Guild Wars on PS4 and Xbox One

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vova.5289

Vova.5289

Good evening.
I want to ask one more time, last time this question was asked 2 years ago, maybe something changed from that time. A lot of online games comes to ps4 and xone, games with open world like BDO and games with fast gameplay and with big community like overwatch. Maybe you change your mind, and we will see you at the E3 on Sony Press conference where you will introduce your game for ps4. You know how grate it is to play your game on big screen in living room.

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

The control scheme would be the biggest hurdle, there are options to make the game more controller friendly but they compromise some of the more in depth mechanics. Take ground targeting for AoE for example – you can choose auto target for this to work better with a controller, but you then lose the ability to target an area without a mob to target. I know there are probably keyboard / mouse options available for consoles, but most console users tend to gravitate to consoles for easy living room gaming and don’t want the hassle of a keyboard / mouse setup.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

This gets asked every few months, and there’s never an “official” response. However, it’s not likely to ever happen.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Assume no due to the complexity of patching for both systems.

They hate micro patches and GW2 has a ton of them.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

ESO’s consoles version allowed them to fix the issues with the game and develop much more content than when it was only on PC. They even sold more copies this year than on the initial launch.

It would be completely possible to port Guild Wars 2 to consoles and the game would be playable easily on controllers with some tweaks.

It’s either a lack of ressources or a lack of vision that, sadly, doesn’t make that possible.

Maybe Anet doesn’t have console programmers.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I suppose it would open the market for the game but to make it work in consoles.. well that would be interesting to see.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

ESO’s consoles version allowed them to fix the issues with the game and develop much more content than when it was only on PC. They even sold more copies this year than on the initial launch.

It would be completely possible to port Guild Wars 2 to consoles and the game would be playable easily on controllers with some tweaks.

It’s either a lack of ressources or a lack of vision that, sadly, doesn’t make that possible.

It will be “playable” on ps4 pro and that new xbone. At best. Probably with unstable fps and overheating. Unless they spend a lot of time and money rebuilding half the game.

(edited by TheRandomGuy.7246)

Posted by: Legendary Grenth.3561

Legendary Grenth.3561

Good evening.
I want to ask one more time, last time this question was asked 2 years ago, maybe something changed from that time. A lot of online games comes to ps4 and xone, games with open world like BDO and games with fast gameplay and with big community like overwatch. Maybe you change your mind, and we will see you at the E3 on Sony Press conference where you will introduce your game for ps4. You know how grate it is to play your game on big screen in living room.

You can do all this already, HDMI to your tv, most tv’s have that now… I use a program that’s pretty good only thing is its impossible to type so you need to use onscreen keyboard. I have an Okay setup to play like this cough with a controller cough but I never use it. if you PM me when im in game I mgiht be able to help you out with it… maybe if I ever log in

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The GW2 game engine is still very limited in terms of being able to use threads which means core performance is quiet important. XBone and PS4 have 8 low performance cores. Each of those cores have roughly 1/3rd the performance of a core from an Intel i5-2500K. The game engine would need a complete redesign.

Those other MMOs use game engines that have a version optimized for those platforms. In the case of Tera which was announced earlier this month, the Unreal Engine 3.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

it might affect the game to a negative path so i vote for no
dont fix what aint broken

action combat made mmos better lol

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Blizzard hasnt done it with WOW, and if it doesnt work there it wont work anywhere.
Its a similar argument for no ports to Linux.
You have to then support multiple platforms and need multiple sets of support people, multiple sets of coders , as well as multiple sets of updates .
Too much expense for too little return.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

no thank you . and it is just something that will never work very well for the xbox or ps4 at all . and anet will never do it for the reason they will never make a deal with microsoft or playstation at all ever . so again no thank you please . and if they ever did i still would not play it at all even if you made it come in pink !!

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I’m just trying to imagine the minimum number of unique button input needed to play the game, not counting communication with other players. OK, so there’s interact with objects (1), open the menu – which could include inventory and hero panel (2), then 10 skills (unless you want to reduce that number) (3-12). Probably one more to quickly open the map for convenience (13). Are there enough buttons on a game controller to accommodate all of that? Or can you think of a way to combine those pretty basic controls to the game?

