Guild chat livestream notes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Guild Chat livestream notes: copied from Dulfy

General stuff from Colin
More polish in the next quarterly update. Spring update is chance to address some of the feedback from HoT. You should be able to play in a short of amount time and make meaningful progress. We are going to take a look at that. Some areas ended more grindy than we would like.

Finish the fractal backpack.
Spring update is to fix things in HoT that didn’t really align with our vision.
We are able to talk about the WvW resurgence update earlier than we thought. Details coming soon. WvW took 5 years to develop and we are working on it as fast as we can. WvW player culling took 1 year of our most senior engineer to fix.

Shatterer Update
Sean Hughes – Game Designer. Worked on the new branded that spawn in the fight. Alot of the open world mobs are boring and follow a regular pattern of attack you, wait for 3 seconds, and then attack you again. The HoT mobs were more interesting and we remade branded mobs based on that.
McKenna Berdrow – Game Designer. Worked on achievements and decorations.
Andrew Gray – Game Designer – Worked on the Shatterer abilities, gliding and the siege weapons

How did the shatterer revamp came about?
One of the legendary precursor collections was blocked by the old Shatterer since you could perm blind it. There were also a few safe zones that people could stand in and cheese the fight. These were simple fixes that would take only a few days. Then we added breakbar and gliding.
We already have a few world bosses that need organized map/guild to beat it. Since it was a level 40-50 zone, we didn’t want it to be overly difficult. The achievement are difficult.
We are looking into scaling issues with his breakbar since no one has broken his bar yet and there is a cool animation associated with it.
We wanted the achievements to guide players through the fight and all the mechanics.
For sieges, Mortar had the most changes. Before you had a button to turn left, a button to turn right and a button to guess how far to shoot. It turned really slow and was really ineffective. The med kit skill was also changed to apply protection/splash heal on hit and also drop a med kit. Turrets have a CC skill added to help with breakbar and now has a longer range.
Non HoT players can still get the branded backpack since there is only one achievement that requires gliding and you only need 10/11 of the achievements for the meta.
Branded mobs such as the elite Minotaur have a mechanic where it would pin a player down and pound them to death unless the player stun break or others break its breakbar. The elite Griffion would do more damage flying but if you break its bar, it would land and do less damage.
The Shatterer can imprison players in crystals while they are gliding in the air. If this happens, they would plummet to the ground and act as a bomb, dealing AoE damage to players when they land on the ground.
The developers loved the Gorseval tentacle stairway to Heaven that was posted on reddit.

Edit: added additional notes that were added to Dulfy’s post later.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

“WvW player culling took 1 year of our most senior engineer to fix.”

WvW player culling is what? Players disappearing from screen due to low char model limit? Or something else?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

WvW player culling is what? Players disappearing from screen due to low char model limit? Or something else?

Culling is a system that limits the range that you can see other players. It was a special problem in WvW as it meant enemy zergs could suddenly appear near you.

WvW: the end of culling

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

Culling is a system that limits the range that you can see other players. It was a special problem in WvW as it meant enemy zergs could suddenly appear near you.

WvW: the end of culling

Thank you!

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

so no new legendaries in spring? oh boy

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They didn’t say no new legendaries in spring as far as I know. I didn’t watch it though. But I think if they said that it would be in the notes. I wouldn’t make an assumption one way or another.

Posted by: Keriana.9635

Keriana.9635

Does that mean no Living World for the spring update?

Posted by: Raizen.7981

Raizen.7981

They didn’t say no new legendaries in spring as far as I know. I didn’t watch it though. But I think if they said that it would be in the notes. I wouldn’t make an assumption one way or another.

Yes but they announced ad infinitum completion. So I feel that if LS3/Raid wing/3 new leges would be released this spring, they would’ve announced it. Anyway, keeping a positive attitude

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

“We are able to talk about the WvW resurgence update earlier than we thought. "

We’ve been talking for years about the issues, can we just get to the part where something is actually done? Instead of talking about talking.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yes but they announced ad infinitum completion. So I feel that if LS3/Raid wing/3 new leges would be released this spring, they would’ve announced it. Anyway, keeping a positive attitude

They announced Ad Infinitum because it’s been the subject of many complaints and it was supposed to be in at launch, though. They’re fixing issues and that’s an issue people have.