Guild wars 2 anniversary sale [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Big discounts?
Caithe’s Bloom and Kasmer’s Staff were always 600 gems weren’t they?
I know the dagger was 600 at least.
A whole whopping 0% off sale!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to see them bringing some stuff back and adding new stuff. But I hope stuff being full price isn’t going to be the norm here.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Apologies if someone else has mentioned this..

So are we only getting to pay anet more money to celebrate that the game has been out 3 years?
No new content//events//even drops.. would be nice to have even birthday cupcakes drop from every mob.. that gave a temporary stat boost :v?

Just going to leave this here..

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Special_event

I’d rather they be working on the expansion than on silly distractions like birthday cupcakes.

Was that the reason why there wasn’t a birthday celebration on year one and year two. I was wondering. Too bad it’s not like Guild Wars 1 where they had celebrations even when they were working on an expansion.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/welcome-to-the-anniversary-sale/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/welcome-to-the-second-anniversary-10-day-sale/

Lol. I’m not counting gemstore sales as a celebration. A celebration is towns decorated. New events. New drops such as birthday cupcakes. Not items being sold to us, reduced prices or not.

It’s a sad day indeed when Guild Wars 1 and 2 players think buying something is the same as a celebration.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Is this anet saying ‘we need even more money to finish the xpac’.. or what..?

LOL…I knew they didn’t intend to release the xpan this year.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

So for this year’s anniversary, we have to buy our own presents? What happened to getting a present with some free goodies in it? Is it really that bad over there that we have to start paying for our gifts now?

I’m confused here.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

They’re not referring to the weapons when they mention discounts. They’re referring to those jump start bundles.

Also, this topic was near the top of the page when those other three were made. What’s up with that?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So are we only getting to pay anet more money to celebrate that the game has been out 3 years?
No new content//events//even drops.. would be nice to have even birthday cupcakes drop from every mob.. that gave a temporary stat boost :v?

I’d rather they be working on the expansion than on silly distractions like birthday cupcakes.

Was that the reason why there wasn’t a birthday celebration on year one and year two. I was wondering. Too bad it’s not like Guild Wars 1 where they had celebrations even when they were working on an expansion.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/welcome-to-the-second-anniversary-10-day-sale/

Lol. I’m not counting gemstore sales as a celebration. A celebration is towns decorated. New events. New drops such as birthday cupcakes. Not items being sold to us, reduced prices or not.

It’s a sad day indeed when Guild Wars 1 and 2 players think buying something is the same as a celebration.

Sorry, I quickly misread that as more of the false narrative that the sale was a cash grab by ANet that they had never ever done an anniversary sale before. Apologies.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Shen Slayer.3058

Big discounts?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to see them bringing some stuff back and adding new stuff. But I hope stuff being full price isn’t going to be the norm here.

I don’t remember the previous price were, but if what you say is true, than what a big slap in the face to call it a “sale”.

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

@SpyderArachnid

You get a present when your character exists for another year, did you somehow miss that the last 2 times?

@thread

Well ye, it’s a sale, not a party, why would you expect content with it. It was the same last year, and the year before that. Sales usually tend to focus on store things, bit normal.

Not saying new events/special drops/etc wouldn’t be nice, it’d be awesome. But since it was the same the previous 2 times i don’t quite get why ppl were expecting something different now.

(edited by dsslive.8473)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Big discounts?

I don’t remember the previous price were, but if what you say is true, than what a big slap in the face to call it a “sale”.

Call it ANet logic, when bringing things back at full price is a sale and a birthday celebration is the same as selling you something.

ANet may give it to you.

Behellagh.1468

Big discounts?

“for 21 days for big discounts, returning old favorites, and exciting new items”

They list three things there. Obviously Caithe and Kasmer’s stuff falls under “returning old favorites”. Just as obvious we will have a key sale and maybe bank tab/bag slots/character slot/collection expansion sales. It’s the exciting new items that may prove interesting.

RIP City of Heroes

Just a flesh wound.3589

Sorry, I quickly misread that as more of the false narrative that the sale was a cash grab by ANet that they had never ever done an anniversary sale before. Apologies.

Oh well. I’ve misread more than my fair share of posts. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

So for this year’s anniversary, we have to buy our own presents? What happened to getting a present with some free goodies in it? Is it really that bad over there that we have to start paying for our gifts now?

I’m confused here.