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Think how it would play havoc with the gem store as well. On the PC, it automatically connects you to paypal if you use that option to pay, not going to happen on a console and the way Sony and Microsoft are they would probably want you to purchase gems direct from them so they could get their cut.
Than as others have said the patches. Patches on a console have to go through a long process before being released so doing a patch even once a month would be a tedious process if even possible so forget about 2 patches in a week or even in a day.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I’m just trying to imagine the minimum number of unique button input needed to play the game, not counting communication with other players. OK, so there’s interact with objects (1), open the menu – which could include inventory and hero panel (2), then 10 skills (unless you want to reduce that number) (3-12). Probably one more to quickly open the map for convenience (13). Are there enough buttons on a game controller to accommodate all of that? Or can you think of a way to combine those pretty basic controls to the game?

It’s absolutely possible to obtain that with minimal additional development effort; if nothing else, a “hold button for menu, move selector to pie slice” style UI is pretty common on console, and works decently to expand less frequently accessed options. (eg: inventory, world map, etc.)

None of which matters, really, because porting a PC game to a console is a programming effort roughly on par with writing one from scratch. The two share approximately no common ancestry in terms of how they work, are used, etc.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

If they would handle GW2 on PS4 like its completely own Game Version with own unique dedicated servers, with its completel own development team behind it, its own unique gemstore, like running the console versions like a cloned twins on own servers.

I would most likely buy the whole game with a new account for that extra again and completely switch over to console, due to me knowing, that I#d be performance wise like a 100% better GW2 player with a gamepad in my hands, than playing the game with mouse n keyboard and it would be for me also a much more immersive experience to be able to play the game on my big Tv, than playing it on my much smaller LCD desktop that is only like a quarter of the size of my TV as big.

When FF14 can have even crossplay between PC and console players of their game, why shouldn’t ANet be able to do that as well? Heck, like said, I’d be even happy enough of the console ports get handled as their completely own seperate game version with its own independent from the pc version game development teams and own gemstore, if that would raise the chances of GW2 coming to consoles online (and that for free to play online, if you also own the PC version and link for this the console version of the game with the pc version to unlock the free to play on console, otherwise you have to pay MS/Sony monthly fees for their online services to be able to play online, because it would make no sense to port GW2 to consoles, if you had there then to pay a monthly fee just to be able to play the game on the consoles online.
If that would happen, then I can also stay directly at my pc version and working on a console version would be only wasted time, when players and the end can’t play the game on consoles then also for free like they can on PC

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Blackhearted.1264

Blackhearted.1264

Lol @ the idea of this game running on a console. This game’s engine runs like crap on pc, even pc’s far more powerful than consoles, so it should go without saying it’d fail miserably on console. And no, don’t think anet would bother fixing up the engine for console when they haven’t even bothered making it any better on the pc during this games 4.5 years since launch.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Blizzard hasnt done it with WOW, and if it doesnt work there it wont work anywhere.
Its a similar argument for no ports to Linux.
You have to then support multiple platforms and need multiple sets of support people, multiple sets of coders , as well as multiple sets of updates .
Too much expense for too little return.

WoW might have been the most successful Western MMO a few years ago and spawned a lot of half-hearted imitations but they don’t actually set the rules for the format.

If Anet never did anything until Blizzard had done it first then the entire Guild Wars franchise literally wouldn’t exist.

Having said that I agree with the people saying Anet have never said anything on this topic and it’s safe to assume that’s because they have no intention of doing it.

Yes other MMOs have come out on consoles, but as far as I know all of those games were planned to come out on console since early in their development (including Elder Scrolls Online where the console release was delayed by a year) so the game was built from the ground up to work. There’s a lot more than just the control system or how cash shop payments are made that needs to be considered, like whether the engine is compatible with the hardware and how much it’d cost to get updates through their certification process. It would be A lot of work.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

According to people on the ESO forum it’s the other way around – the game got so little content in it’s first year (a grand total of 1 new map) because they were spending all their time and resources building the console version and once they got that out of the way they were able to focus on improving the game.

(Also if you tell the ESO forum the console version allowed them to fix the issues they’d laugh at you, and then flame you until the topic was locked. According to the forum the game was broken on release and all they’ve done is slightly change the ways it’s broken. But then I’m pretty sure people say that on every MMOs forum.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

nope! /15charrs

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

(Also if you tell the ESO forum the console version allowed them to fix the issues they’d laugh at you, and then flame you until the topic was locked. According to the forum the game was broken on release and all they’ve done is slightly change the ways it’s broken. But then I’m pretty sure people say that on every MMOs forum.)

<looks at WoW forums>

<looks at how many times a WoW “killer” was gonna dethrone it because of feature X>

….naaah, mate. that’d never happen, people predicting the doom of something if their favorite feature doesn’t get implemented….