faster processor, it can make some jarring changes.

Rarely game-breaking, but still…

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

But still better than the near infinite range of configurations that exist in the PC world once you take hardware, OS and 3rd party software running into account.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Wolfheart.1938

@OP:

I may have worded the question aggressively but I was honestly curious about the answer, y u no answer me