It’s Guild Wars 2’s birthday. If anything you should be buying it presents, not yourself.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

There will be limited edition items brought back -for- sale
There will also be current items in the Gem store -on- sale

It’s not that difficult.

Posted by: beastie.4536

beastie.4536

Oh fss at least give us some discount on the items to encourage us to buy gems.

Would be awesome if they could bring back Aviator Sunglasses, Bunny Ears and Wide Rim Glasses.

Mike O’Brien: "We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

(edited by beastie.4536)

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I’m confused here.

It’s Guild Wars 2’s birthday. If anything you should be buying it presents, not yourself.

Lol good point, and the way you do that is to buy gems to buy things from the sale!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Big discounts?

You know how if you buy something, the main page shows a purchase history with gem amount that lets you rebuy if still for sale?
That only works if its for sale at the same price you purchased for previously, if it is relisted at a different price the gem value of your purchase, and thus the ability to rebuy from that screen doesn’t come back.
So since Caithe’s Bloom is available for 600 (the same amount I paid before) that item in my history now shows a gem value that I could click on to buy again.
Were it priced differently it would not.

And I’m sure plenty of people will quibble about the term “sale” and point out you can have things “for sale” without being “on sale”.
The only reason I raise an eyebrow is their blog post specifically says “Check in every day for 21 days for big discounts”, and I was figuring new stuff would be full price while returning items would be discounted.
Or at least something discounted every day.
Probably one of those weird wording things where the people making the announcements don’t really know how to english.
Just odd to have a first day of a “big discount” sale not have any discounts lol.

Note, the jump start packages do not count as discounted.
Because they have never been for sale, they cannot be called discounted
That’s like wal-mart taking an item that has always been for sale at $5.99 and adding a sign saying “was 8.99!”
Which I’ve seen them do.
Putting something new up with a “used to be more expensive” tag is disingenuous at best.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

@SpyderArachnid

You get a present when your character exists for another year, did you somehow miss that the last 2 times?

Yeah the 25th (this Tuesday) is when we get our presents. But from what I was hearing in these threads, I thought they were talking about how this is the birthday thing for this specific year. Gem store sales.

Thus why I said I was confused.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Is this actually going to be a sale or just listing items that haven’t been on the TP for awhile?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Is this actually going to be a sale or just listing items that haven’t been on the TP for awhile?

See Behellagh’s post above you.

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Pls Bunny Ears OK THKS BAI

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Big discounts?

You know how if you buy something, the main page shows a purchase history with gem amount that lets you rebuy if still for sale?
That only works if its for sale at the same price you purchased for previously, if it is relisted at a different price the gem value of your purchase, and thus the ability to rebuy from that screen doesn’t come back.
So since Caithe’s Bloom is available for 600 (the same amount I paid before) that item in my history now shows a gem value that I could click on to buy again.
Were it priced differently it would not.

And I’m sure plenty of people will quibble about the term “sale” and point out you can have things “for sale” without being “on sale”.
The only reason I raise an eyebrow is their blog post specifically says “Check in every day for 21 days for big discounts”, and I was figuring new stuff would be full price while returning items would be discounted.
Or at least something discounted every day.
Probably one of those weird wording things where the people making the announcements don’t really know how to english.
Just odd to have a first day of a “big discount” sale not have any discounts lol.

Note, the jump start packages do not count as discounted.
Because they have never been for sale, they cannot be called discounted
That’s like wal-mart taking an item that has always been for sale at $5.99 and adding a sign saying “was 8.99!”
Which I’ve seen them do.
Putting something new up with a “used to be more expensive” tag is disingenuous at best.

As someone else already pointed out, the line states:

“Check in every day for 21 days for big discounts, returning old favorites, and exciting new items!”

“Big Discounts” – this could cover the new packs, since if you tally up everything in them, they are cheaper than buying piece meal. We’ll see what the other 20 days bring.

“Returning Favorites” – says nothing about them being “on sale” just that they will be back “for sale”, and this covers Caithe’s Blossom, and Kasmeer’s Staff

“New items” – definitely covers the packs. Yes, they are essentially all existing items, but them being bundled is “new” (wouldn’t necessarily call it exciting personally, but it’s new).

And yes, there is a distinct difference between “for sale” and “on sale.”

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

See Behellagh’s post above you.

