Guild theif

Guild theif

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: themillwater.5846

themillwater.5846

We had a guy clean out our guild bank. Is this a reportable act? Is there really any point in reporting?

Guild theif

Posted by: Silberfederling.9302

Silberfederling.9302

No, had this lost 700g in blueprints. Even screens of him taunting us and of the history won’t help. This is entirely a player Problem.

Guild theif

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Can it still be called theft of you gave him the permission?

Guild theif

Posted by: Silas Eorth.7348

Silas Eorth.7348

We had the same thing happen to us. As soon as a newer member could withdraw items, they cleaned out the Guild Stash and deleted the character. At least that’s what we assume because when we checked the logs it showed everything was withdrawn by “Unknown User”. Thankfully our most valuable items were kept in Deep Cave and Treasure Trove where they had no access.

While it can’t hurt anything to send in a ticket, I don’t think that ANet can do much about this. The best thing to do in the future is ensure that only trusted members can withdraw. Also, try to keep the important stuff in the other bank sections and edit your member options so that only officers or trusted members have access.

Good luck getting this resolved. Yet again, in matters of guild issues, I fear that ANet may not be able to reverse the damage done.

Guild theif

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Can it still be called theft of you gave him the permission?

It’s theft, but it’s not against gw2 rules.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Guild theif

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

You basically put your trust in the wrong person unfortunately.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Guild theif

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

Okay, my next questions would be how many people in your guild had access to those valuables and how long did someone have to be in your guild for you to let them have the option of taking things you didn’t want them to have?

Guild theif

themillwater.5846

The permissions thing has been fixed, lessons learned. I just wasn’t sure about the reportable part. In the logs it is listed as unknown user. Does this mean the character or account has been deleted? Does it mean we were blocked?

Guild theif

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Strictly speaking this is not theft because they were given permission to withdraw those items by the guild. It’s extremely poor etiquette but not against the games rules.

Having said that I think it’s still worth reporting them. You won’t get the items back but it flags them as a person Anet may need to watch and if they have a pattern of behaviour like this they may be warned or even given a temporary ban.

In future (and for anyone else reading this) it’s a good idea to think seriously about what’s stored in the guild bank and who has access to it. In one guild I was a member of all members were allowed to have items from the bank but only officers could actually withdraw them. There was almost always an officer on so it wasn’t a problem for the rest of us but it stopped anyone abusing the system.

There are some automatic restrictions on guild banks (if I remember correctly free accounts can’t use them, new players have to wait 5 days or so and new members of the guild have to wait 3 days even if the account isn’t new).

But I think it’s also a good idea to have one or two ‘newbie’ ranks with only the absolute bare minimum of permissions (harmless ones like permission to display the guild emblem) so that people have to be manually given permission to access the bank and other important things by an officer. That way there’s no risk of someone joining the guild, waiting for the time limit to pass without drawing attention to themselves, stripping the guild bank and leaving before anyone knows who they are.

Even my personal bank guild which only has 3 members (myself, my husband and my free account) has a newbie rank just in case someone somehow got added.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Guild theif

Posted by: Bbear.7830

Bbear.7830

When you see ‘unknown user’ it just means someone who is no longer a member of the guild.

Guild rosters don’t work like a ‘friends’ list, they only show the character names/account id/level/crafting details of guild members – leave (or get kicked) and all that info vanishes.

Your only option in those circumstances is to have added each guildie to your own friends list and set a guild nickname to tell them apart from other friends (if your list is as humongous as mine).

Like the other guys said, best defense is to limit access to trusted officers and don’t put in anything you don’t want to be open to just anyone to take. My guild works on the principle of requests – folks browse what’s available and request withdrawals through the quartermaster or a senior officer, which are then mailed to the requester.

Fire, Ice, Storm…Heart of, Cold as, the Breeze that comes before.

Guild theif

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

We had a guy clean out our guild bank. Is this a reportable act? Is there really any point in reporting?

Maybe he doesn’t understand guild etiquette or assumes that everyone can grab those things? Like if there’s a sword and he grabs it he thinks a copy of the sword is there for everyone instead of it just being that one?

Guild theif

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Maybe he was just role-playing his thief.
But, yes, best way is to have a browse and request system. It’s more work for the officers but it prevents folks from taking advantage (assuming your officers are trustworthy!)

Can’t see a report doing any good.

Guild theif

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Just report / contact support. It can’t hurt even if you don’t believe it will do any good.

Im not going to pretend I know the exact rules but I think ArenaNet support most definitely can take action against their account. Assuming its not against the rules while it’s obviously talking about guild bank thieving is pretty stupid I think.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Guild theif

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

I was wondering why this was not in the “Thief” section. Note to myself: this is NOT about the guild called “Teef”.

Guild theif

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s a player problem without a player solution. In real life you have the courts as a recourse. Here, you may need to fine-tune your security, determine a core group to trust and let them retrieve items for people from the bank.

Guild theif

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

If you know who the player was, I’d go ahead and report him via a Support Ticket. Provide screenshots and details on what happened. You won’t be able to get back anything that was stolen, but if Anet sees proof that this person stole, they could be disciplined by Anet.

Guild theif

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

Yes!! I would most definitely report them. There may be nothing that Anet can do for you personally but if they receive enough reports concerning the same account(s) engaged in this type of behavior, they are bound to look into it more seriously.

Guild theif

Posted by: Freakshow.1809

Freakshow.1809

My old guild had this same issue once, the way we prevented future incidences was, we made a name roster where we listed the names of all our characters next to our MAIN characters. We also made it mandatory that they name and show us in-game at least 1 level 80 character and add the name of that character to our roster before they let you use the guild bank. That way we at-least had a fallback. Its not a garentee but it’s defiantly discouraging to would be thief’s.

You can also screen shot agreements between you and someone you allow access to it. They help with support tickets but it mostly depends on who is handling it on the other end.

Guild theif

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My old guild had this same issue once, the way we prevented future incidences was, we made a name roster where we listed the names of all our characters next to our MAIN characters. We also made it mandatory that they name and show us in-game at least 1 level 80 character and add the name of that character to our roster before they let you use the guild bank. That way we at-least had a fallback. Its not a garentee but it’s defiantly discouraging to would be thief’s.

You can also screen shot agreements between you and someone you allow access to it. They help with support tickets but it mostly depends on who is handling it on the other end.

I don’t know why you would need all that. You’ll have the person’s display name, which is not changeable unlike the character names. If he steals and leaves the guild, the display name will show on the guild roster as the display name (such as Player X.1234) has left the guild and then the date.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Guild theif

themillwater.5846

Thank you everyone for the feedback. We are working on getting things rebuilt now.

Guild theif

Posted by: Freakshow.1809

Freakshow.1809

I don’t know why you would need all that. You’ll have the person’s display name, which is not changeable unlike the character names. If he steals and leaves the guild, the display name will show on the guild roster as the display name (such as Player X.1234) has left the guild and then the date.

It was back when the game first came out. I’m not sure we had access to that info at the time. Ether way I don’t roll with that guild anymore. They had a lot of stupid rules as you can imagine. Hence why I left.

still screenshots and even letter agreements can be useful. It just depends on whos at the other end of the support ticket.

Guild theif

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

You can report the person. If Anet sees this individual repeatedly doing this, they may take action.

On the flip side, people really do need to get out of this fantasy that we’re all just here to have fun. That may have worked a decade ago, but not anymore. You can thank Eve Online for that.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!