Why? You are the one having trouble with semantics.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

… I am? Where in this thread have I been confused about word meanings? I was just bringing to your attention that Behellagh had already pointed out that there are three categories. Returning items as you asked about plus new items and discounted items.

Posted by: Silverlock.3591

Silverlock.3591

Anyone know if the max bag and max bank slots were increased as well? No sense buying the high end stuff if you can’t use it.

Shen Slayer.3058

Anyone know if the max bag and max bank slots were increased as well? No sense buying the high end stuff if you can’t use it.

No increase.

Posted by: GummyBearSummoner.7941

GummyBearSummoner.7941

does anyone know if the new items that they bring in will also be a one day thing or will it be on the gemstore permanently?

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Pls Bunny Ears OK THKS BAI

Bunny lives matter

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: dominozz.7413

dominozz.7413

does anyone know if the new items that they bring in will also be a one day thing or will it be on the gemstore permanently?

the first 10 days of sales will keep stacking up, but only until August 30!
( https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/anniversary-sale/ )

Posted by: Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

I just wanna see the Sport Sunglasses in the store. Seen the others, but never those. Please Anet? =’(

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Twenty days of waiting to see if I can buy bunny ears.

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

Honestly it feels to me like..

“Hey guys, you’ve played the game for 3 years? Great! Buy some stuff from us that we discontinued in the shop!”

when as a long time player of gw1 and gw2 it feels it should more be..

“Hey guys! That’s for sticking with us for 3 years! You’re the reason this game is as great as it is! Here’s some stuff to celebrate!”

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

“Hey guys, you’ve played the game for 3 years? Great! Buy some stuff from us that we discontinued in the shop!”

“Hey guys! That’s for sticking with us for 3 years! You’re the reason this game is as great as it is! Here’s some stuff to celebrate!”

Exactly what I thought when I read the details.

I guess they need more money to develop HoT since pre-orders wasn’t enough.

“Thanks for playing for three years! Here, spend more money as thanks!”

Boo, hiss.

Just a flesh wound.3589

(Feels Arietta The Broken’s forehead) Just as I thought. You’re feverish and you’ve started hallucinating about a game that doesn’t have a gem store focus. Here. Take two aspirin and lie down till your fever breaks. When you return to normal you can start throwing money at the store like everyone else.

Happy Birthday Guild Wars 2!

ANet may give it to you.

fixit.7189

When in doubt, drive up gem sales ftw. Why reward people who have been loyal for a long time when you can try to get MORE money from them instead? Sadly, many you will fall for it and encourage more greed like this.

(edited by fixit.7189)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Yeah . . . I’m hoping this is only the opening salvo since it’s the first day. Otherwise. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

fixit.7189

Sorry, my limit is 180 bucks in last month or two here; I think that’s more than enough for one game for the time being. Greed is greed I guess. Boo hiss.

Behellagh.1468

When in doubt, drive up gem sales ftw. Why reward people who have been loyal for a long time when you can try to get MORE money from them instead? Sadly, many you will fall for it and encourage more greed like this.

You’re looking for a longevity reward because I’m assuming you wouldn’t want to reward players who started last week. Closest thing we have for that are birthday presents for characters.

Of course you could hope they could do some complicated filter of players who did content of at least 1/2 hour per day and sum up the number of those days and draw a line and those above get something. Yeah. Be happy with B-day gifts.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m actually quite happy about it. Well, I will be if bank tabs and character slots are on sale since I’d like to get another tab and 2 slots, but I don’t think either is worth the full price.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

fixit.7189

Would have been nice to have some events for this instead of just bringing back old cash shop items instead and calling it a gift; I personally do not think asking for more money is a gift but that’s just me. I mean game has not had actual content updates in a looooong time and I expect HoT won’t show up until december at the very least so the end result is more waiting around bored.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

They did the queens jubilee the first year, and had scarlet show up at the end. People thought that would be the yearly thing for GW2. Sadly, it wasn’t.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Exactly what I thought when I read the details.

I guess they need more money to develop HoT since pre-orders wasn’t enough.

“Thanks for playing for three years! Here, spend more money as thanks!”

Boo, hiss.

Yeah… except for the fact that the expansion is most likely already basically paid for and more or less ready you mean?

Getting money now would not really do much for development for several months, by which time the expansion is most likely already out.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Behellagh.1468

Did they do anything during last year’s aniversary other than a sale? I remember a lot of press about the various parts of Feature Pack 2 being talked about. We still had LW 2 going so maybe that’s why and this year without any distraction it’s so obvious.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sonickeyblade.8415

Sonickeyblade.8415

Well there was no event for the 1st year or 2nd year… so most people weren’t expecting one for the 3rd year. Especially with the expansion taking up all resources.

But since the sale is the only way to get some rare items… yes people are hype for this.

And since I missed a ton of items and previous sales… I am one of those people. Bring on the sales!

P.S: I’ll admit, I’m perplexed that it’s being done on a daily thing. I thought everything would show up at once, but this is my first year live… so yeah. Well, I’ve been logging in daily for the daily log in events anyway. So as long as I don’t miss a single day…

Just a flesh wound.3589

They did the queens jubilee the first year, and had scarlet show up at the end. People thought that would be the yearly thing for GW2. Sadly, it wasn’t.

Yah. However I have never have thought of that as being connected to the game’s anniversary. It started August 6th and the earliest anniversary date is August 24th. I always thought of it as being another Living Story update that just happened to be in the same month as the anniversary. Since they had updates frequently back then it feels more coincidental than meant. In addition, it was a jubilee for the Queen’s 10th year of reigning. This type of jubilee is typically a one time event, not yearly.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yah. However I have never have thought of that as being connected to the game’s anniversary. It started August 6th and the earliest anniversary date is August 24th. I always thought of it as being another Living Story update that just happened to be in the same month as the anniversary. Since they had updates frequently back then it feels more coincidental than meant. In addition, it was a jubilee for the Queen’s 10th year of reigning. This type of jubilee is typically a one time event, not yearly.

Indeed. But at the time ANet hyped it up as part of the first year celebration of the game, and if I remember right it ran for nearly all of August.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Just a flesh wound.3589

Indeed. But at the time ANet hyped it up as part of the first year celebration of the game, and if I remember right it ran for nearly all of August.

Did they hype it as a first year celebration of the game? Or is this two things you are conflating together?

Patch notes
LIVING WORLD
Queen’s Jubilee
A celebration to commemorate ten years of Queen Jennah’s rule is about to kick off in Divinity’s Reach! The queen has commissioned a new gladiatorial arena for the occasion—the Crown Pavilion—as a shining symbol of her people’s endurance. Take a hot air balloon ride with dignitaries from across Tyria to the capital of the Krytan nation, and be there for the opening ceremony. Join in the festivities and compete in ceremonial combat in Her Majesty’s honor!”

I see nothing about the game’s anniversary here. All it says is Living World. The queen’s 10th year anniversary.

Wiki
“Queen’s Jubilee is a release launched on August 6, 2013. The release deals with the events surrounding the tenth anniversary of Queen Jennah’s coronation and features The Crown Pavilion, a new zone where players can embrace the human spirit and participate in the Queen’s Gauntlet.”

Perhaps you can post where they hyped this as having any connection to the game’s anniversary as I seem to be missing it. A Living World event in the same month as the anniversary, when they were having Living World events each month isn’t a compelling argument to me.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are plenty of things for which we can critique ANet; there’s no need to invent issues out of tin foil.

Every year, even in GW1, there have been anniversary sales, regardless of whether there is new content or not. In 2015, you might have noticed that ANet has put most new content on hold for HoT.

In other words, there’s nothing surprising or unusual about the anniversary sale. If it’s not your cup of tea, don’t buy anything. I’m holding out for discounts and/or new shinies.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Big discounts?

They did the same thing last anniversary, so it’s nothing to be really surprised about by now. Generally speaking, there’s two patterns you can expect with gem store items:

• If it’s on the store year-round, it’ll get a discount during sales (30%~50%). You should be saving gems on armor skins, outfits, services, and upgrades.
  • If it isn’t available on the store for most of the year, it will show up during sales at full price. If you missed a limited time release (white/black feather wings, grenth’s hood, etc.) then this might be the chance to pick them up.

If last year’s anniversary sale is any indicator, sale items will only be available/be on sale for one day before being rotated out for the next day’s sale, however there will be a “catchup sale” on the last weekend where everything that was re-released/put on sale will hit the gem store again, so you have all of two chances.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

So the unidentified account bound dyes, are they just regular dyes? Special edition dyes? Can I get duplicates of dyes I already unlocked?

Sorry, never bought these packs so no idea. I’m a little low on good looking dyes but my past record with buying dye packs has left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

no discount on a sale? thats just bad..